Santonio Holmes will be Jets priority

F.Chowds

Smith has seen the writing on the wall and it would seem that Cromartie would be the team’s second biggest priority, which should leave Edwards looking for work elsewhere once we finally get football back.

This is the way I've seen it all along, with Holmes and Cromartie as the Jets' priorities. I hope the Jets want to keep Edwards, and communicate to him to please be a little patient while they work thru what they need to - but I have a feeling they're going to lose him. FA is going to happen fast and the first guys to sign get the big money, while the guys waiting don't. Edwards will get big money offers from other teams.

I hope the Jets have a Plan B in place at WR that doesn't involve old men and/or undrafted FA's.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surprise here. Holmes is the better player. The franchise has clearly favored him from day 1. Sanchez clearly preferred him over BE. Dont know why anyone would be surprised by this news, especially considering this has been the rumor since the season ended.

Just get it done Tanny!

1. Holmes

2. Ocho/Moss

3. Cotchery

4. Whoever replaces smith

Get it done Tanny

"Mr. Ochocinco? There's a 'Mr. T' for you on Line Two."

Ocho Cinco on this team will be an even bigger circus. Oh... my... god...

Rex + Bart + Ocho + Cromartie + Santonio = CRAZY

Anyway, BE>>>>>>>>>Santonio. Edwards is a team member, Santonio is, I hate to say it, a punk.... even when compared to Braylon which is saying a lot.

Anyway, BE>>>>>>>>>Santonio. Edwards is a team member, Santonio is, I hate to say it, a punk.... even when compared to Braylon which is saying a lot.

I guess Santonio is a bigger punk than Donte Stallworth in your opinion as well. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZpJ5Tuo_A

1:12 to 1:54 = TOTAL NON TEAMMATE

Braylon is a Jet, almost as much a Jet as Jerricho at this point. Holmes is along for the ride, that's it.

This statement is complete horsesh*t. People are just taking shots at Holmes now to pump up Braylon (and vice versa). Give me both back so we can end this bickering.

This is terrible news, I can't believe we're making this idiot a priority. I really wanted the Jets full focus to be on the drunk driver who, months before, partied with a drunk driver before that guy went out and killed someone but still chose to NOT call a car service and instead got behind the wheel to celebrate a victory against a division rival. No wait, that happened all the way back in week 2, so it didn't happen.

Yeah, why would they want to keep one of the best wr's in the game. Stupid Jets.

The Jets are a competitive team, just like almost 1/4 of the teams in the league. As for playing in NY, what does that even mean anymore?

Competitive? They've been to back to back championship games, and are considered SB contenders. 1/4 of the teams in the league can't make that claim. Also, NY is still the biggest stage out there and will attract FA's. Honestly, do you think a FA will prefer Tampa over NY?

the ILB tag is by far the cheapest of all the tags (except for P/K). If they sign Harris they actually have to pay him way more than if they just tag him.

RB is less.

Safety is less.

TE is less.

(and P/K as well).

OL is effectively the same as LB (There's no real difference between $10M and $10.1M on a 9-figure salary cap)

There is no such thing in the NFL as an ILB tag. Harris (like Greenway) is tagged for the exact same money as Hali and Woodley.

Inside/Outside only matters on the DL. LB and OL it makes no difference.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ncrease-for-dts

Quarterbacks: $16 million ($16.4 million in 2010)

Running backs: $9.5 million ($8.15 million in 2010)

Wide receivers: $11.3 million ($9.5 million in 2010)

Tight ends: $7.3 million ($5.9 million in 2010)

Offensive linemen: $10.1 million ($10.7 million in 2010)

Defensive ends: $12.9 million ($12.4 million in 2010)

Defensive tackles: $12.5 million ($7 million in 2010)

Linebackers: $10 million ($9.7 million in 2010)

Cornerbacks: $14 million ($9.6 million in 2010)

Safeties: $8.8 million ($6.5 million in 2010)

Kickers: $3.1 million ($2.8 million in 2010)

I don't hate Holmes, I just don't think he is as good as people claim he is. For every good play he makes, he makes a bad play that either contributes to a loss or delays a win. I remember at least 1 dropped TD from Holmes in the playoffs. Funny thing is Braylon had the drops the year before that.

