Santonio Holmes will be Jets priority

F.Chowds

Posted by Josh Alper on June 24, 2011, 9:01 AM EDT

Getty ImagesAs we draw closer to a labor agreement, we also get closer to free agency and that means it is time to start discussing who will land where when the league gets back to business.

The Jets will likely be one of the busiest teams once that day comes. Not only are they annually active buyers, this year also finds them with several free agents of their own. Antonio Cromartie, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Brad Smith highlight the list and Jason LaCanfora of NFL.com is hearing that Holmes will be the first guy they try to keep in the fold.

“From everything I’ve heard, he will be a priority. Look at what they’ve done in recent years with D’Brickshaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, stepping up for Darrelle Revis. They’ve done everything possible to keep their young core. … I think Holmes stays in New York”

LaCanfora isn’t the first guy to indicate Holmes is the number one priority for the Jets and there’s good reason to believe that all this smoke is coming from a real fire. Holmes is a more versatile receiver than Edwards, he’s more consistent and is a year younger. Holmes had 52 catches for 746 yards and six touchdowns in 12 games for the Jets in 2010. He missed the first four games because of a drug suspension and added nine more catches for 127 yards and two scores during their run to the AFC Championship Game.

Thanks to the deals in place for Ferguson, Mangold and Revis, as well as the franchise tag hung around David Harris’s neck, the Jets likely won’t have enough cap space to ink all their free agents. Smith has seen the writing on the wall and it would seem that Cromartie would be the team’s second biggest priority, which should leave Edwards looking for work elsewhere once we finally get football back.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted by Josh Alper on June 24, 2011, 9:01 AM EDT

Getty ImagesAs we draw closer to a labor agreement, we also get closer to free agency and that means it is time to start discussing who will land where when the league gets back to business.

The Jets will likely be one of the busiest teams once that day comes. Not only are they annually active buyers, this year also finds them with several free agents of their own. Antonio Cromartie, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Brad Smith highlight the list and Jason LaCanfora of NFL.com is hearing that Holmes will be the first guy they try to keep in the fold.

“From everything I’ve heard, he will be a priority. Look at what they’ve done in recent years with D’Brickshaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, stepping up for Darrelle Revis. They’ve done everything possible to keep their young core. … I think Holmes stays in New York”

LaCanfora isn’t the first guy to indicate Holmes is the number one priority for the Jets and there’s good reason to believe that all this smoke is coming from a real fire. Holmes is a more versatile receiver than Edwards, he’s more consistent and is a year younger. Holmes had 52 catches for 746 yards and six touchdowns in 12 games for the Jets in 2010. He missed the first four games because of a drug suspension and added nine more catches for 127 yards and two scores during their run to the AFC Championship Game.

Thanks to the deals in place for Ferguson, Mangold and Revis, as well as the franchise tag hung around David Harris’s neck, the Jets likely won’t have enough cap space to ink all their free agents. Smith has seen the writing on the wall and it would seem that Cromartie would be the team’s second biggest priority, which should leave Edwards looking for work elsewhere once we finally get football back.

This is terrible news, I can't believe we're making this idiot a priority. I really wanted the Jets full focus to be on the drunk driver who, months before, partied with a drunk driver before that guy went out and killed someone but still chose to NOT call a car service and instead got behind the wheel to celebrate a victory against a division rival. No wait, that happened all the way back in week 2, so it didn't happen.

Edwards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Holmes

"Jason LaCanfora of NFL.com is hearing that Holmes will be the first guy they try to keep in the fold.

Baseless speculation as usual

Actually, this isn't news. It's a PFT piece quoting LaCanfora who has being saying they like Holmes over Edwards all along. Many of us agree, but some don't care much either way as long as one gets signed. It seems ridiculous to list Holmes with guys Tanny drafted like D'Brick, Mangold and Revis and they didn't exactly step up for Revis until he held them up.

FWIW, Edwards was the one that got picked up for DUI last year, NOT Holmes. I don't think Holmes has any DUI cases on his record, but he does have a drug suspension. Pick your poison.

It would seem to me that Harris is the priority. He is the one they slapped the tag on. I don't think the new deal will necessarily have the tag and that protection is the reason they haven't been talking about Harris much.

Younger

More versatile

More consistent

sounds about right to me

It would seem to me that Harris is the priority. He is the one they slapped the tag on. I don't think the new deal will necessarily have the tag and that protection is the reason they haven't been talking about Harris much.

the ILB tag is by far the cheapest of all the tags (except for P/K). If they sign Harris they actually have to pay him way more than if they just tag him.

I will say this, if they sign Holmes and not Edwards there is going to be one big spotlight on Holmes. The media and the fans will be on his every move, on and off the field. He better not screw up anywhere.

This is a very interesting point. If the poll on this board is indicative of the overall fan base, Edwards is the one preferred by a wide margin. When you consider some of Holmes sloppy play last year (drops and fumbles) combined with his drug issues, he'll be on a very short leash with the fans. And forget it if he fails another drug test and gets suspended for a year, he'll get run out of town in a heartbeat.

