Movies We've Seen Thread

I'm biased because I am a shameless homer of the franchise, but Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is really fantastic. Definitely up with some of the best SciFi of the millennium, which is saying a lot because this has been a damn good era for the genre.

The reviews are stellar, which I didn't entirely expect. I want to see that and Snowpiercer this week.

The reviews are stellar, which I didn't entirely expect. I want to see that and Snowpiercer this week.

those are 2 I am seeing,,SP & PoA both have I think 95 on RotTom..(Begin Again (ruffalo/knightely), from Director of 'Once' if I see 3)

also,,,I dont usually do 3D but in Apes case it has one of highest 3D cinemablend scores ever.. filmed w/3D cameras etc

worth the read before you go

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Dawn-Planet-Apes-Ticket-43808.html

also FYI, if you stay till end of credits for Apes there is Extra Audio After the Credits.

Edited by SouthernJet

It's interesting. Rise was a good reboot that told a good story. But Dawn is a very philosophical movie that goes back to the human vs ape themes of the original.

ya like Tom said, this Ape is getting Kudos for being true science fiction (which Snowpiercer is also)

Unfortunately no. Had no idea about that.

On a related note I can't stop walking around the house yelling "APES FOLLOW KOBA NOW!" The wife and dog are starting to get frightened.

I use this site to tell me IF a stinger (extra scene) is in credits or after credits, then I stay. I dont open up link to see what is, so its not ruined for me. But in your case since u saw flick , open up and see what u missed. Just dont post lol

http://www.mediastinger.com/in-theaters/

I use this site to tell me IF a stinger (extra scene) is in credits or after credits, then I stay. I dont open up link to see what is, so its not ruined for me. But in your case since u saw flick , open up and see what u missed. Just dont post lol

http://www.mediastinger.com/in-theaters/

Doesn't look like I missed much. I don't think there is anything to spoil for this franchise anyways. The real brilliance of Dawn is that you know where everything is headed from the first 5 minutes of the movie, but it doesn't matter because the whole thing is so damn good. There are even a few parts that are a little B-movieish, but they just work and don't seem campy at all.

Doesn't look like I missed much. I don't think there is anything to spoil for this franchise anyways. The real brilliance of Dawn is that you know where everything is headed from the first 5 minutes of the movie, but it doesn't matter because the whole thing is so damn good. There are even a few parts that are a little B-movieish, but they just work and don't seem campy at all.

ya I saw last nite, great flick, dumb stinger after credits

Being a big Four Seasons fan I was really looking forward to seeing Jersey Boys. I wanted to see it on stage but never got the chance to, so I figured a movie directed by Clint Eastwood HAD to be good. It wasn't, it almost put me to sleep. I tried to figure out what it was about the movie that just didn't cut the mustard and I think it was the casting of the band and almost all of the peripheral characters. Nobody except for the kid who played Tommy DeVito were "jersey" enough, and they definitely weren't Italian enough. Especially the Valli and Gaudio actors-not even close. Terrible film.

Being a big Four Seasons fan I was really looking forward to seeing Jersey Boys. I wanted to see it on stage but never got the chance to, so I figured a movie directed by Clint Eastwood HAD to be good. It wasn't, it almost put me to sleep. I tried to figure out what it was about the movie that just didn't cut the mustard and I think it was the casting of the band and almost all of the peripheral characters. Nobody except for the kid who played Tommy DeVito were "jersey" enough, and they definitely weren't Italian enough. Especially the Valli and Gaudio actors-not even close. Terrible film.

well the guy who played Frankie and Gaudio were part of the Broadway cast so you might not have liked the play. Massi was in National Tour  and ONLY guy who never played on Broadway Jersey Boys or in a National tour wasguy u liked  DeVito :)

The guy who played Valli got a Tony for best actor. He was original Valli on Broadway. Obvious less acting on stage show, which I saw. More dialouge and non singing was added to film. You might like the more music, less talk play. 

Edited by SouthernJet

well the guy who played Frankie and Gaudio were part of the Broadway cast so you might not have liked the play. Massi was in National Tour  and ONLY guy who never played on Broadway Jersey Boys or in a National tour wasguy u liked  DeVito :)

The guy who played Valli got a Tony for best actor. He was original Valli on Broadway. Obvious less acting on stage show, which I saw. More dialouge and non singing was added to film. You might like the more music, less talk play. 

I'll bet you're right

Unfortunately no. Had no idea about that.

On a related note I can't stop walking around the house yelling "APES FOLLOW KOBA NOW!" The wife and dog are starting to get frightened.

Wow was that smoking!  Very different than what I expected. Basically a testament on man's fear for survival and his unwillingness to be respectful to other species.  'Ceaser weak.'  'Koba weaker' 

Snowpiercer............. Wow, just Wow

I gave it a second watch because it's up on iTunes now. It only gets better with age. I think it's instantly a cult classic. I think a prequel would be awesome, because the one thing I'm curious about is where all the guards and hatchet men came from. If the train is 17 years old then figure most of those guys were really young, or teenagers at best when they boarded. Who were they originally?

