Movies We've Seen Thread

So in anticipation of part deux I rewatched both Spider-Man I's. I completely disagree with everyone who complained that the franchise didn't need to be rebooted. The original trilogy is not holding up well at all. Maguire is sh*t, Dafoe's Goblin costume is comical beyond belief, and Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane is annoying as all hell. In hindsight, Raimi's movies are simply corny. Not to mention the missed opportunities for a Sinister Six storyline and the abortion that was his portrayal of Eddie Brock and Venom. Webb's interpretation is by no means without its problems, but it definitely needed to be done.

30 Days of Night is quietly a solid horror. Foster, Boone Junior, and Huston are really good in it, the setting and atmosphere are nice and creepy, and the beginning has a really nice late 70's/80's Euro horror vibe. Hartnett's not even bad so much as forced to say the most lines. I like the design of the vampires, they are scary. Good vampire warmup for when FX puts out The Strain, which should be good for at least a couple of episodes.

Trailers for the new X- Men movie are starting to pop up on TV. Looks pretty decent, cautiously optimistic.

My comic book reading revolved around the X-Men, my aunt gave me a stack of comics during her garage sale in the very early 80's. The books went back as far as the mid-70's. The ones that fascinated me most were the X-Men books.

Thus far, I've ranged between "completely disgusted" and "laughably marketable" in how I've felt about the X-Men movies. Until I saw First Class. That was when I finally felt they were doing something right. I am extremely hopeful that they continue in that vein with Days of Future Past.

If you are into the X universe and a fanboy, or just appreciate creativity and taking the story further for the sake of delivery a higher-level of entertainment than just a summer blockbuster... then check out some of this supplemental content and the experiences they've created for fans to immerse themselves in.

http://www.trask-industries.com/#/home

http://www.thebentbullet.com/#!/home

I will need corroborating evidence.  Your taste in music does not inspire confidence.

Led Zeppelin

AC/DC

Skynyrd

Beatles

Foo Fighters

Beastie Boys

Megadeth

Live

Audioslave

Black Sabbath

Johnny Cash

Soundgarden

Eagles

Stones

Metallica (except the Load/Reload years)

Avenged Sevenfold

Disturbed

Iron Maiden

Sevendust

Rage

CCR

The Outlaws

Stone Temple Pilots

Queen

Cage the Elephant

The Shins

Pixies

Black Keys

Oasis

George Thorogood

Alabama Shakes

Arctic Monkeys

The Doors

Mumford

AWOLnation

Beach Boys

Sublime

Muse

Alice in Chains

Allman Brothers

Queens of the Stone Age

Chevelle

Joe Walsh

Shinedown

Rise Against

Bad Religion

Tool

Eric Church

Travis Tritt

Josh Turner

Zac Brown

Aloe Blacc

2Pac

Switchfoot

That's the master list of my Pandora music stations, which I play on Shuffle (alongside some standup comedian stations like Louis CK, Jim Gaffigan and Brian Regan).

Does this restore any of your confidence in me?

Edited by Jetsfan80
  • Upvote 1

Led Zeppelin

AC/DC

Skynyrd

Beatles

Foo Fighters

Beastie Boys

Megadeth

Live

Audioslave

Black Sabbath

Johnny Cash

Soundgarden

Eagles

Stones

Metallica (except the Load/Reload years)

Avenged Sevenfold

Disturbed

Iron Maiden

Sevendust

Rage

CCR

The Outlaws

Stone Temple Pilots

Queen

Cage the Elephant

The Shins

Pixies

Black Keys

Oasis

George Thorogood

Alabama Shakes

Arctic Monkeys

The Doors

Mumford

AWOLnation

Beach Boys

Sublime

Muse

Alice in Chains

Allman Brothers

Queens of the Stone Age

Chevelle

Joe Walsh

Shinedown

Rise Against

Bad Religion

Tool

Eric Church

Travis Tritt

Josh Turner

Zac Brown

Aloe Blacc

2Pac

Switchfoot

That's the master list of my Pandora music stations, which I play on Shuffle (alongside some standup comedian stations like Louis CK, Jim Gaffigan and Brian Regan).

Does this restore any of your confidence in me?

A little, but I'm still not sure I want to risk two hours of my life on it!

