Movies We've Seen Thread

Avengers 2:

The Good: Marvel does a good job of advancing the overall story arc. This is a bridge movie that's meant to segue into phase 3. Cap and Hulk are put at the front here and both absolutely kill it, particularly any action scene with Cap which are all ridiculawesome. Spader is great as Ultron, and Vison rocks too. The opening scene is killer. Make sure you don't show up to the theater late because it's probably the best sequence of the movie.

The Bad: There is a bit of a been there/done that feeling with a lot of the other battle scenes, particularly the finale where a lot is just repetitive from the New York finale in Avengers 1. Aaron Taylor Johnson is just the worst actor ever, I have no idea how he keeps getting cast in big budget flicks. He's just so bad, and his eye shadow looks stupid. Singer and X-Men did Quicksilver so, so, so much better.

Overall, it's a very good comic movie, and maybe this is because it's coming on the heels of Daredevil which was so good, but it kind of feels like you're going through the motions in watching this one. I think it's good that Whedon is handing control over to the Russo Brothers, because Cap 2 is clearly the best of all the Marvel flicks and they need to move more towards that direction. The last two Iron Man flicks and Thor 2 were not so good, so it's a logical idea to focus on what has worked in the Captain America universe and go that way.

Onward to Civil War, which based on the setup they lay out in Ultron, looks like it's going to be one hell of a movie.

Avengers 2:

The Good: Marvel does a good job of advancing the overall story arc. This is a bridge movie that's meant to segue into phase 3. Cap and Hulk are put at the front here and both absolutely kill it, particularly any action scene with Cap which are all ridiculawesome. Spader is great as Ultron, and Vison rocks too. The opening scene is killer. Make sure you don't show up to the theater late because it's probably the best sequence of the movie.

The Bad: There is a bit of a been there/done that feeling with a lot of the other battle scenes, particularly the finale where a lot is just repetitive from the New York finale in Avengers 1. Aaron Taylor Johnson is just the worst actor ever, I have no idea how he keeps getting cast in big budget flicks. He's just so bad, and his eye shadow looks stupid. Singer and X-Men did Quicksilver so, so, so much better.

Overall, it's a very good comic movie, and maybe this is because it's coming on the heels of Daredevil which was so good, but it kind of feels like you're going through the motions in watching this one. I think it's good that Whedon is handing control over to the Russo Brothers, because Cap 2 is clearly the best of all the Marvel flicks and they need to move more towards that direction. The last two Iron Man flicks and Thor 2 were not so good, so it's a logical idea to focus on what has worked in the Captain America universe and go that way.

Onward to Civil War, which based on the setup they lay out in Ultron, looks like it's going to be one hell of a movie.

I own Thor 2 and to this day I haven't been able to force myself watch the whole thing. After like 20 minutes I'm done

Saw Avengers 2. As expected, it was a huge ******* mess, but that doesn't mean it's bad; just that you knew Whedon was going to go balls out every step of the way and it goes off the rails for much of the way. It has a very Return of the Jedi feel to it where every character has a self-satisfied smirk on their face the whole time, and every battle scene is just a vehicle for them to make overly cute, repetitive quips to each other. To Whedon's credit, I don't think he consciously tried to improve on the first one at all, so the intended result actually was the dopey, disposable popcorn blockbustery thing it turned out to be. The only really offensive part of it was the miserable, chemistry-free "romance" that Whedon tries to shoehorn in there, which leads to a few eyeroll/puke-inducing scenes. Also, the attempt to flesh out Renner's character was pointless and unnecessary, but Whedon seems to acknowledge that (Hawkeye's misfit status) in the dialogue. 

Again, a decent flick. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one. 

Saw Avengers 2. As expected, it was a huge ******* mess, but that doesn't mean it's bad; just that you knew Whedon was going to go balls out every step of the way and it goes off the rails for much of the way. It has a very Return of the Jedi feel to it where every character has a self-satisfied smirk on their face the whole time, and every battle scene is just a vehicle for them to make overly cute, repetitive quips to each other. To Whedon's credit, I don't think he consciously tried to improve on the first one at all, so the intended result actually was the dopey, disposable popcorn blockbustery thing it turned out to be. The only really offensive part of it was the miserable, chemistry-free "romance" that Whedon tries to shoehorn in there, which leads to a few eyeroll/puke-inducing scenes. Also, the attempt to flesh out Renner's character was pointless and unnecessary, but Whedon seems to acknowledge that (Hawkeye's misfit status) in the dialogue.

Again, a decent flick. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one.

Pretty much how I feel too. Enjoyable Marvel movie, but it's Whedon's swan song more than anything. Sets up things going forward in a fun way for sure though. I have a gut feeling that Black Panther is going to be really great.

