Movies We've Seen Thread

The Host (on Netflix) was so lame. What. The. ****? I was so excited to see it. It had gotten some really good reviews and was even endorsed by Tarantino. My god. It was so bad. :(

I liked it. Didn't love it as much as others. But he got the money to make Snowpiercer because of that flick so who gives a sh*t.

I liked it. Didn't love it as much as others. But he got the money to make Snowpiercer because of that flick so who gives a sh*t.

Didn't realize it was the same dir. Makes sense, had the same kind of sense of humor. Sorta Terry Gilliam thing (almost) going on. The movie itself had its good parts but the monster was so unbelievably unconvincing and there wasn't even a shred of scares in it. If I looked at it as more of a SciFi-Drama-Comedy I probably would have liked it better. 

Didn't realize it was the same dir. Makes sense, had the same kind of sense of humor. Sorta Terry Gilliam thing (almost) going on. The movie itself had its good parts but the monster was so unbelievably unconvincing and there wasn't even a shred of scares in it. If I looked at it as more of a SciFi-Drama-Comedy I probably would have liked it better.

It was a SciFi comedy.

It was a SciFi comedy.

Except it was filed under Horror on Netflix, so you see it there, check the ratings and you think you're getting something you're not. I don't read reviews until after I see the movie if at all (usually). It's at least, acceptable as a SciFi Comedy I guess, in that dark, eery Korean/Japanese style/way. Overall it still felt like a waste of time/boring besides a few scenes, despite its intentions, imo...

Except it was filed under Horror on Netflix, so you see it there, check the ratings and you think you're getting something you're not. I don't read reviews until after I see the movie if at all (usually). It's at least, acceptable as a SciFi Comedy I guess, in that dark, eery Korean/Japanese style/way. Overall it still felt like a waste of time/boring besides a few scenes, despite its intentions, imo...

Why do you hate Asians?

While we're on Cronenberg, best SciFi movie most people haven't seen...

EXISTENZ.jpg

Just finished it.  Really liked it.  At times I felt like I was actually getting kinda nervous.  Very original and gives you that feeling of seeing something for the first time. I like that feeling.  Of course I have to watch it again now that I can pick up on things. Thanks Hess.   

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm getting old.

BTW, I enjoyed Oculus. Nothing great, but pretty creepy and Karen Gillan is easy to look at.

Same here! I liked both Insidious movies too including the second.

Darkness is another one, a liittle older, that was fun IMO. I'm a sucker for a good ghost story.

Just finished it.  Really liked it.  At times I felt like I was actually getting kinda nervous.  Very original and gives you that feeling of seeing something for the first time. I like that feeling.  Of course I have to watch it again now that I can pick up on things. Thanks Hess.   

Watching it now.  Pretty good.  

Did you hear me, Chinese waiter?

• Upvote 1

That scene in Gone Girl where some woman snaps a picture with Affleck's character, he asks her to delete it, and she literally says that she will show it to whoever she wants to. Infuriating sign of the times. It's my favorite little moment of that movie.

BTW: Watched that movie last night for the first time...Even knowing the ending its just ******* excellent.

While we're on Cronenberg, best SciFi movie most people haven't seen...

EXISTENZ.jpg

One of my all-time favorites.  Too bad it did not do so well commercially.  Way, way ahead of its time.

Changing channels earlier and saw that Fincher's "The Game" was on.  It's one of those flicks you just can't turn off, even if you've seen it dozens of times.  

For those of you who haven't seen it, go forth and rent/stream.  You will not be disappointed.  Just make sure you go into the movie knowing nothing about it.

One of my all-time favorites.  Too bad it did not do so well commercially.  Way, way ahead of its time.

Changing channels earlier and saw that Fincher's "The Game" was on.  It's one of those flicks you just can't turn off, even if you've seen it dozens of times.  

For those of you who haven't seen it, go forth and rent/stream.  You will not be disappointed.  Just make sure you go into the movie knowing nothing about it.

First time I watched it, I was literally on the edge of my seat for the last half hour.  One of my faves.