A little, but I'm still not sure I want to risk two hours of my life on it!

Has Kevin Costner ever let you down?  No, it's not Field of Dreams or Bull Durham.  But its not "For Love of the Game" either.  It's solid.

Plus its got the kid from 42.  He's turning into a hell of an actor.  Oh, and also Jennifer Garner, if that's your type.  <3 her.

Edited by Jetsfan80

Has Kevin Costner ever let you down?  No, it's not Field of Dreams or Bull Durham.  But its not "For Love of the Game" either.  It's solid.

Plus its got the kid from 42.  He's turning into a hell of an actor.  Oh, and also Jennifer Garner, if that's your type.  <3 her.

Has Kevin Costner ever let me down? Fairly consistently since 1990.

30 Days of Night is quietly a solid horror. Foster, Boone Junior, and Huston are really good in it, the setting and atmosphere are nice and creepy, and the beginning has a really nice late 70's/80's Euro horror vibe. Hartnett's not even bad so much as forced to say the most lines. I like the design of the vampires, they are scary. Good vampire warmup for when FX puts out The Strain, which should be good for at least a couple of episodes.

One of my faves. Just a well done flick.

So in anticipation of part deux I rewatched both Spider-Man I's. I completely disagree with everyone who complained that the franchise didn't need to be rebooted. The original trilogy is not holding up well at all. Maguire is sh*t, Dafoe's Goblin costume is comical beyond belief, and Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane is annoying as all hell. In hindsight, Raimi's movies are simply corny. Not to mention the missed opportunities for a Sinister Six storyline and the abortion that was his portrayal of Eddie Brock and Venom. Webb's interpretation is by no means without its problems, but it definitely needed to be done.

So yeah, an addendum to this: Now they need to right the ship again, because for some reason Webb decided to follow up a very good reboot with a flick that's as corny of any of Raimi's worst moments. Electro is the most punerfically bad villain since Arnold's Mr. Freeze.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

One of the best Vampire Flicks in the last 25 years.

I'll probably catch heat for this... but I watched Gravity this weekend... meh.

It was like 90 minutes of people floating around bumping into things and Sandra Bullock's signature nasally "AGGGH" exclamation. The end was a fun watch, but I just found myself thinking... "so, this is Open Water, but in space, and with Hollywood on their knees because of who is in it".

Perhaps I'll watch again sometime and find it more compelling, but it did nothing for me the other night.

I am shocked that I have made it almost the full week without watching this.  Being in the middle of Breaking Bad for the first time has saved me.

There's some pretty hardcore sex in it as well. Enjoy.

I'll probably catch heat for this... but I watched Gravity this weekend... meh.

It was like 90 minutes of people floating around bumping into things and Sandra Bullock's signature nasally "AGGGH" exclamation. The end was a fun watch, but I just found myself thinking... "so, this is Open Water, but in space, and with Hollywood on their knees because of who is in it".

Perhaps I'll watch again sometime and find it more compelling, but it did nothing for me the other night.

NASA astronauts were saying that, after this film, they finally had the means to explain to people what it's like in space.  Other than some nitpicky stuff, it was perfection from that standpoint.

For that alone, to me, it deserves a solid grade, whatever you think of Sandra Bullock's acting.

NASA astronauts were saying that, after this film, they finally had the means to explain to people what it's like in space.  Other than some nitpicky stuff, it was perfection from that standpoint.

For that alone, to me, it deserves a solid grade, whatever you think of Sandra Bullock's acting.

Float. Bump into something. Say "AGHH". Repeat.

I think the thing that put me off early was actually Clooney... you'd think for the hype he gets when he graces us all with his presence in a film, he'd have done more than die like 20 minutes in. LOL

Yeah, spoiler. Sorry.

Float. Bump into something. Say "AGHH". Repeat.

I think the thing that put me off early was actually Clooney... you'd think for the hype he gets when he graces us all with his presence in a film, he'd have done more than die like 20 minutes in. LOL

Yeah, spoiler. Sorry.

No problem.  My kids went to see it in HD and I can never really imagine a time I would sit down to watch it.  I really don't.

Clooney dying was my favorite part of the film!  If only they could have killed Bullock too and then we could just watch things crash and explode for the next 90 minutes.