Umps

madmikeisback

Clearly safe....baseball tonight had a segment on how bad they've been over the past few weeks.

Umps are going to miss calls, it is a part of the game. Every team in the league both benefits and is distracted by missed calls. It would be foolish to say any team is a particular beneficiary. Every sport has this.

What MLB needs to clamp down on is the attitudes of some of the umpires and some of their blatant need of showmanship. They think they are part of the entertainment of the game. Some even egg on players and coaches, looking to pick battles.

It is a tough job, but they don't need to make themselves part of the game.

Honestly, I'd be more upset if I were the Mariners and the only run of the game got on base with a 3 ball walk than a bang bang play at home.

Yeah, more upset than losing a game on a horrific homer call? ot too sure about that one.

Veridouche sold the ump, and the ump way buying his sh1t

I think the league needs instant replay, in Boston, and only Boston

Yeah, more upset than losing a game on a horrific homer call? ot too sure about that one.

Veridouche sold the ump, and the ump way buying his sh1t

Counting to 4 vs. bang bang play. Which one is harder? Maybe counting is hard for you JonE.

Ask Jim Joyce about bang bang plays.

That would have been nice in the 99 playoffs. Knoblauch missed that tag by 3 feet.

Were there any Yankee fans crying about it back then?

Do boston fans really think they were gonna win that series in 99 even without that call? The 99 Yankees were arguably better than the 98 team. They lost 1 game in the playoffs.

Probably not, but that wasn't the only bad call in that series. The umps took away any chance of the upset.

Then why does every other sport have instant replay?

I kind of agree. I don't get why ignoring technology is seen as some badge of honor by some in the world of baseball.

If you can get the call correct- why not? It's as simple as that.

I kind of agree. I don't get why ignoring technology is seen as some badge of honor by some in the world of baseball.

If you can get the call correct- why not? It's as simple as that.

They have it-on boundary calls.

Are you going to examine very strike? Every close play on the bases? Every tag play?

Where do you draw the line. Baseball has infinitely more plays and detail than any other sport. You will turn a 3:30 spectacle into a 5:00 spectacle.

personal opinion, but I am fine with the human element. Over the cousre of 162 games, it evens out.

There are plenty of ways to do it. A centralized review location like the NHL has or challenges like the NFL has. It's not perfect but it's sure as hell better than the system they have now. Getting the calls right is more important than making the games a few mins faster.

Archived