Free Agency tentatively to begin July 22.

Jetman_67

Hopefully your sources are right. This offseason is killing me. The board has been so dead lately I was actually forced to have a conversation with my wife about our feelings towards each other. I'm telling you, I need this lock out to end.

Hopefully your sources are right. This offseason is killing me. The board has been so dead lately I was actually forced to have a conversation with my wife about our feelings towards each other. I'm telling you, I need this lock out to end.

Those who really know me, know my sources are pretty damn good. I cant provide proof at this time, but am very confident in the info.

Crazy eh!! Thank god its ending, I was worried about possible layoffs in November out here.

the timetable would make sense- about one week of free agency before camps open the end of July

the timetable would make sense- about one week of free agency before camps open the end of July

No more worry about furloughs and layoffs!!!! :) Trust me, I have been very worried. Its hard enough building a small business, but if we lose half the household income, we are in trouble. My Lockout worries have had nothing to do with the Jets playing or not playing. (Well, not entirely, I was more worried for financial reasons)

I can't believe Tannenbaum is destroying this team like this.

How the f*ck do you give that much money to a scrub like that!?

Oh, real nice. But I guess that's what you have to do when you burn draft picks every year.

That guy doesn't even fit the scheme!

Stupid Jets Tricks, 2011.

Wouldn't have had to overpay for him if Tannenbaum didn't blow that pick on Gholston.

Ok, I'm officially ready for free agency.

Within the next week apparently. They are very close. Dont be surprised if there are only 3 pre season games this year though

If camp started on time why would they cut a preseason game? That doesn't make sense to me...

I could see the hall of fame game being cut since those teams have to start camp earlier.

If camp started on time why would they cut a preseason game? That doesn't make sense to me...

I could see the hall of fame game being cut since those teams have to start camp earlier.

Free Agency starting on July 22, doesnt mean camp is open on time. It could happen, but there are several issues to be completely resolved for camp on time. They are close enough to plan on FA period starting in 14 days. There will be football in 2011 for certain and a full regular season.

Here's Scheffter...rookie wage scale seems to be the last hurdle

http://www.thejetsbl..._medium=twitter

Haha! So the owners want to drop the #1 pick contract from about $50M to $20M AND they want to maintain the length of contracts at five years so said players have to wait 'til a point that may never come to make the "big" money. Got it. I'm sure a deal is right around the corner. :rolleyes:

IMHO, the NFL has to tie a rookie wage scale to shorter deals. If I were the NFLPA, I'd be fighting for three year deals, with one year of RFA after that. No way I'd give them five.

Another hurdle is the fact that the league is looking for some sort of "right of first refusal" for each team to retain up to three of their own free agents when the signing fury finally hits. Basically the addition of three more franchise/transition type tags for each team - or 96 additional players off the free market. I wouldn't give on that, either. The owners locked the players out and put themselves in this bind. No reason for the players to make it any easier (or cheaper) for them.

Haha! So the owners want to drop the #1 pick contract from about $50M to $20M AND they want to maintain the length of contracts at five years so said players have to wait 'til a point that may never come to make the "big" money. Got it. I'm sure a deal is right around the corner. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the NFLPA-esque would consider taking this. With the salary cap floor, almost every dollar that doesn't go to the first rounder goes to the veterans. The only first rounder that ends up out of the league in five years sucks horribly anyway.

I wonder if the NFLPA-esque would consider taking this. With the salary cap floor, almost every dollar that doesn't go to the first rounder goes to the veterans. The only first rounder that ends up out of the league in five years sucks horribly anyway.

The guys who get seriously screwed in this scenario are first round RB's. Carrying the load for five years on a limited rookie deal, and close to washed up at 28. Certainly not in line for big dollars, anyway.

But a cap in rookie deals should go hand-in-hand with shorter rookie contracts. The owners want all the control with longer deals that only they have the right to renig on at any time. That's not right. The players should be able to be a part of the veteran payouts sooner if rookie contracts are going to be limited. For the owners part, it gets them out of bad draft picks sooner and less expensively - they'll just have to pay the premium they didn't pay when they drafted them in the first place if the players do work out. The owners are still ahead of the game at that point.

From what I had understood the holdup isnt even so much the length of the deals (I guess there is a slight argument over 4 or 5 years) but the incentive structures. The owners want the NBA system which essentially makes agents worthless and no longer would allow players like Stafford to ever have a chance at resetting the market for a position. The players want an incentive system. The problem with any incentive system is that it puts the league right back at square 1 since its the incentive system that blew up rookie wage scales of the course of the previous 2 CBAs once agents quickly figured out that the key to maxmizing money was no longer signing bonuses, but large year 1 salaries coupled with option bonuses and easily attainable incentives.

My own thought on the rookie wage scale was that the league should make the contract incentivized, but stipulate that no incentives can kick in until year 4 (giving the team the full 3 year evaluation that is usually needed to judge a player). Basically the way it would work is the player has the first three years under the current rookie pool that was always in place but force real compliance with the 25% rule, meaning a guy drafted top 10 would make something like 2, 2.5, and 3 million in the first three years of the deal rather a guy like the Ghost making something like 17 million. In year 4 the team would have an option to pick up another 3 years on the player that would pay him the same three year cash payout that the stars in the position received. For example the 3 year average for the top 5 QBs is probably around 50 million of which 33 is guaranteed. So to keep Mark after 2011 the Jets would hve to pick up a 50 million dollar option, of which 33 million is guaranteed. I had tiers based on where drafted (Top 10, 1st round, rest of draft) to determine how many players would be used to calculate the 3 year salaries and you could improve your slotting based on reaching incentives those first three years. If the guy isnt worth that kind of money you simply renegotiate a real contract after 3 years. I figured this would give teams a chance to hang onto young superstars but not cause the young superstars to get stuck on yearly unguaranteed contracts the way they would if the franchise tag is in place.

