Summer TV, Suprising GOOD TV? Who Woulda Thunk It?

Warfish

Usually summer is the doldrums of bad TV, horrible summer tide-you-overs till the good stuff returns, or the soon-to-be-cancelled-new-stuff starts out.

But for me at least, this summer is providing two of the better shows of recent years, far better than most of the tripe out there.

First: Falling Skies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Skies

Pretty Standard Sci-Fi Invasion show concept, but turning out to be really quite good. Some decent acting talent, interesting ideas (have to see where they go), solid special effects for TV. Really liking it so far.

Second: Suits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suits_(TV_series)

Lawyer Show. Kid with no dgree but genius has to make good in a lawfirm under tht tutelige of smartass egomonster never-loses Lawyer. alot of TV tropes in here too, and yet it's remarkably entertaining to me. Been eating this show up. Also, a few pretty hot chicks in the cast, and another ex-Firefly actor (always glad to see them getting work).

So, what are you watching this summer, re-runs, new, anything of interest out there in TV land?

The Killing on AMC was pretty good and left you hanging on the finale.

Falling Skies not bad but I think it could be better -- needs more shock value I guess.

Watched 1st episode of Suits and liked it have the rest sitting on my DVR

I mostly watch Yankees games in the summer or, you know, go outside and do things.

Alot of hours in a day or week Bob, ol' buddy.

Burning an hour or two with the boob-tube is no crime, summer or not.

Need something to do at 11:00 pm on a work-night Tuesday, after all, or whilst eating dinenr with the Missus. :D

Tosh.0, funny, but not the best during-dinner-watching fare.

Burn notice- Michael Weston is the man. Fiona's body makes up for a lot.

Fallen Skies- Pretty good. Like to get one of those harnesses for my kids.

Dual Survivor- Very cool cool if you like watching two guys alone in the wilderness. They should add James Harrison and make it epic.

Burn notice- Michael Weston is the man. Fiona's body makes up for a lot.

Fallen Skies- Pretty good. Like to get one of those harnesses for my kids.

Dual Survivor- Very cool cool if you like watching two guys alone in the wilderness. They should add James Harrison and make it epic.

I'd have bet your tube was tuned to the food network 24x7

HBO changed the game. USA and TNT just took it and modified their model for basic cable. Then again I also think in retrospect NYPD Blue had a tremendous impact on how networks approach shows as well.

You know what? I think FOX deserves some credit. I remember them making waves with a summer release of 90210 and Melrose Place way back in the day.

Archived