Movies We've Seen Thread

So Tom Holland is the new Spidey and they hired this dude named Jon Watts to direct it. With the director, I think it's a further sign that Marvel is heading down the annoying direction that it took in Phase II, which produced only one good movie (Cap 2), unless Ant-Man surprises people, which it certainly could. What I mean is that they had so many problems with directors, notably Edgar Wright and Patty Jenkins. Both left because they couldn't take not having any control whatsoever over their movies. Whedon seems to have even gotten on board that train, giving some cryptic statements after Ultron, and looking pretty happy to be done with Feige. I think hiring a guy like Watts, who nobody has heard of and hasn't directed anything notable, is a sign that they are done with trying to do anything other than continue to craft each movie as yet another step towards Infinity Wars, and screw what any individual director may want. Which in some ways is fine; I enjoy the continuity, but sooner or later moviegoers are going to burn out on every movie being a universe builder. What made the Phase I movies so great is that they were all good standalone movies first, and built towards a universe second.

And I dunno, there's just something lame about folding Spidey into the cookie cutter'ness of it all. He's Marvel's biggest property and this all just seems so formatted.

So Tom Holland is the new Spidey and they hired this dude named Jon Watts to direct it. With the director, I think it's a further sign that Marvel is heading down the annoying direction that it took in Phase II, which produced only one good movie (Cap 2), unless Ant-Man surprises people, which it certainly could. What I mean is that they had so many problems with directors, notably Edgar Wright and Patty Jenkins. Both left because they couldn't take not having any control whatsoever over their movies. Whedon seems to have even gotten on board that train, giving some cryptic statements after Ultron, and looking pretty happy to be done with Feige. I think hiring a guy like Watts, who nobody has heard of and hasn't directed anything notable, is a sign that they are done with trying to do anything other than continue to craft each movie as yet another step towards Infinity Wars, and screw what any individual director may want. Which in some ways is fine; I enjoy the continuity, but sooner or later moviegoers are going to burn out on every movie being a universe builder. What made the Phase I movies so great is that they were all good standalone movies first, and built towards a universe second.

And I dunno, there's just something lame about folding Spidey into the cookie cutter'ness of it all. He's Marvel's biggest property and this all just seems so formatted.

Oh God, another reboot?

Streep in Devil Wears Prada, I would do all sorts of terrible things to.  

Sidenote: I also like condescending women.

Other sidenote: I also have relationship issues. 

I was too busy looking at Ann Hathaway

I was too busy watching movies made for men.

• Upvote 1

Jurassic World is unashamedly ridiculous, which makes a bunch of it pretty ******* awesome. I want a pet raptor.

At least there wasn't any breakdance fighting this time. I enjoyed the hell out of Jurassic World. The most hard-to-believe part was pretending that Cheryl from Archer was a loving Mother and not trying to get choked out while getting railed in front of the Mosasaurs tank. 

Super intelligent, can figure out how to open a door, and gets had by "hey you."

Spielberg's worst, IMO. Indy 4 is a steaming pile of sh*t too, and it has the fridge, but Spielberg probably didn't even direct like half of The Lost World (supposedly he was mailing it in while more concerned with Amistad) and it has a little girl doing AN ENTIRE GYMNASTICS ROUTINE THAT CULMINATES WITH HER KICKING A RAPTOR IN THE FACE.

Spielberg's worst, IMO. Indy 4 is a steaming pile of sh*t too, and it has the fridge, but Spielberg probably didn't even direct like half of The Lost World (supposedly he was mailing it in while more concerned with Amistad) and it has a little girl doing AN ENTIRE GYMNASTICS ROUTINE THAT CULMINATES WITH HER KICKING A RAPTOR IN THE FACE.

I like to pretend that the Crystal Skull just didn't happen. I've always been curious as to how Darabondt's original script would have been, ya know, before it got Lucas'd. 

I hated AI. One of the most depressing movies ever.

I like to pretend that the Crystal Skull just didn't happen. I've always been curious as to how Darabondt's original script would have been, ya know, before it got Lucas'd. 