I gave it a second watch because it's up on iTunes now. It only gets better with age. I think it's instantly a cult classic. I think a prequel would be awesome, because the one thing I'm curious about is where all the guards and hatchet men came from. If the train is 17 years old then figure most of those guys were really young, or teenagers at best when they boarded. Who were they originally?

no prequel,, there will be a Part 2 cause it was a 2 part novel..

there is another train in Part2..

"Set some unspecified number of years after Part1: The Escape, Part2: The Explorers, detail the events of another train. The Icebreaker (aka Snowpiercer 2, they're used interchangeably, which is odd) runs along the same track as the original train, and the people on board live in fear of a collision that their leaders tell them is always a possibility. Unlike the Snowpiercer, which ran and ran and ran, the Icebreaker stops every so often and lets out Explorers to survey the landscape. One particular Explorer, Puig, serves as this story's protagonist."

51f0f0W47KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51bf2hkCHYL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by SouthernJet

And how did the boarding take place?

I had an inkling of what was going on, then the sushi scene confirmed it for me.

What a fun watch, though.

And how did the boarding take place?

I had an inkling of what was going on, then the sushi scene confirmed it for me.

What a fun watch, though.

no prequel,, there will be a Part 2 cause it was a 2 part novel..

there is another train in Part2..

"Set some unspecified number of years after Part1: The Escape, Part2: The Explorers, detail the events of another train. The Icebreaker (aka Snowpiercer 2, they're used interchangeably, which is odd) runs along the same track as the original train, and the people on board live in fear of a collision that their leaders tell them is always a possibility. Unlike the Snowpiercer, which ran and ran and ran, the Icebreaker stops every so often and lets out Explorers to survey the landscape. One particular Explorer, Puig, serves as this story's protagonist."

51f0f0W47KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51bf2hkCHYL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My only concern is that Bong Joon-ho doesn't like to repeat a lot of stuff. He's a lot like Tarantino in that he just explores a genre and then moves on. For what it's worth he's become one of the best directors in the world by now. The Host and Mother already put him up there, but I think now everyone realizes how great he is. A sequel or prequel would be awesome. What a great conceptual world to continue exploring.

I watched Planet of the Apes at the theater last night.

The picture's aspect ratio was 4:3...literally a square like an old tv. Not 16:9 or wider like you'd typically see.  Is my theater out of whack or did they really really film it in 4:3?

I watched Planet of the Apes at the theater last night.

The picture's aspect ratio was 4:3...literally a square like an old tv. Not 16:9 or wider like you'd typically see. Is my theater out of whack or did they really really film it in 4:3?

No I had the same thing. Definitely annoying. And so much of the film takes place in daylight that it's something you can't stop noticing.

• 2 weeks later...

saw A Most Wanted Man and Lucy this weekend,,both must-see's IMHO

You liked Lucy?  My girl watched it Friday to get out of the heat while she waited for me to leave work.  She said "No joke, that is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I would rather be watching the Family."   To those not in the know, the Family is that God awful "comedy" with Deniro and Michelle Pfieffer.  We watched that one some other time when we wanted to see something at the dine-in theater and didn't feel like waiting to long.  It's akin to saying she'd prefer root canal.  She said that Johannson didn't even look that hot and spent the whole time making a face like she was trying to figure out a Chinese food menu.  

You liked Lucy?  My girl watched it Friday to get out of the heat while she waited for me to leave work.  She said "No joke, that is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I would rather be watching the Family."   To those not in the know, the Family is that God awful "comedy" with Deniro and Michelle Pfieffer.  We watched that one some other time when we wanted to see something at the dine-in theater and didn't feel like waiting to long.  It's akin to saying she'd prefer root canal.  She said that Johannson didn't even look that hot and spent the whole time making a face like she was trying to figure out a Chinese food menu.  

It was excellent, but wasnt a car chase popcorn mindless flick, it was pure scifi w/allegorical content. Plus it has been getting decent reviews nationally with 38/40 National guys saying avg to good..

But you have to pay attention, its mostly all plot/words and 'meaning of life' stuff for most part.

Most Sci-Fi fans will like,,maybe not others :)

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/lucy

Edited by SouthernJet

Did she like Snowpiercer?

It was excellent, but wasnt a car chase popcorn mindless flick, it was pure scifi w/allegorical content. Plus it has been getting decent reviews nationally with 38/40 National guys saying avg to good..

But you have to pay attention, its mostly all plot/words and 'meaning of life' stuff for most part.

Most Sci-Fi fans will like,,maybe not others :)

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/lucy

FWIW, she does like explosions and car chases.