• Upvote 1

One of my all-time favorites. Too bad it did not do so well commercially. Way, way ahead of its time.

Changing channels earlier and saw that Fincher's "The Game" was on. It's one of those flicks you just can't turn off, even if you've seen it dozens of times.

For those of you who haven't seen it, go forth and rent/stream. You will not be disappointed. Just make sure you go into the movie knowing nothing about it.

Love The Game. I feel like that movie didn't get the respect it deserved because everyone wanted Fincher to follow up Seven with something equally deranged. Then it had the misfortune of being sandwiched between that and Fight Club.

• Upvote 1

Oh my god. Society comes out on blu ray next week. If you haven't seen Society, it is probably the best horrible 80s horror movie that exists. It's 80 billion degrees of brilliant genius.

Loved it when I saw it 100 years ago.

so I saw trailer for the documentary, "jodorowsky's dune" documentary a while back

I actually saw the documentary last night

I don't what to say other than our lives are less interesting because this movie was never made

I might try to find el topo and the holy mountain

I saw Age of Ultron and Mad Max last week, back-to-back nights while visiting family (free babysitting).

Mad Max was everything I wanted it to be. I adore Charlize, loved her character, loved the movie. My wife got a chuckle out of the guitar playing hotrod, but as I explained to her, this was a great mark of consistency with the original stylistic concept for these films, which were like "lord of the flies" for metal heads in the late 70s early 80s. I like that the details like this didn't get wiped away and replaced with something more trendy. She got it.

Avengers was a hot mess punctuated by the ridiculously forced fling between Scarlett and Hulk. It was a bad movie, in just about every way. Whedon can basically only write a few types of characters, and he used this sh*tty movie to start morphing established Marvel characters into Whedon characters. I really didn't like it much at all.

*********Spoiler Alert********** - though I think everyone has seen it. 

saw "Age of Ultron"...not sure why everyone is so harsh toward it.  It's a really fun movie and just easy to enjoy and thats why I go to movies.  Especially super hero.  I'm not looking for some mind blowing epic for the ages. 

The first 20 minutes was awesome.  The Hulk goes mental seen was awesome with it finish vs. Hulk Ironman.  The final fight vs. Ultron was awesome.  They did enough to carry the story line from a character development standpoint IMO.  Dont really get the, it was a "mess" consensus.  Seemed pretty cut and dry to me.   I loved the Thor Hammer seen and then the casual conversation at the end about how Vision doesnt count.

Loved them getting deeper into the Banner vs. Bruce + Black Widow angel.  I loved getting deeper into Hawkeye's life. Renner is the man and I really thought he stole the show in the movie.  I absolutely loved the new additions.  Vision and Scarlet Witch were bad asses.  Sucks Quicksilver dies but the whole cell reginerating thing...they can bring him back, right? 

I thought it was fun movie experience and not only tied together a bunch of the movies but also moved the needle with entire Marvel saga.

I saw Age of Ultron and Mad Max last week, back-to-back nights while visiting family (free babysitting).

Mad Max was everything I wanted it to be. I adore Charlize, loved her character, loved the movie. My wife got a chuckle out of the guitar playing hotrod, but as I explained to her, this was a great mark of consistency with the original stylistic concept for these films, which were like "lord of the flies" for metal heads in the late 70s early 80s. I like that the details like this didn't get wiped away and replaced with something more trendy. She got it.

Avengers was a hot mess punctuated by the ridiculously forced fling between Scarlett and Hulk. It was a bad movie, in just about every way. Whedon can basically only write a few types of characters, and he used this sh*tty movie to start morphing established Marvel characters into Whedon characters. I really didn't like it much at all.

haha too funny.  Mad Max is next on my list.  But as you can see above, liked Age of Ultron.  Dont really get this "hot mess" stuff.  What was the difference between 1 and 2? 

Have to admire his dedication. Loved it everytime he was on screen.