Pretty much how I feel too. Enjoyable Marvel movie, but it's Whedon's swan song more than anything. Sets up things going forward in a fun way for sure though. I have a gut feeling that Black Panther is going to be really great.

I liked Vision a lot, in that Dr. Manhattan sort of way. I think Scarlet Witch will be a great character for the group. Glad they killed off this version of Quicksilver, which was really one of the more disappointing elements of this particular movie. Other than the one sight gag with Thor's hammer, it felt like Whedon was bored writing stuff for him to do. Do you know if they're really phasing out Renner/Hawkeye? Seemed like they were leaning that way. 

I liked Vision a lot, in that Dr. Manhattan sort of way. I think Scarlet Witch will be a great character for the group. Glad they killed off this version of Quicksilver, which was really one of the more disappointing elements of this particular movie. Other than the one sight gag with Thor's hammer, it felt like Whedon was bored writing stuff for him to do. Do you know if they're really phasing out Renner/Hawkeye? Seemed like they were leaning that way. 

Hawkeye is confirmed for Civil War, and I know Renner has been begging for more screen time, so I'm not sure why some have interpreted the ending to mean that he's retiring from the team for good. He'll definitely be back. I wish they would do a solo Hawkeye movie. It would be a nice departure from things. Always thought they could do a lower budget, more grounded political thriller with him and it would be a damn good movie.

I like the new team going forward. It's been known for a while that this is where they were heading for not only Civil War, but because they came to grips with the notion that after Infinity War they're probably losing Downey, Helmsworth, and maybe even Evans. Evans has retracted some of the stuff on retiring, and rumor is they'll go the Bucky route if he does.

And agreed on Vision. Great iteration of him, and Bettany is perfect for the role.

I'm not sure what their deal is with Thor. I think it's really as simple as the goal of this movie was to set things up for Civil War and Phase III. I expect him to have a much larger role in the Infinity Wars movies, because when it comes to the intergalactic stuff, he's always been the most equipped of the group to do the fighting.

so I took my 9 year old son and 14 year old daughter to see age of ultron today

I would love to discuss a few poinst but they are spoilers so I won't

the short review is it's not a good sign when you actually realize you are losing feeling in your butt during the movie and you start wondering how soon it will be over

I didn't love it

thankfully the adult jokes went over my sons head, but a few awkward ones to be sitting next to my teenage daughter for

I gave Noah a second chance because it's up on Netflix, it's still a convoluted mess with too much unintentional humor. I'm not sure why Aronovsky saw the need to use so much sh*t that isn't in or remotely hinted at in the old testament. Noah and the Ark is a violent and action-packed story enough on its own. It's a real shame, because the cinematography is top notch and wonderfully shot. I don't always agree with the notion of people getting up in arms over something as silly as a Hollywood movie, but I can definitely see how someone of faith could be pissed off by this one. I think if he had gone minimalist and didn't try to contextualize the story so much and shot it the exact same way, it would have seen a heap of praise.

Just watched this today. Haven't followed the reaction to the movie at all but I was amused how he basically turned the story on it's head as a vehicle to push environmentalism/vegetarianism ideas, must of pissed a good amount of the right people off.

We just finished watching a great movie directed by Angelina Jolie and written by the Coen Brothers called Unbroken-true story and a great great film

Good movie that overlooked because it came out around same time Am Sniper came out do the patriotic love didn't catch on with it. The Japanese prison guard who beat the sh*t out of him was interviewed on 60 minutes in 1997.

Just watched this today. Haven't followed the reaction to the movie at all but I was amused how he basically turned the story on it's head as a vehicle to push environmentalism/vegetarianism ideas, must of pissed a good amount of the right people off.

Politically yeah. But religious blowback, I think the crux of that came from the fact that he basically just made the story up. Which is fine, but I think people took it as though they were marketing it as literal old testament.

I'm pretty sure The Rock's Hercules movie was an attempt at a Gladiator ripoff. Not a BAD movie, Ian McShane could never be in anything bad, but I wouldn't watch it again over say...Prince of Persia...if forced to pick between the two. Prince of Persia is mad underrated THO.

Only God Forgives is on my bucket list too. Have to google search the only one...

I had to watch Only God Forgives twice just to confirm that it was sh*t.

Our comments: Me: What's with all the dark hallways?  Us:  Ewwww, his mother is a skank!  Her:  It took somebody two viewings to confirm this was sh*t?  I knew in 10 minutes? Why doesn't this guy ever change his shirt?

For the record, we did not make it more than 20 seconds after "dinner with Ma."  The part where the wannabe Steve McQueen stops brooding and starts screaming about the dress.

