Movies We've Seen Thread

I was always disappointed that he never did a sequel for Unbreakable like he said he would, that was a great concept and world he set the stage for, and it's probably too late now. Maybe his career goes a different way if he would have done it.

Disagree about The Crow, they did a really great job of bringing O'Barr's book to life and that flick will always be a classic to me. The only other movie where a cityscape has been projected in that sort of framework is Blade Runner, but The Crow kept it a lot closer to the street. Plenty of violence as well, the way he tortures each dude is still graphic by today's standards.

Apparently I don't remember the Crow as well as I thought. Maybe I'll re-watch it one of these days... I only saw it once, way back when it first came out. 

Yeah you may want to give it another go. It's rated R for a reason, notably the POV rape scene and all the stabbings. Definitely not lacking violence.

LOL, I don't remember any of this... Perhaps then it deserves as much credit as Blade for at least setting the stage for the dark, uber violent stuff?

Probably. I always looked at The Crow as more of a horror flick, but I guess it depends if how you define a superhero movie.

Blade was a vampire killing vampires. LOL, but Crow was horror? 

I get what you're saying, but to me both are based on comic books, and that's pretty much that.

Blade was a vampire killing vampires. LOL, but Crow was horror? 

I get what you're saying, but to me both are based on comic books, and that's pretty much that.

A comic book doesn't necessarily delegate a superhero. Blade has been a Marvel superhero for quite some time, teamed up with Spider-Man...etc. The Crow has always been a little different, more of a Walking Dead-type book. Sure there are elements of the supernatural in there, but like I said, it depends how you define it.

A comic book doesn't necessarily delegate a superhero. Blade has been a Marvel superhero for quite some time, teamed up with Spider-Man...etc. The Crow has always been a little different, more of a Walking Dead-type book. Sure there are elements of the supernatural in there, but like I said, it depends how you define it.

Yup, I'm with you.

Just watched Blade for the first time in years. It is remarkable not only how well it holds up, but also the amount of influence you can see on everything that's been made since. This is the original dark uber-violent comic book movie.

The club scene to open the movie...I wonder what that guy told the cops.

Huge recommendation for I'll Be Me. It's a documentary on Glen Campbell's retirement tour that he went on while battling Alzheimer's. If you don't choke up at least once you may very well be a robot.

thanks, I plan to see,, Wife/I were caregivers for my Mom the last 6 years of her life while she suffered from this horrific affliction.

thanks, I plan to see,, Wife/I were caregivers for my Mom the last 6 years of her life while she suffered from this horrific affliction.

My grandfather passed this year after battling dementia for years. Watching someone just slip into another world like that is so painful and confusing at the same time, and Campbell and his wife handle it pretty amazingly.

• Upvote 1

If you can set aside some of the historical inaccuracies, Fury is a good watch,  although I felt that it could have been a lot more than it ended up. Pitt was phenomenal, as per usual, but the rest of the cast is what surprised me. I usually detest Shia, but thought he put forth a pretty solid performance, as did the entire cast... wonder how T0m feels aboout Shia. I love me some WW II movies, especially a good tank movie, so maybe I'm biased, but I really enjoyed this movie.

How stoked are you for Interstellar? I've been half chub all week.

I bought my ticket a month ago when I found out it was opening 2 days early in IMAX. I can safely say I don't think I have ever been so excited for any non-franchise movie ever.

Was discussing this with a buddy the other day: If Interstellar lives up to the expectations, is Nolan in Spielberg territory? I say yes.

I bought my ticket a month ago when I found out it was opening 2 days early in IMAX. I can safely say I don't think I have ever been so excited for any non-franchise movie ever.

Was discussing this with a buddy the other day: If Interstellar lives up to the expectations, is Nolan in Spielberg territory? I say yes.

I would have done the same, if I knew my schedule that much in advance.  And Yes, or at the very least knocking on the door. No one has been able to touch Nolan's originality as of late, especially on such a grand scale. Plus, after watching True Detective, I don't think I've been this excited for a movie in forever.  Cannot wait.

I would have done the same, if I knew my schedule that much in advance. And Yes, or at the very least knocking on the door. No one has been able to touch Nolan's originality as of late, especially on such a grand scale. Plus, after watching True Detective, I don't think I've been this excited for a movie in forever. Cannot wait.