What is worrisome to me is that I honestly don't feel good about the Jets this year right now. The offense was clicking with Braylon and Keller as the focal points and then we just randomly decided to move away from that, and struggled down the stretch beating really bad teams until the playoffs.

This year's schedule has much better teams and I don't have any real faith in this circus of a CS on the offensive side. And defensively, I think while the defense will be very good, it will not be as dominant as previous years and the offense will have to be more consistent and contribute more.

We need Shonn Greene and Sanchez to step up no matter who we have as WRs. Now I'm as big a Sanchez pumper as anybody, but even I have to admit we can't say with certainty that Sanchez will make that improvement he needs to make. Part of that is on the coaching, and part is on Sanchez. Either way I don't feel confident.

Would I feel more confident with someone other than Schitty? Probably. If we had McDaniels as the OC I'd feel pretty good on our chances, since he can even make Kyle Orton look like an NFL QB. Hell, McDaniels would make Henne a legit QB. Bradford is going to have an absolutely fantastic year this year. But we don't have McDaniels, and I am not bullish on Sanchez as a result. Well, maybe a minor bullishness.

RB is less.

Safety is less.

TE is less.

(and P/K as well).

OL is effectively the same as LB (There's no real difference between $10M and $10.1M on a 9-figure salary cap)

There is no such thing in the NFL as an ILB tag. Harris (like Greenway) is tagged for the exact same money as Hali and Woodley.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ncrease-for-dts

Quarterbacks: $16 million ($16.4 million in 2010)

Running backs: $9.5 million ($8.15 million in 2010)

Wide receivers: $11.3 million ($9.5 million in 2010)

Tight ends: $7.3 million ($5.9 million in 2010)

Offensive linemen: $10.1 million ($10.7 million in 2010)

Defensive ends: $12.9 million ($12.4 million in 2010)

Defensive tackles: $12.5 million ($7 million in 2010)

Linebackers: $10 million ($9.7 million in 2010)

Cornerbacks: $14 million ($9.6 million in 2010)

Safeties: $8.8 million ($6.5 million in 2010)

Kickers: $3.1 million ($2.8 million in 2010)

One can almost feel the pwnage in their loins.

Haha! If he wasn't worth it, the Jets wouldn't've paid it.

It's expensive to keep a talented team together.

Only reason he got as much as he did was because Nmandi's absurd contract, which is now void. Revis is a great player, but he's overpaid now, the highest corner in the league. I think it's by a good amount too. I have to look that up.

i never claimed to be a salary cap guy... but still... tagging Harris is significantly cheaper than tagging Holmes, Edwards or Cro. let's not pretend they were gonna tag Eric Smith.

Haha! If he wasn't worth it, the Jets wouldn't've paid it.

It's expensive to keep a talented team together.

It is almost impossible to keep a talented team together. The players have to want to stay an possibly forgo a huge payday. You do not see that too often.

Ah yes, the always classic excuse for declaring a bunch of stuff as fact without ever really knowing what you were talking about.

he's nitpicking at the details but the basic premise still stands. It's significantly cheaper to tag Harris than any of the other "big" free agents.

i never claimed to be a salary cap guy... but still... tagging Harris is significantly cheaper than tagging Holmes, Edwards or Cro. let's not pretend they were gonna tag Eric Smith.

Actually, tagging Eric Smith instead of Harris wouldn't be all that much different than tagging Holmes or Edwards instead of Harris. About a $1.2M swing in either direction.

With all the FA's the Jets had this year, Cromartie never had any more realistic shot of being franchise tagged at $14M than Eric Smith did at $8.8M. If Smith's chance of being tagged is deemed to be 0%, Cromartie's chances might be 0.1% (still effectively zero).

Harris should end up with a deal in the $7-8M per year range (though it's possible he could get a touch more with the cap likely going up), or they'll just leave him tagged and revisit it again next year. Given his not insignificant injury history, leaving him tagged may be the better play. Then next year they'll either give him a longer deal and cut Scott (if his play noticeably starts to fall of this year), or bring in a younger/cheaper player. But having a pair of $8M ILBers is a big number to carry every year.

Archived