I actually have a theory about that. I think the general public's reaction to the story hit Lucas damn hard, and that's what finally drove him to hand over the keys to Star Wars. Granted, Lucas is actually an awesome dude and a lot of the sale also had to do turning the profits all over to charity, but I think Indy 4 was the final nail in the coffin. The one that finally told him the public didn't enjoy his stories and was going to keep hammering him about it, and he just got tired of people begging him to make more movies just so they could call him a piece of sh*t or whatever.

I actually have a theory about that. I think the general public's reaction to the story hit Lucas damn hard, and that's what finally drove him to hand over the keys to Star Wars. Granted, Lucas is actually an awesome dude and a lot of the sale also had to do turning the profits all over to charity, but I think Indy 4 was the final nail in the coffin. The one that finally told him the public didn't enjoy his stories and was going to keep hammering him about it, and he just got tired of people begging him to make more movies just so they could call him a piece of sh*t or whatever.

The part that gets me is that all three had to agree upon it for the film to be made; which means that these three iconic figures in cinema all sat down and said yea, ya know what, this is gold.  I also feel for Darabondt as if reports are true, his script was pretty brilliant, still had aliens and then bam, your entire year's work just gets sh*tcanned.  At least Indiana Jones and the Haunted Mansion never got made.

The part that gets me is that all three had to agree upon it for the film to be made; which means that these three iconic figures in cinema all sat down and said yea, ya know what, this is gold.  I also feel for Darabondt as if reports are true, his script was pretty brilliant, still had aliens and then bam, your entire year's work just gets sh*tcanned.  At least Indiana Jones and the Haunted Mansion never got made.

I wonder sometimes where his career goes if THX 1138 is successful. He definitely doesn't make American Graffiti, and IMO Star Wars either looks a lot different or doesn't even get made at all.

I wonder sometimes where his career goes if THX 1138 is successful. He definitely doesn't make American Graffiti, and IMO Star Wars either looks a lot different or doesn't even get made at all.

THX 1138 and George Costanza, albeit mostly the latter, often make me wonder just how productive and accomplished I could be if I never thought about sex. 

I watched Nightcrawler this weekend. I'll put it in the "well, this was a interesting little surprise on Netflix" category.

I've thought about watching that movie like 5 times but feel like the previews have given it all away.  

Recommend it or not? 

I've thought about watching that movie like 5 times but feel like the previews have given it all away.  

Recommend it or not? 

It's worth a watch, yea. It's dark, and there's some part that are well acted, and other parts where you're like "damn, that's ****ed". 

Watched John Wick on HboGo, very enjoyable action flick. Keanu Reeves has the emotional range and movement of a 2x4, but he seems to find parts occasionally where it works for the character. This is one of those times, fun movie

It's worth a watch, yea. It's dark, and there's some part that are well acted, and other parts where you're like "damn, that's ****ed". 

yes, good movie and Gyllenhaal was superb

Cool...because I really dont have anything on my radar right now.  I'll give this a shot though.

Nightcrawler is recommended.  I didn't love it, but it is certainly worth a watch.

Caught the last half hour of Jurassic World on Wednesday.  I was waiting to pick people up in the lobby and they told me to just go back.  I doubt I lost anything by missing the beginning.  Dumb good fun.  I was laughing out loud for a good portion of it. 

Saw Spy on Saturday.  Exactly what you'd expect.  Good fun movie.  They should have used a stunt double when she ran though. 

So here's the deal, The Green Inferno is really good. I know you either love or hate Eli Roth, but this is by far the best work he's ever done (aside from the Thanksgiving trailer and Nation's Pride).

- When the theatrical release happens, you are going to see the Internet complain about how indigenous people are portrayed. Ignore it. It's ******* fiction. And horror to boot. These criticisms will undoubtedly come from the hashtag causeheads who are currently bitching about Jurassic World not giving the dinosaurs names that are racially sensitive enough. Ironically, those are actually the people that Roth is critiquing with this flick, and murdering them in savage, awesome form.

- It is pretty clear from the get-go that Roth's only goal with the flick is to sh*t on the white savior complex, which is A-OK by me. I found it hilarious to be honest.

- Regardless of whether you like Roth's stuff or not, one thing nobody can deny is that the man is damn creative when it comes to murdering people. Green Inferno is some seriously vicious sh*t. If you're a gore lover, there's nothing to hate here.