I'm interested to see where he goes next. Interstellar is the third movie of the other trilogy that he negotiated when he agreed to do the second and third Batman films. He's still heavily involved as a producer on all the DC flicks, I wonder if he'll do something more scaled back eventually. Insomnia and Memento were a damn long time ago.

A lot of people really aren't going to like the story, and there are a few very unintentional funny points, but you're still cheating yourself if you don't see Interstellar in IMAX. It's probably the greatest thing ever filmed for the format. 70 mm film is no joke.

I also disagree with the 2001 comparisons. 2001 makes no effort to give you context, which has always been part of the appeal. Interstellar almost tries to hard to give you too much context. And it makes the dialogue exhaustive because they spend so much time explaining the concepts at work.

Saw Interstellar. It was massive, pretty, interesting, ambitious, and I'm glad these movies are getting made and I'm glad people are going to see them. That said, the story was a bit too ambitious and, as a result, Nolan asks the viewer to just accept certain things without exception and, if you don't, it's hard to accept the rest of the narrative. My advice to anyone going in to see it is to avoid thinking too much about it, just kinda watch it, and embrace it as an artful curiosity. I also didn't like the repeated forays into forced sentimentality. Also, while the wise-cracking robots were a nice little homage to Star Wars, none of it was funny.

Spoiler-ish: If I'm in another galaxy and Anne Hathaway started giving me that love-is-a-thing speech as a reason to do anything, I swear to God I'd punch her in the ******* eye. 

Edited by T0mShane

Saw The Raid 2. Can't say I enjoyed it more than the first one. That said, the protagonist vs. top assassin fights in either one are great. As a yellow belt in the art of ka-rah-tay I thought I knew it all, but these guys are on some next level stuff.

The last twenty minutes is martial arts gold, but the rest of it lacked the kinetic awesomeness of the first one. 

Saw Interstellar. It was massive, pretty, interesting, ambitious, and I'm glad these movies are getting made and I'm glad people are going to see them. That said, the story was a bit too ambitious and, as a result, Nolan asks the viewer to just accept certain things without exception and, if you don't, it's hard to accept the rest of the narrative. My advice to anyone going in to see it is to avoid thinking too much about it, just kinda watch it, and embrace it as an artful curiosity. I also didn't like the repeated forays into forced sentimentality. Also, while the wise-cracking robots were a nice little homage to Star Wars, none of it was funny.

Spoiler-ish: If I'm in another galaxy and Anne Hathaway started giving me that love-is-a-thing speech as a reason to do anything, I swear to God I'd punch her in the ******* eye.

Did you see it in IMAX?

I did. It was glorious-looking. I could have done with less Jessica Chastain crying about her daddy issues 40 years after the fact while the world is dying, though.

Yeah. Like Gravity, I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it on a TV, but for now, just wow. You have to see these films in IMAX. You just have to. They are made specifically for this format.

I realized my expectations were going to be met as soon as he started that scene through the corn field. It was one of those "whoa, this is going to be fun" moments. I can't wait to go see it again.

Yeah. Like Gravity, I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it on a TV, but for now, just wow. You have to see these films in IMAX. You just have to. They are made specifically for this format.

I realized my expectations were going to be met as soon as he started that scene through the corn field. It was one of those "whoa, this is going to be fun" moments. I can't wait to go see it again.

I'm kinda the opposite with IMAX. Because I have such atrocious ADD, the constant stimuli of IMAX (screen size, sound) is really distracting. I like seeing things like Gravity and Interstellar in it, but I have to watch it again on a TV to pick up on nuances and whatnot.

I'm kinda the opposite with IMAX. Because I have such atrocious ADD, the constant stimuli of IMAX (screen size, sound) is really distracting. I like seeing things like Gravity and Interstellar in it, but I have to watch it again on a TV to pick up on nuances and whatnot.

Weed helps. I probably would have had a heart attack during Cooper's last descent without it.

• Upvote 1

Tarantino on making The Hateful Eight in 70mm. I think it holds every bit as true for Interstellar:

"“If we do our jobs right by making this film a 70mm event, we will remind people why this is something you can’t see on television, and how this is an experience you can’t have when you watch movies in your apartment, your man cave, or your iPhone or iPad,” Tarantino said.

He added, “I’m hoping it’s going to stop the momentum of the digital stuff, and that people will hopefully go, ‘Man, that is going to the movies, and that is worth saving, and we need to see more of that.”