Movies We've Seen Thread

I don't know how anyone can stand The Hobbit flicks on a regular flat screen. In IMAX they're a sight to behold and certainly worth the watch, but outside of a theater those movies are ******* clown shoes.

the eye candy couldn't save the sin of injecting orcs into every ******* scene.  even lake town !!!  and legolas ?  does he need the money ?  and tauriel gets a crush on fili because....because......because he said his mom misses him ?

ugh

just crap

the eye candy couldn't save the sin of injecting orcs into every ******* scene. even lake town !!! and legolas ? does he need the money ? and tauriel gets a crush on fili because....because......because he said his mom misses him ?

ugh

just crap

I completely agree. The scenes where anyone talks are insufferable and made me want to kill myself. But the river scene and Smaug in IMAX 3D definitely made it worth sitting through all the nonsense. I've come to the realization to just not pay attention when it's not an action scene.

At the very least I'm looking forward to seeing how Kevin Smith makes fun of this trilogy.

Edited by RutgersJetFan
  • Upvote 1

I am a big fan of Errol Morris, but The Unknown Known really misses. It's clear that Morris is completely outmatched by Rumsfeld. He shouldn't have tried to do to him what he tried to do with McNamara, and it's odd that he didn't know better considering his knowledge and experience.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Rewatched the first two Terminator movies for the first time in a while the past few days. They still rock and hold up well. The fact that the effects in T2 still look good by today's standards is a pretty big testament to Cameron's ingenuity. The chase scene is still one of the greatest ever. It's a damn shame Cameron didn't want to take it any further, such a lost opportunity to expand a really great sci-fi premise beyond the basic Skynet story. Here's to hoping T5 isn't as bad as T3 and McG's pile of sh*t.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

T2 is one of the best movies ever made.

Another movie I watch every time it's on: 2008 Incredible Hulk. The Hulk on campus scene + Hulk vs. Abomination are some of the best action Marvel's offered. I don't get what's not to like about both of those Hulk movies. Jennifer Connelly in the first one then some really good action in the second.

T2 is one of the best movies ever made.

Another movie I watch every time it's on: 2008 Incredible Hulk. The Hulk on campus scene + Hulk vs. Abomination are some of the best action Marvel's offered. I don't get what's not to like about both of those Hulk movies. Jennifer Connelly in the first one then some really good action in the second.

jennifer connelly is mine, stay away

My problem is that when I see anyone who was in Requiem for a Dream, it gives me horrific flashbacks.

I bought that DVD for like 5 dollars way back and never watched it.

jennifer connelly is mine, stay away

That face!

You know who's really, really, really, really hot? Gemma Arterton. Couldn't be in a good movie to save her life, but she's the best part of all the bad movies she's in.

Edited by SenorGato

If you haven't seen it, go watch Career Opportunities right now.

That face!

You know who's really, really, really, really hot? Gemma Arterton. Couldn't be in a good movie to save her life, but she's the best part of all the bad movies she's in.

I'll try to check that out thor.

jennifer is just pure perfection, exactly my taste

saw full metal jacket for the first time last night.

wow

don't know where to start.  I thought pyle was going to die in jokers arms at the end, not do that.

now I know where all those catch phrases come from like major malfunction

Edited by Larz

wow is right... how can it have taken so long to see FMJ? do you live in a cave :)

good question.  just never into war movies, and with kids don't get a chance to watch a lot of adult films.  it was on cable last night around midnight so I gave it a shot.

I still have only seen bits and pieces of apocalypse now

good question. just never into war movies, and with kids don't get a chance to watch a lot of adult films. it was on cable last night around midnight so I gave it a shot.

I still have only seen bits and pieces of apocalypse now

yea .. tbh I am not much of a war movie guy either... Just kind of a Kubrick buff and that movie is one of those classics that it seems like everyone has seen

The Killing vs Lolita. Which would you put on top?

interesting....

I'd go with the killing ... I like the genre better and have immensely enjoyed it's near direct descendants .. I think the influence of the work needs to be considered when ranking such things

and fwiw... I haven't actually watched either film in several years, although I own both.. that question took some thinking and has inspired me to watch them again...

much appreciated !

I flip back and forth with that question a lot. My answer is usually dependent on how recently I've watched Reservoir Dogs.

:)

exactly ..