They will never do anything like this so I do think a ROFR on the contract is reasonable after 4 years. The only thing is that they have to find a way to not tie cap money into that. One of the reasons that RFA is basically dead is because teams dont want to waste the time negotiating with a player who will be reclaimed by the original team(thats the same concept as to why the Jets never went after Ray Lewis since they knew they were just going to be used to negotiate a higher salary for him in Baltimore) and then watch the original team wait the full 7 days to reclaim the player and tie up the other teams cap for a week. By the time their cap frees up again they lost out on a number of other FAs. Teams will probably have to decide within 48 hours if they do have a ROFR in place for everyone.

From what I had understood the holdup isnt even so much the length of the deals (I guess there is a slight argument over 4 or 5 years) but the incentive structures. The owners want the NBA system which essentially makes agents worthless and no longer would allow players like Stafford to ever have a chance at resetting the market for a position. The players want an incentive system. The problem with any incentive system is that it puts the league right back at square 1 since its the incentive system that blew up rookie wage scales of the course of the previous 2 CBAs once agents quickly figured out that the key to maxmizing money was no longer signing bonuses, but large year 1 salaries coupled with option bonuses and easily attainable incentives.

My own thought on the rookie wage scale was that the league should make the contract incentivized, but stipulate that no incentives can kick in until year 4 (giving the team the full 3 year evaluation that is usually needed to judge a player). Basically the way it would work is the player has the first three years under the current rookie pool that was always in place but force real compliance with the 25% rule, meaning a guy drafted top 10 would make something like 2, 2.5, and 3 million in the first three years of the deal rather a guy like the Ghost making something like 17 million. In year 4 the team would have an option to pick up another 3 years on the player that would pay him the same three year cash payout that the stars in the position received. For example the 3 year average for the top 5 QBs is probably around 50 million of which 33 is guaranteed. So to keep Mark after 2011 the Jets would hve to pick up a 50 million dollar option, of which 33 million is guaranteed. I had tiers based on where drafted (Top 10, 1st round, rest of draft) to determine how many players would be used to calculate the 3 year salaries and you could improve your slotting based on reaching incentives those first three years. If the guy isnt worth that kind of money you simply renegotiate a real contract after 3 years. I figured this would give teams a chance to hang onto young superstars but not cause the young superstars to get stuck on yearly unguaranteed contracts the way they would if the franchise tag is in place.

They will never do anything like this so I do think a ROFR on the contract is reasonable after 4 years. The only thing is that they have to find a way to not tie cap money into that. One of the reasons that RFA is basically dead is because teams dont want to waste the time negotiating with a player who will be reclaimed by the original team(thats the same concept as to why the Jets never went after Ray Lewis since they knew they were just going to be used to negotiate a higher salary for him in Baltimore) and then watch the original team wait the full 7 days to reclaim the player and tie up the other teams cap for a week. By the time their cap frees up again they lost out on a number of other FAs. Teams will probably have to decide within 48 hours if they do have a ROFR in place for everyone.

I love it, and thanks for the insight. The only time I feel bad for the owners is when they get trapped into paying Alex Smith $50 mil. Obviously a long-term cap-killer, but also a huge distraction in the locker room one would think. I'd definitely like to see some recourse for the management side if they draft a huge bust. I think your plan gives the owners recourse without compromising veteran salaries.

I like a slottign wage scale (drafted in the round, this spot, you get X money, period).

I also like mandated 4-year contracts for all rookies, in line with the slot system above.

Rookies salaries should not be a major burden on teams, and nor a major pain the a$$. Leave that for resigning Veterans who've earned it.

And a rookie (age 21 or so when entering the league, age 25 at end of 4 year deal) should have plenty of time left to capitalize on earning their second deal.

What such a system screws (perhaps rightfully) is the guy who gets in to the show, then is gone before the 4 years are up. Even then, he'll make plenty of money if high-drafted, and if he's gone that eary, he wasn't worth more.

I like a slottign wage scale (drafted in the round, this spot, you get X money, period).

I also like mandated 4-year contracts for all rookies, in line with the slot system above.

Rookies salaries should not be a major burden on teams, and nor a major pain the a$. Leave that for resigning Veterans who've earned it.

And a rookie (age 21 or so when entering the league, age 25 at end of 4 year deal) should have plenty of time left to capitalize on earning their second deal.

What such a system screws (perhaps rightfully) is the guy who gets in to the show, then is gone before the 4 years are up. Even then, he'll make plenty of money if high-drafted, and if he's gone that eary, he wasn't worth more.

That's rarely the case. Usually they're 22-23, or older. A lot of them were held back in high school to continue competing there, then get red-shirted for a year before playing another four in college. A RB entering the league at 24 who tears up the league as a third round pick is pretty much toast when contract talks start for him and he's going to be 29 already. That's why the no hold-out rule the owners want is BS. A guy like Chris Johnson should be able to hold out for a better deal when he's so clearly outperforming his rookie contract. God knows if he sucked, an owner would just cut him.

If you want to make rules like that for rookies, then rookie deals should be guaranteed.

Archived