Our comments: Me: What's with all the dark hallways?  Us:  Ewwww, his mother is a skank!  Her:  It took somebody two viewings to confirm this was sh*t?  I knew in 10 minutes? Why doesn't this guy ever change his shirt?

For the record, we did not make it more than 20 seconds after "dinner with Ma."  The part where the wannabe Steve McQueen stops brooding and starts screaming about the dress.

Duly noted...it's off teh list. 

Hawkeye is confirmed for Civil War, and I know Renner has been begging for more screen time, so I'm not sure why some have interpreted the ending to mean that he's retiring from the team for good. He'll definitely be back. I wish they would do a solo Hawkeye movie. It would be a nice departure from things. Always thought they could do a lower budget, more grounded political thriller with him and it would be a damn good movie.

I like the new team going forward. It's been known for a while that this is where they were heading for not only Civil War, but because they came to grips with the notion that after Infinity War they're probably losing Downey, Helmsworth, and maybe even Evans. Evans has retracted some of the stuff on retiring, and rumor is they'll go the Bucky route if he does.

And agreed on Vision. Great iteration of him, and Bettany is perfect for the role.

I'm not sure what their deal is with Thor. I think it's really as simple as the goal of this movie was to set things up for Civil War and Phase III. I expect him to have a much larger role in the Infinity Wars movies, because when it comes to the intergalactic stuff, he's always been the most equipped of the group to do the fighting.

Eh. I just just don't find Renner and/or Hawkeye all that compelling, particularly among that group. It wasn't as annoying in the first one because he was packaged with Black Widow. But the sequel put the spotlight on him for a stretch and the movie ground to a halt, imo. I'm just not sure what he adds. 

The director and Gosling did Drive, too, and it took me a second viewing to fully understand what they were trying to do artistically. I thought Only God Forgives was going to be the same way, but alas.  

The director and Gosling did Drive, too, and it took me a second viewing to fully understand what they were trying to do artistically. I thought Only God Forgives was going to be the same way, but alas.  

So Drive is worth watching?  I thought that was what I was getting when I started on that mess with Gossling and Selena Gomez.  That is the one with the Beast, Super Dave Osborne's brother Albert and Walter White?  That was okay.  From what I remember it kind of reminded me of the Punisher movie with the guy from Hung.  I looked up the director.  Guy is almost as chinless as George Lucas.  He did that Bronson movie that SFJ was touting with the new Mad Max.   That was a pretty decent film, but I did not find it particularly enjoyable to watch.   Considering he wrote Only God Forgives, I would hate to know anything about his relationship with his mom.

Eh. I just just don't find Renner and/or Hawkeye all that compelling, particularly among that group. It wasn't as annoying in the first one because he was packaged with Black Widow. But the sequel put the spotlight on him for a stretch and the movie ground to a halt, imo. I'm just not sure what he adds. 

I think the problem is that he hasn't been done so well. Like Daredevil showed, it's all about the story you tell. The appeal of Hawkeye has always been that he's a normal dude amongst a group of gods who is trying his best to be a superhero; and there are some instances where he messes up bad because he's just a normal dude. Real bad. Either by getting himself hurt, hurting someone else, or not adhering to the same sort of moral obligations that his teammates with actual powers have. The comics deal with some serious sh*t, but Marvel Studios has never really shown any interest in telling those stories.

There are also a ton of other things they never did to introduce his actual character. Notably his relationship with Mockingbird and the fact that he was originally an enemy of Iron Man, but like I said, that's not the character's fault. Blame the studio.

The ironic thing is that since the Avengers became a global franchise on screen, Hawkeye has pretty much been Marvel's best comic.

So Drive is worth watching?  I thought that was what I was getting when I started on that mess with Gossling and Selena Gomez.  That is the one with the Beast, Super Dave Osborne's brother Albert and Walter White?  That was okay.  From what I remember it kind of reminded me of the Punisher movie with the guy from Hung.  I looked up the director.  Guy is almost as chinless as George Lucas.  He did that Bronson movie that SFJ was touting with the new Mad Max.   That was a pretty decent film, but I did not find it particularly enjoyable to watch.   Considering he wrote Only God Forgives, I would hate to know anything about his relationship with his mom.

Drive is awesome. So is Bronson and Valhalla Rising.

I'm pretty sure The Rock's Hercules movie was an attempt at a Gladiator ripoff. Not a BAD movie, Ian McShane could never be in anything bad, but I wouldn't watch it again over say...Prince of Persia...if forced to pick between the two. Prince of Persia is mad underrated THO.

Only good thing about prince of Persia is Gemma Arterton in it. She could make anything watchable