The guy is a professional entertainer and he just walked away from MLB's de facto Fan Appreciation Day for what can only be construed as selfish reasons when he was set to be its star attraction. Look at it this way: if Jete was stuck at 2,999 and this was a game against the Royals, you can bet your a$$ he'd be in the lineup and, if he wasn't, he'd have one of his typically weepy interviews wherein he acts like somebody killed his dog. He has a responsibility--if not to the fans then to the product--to be there.

C'mon. It's an all-star game, TS. He just came off the DL. He just had a remarkable weekend in which he treated not only himself, but the Yankee fans to a pretty incredible day. I think this "he's a selfish a-hole, he's blowing off the all-star game" is just another way of saying "I'm a Mets fan and I hate the Yankees."

Want to know who I think may be a bigger a-hole? On the surface it looks like a good, good deed. A good, good guy....but when you think about it long enough, it's just stupid. The guy that caught Jeter's 3,000th hit. What did he get? Tickets for the rest of the year? Free consession food? Meanwhile, the Yankees will make a bundle off of 3,000 merchandise. This dude? He'll be knee deep in hotdogs and still staring at his reported $100K debt. He should have held on for the big pay off. Yup, it's a dog eat dog world, TomShane.

Edited by Garb

C'mon. It's an all-star game, TS. He just came off the DL. He just had a remarkable weekend in which he treated not only himself, but the Yankee fans to a pretty incredible day. I think this "he a selfish a-hole, he's blowing off the all-star game" is just another way of saying "I'm a Mets fan and I hate the Yankees."

I am a Mets fan, and I do hate the Yankees, but none of that means that Jeter--who happily embraces being billed as THE gentleman of the game and arbiter of player conduct--didn't blow off the ASG when he was going to be its star attraction in the rapidly waning days of his career, where the fans voted him in.

Want to know who I think may be a bigger a-hole? On the surface it looks like a good, good deed. A good, good guy....but when you think about it long enough, it's just stupid. The guy that caught Jeter's 3,000th hit. What did he get? Tickets for the rest of the year? Free consession food? Meanwhile, the Yankees will make a bundle off of 3,000 merchandise. This dude? He'll be knee deep in hotdogs and still staring at his reported $100K debt. He should have held on for the big pay off. Yup, it's a dog eat dog world, TomShane.

They just interviewed the guy who caught Roger Maris' 61 home run ball. The guy (79 years old now) said that he caught the ball and was brought down to meet Maris. Star-struck, he offered Maris the ball and Maris told him to hang on to it and make some money off it. The guy was eventually offered $5,000 and a free flight to San Francisco for his honeymoon. He gave half the $5,000 to his parents. Great story.

Maybe Jeter will give this kid a free bag of Yankee dirt? That'll be a great story, too.

Edited by T0mShane

C'mon. It's an all-star game, TS. He just came off the DL. He just had a remarkable weekend in which he treated not only himself, but the Yankee fans to a pretty incredible day. I think this "he's a selfish a-hole, he's blowing off the all-star game" is just another way of saying "I'm a Mets fan and I hate the Yankees."

And he played 6 games in 6 days with no problems. Or was that to get his 3000 hits at home?

I get him wanting to get his 3000 hit in front of the home crowd, but as TS said, go and make an appearance.

At least the poor kids taxes. Heard today the kid will have to pay taxes on the tickets

http://nationalsportsreview.com/2011/07/12/told-ya-so-christian-lopez-to-face-huge-tax-bill-for-free-yankee-tickets/

Levine and Tross are scum of the earth, but the kid should have known better.

Its basically went down like this with Lopez:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awK0NrgHUbk

Ha. It's too bad. When you add in the money he'll pay on beer, food, getting to the game (he lives upstate), he's going to hang himself. It won't be six months before the Post runs a story on him where he's flat broke and wondering what might have been. The kid is a true idiot.

He looked fine yesterday. No one ever exerts themselves at the game. Pulling out is BS. At least A Rod has a legit injury and excuse.

If he played I'd have to hear you idiots say he was putting himself ahead of the team.

Overrated? Maybe, but unlikeable? Give me a ******* break.

I'd like to see the percentage of fans that vote on the ASG that actually watch the game.

As a fan of the Yankees myself- I want to see the team win the WS. If a player feels he's better off not playing in the ASG due to an injury he sustained in a real game- I have zero problem with him sitting out. The guy admitted he came off the DL early to get 3,000 at home.

The people complaining about this are most likely Yankee haters or people that werent planning on watching the game anyways.

Edited by Matt39

I'd like to see the percentage of fans that vote on the ASG that actually watch the game.

As a fan of the Yankees myself- I want to see the team win the WS. If a player feels he's better off not playing in the ASG due to an injury he sustained in a real game- I have zero problem with him sitting out. The guy admitted he came off the DL early to get 3,000 at home.

The people complaining about this are most likely Yankee haters or people that werent planning on watching the game anyways.

You don't want to play? Fine. Still should show up. Those fans just earned Jeter 500k by voting him in. He could at least fly out and join his teammates. It's not like he would get oral fellatio all weekend if he did.

You don't want to play? Fine. Still should show up. Those fans just earned Jeter 500k by voting him in. He could at least fly out and join his teammates. It's not like he would get oral fellatio all weekend if he did.

What does it matter to you if Jeter stands in the dugout or not? I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Cano see's enough of Jeter for the other 200 days of the season. He'll get over it.

What does it matter to you if Jeter stands in the dugout or not? I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Cano see's enough of Jeter for the other 200 days of the season. He'll get over it.

It doesn't matter to me. It matters to the kids and fans thy voted for him. Don't show up don't collect the bonus. Simple as that. Or donate it to charity.

The baseball tonight guys and other sports writers have been railing Jeter and others about not showing up so don't act like I'm going out on a limb here. It's a big time topic right now.

It doesn't matter to me. It matters to the kids and fans thy voted for him. Don't show up don't collect the bonus. Simple as that. Or donate it to charity.

The baseball tonight guys and other sports writers have been railing Jeter and others about not showing up so don't act like I'm going out on a limb here. It's a big time topic right now.

You're acting as if I dont think Jeter's a hyporcrite for making all of this money off of the 3k thing. I just dont give a rats a$$ about the ASG. It becomes more and more meaningless every year.