The more I read these articles, the more sure I am that the Jets will sign Edwards. if there is stuff leaking out of the Jets FO, its for a purpose

I sure hope you're right, but its definitely a bit disconcerting. With the whole lockout situation, it makes it that much more difficult to figure out what's legit and what's a smokescreen.

No surprise here. Holmes is the better player. The franchise has clearly favored him from day 1. Sanchez clearly preferred him over BE. Dont know why anyone would be surprised by this news, especially considering this has been the rumor since the season ended.

Just get it done Tanny!

I sure hope you're right, but its definitely a bit disconcerting. With the whole lockout situation, it makes it that much more difficult to figure out what's legit and what's a smokescreen.

At this point in time none of us know what their priorities are, but it seems pretty clear Holmes is going to the highest bidder. Why in the world would they leak that he is their #1 priority, and run his price up?

Edwards on the other hand has stated that he wants to return, and will consider a home town discount. Wouldn't it make sense to make him think they are interested in Holmes, and then go to him first and tell him if he takes a certain # on a contract they will sign him before talking to Holmes?

That's what I'd do anyway. We'll see. I just think that Mike T is to slick to let this kind of stuff leak just for the heck of it.

No surprise here. Holmes is the better player. The franchise has clearly favored him from day 1. Sanchez clearly preferred him over BE. Dont know why anyone would be surprised by this news, especially considering this has been the rumor since the season ended.

Just get it done Tanny!

He didn't favor him over Edwards with 28 seconds left in the Colts game when he called the play. It was an 18 yard pass to Edwards.

Not signing Edwards will be a big mistake.

You can thank Revis for that. If he didn't force the Jets to give him a ridiculous contract last year, we'd have money to sign most of those guys, and Revis would still have 2 years on his contract.. Now we have to pick and choose between a bunch of great players, which sucks, because some of them will not be resigned.

You can thank Revis for that. If he didn't force the Jets to give him a ridiculous contract last year, we'd have money to sign most of those guys, and Revis would still have 2 years on his contract.. Now we have to pick and choose between a bunch of great players, which sucks, because some of them will not be resigned.

Haha! If he wasn't worth it, the Jets wouldn't've paid it.

It's expensive to keep a talented team together.

He didn't favor him over Edwards with 28 seconds left in the Colts game when he called the play. It was an 18 yard pass to Edwards.

Well, thats one play. It was very obvious Sanchez was more comfortable throwing to Holmes...you know why? Because he's more likely to be open and he's the player that can run every route, unlike BE.

Denver, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston...without Holmes, BE never gets a chance to make that catch.

Haha! If he wasn't worth it, the Jets wouldn't've paid it.

It's expensive to keep a talented team together.

This is true, but I will still forever think Revis is a douche for holding out with THREE YEARS left on a contract he held out for to begin with. Obviously the Jets thought in the end he was worth the money, which is tough to argue, but he's still a douche.

Well, thats one play. It was very obvious Sanchez was more comfortable throwing to Holmes...you know why? Because he's more likely to be open and he's the player that can run every route, unlike BE.

Denver, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston...without Holmes, BE never gets a chance to make that catch.

You know I'm a Holmes fan even if I do prefer Braylon (honestly I'll be disappointed if they're not both retained). That said, PLEASE do not be one of those people who credit Holmes with the Houston win. That's the kind of crap that makes me believe that as good as he is, Holmes talent simply doesn't match his hype. The guy's TD was an easy catch wide open in the endzone thanks to a WR pick from Cotchery. That is a catch that literally every single receiver in the league would've been expected to make. Meanwhile, a play earlier Braylon was the one who burned the Texans defense down the field to get them down into scoring range when they had less than a minute and no timeouts to run their drive and the D knew they had to go deep. But thanks to it coming off of the Cleveland and Detroit games, it makes it a bigger deal for the media to treat Holmes like the hero, and people actually bought into that crap. Of course Holmes had plenty of other big plays and big games to credit, but that's one that just irritates the crap out of me.

It's reasons like this that I don't give any credence to these top lists out there, because I believe Edwards' contributions have been underrated and Holmes' overrated based more on their pre-Jets history than anything. That said, I do agree with you that the signs from last season do show some preference from the team to Holmes, which is why this news doesn't shock me, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

You know I'm a Holmes fan even if I do prefer Braylon (honestly I'll be disappointed if they're not both retained). That said, PLEASE do not be one of those people who credit Holmes with the Houston win. That's the kind of crap that makes me believe that as good as he is, Holmes talent simply doesn't match his hype. The guy's TD was an easy catch wide open in the endzone thanks to a WR pick from Cotchery. That is a catch that literally every single receiver in the league would've been expected to make. Meanwhile, a play earlier Braylon was the one who burned the Texans defense down the field to get them down into scoring range when they had less than a minute and no timeouts to run their drive and the D knew they had to go deep. But thanks to it coming off of the Cleveland and Detroit games, it makes it a bigger deal for the media to treat Holmes like the hero, and people actually bought into that crap. Of course Holmes had plenty of other big plays and big games to credit, but that's one that just irritates the crap out of me.

