Movies We've Seen Thread

Kudos for the Gymkata reference.  I must have seen that 10 times as a kid but if I say the name of that movie to just about anyone I get a blank stare in return.  Rightfully so I might add.

I love it when you pretend that you talk to people in real life.

The problem with Godzilla is that they horribly misuse Bryan Cranston.

I love it when you pretend that you talk to people in real life.

The problem with Godzilla is that they horribly misuse Bryan Cranston.

Agreed on Cranston but I wasn't exactly expecting a great movie.  It was passable and definitely enough to keep me interested for a sequel. 

And I talk to all kinds of people all day long.  And even have to sound smart and stuff at times.  It's quite a burden.

They did it because it looks awesome on an IMAX screen and/or in 3D. First couple weeks of sales are really all that matter these days, they don't care nearly as much if it looks good on a TV or not. (see: Dredd)

For what it's worth, the last 30 of Godzilla in IMAX really was awesome. Problem is you're so bitter because of how long it takes to get there that it kinda kills it.

makes sense.  I had to put my glasses on to watch it on tv, lol.   

being used to solid 20 minute showdowns in the old movies, the showdown in this one was just way too short.  you need the good old fashioned back and forth back and forth.....almost dead.......not dead  !!! routine. 

they got the franchise reboot out of the way.  now they need to do a 2nd movie and introduce a new monster.  3rd movie, new monster

4th movie everybody in the pool it's monster island time !!!!

makes sense.  I had to put my glasses on to watch it on tv, lol.   

being used to solid 20 minute showdowns in the old movies, the showdown in this one was just way too short.  you need the good old fashioned back and forth back and forth.....almost dead.......not dead  !!! routine. 

they got the franchise reboot out of the way.  now they need to do a 2nd movie and introduce a new monster.  3rd movie, new monster

4th movie everybody in the pool it's monster island time !!!!

Everything is about setting things up for a franchise now. They're even making a King Kong spinoff on the origins of Skull Island. Legendary has the rights to both characters, so I'd say it's a lock that they are setting things up for a King Kong v Godzilla movie down the road.

Everything is about setting things up for a franchise now. They're even making a King Kong spinoff on the origins of Skull Island. Legendary has the rights to both characters, so I'd say it's a lock that they are setting things up for a King Kong v Godzilla movie down the road.

don't mess with me

that movie is the most iconic movie memory from my childhood.  we were joking about it just last week, how a 50 foot tall gorilla battles a 300 foot tall godzilla, lol

They did it because it looks awesome on an IMAX screen and/or in 3D. First couple weeks of sales are really all that matter these days, they don't care nearly as much if it looks good on a TV or not. (see: Dredd)

For what it's worth, the last 30 of Godzilla in IMAX really was awesome. Problem is you're so bitter because of how long it takes to get there that it kinda kills it.

it was a horrible movie.

I am going to chromecast this tonight.  I doubt the Vikings-Packers will hold my interest for long.

http://youtu.be/3eRE2A1V18k

"30 for 30-Playing for the Mob". Jumps off from "Goodefellas" complete with Ray Liotta narrating and intercut with movie scenes. Basically one savvy street kid coaxes 2 others to fix Boston College basketball games. Only comes to light because when Henry Hill is debriefed the US Attorney happens to be a BC alumn and former freshman basketball player who at first doesn't beleive him and thinks the FBI agents on the case fed Hill the info toi break the attorney's chops. Quick watch on DVR.

"30 for 30-Playing for the Mob". Jumps off from "Goodefellas" complete with Ray Liotta narrating and intercut with movie scenes. Basically one savvy street kid coaxes 2 others to fix Boston College basketball games. Only comes to light because when Henry Hill is debriefed the US Attorney happens to be a BC alumn and former freshman basketball player who at first doesn't beleive him and thinks the FBI agents on the case fed Hill the info toi break the attorney's chops. Quick watch on DVR.

yea been waiting to see this - the original SI article back in the early 80s was fascinating!

Watched most of it last night great watch.

I thought it great as well.

