The Mets Trade/Dump KRod

T0mShane

Mets traded KRod to the Brewers for two players to be named later (expected to be middling prospects). Good. KRod had just signed on with Boras, who was going to be a huge pain in the a$$. Now it's the Brewers headache.

I'm all for cleaning house, btw. This team wouldn't contend as constituted. Their only hope is to trade anyone they can deal and get back as many prospects as they can, then hope they can compete in three years.

Beltran to the Red Sox is supposedly the next deal in the pipeline.

P.S. FU Wilpons

The Red Sox have no interest in Beltran. They have the best offense in baseball. If anything they could use another arm in case one of the injuries is worse than expected in the rotation. Beltran has a no arbitration clause so if you rent him you don't even get any draft picks. That's not Theo's style. Crawford will be back soon, Ellsbury is white hot right now and the Sox can get by with Reddick and Drew in RF. No room for Beltran and his bloated and loaded contract.

The Red Sox have no interest in Beltran. They have the best offense in baseball. If anything they could use another arm in case one of the injuries is worse than expected in the rotation. Beltran has a no arbitration clause so if you rent him you don't even get any draft picks. That's not Theo's style. Crawford will be back soon, Ellsbury is white hot right now and the Sox can get by with Reddick and Drew in RF. No room for Beltran and his bloated and loaded contract.

You're a little cocky there, Peaches. You also think Reyes would bat ninth for you. The fact is, despite your "amazing" lineup, you're still only as good as a pitching-depleted Yankee team that will, no doubt, go out and scoop up the best available starter(s) in the next two weeks. Then you're slap-fighting with Tampa and five other teams for the Wild Card the rest of the way.

You're a little cocky there, Peaches. You also think Reyes would bat ninth for you. The fact is, despite your "amazing" lineup, you're still only as good as a pitching-depleted Yankee team that will, no doubt, go out and scoop up the best available starter(s) in the next two weeks. Then you're slap-fighting with Tampa and five other teams for the Wild Card the rest of the way.

You realize you're talking to Carl who'd make you believe the Red Sox have won the past 30 World Series?

You realize you're talking to Carl who'd make you believe the Red Sox have won the past 30 World Series?

Welll Matt, this team constructed is supposed to lead a charge towards 120 wins this season

Figuring they'll go undefeated the 2nd half, and they too, like Ellsbury can be considered "white hot."

The Mets had no choice. If his "appearance" option vested, K-Rod's contract would kill them. For the good of the franchise no matter who the owner is, hopefully this is a step to clearing salary budget to re-sign Reyes.

As to the owner-Einhorn's deal has yet to close. This is a hedge fund guy who's idea is sticking it to badly-run companies by shorting them. The Wilpons seem to think that they will have no problem repaying him $200 million, and looking at the math on the surface don't see how they can. The Mets are losing gobs of money everyplace but Shake Shack, SNY(which they claim they will not sell; doubtful EInhorn or any sane investor would buy in without an interest in SNY) and the Cylcones. In fact their confidence is another typical Wilpon move.

Dayum! That was one serious bitch-slappin'!

And by a Mets fan no less!

They got guys that will be mowing your lawn in a few years

Jone-You repsond more in Met and Red Sox threads than you do Yankees.

No One knows who they will get or how they will pan out.

If I need to explain this deal to you and why it was necessary, you really shouldn't be throwing opinions around on sports forums ;)

Okay everyone fact time:

1. Ellsbury is white hot. He's hitting nearly .500 with an OPS over 1.300 in July. That is white hot.

2. The Red Sox are 53-25 since the 2-10 start. That's pretty darn good.

3. Where would Reyes hit in the Sox line-up Tom? I guess they could bat him 7th or 8th, but his speed would be better utilized at the bottom. 1-6 are set.

4. Beltran is a rental player that will bring you nothing in return as far as draft picks. Someone might trade for him, but last I read the Sox have zero interest. The Mets won't be able to get a great return unless someone is willing to sign Beltran long term, but given his injury history, I doubt that will happen. The Red Sox might look into adding pitching at the deadline, but their line-up is fine as constructed, obviously.

Any questions?

Okay everyone fact time:

1. Ellsbury is white hot. He's hitting nearly .500 with an OPS over 1.300 in July. That is white hot.

2. The Red Sox are 53-25 since the 2-10 start. That's pretty darn good.

3. Where would Reyes hit in the Sox line-up Tom? I guess they could bat him 7th or 8th, but his speed would be better utilized at the bottom. 1-6 are set.