The crazy vehicles & characters, everything was all eye candy. Cannot even fathom not seeing a movie anymore without 3D.

haha too funny.  Mad Max is next on my list.  But as you can see above, liked Age of Ultron.  Dont really get this "hot mess" stuff.  What was the difference between 1 and 2? 

The first Avengers had one major story: the team coming together to defeat the central threat. It was peppered with effective character-defining nuance, but it stuck to the primary story. 

The second movie puts every sub-plot at the same level of story-telling hierarchy as the main plot. There is no nuance, everything is forced and way too much time was put into re-defining the accepted truths we know about some the characters. Hulk doesn't need new wrinkles. Neither does Downey Jr. Stark, he's done a brilliant job building that character, so stop tearing it down and turning him into Nathan Fillion's character from Firefly. The love story between Hulk and Black Widow; Hawkeye's family life; oh, now SHIELD isn't jacked up; the twins, their tormented youth, how they got their powers, their eventual transition from bad to good; Jarvis being defeated, but not; Ultron being created; Ultron creating The Vision; the Avengers getting dismantled by the twins; the Avengers battling Ultron; gobbledy-goop; plus seeding future movie plots with characters like Thor becoming distracted by what he saw when he got in the water, etc.

Whedon compromised the story arc in favor of "playing" cutesies with a lot of the characters and their inter-play. sh*t like this is what his fanboys love in Firefly and Buffy, but it really has no business muddling an already over-stuffed story wherein several new Avengers are introduced (in true Marvel fashion they can't just roll them in, there HAS to be a bloated origin story), a great villain is introduced and then doesn't actually get enough movie to be compelling, and then the next 17 movies have to be set up. This movie was just like this past season of Walking Dead, purely filler that'll take the audience on to the next one.

Anyway, it's good you enjoyed it. I had higher expectations. 

The first Avengers had one major story: the team coming together to defeat the central threat. It was peppered with effective character-defining nuance, but it stuck to the primary story. 

The second movie puts every sub-plot at the same level of story-telling hierarchy as the main plot. There is no nuance, everything is forced and way too much time was put into re-defining the accepted truths we know about some the characters. Hulk doesn't need new wrinkles. Neither does Downey Jr. Stark, he's done a brilliant job building that character, so stop tearing it down and turning him into Nathan Fillion's character from Firefly. The love story between Hulk and Black Widow; Hawkeye's family life; oh, now SHIELD isn't jacked up; the twins, their tormented youth, how they got their powers, their eventual transition from bad to good; Jarvis being defeated, but not; Ultron being created; Ultron creating The Vision; the Avengers getting dismantled by the twins; the Avengers battling Ultron; gobbledy-goop; plus seeding future movie plots with characters like Thor becoming distracted by what he saw when he got in the water, etc.

Whedon compromised the story arc in favor of "playing" cutesies with a lot of the characters and their inter-play. sh*t like this is what his fanboys love in Firefly and Buffy, but it really has no business muddling an already over-stuffed story wherein several new Avengers are introduced (in true Marvel fashion they can't just roll them in, there HAS to be a bloated origin story), a great villain is introduced and then doesn't actually get enough movie to be compelling, and then the next 17 movies have to be set up. This movie was just like this past season of Walking Dead, purely filler that'll take the audience on to the next one.

Anyway, it's good you enjoyed it. I had higher expectations. 

In one breath, you're complaining about "character development" and then in another, you're saying that they dont need new wrinkles because the characters are developed enough.  I thought this took a deeper angle further than just their strengths and how they deal with and adapt to society excepting them, etc.  They went the route of their personal strengths, ideals, agendas and how that works in a team tasked to protect the world.

IDK - I guess I just dont know what people really expected.  Its a superhero movie that involves a sh*t ton of superhero's.  I got to imagine its hard to keep it perfectly cohesive, even though I didnt necessarily have a problem with it.  And its clear this was a set up flick.  So I was fine with now it ties some stories from their other movies together and then setting it up for the real threat we've been waiting for them to battle in Thanos. 

Fun movie IMO.  I enjoyed it.  I want to watch it again!