Did they change the name of it between theaters and home video?

I think so. I read an article somewhere that they were trying to rebrand it because of the average box office numbers it did. It's a shame that Cruise doesn't do the numbers he used to anymore if it's not a Mission Impossible movie, he's been on a string of good performances with his past three flicks.

I think so. I read an article somewhere that they were trying to rebrand it because of the average box office numbers it did. It's a shame that Cruise doesn't do the numbers he used to anymore if it's not a Mission Impossible movie, he's been on a string of good performances with his past three flicks.

Jack Reacher?  Rock of Ages?  I didn't see Rock of Ages, but Jack Reacher?  

I didn't see Rock of Ages either, I hate musicals. I thought Jack Reacher was solid. Not great, but I thought it had all the elements of a worthy action flick. And even if someone disliked it, it's hard to take away the notion that Cruise did a good job. Also thought he was brilliant in Tropic Thunder. IMO he's always been an underrated actor. If he was good enough for Kubrick that's enough for me.

I didn't see Rock of Ages either, I hate musicals. I thought Jack Reacher was solid. Not great, but I thought it had all the elements of a worthy action flick. And even if someone disliked it, it's hard to take away the notion that Cruise did a good job. Also thought he was brilliant in Tropic Thunder. IMO he's always been an underrated actor. If he was good enough for Kubrick that's enough for me.

Put me amongst those that disliked it.  I thought it was pretty bad and he didn't impress me at all.  Cruise is usually solid, so I have no problem praising  him, but I did not like him in that.  Maybe I just have trouble viewing him as a 5'3" killing machine.  

Rock of Ages was worse than horrible but I'm sure there are some out there who enjoyed seeing Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand make out. 

BTW, has anyone actually ever enjoyed a Russell Brand performance? Guy plays the same exact role / personality (his own??)  every time.

Rosamund Pike deserves an Oscar nom for Gone Girl. Definitely Fincher's best work since Zodiac.

I thought it was awful, way too far fetched and drawn out.

Agreed on Pike's acting though, and the scene

*************SPOILER*********************

where she slits Neil Patricks Harris' throat is epic.

I agree.

Unfortunately, in our tabloid-fixated society you can be all sorts of a scumbag and be popular, but you can't be a closeted homosexual with a funny religion.

Just watched Blade for the first time in years. It is remarkable not only how well it holds up, but also the amount of influence you can see on everything that's been made since. This is the original dark uber-violent comic book movie.

I've always considered M. Night's Unbreakable to be the dark, real-feeling, comic book movie that set the stage for some of the good stuff we're seeing now. That said, as far as dark and uber-violent goes, Blade was definitely the disruptive movie amongst a lot of cheesiness. The Crow had the dark thing down, but it wasn't violent, it wasn't really anything, imo. It was just a vehicle for a soundtrack that was cashing in on white, angst-filled teens.

Ah big deal.  That closeted homosexual funny religion mafia has been running Hollywood for a long time.  They should have to take the good with the bad.

I thought the Jews ran Hollywood?

Anyway, the remark was more a commentary on the illogical patterns of idolization and villainization in our popular culture. It wasn't so much about sympathy for Cruise.

I've always considered M. Night's Unbreakable to be the dark, real-feeling, comic book movie that set the stage for some of the good stuff we're seeing now. That said, as far as dark and uber-violent goes, Blade was definitely the disruptive movie amongst a lot of cheesiness. The Crow had the dark thing down, but it wasn't violent, it wasn't really anything, imo. It was just a vehicle for a soundtrack that was cashing in on white, angst-filled teens.

I was always disappointed that he never did a sequel for Unbreakable like he said he would, that was a great concept and world he set the stage for, and it's probably too late now. Maybe his career goes a different way if he would have done it.

Disagree about The Crow, they did a really great job of bringing O'Barr's book to life and that flick will always be a classic to me. The only other movie where a cityscape has been projected in that sort of framework is Blade Runner, but The Crow kept it a lot closer to the street. Plenty of violence as well, the way he tortures each dude is still graphic by today's standards.