4. Beltran is a rental player that will bring you nothing in return as far as draft picks. Someone might trade for him, but last I read the Sox have zero interest. The Mets won't be able to get a great return unless someone is willing to sign Beltran long term, but given his injury history, I doubt that will happen. The Red Sox might look into adding pitching at the deadline, but their line-up is fine as constructed, obviously.

Any questions?

Sources tell Buster Olney of ESPN.com that "perhaps as many as seven teams" are showing "real interest" in Carlos Beltran.

We've heard the Giants and Red Sox mentioned prominently this week at the All-Star Game, but Beltran could make sense for any number of teams. There's a case to be made that he'll be the best bat available at the trade deadline. The Mets have a nice chip on their hands here, but they'll likely have to throw in some cash to get a blue chip prospect.

Related: Red Sox, Giants

Source: Buster Olney on Twitter Jul 13, 12:06 PM

Sources tell Buster Olney of ESPN.com that "perhaps as many as seven teams" are showing "real interest" in Carlos Beltran.

We've heard the Giants and Red Sox mentioned prominently this week at the All-Star Game, but Beltran could make sense for any number of teams. There's a case to be made that he'll be the best bat available at the trade deadline. The Mets have a nice chip on their hands here, but they'll likely have to throw in some cash to get a blue chip prospect.

Related: Red Sox, Giants

Source: Buster Olney on Twitter Jul 13, 12:06 PM

Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston tweeter te sox have no interest. He doesn't make sense for the sox and he won't even bring back draft picks. Doubt Theo is interested

I don't know it, you don't know it.

Don't try to guess.

Players are "rented" all the time.

It is always Theo's MO to get draft picks. Beltran won't return them so Theo won't give up much to rent him. I doubt the Mets are just going to give him away. Other teams will be willing to offer more, especially since Theo gave up very good prospects to get A-GOn.

Everything adds up to the Sox adding a bullpen arm or a 5th starter type if someone is more injured than they think. The line-up is fine. Just check the numbers.

Carl is speaking as if the Red Sox are above renting a player.

The Sox do what they have to do to win. They are a have to have club just like the Yankees are.

The Red Sox do rent players. I'm not saying that. I'm saying renting a player who is overpaid when you still have JD Drew on the team and you spent a ton of money in the off season AND that player won't net you draft picks in the offseason doesn't seem like it makes much sense. If the Mets are willing to take JD Drew and his contract, then maybe it's worth discussing.

It is always Theo's MO to get draft picks. Beltran won't return them so Theo won't give up much to rent him. I doubt the Mets are just going to give him away. Other teams will be willing to offer more, especially since Theo gave up very good prospects to get A-GOn.

Everything adds up to the Sox adding a bullpen arm or a 5th starter type if someone is more injured than they think. The line-up is fine. Just check the numbers.

Just earlier, you had Beltran barely being a chip, for practically no return ;)

Just earlier, you had Beltran barely being a chip, for practically no return ;)

What I meant was the Red Sox cupboard is a little barren in terms of prospects teams might be interested in because they gave up so much to get Gonzalez. Some team might give up a blue chip prospect for Beltran, but it won't be Boston.

Any questions?

You're a complete moron if you think for one second Reyes bats anywhere but leadoff for the Sawx, or any other team in MLB

He's the best player in baseball.

You really are embarrassing yourself moreso than ever

What I meant was the Red Sox cupboard is a little barren in terms of prospects teams might be interested in because they gave up so much to get Gonzalez

Absolutely hilarious

We've been over this.....The Pads did the Sawx a solid and handed AGone to the Sawx for a bucket of balls

You're a complete moron if you think for one second Reyes bats anywhere but leadoff for the Sawx, or any other team in MLB

He's the best player in baseball.

You really are embarrassing yourself moreso than ever

The best player in baseball? He's having a great season but let's not go overboard. Maybe he would supplant Ellsbury at leadoff, but I don't see it happening. Everyone thought Crawford would hit first but Tito stuck to his guns with Jacoby and it has paid off.

Absolutely hilarious

We've been over this.....The Pads did the Sawx a solid and handed AGone to the Sawx for a bucket of balls

We have been over this and your statement has been proven incorrect again and again. No one has proven otherwise. The Padres got top notch prospects.

I'm pretty sure the Red Sox could find a place for Jose Reyes.

I'm sure they could. The price in a trade would be staggering and so would the contract. The way the Sox are currently constructed what they really could use in the next year or so is a RH power hitting right fielder. That would be gravy.

Archived