It's reasons like this that I don't give any credence to these top lists out there, because I believe Edwards' contributions have been underrated and Holmes' overrated based more on their pre-Jets history than anything. That said, I do agree with you that the signs from last season do show some preference from the team to Holmes, which is why this news doesn't shock me, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

Well, BE ran a straight line and caught a perfectly placed ball. Holmes ran a route, that whether you want to give him credit for it or not, is a timing route that is a little more difficult to run than just running a sprint down the sideline. Neither a particularly hard route to run either way. The most telling part of this story...who did they trust on the last play of the game?

And if you dont like that example, fine. Cleveland, Detroit, Denver. Its clear who the organization favors and the numbers say our young QB favors the same player who was at Jets west unlike BE.

We are in the same boat, we want both. I just prefer the better player. :D

Well, BE ran a straight line and caught a perfectly placed ball. Holmes ran a route, that whether you want to give him credit for it or not, is a timing route that is a little more difficult to run than just running a sprint down the sideline. Neither a particularly hard route to run either way. The most telling part of this story...who did they trust on the last play of the game?

And if you dont like that example, fine. Cleveland, Detroit, Denver. Its clear who the organization favors and the numbers say our young QB favors the same player who was at Jets west unlike BE.

We are in the same boat, we want both. I just prefer the better player. :D

Bah, we'll never agree on the Houston game. If you ask me, Edwards beat double coverage and Holmes beat no coverage thanks to his teammate taking out the one man assigned to him. And I could counter your trust argument with who did they trust when they needed to get down the field in a matter of seconds? Granted, in the grand scheme of things one game doesn't matter all that much.

Although you're right, we agree that we want both, and you just prefer the one who the media tells you is better. :-P

Bah, we'll never agree on the Houston game. If you ask me, Edwards beat double coverage and Holmes beat no coverage thanks to his teammate taking out the one man assigned to him. And I could counter your trust argument with who did they trust when they needed to get down the field in a matter of seconds? Granted, in the grand scheme of things one game doesn't matter all that much.

Although you're right, we agree that we want both, and you just prefer the one who the media tells you is better. :-P

Nah, I <3 Rex. And take his word over any goober posting on JN.

Nah, I <3 Rex. And take his word over any goober posting on JN.

I <3 Rex too, I just honestly think he's more wrapped up in who gave the Ravens DBs more problems when he was DC than who's shown themselves to be a better fit in their time with the Jets. After all, this is the guy who he called the best player on the field his first day of Jets practice, so it's not exactly supporting the idea that he's evaluating with complete objectivity.

Of course under the circumstances, I wouldn't exactly expect you to agree with that, but I'm not a goober, ya goober.

I <3 Rex too, I just honestly think he's more wrapped up in who gave the Ravens DBs more problems when he was DC than who's shown themselves to be a better fit in their time with the Jets. After all, this is the guy who he called the best player on the field his first day of Jets practice, so it's not exactly supporting the idea that he's evaluating with complete objectivity.

Of course under the circumstances, I wouldn't exactly expect you to agree with that, but I'm not a goober, ya goober.

Why isnt he the better fit? Sanchez clearly favored him. How do you know they havent asked for Sanchez's opinion?

Further, I think when you are a DC, who had to prepare for both players twice a year, you probably have a good opinion of who is the better player based on what you see on film...that's a pretty objective approach if you ask me.

I think Rex knows who's a better fit for this team than you.

Why isnt he the better fit? Sanchez clearly favored him. How do you know they havent asked for Sanchez's opinion?

Further, I think when you are a DC, who had to prepare for both players twice a year, you probably have a good opinion of who is the better player based on what you see on film...that's a pretty objective approach if you ask me.

I think Rex knows who's a better fit for this team than you.

Frankly, Sanchez was playing like absolute sh*t when he was zoned in on Holmes. His worst stretch of the season came in the stretch when he was going Holmes way all game long. Not that Holmes is to blame for that, obviously Sanchez is, but it's the reality of the situation. He only really turned it around once he started evening out the distribution again late in the year (not just to Edwards, but to everybody else).

With his accuracy issues, I just happen to think Edwards size is much more suited for Sanchez, particularly when you account for the fact that (despite Edwards horrid 2008), in their time with the Jets Edwards has had significantly more reliable hands. Sanchez also clearly likes to throw the deep ball (and does it well), and has had more success doing it with Edwards.

Hell, I don't expect you to agree or to think that's the route the Jets will go, because it probably won't be. I just know I've seen nothing over the past year or two that makes me think Holmes is far and away the best option for this team as it currently stands.

Archived