I've been on a huge Kubrick run the past 2-3 years. Like a lot. Way more so than anything else. Even wound up reading Clarke's 2001 to help me dissect everything a little more. I think I'm finally ready to give the Napoleon box set a try too. I had always enjoyed A Clockwork Orange and The Shining, but I don't know why it took me so long to explore the rest of his stuff.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

I've been on a huge Kubrick run the past 2-3 years. Like a lot. Way more so than anything else. Even wound up reading Clarke's 2001 to help me dissect everything a little more. I think I'm finally ready to give the Napoleon box set a try too. I had always enjoyed A Clockwork Orange and The Shining, but I don't know why it took me so long to explore the rest of his stuff.

it's interesting... in many ways it's like exploring a bands entire catalog but it doesn't happen as directly for some reason... Typically when I really like a "new to me" album i begin to devour the rest of the bands catalog, but the same doesn't happen with movies... Maybe because its sometimes hard to discern the genius... is it the acting? the screenplay? director? cinematography? the synergy of its parts?

Kubrick was the first I did it with and the Kaufmann was the next ...

it's interesting... in many ways it's like exploring a bands entire catalog but it doesn't happen as directly for some reason... Typically when I really like a "new to me" album i begin to devour the rest of the bands catalog, but the same doesn't happen with movies... Maybe because its sometimes hard to discern the genius... is it the acting? the screenplay? director? cinematography? the synergy of its parts?

Kubrick was the first I did it with and the Kaufmann was the next ...

With Kubrick, I think age has a bit to do with it, at least for me. The first director I ever got into was Spielberg. Which is probably because I'm a 80s/90s child and the bulk of his prime encompassed the first 18 or so years of my life. Scorsese too, but that was only when I got old enough to start enjoying everything of his. Raging Bull and Goodfellas aren't too enthralling when you're 9. Also kind of funny that Scorsese hasn't really lost his touch, while I think Spielberg definitely has, (I think Minority Report and Munich are the only good movies he's made this century).

Throughout my 20s it was Ridley Scott, Coppola, and The Coens. Kind of in that order. Tarantino has always been there along the way too. But if you look at the order that I developed those interests, it kind of makes sense linearly. And at least when it came to me, I think a lot of experience was needed to truly appreciate Kubrick. Films like The Shining and 2001 are simply too complex otherwise, IMO. Way more so than any other director in history. His entire style is decontextualizing, which takes a ton of patience because it's not always easy to figure out.

P.S. That's excepting A Clockwork Orange. Because I think every movie buff at some point in high school or college goes through a big Clockwork Orange phase.

P.S. That's excepting A Clockwork Orange. Because I think every movie buff at some point in high school or college goes through a big Clockwork Orange phase.

I saw the original edit when I was 8 years old on HBO when my parents were out and my 11 year old sister was babysitting. (hey this was 1975).

years later I had a car wreck on a secluded road and this was before cell phones.  I had to go to someones front door and ring the bell.  someone answered but didn't open the door.  I said I had been in a car wreck and needed to call my dad.   a weird memory flared up on the spot but I couldn't put my finger on it.  they handed me a portable and closed the door.  after the police showed up they let me in to use the kitchen phone

saw the movie a 2nd time and its a miracle they even opened the door to give me the portable.  I was 17 years old and 6'6", lol

after the 2nd viewing I had a phase where I researched the movie and book, and to this day I really can't handle the violence, it's really difficult to watch because its so well done.

I mean singing in the rain ?  who does that ?

Edited by Larz

I saw the original edit when I was 8 years old on HBO when my parents were out and my 11 year old sister was babysitting. (hey this was 1975).

years later I had a car wreck on a secluded road and this was before cell phones.  I had to go to someones front door and ring the bell.  someone answered but didn't open the door.  I said I had been in a car wreck and needed to call my dad.   a weird memory flared up on the spot but I couldn't put my finger on it.  they handed me a portable and closed the door.  after the police showed up they let me in to use the kitchen phone

saw the movie a 2nd time and its a miracle they even opened the door to give me the portable.  I was 17 years old and 6'6", lol

after the 2nd viewing I had a phase where I researched the movie and book, and to this day I really can't handle the violence, it's really difficult to watch because its so well done.

I mean singing in the rain ?  who does that ?

It's funny, I'm kind of the same way. I used to be able to handle the rape scene fine, now I have to look away at that part. Which is kind of a good thing considering that was Kubrick's intention.

It's funny, I'm kind of the same way. I used to be able to handle the rape scene fine, now I have to look away at that part. Which is kind of a good thing considering that was Kubrick's intention.

The rape scene is tough, but I have a bunch of trouble watching McDowell with his eyelids forced open.  I have kind of an eyeball thing.  A friend from college used to rant about how that woman had perfect breasts.  I mean to the point of someone saying hey that Heather Locklear is hot and he'd say "Yeah.  Heather Locklear is hot, but that girl in Clockwork Orange has perfect breasts."