Movies We've Seen Thread

I watched Killing the Softly not long ago. Had no expectations, it was mostly dog crap. I expected more from Pitt and Gandolfini and some of the other recognizable people in it. It just didn't deliver.

Yeah it was horrible.  Very depressing movie especially seeing Johnny Sack and some other old actors from Sopranos have aged so badly.

Interstellar had 0 Oscar nominations other than Best Score.  Why does anyone watch the Academy Awards anymore?

5 actually. Score, production design, 2 for sound, and 1 for visual effects. Shouldn't have been expecting it to begin with, there's a big SciFi bias with them.

Say what you will about George Lucas, but he had these ****ers pegged a long time ago. When they asked him about the snubs for Selma, he called it typical and exactly why he refuses to be a member. Dude still has balls.

5 actually. Score, production design, 2 for sound, and 1 for visual effects. Shouldn't have been expecting it to begin with, there's a big SciFi bias with them.

Say what you will about George Lucas, but he had these ****ers pegged a long time ago. When they asked him about the snubs for Selma, he called it typical and exactly why he refuses to be a member. Dude still has balls.

Academy voters are a bunch of old fogeys and the show has been unwatchable since Billy Crystal stopped hosting.

I go to the movies all the time, so here are some quick comments on movies out now:

Whiplash - best movie I've seen in the past couple of years. Extremely intense. JK Simmons will be an Oscar winner.

Blackhat - Huge Michael Mann film, but this wasn't very good. Worst directing he has done in years. The script was bad.

Selma - better than I expected. Not sure how accurate it was, but i enjoyed it.

The Hobbit - um, more of the same I guess

Unbroken -  Not bad, but intentionally pulls heart strings

The Imitation Game - pretty good, but not great

The Hunger Games - utter crap

Inherent Vice - What ever happened to PTA? Some funny parts, but mostly a mess

Wild - Not great, but good enough and thought provoking

The Gambler -  Expected worse, but entertaining enough for a couple of hours

Interstellar - I enjoyed it, but not among the best movies

The Theory of Everything -  This was pretty enjoyable, but I didn't like it as much other people.Good acting

Birdman - Really good with some incredible acting and some wtf moments.

Foxcatcher - Carell was pretty creepy as DuPont. Good movie, but not great.

The Interview - what could anyone really expect?

Gone girl - Another creepy bitch. It was good, but far from great.

Nightcrawler - creepy and entertaining. Seems to be this year's theme in movies

St Vincent - I love Bill Murray. M. McCarthy wasn't her usual fat obnoxious self. Good, but far from great.

The Equalizer - Better than expected. Denzel delivers. Solid movie

Guardians of the Galaxy - loved it. Lots of fun

John Wick - also better than expected even with KR's wooden acting

• Upvote 1

The whole thing is so uninspired. Eastwood used to challenge a lot of conventions with his filmmaking, now he's just been going through the motions lately.

He tried his best.  It was a good movie and a nice tribute to a hero.  Does it deserve a nomination for Best Picture?  No although Cooper deserves a nomination for Best Actor.

Watching one of the Star Wars prequel abominations with Hayden Christensen. I'm assuming all of these have been disavowed by society at large?

the on-screen chemistry between anakin and amidala is legendary.  well, not for good reasons but that's something

Watching one of the Star Wars prequel abominations with Hayden Christensen. I'm assuming all of these have been disavowed by society at large?

I and II yes. Episode III is still great, people still like it because it's a legit good movie on its own. I think anyone who can't give III its due is just being too hard-headed about I and II being sh*t.

I and II though, it's not just Christensen. But there is such a reliance on bad CG. If you watch I and then III, the difference is really staggering. I think if Lucas had kept the aesthetics consistent with the original trilogy the public would have been a lot more forgiving. I rewatched Phantom Menace for the hell of it a few months back and Jar Jar and all the other crap aside, it just looks terrible.

All that said, what I find most interesting is that Lucas still took that storyline and still got The Clone Wars out of it. Which is a legitimately fantastic. No clue why he couldn't have written Anakin like that for the movies.

I do not know why, but that movie with Macauley Culkin where he's the evil homicidal maniac boy is on HBOGo, and I decided to throw it on in the background of doing some work yesterday. It's soooooo much more terrible than I remember it being, and there is some latent and very creepy homoerotic sh*t going on with that director because he has Elijah Wood and Culkin in some really ******* awkward scenes.

Automata is a shameless Asimov/Blade Runner knockoff. Have to admit, everything is so blatant that it makes you almost makes you respect the effort if not for the movie fizzling out like a bad fart after setting up a cool premise. It tries to be an homage movie ala Oblivion/Minority Report but just, meh, which is a shame because I generally dig anything with Robert Forster.

The good: This does not look like the heaping pile of sh*t that it was rumored to be, nor that I was expecting.

The bad: Another origin story. This is getting old, and this movie looks way too late to the party. I hope I'm wrong, because Thing is the sh*t and it would be pretty amazing if they did something original with him.

The good: This does not look like the heaping pile of sh*t that it was rumored to be, nor that I was expecting.

The bad: Another origin story. This is getting old, and this movie looks way too late to the party. I hope I'm wrong, because Thing is the sh*t and it would be pretty amazing if they did something original with him.

All super hero movies are getting old.

I and II yes. Episode III is still great, people still like it because it's a legit good movie on its own. I think anyone who can't give III its due is just being too hard-headed about I and II being sh*t.

I and II though, it's not just Christensen. But there is such a reliance on bad CG. If you watch I and then III, the difference is really staggering. I think if Lucas had kept the aesthetics consistent with the original trilogy the public would have been a lot more forgiving. I rewatched Phantom Menace for the hell of it a few months back and Jar Jar and all the other crap aside, it just looks terrible.

All that said, what I find most interesting is that Lucas still took that storyline and still got The Clone Wars out of it. Which is a legitimately fantastic. No clue why he couldn't have written Anakin like that for the movies.

Agree with pretty much everything you said though I think EP3 is a good movie, very underrated, but not great.  It definitely has its moments especially the beginning with that big battle over Coruscant and you see that shot of the sun twinkling over the planet and it looks beautiful in the beginning and then you see star destroyers and warplanes fighting eachother.

Episode II had a couple decent moments.  Most notably when Yoda fights Dooku at the end.  Phantom Menace was one of the worst movies ever made.  Lucas just ran out of ideas and didn't have the balls to make the prequel trilogy more violent and edgy with Anakin starting out as an adult Jedi pupil of Obi Wan instead of making a stupid f*cking kids movie the first movie with that ugly brat.