The Dark Knight Rises

RutgersJetFan

If you told Nolan that the only villain he could use was Mr. Mxyzptlk, he'd still make it look cool somehow. Hell, he found a way to make Maggie Gyllenhall look like a legitimate love interest.

I have a love interest in Maggie Gyllenhall.

Maggie Gyllenhall >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Katie Holmes

Saw this on Twitter yesterday:

349430301.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1311083238&Signature=VQFt7zoR91zxku8NzZ9YWOJ2qes%3D

If you told Nolan that the only villain he could use was Mr. Mxyzptlk, he'd still make it look cool somehow.

It's a matter of knowing what realistically works for the screen. I remember like last year, they did an interview with him and asked him about the dumb Hoffman/Depp rumors that came out right after TDK, and he said that the Penguin wouldn't work for his interpretation simply because it's not a very realistic character. If you're going for a comic book feel, then yeah sure, he's great for Burton, but he did a fantastic job of picking the villains for this entire series.

Bane is the absolute perfect villain for the arc of this trilogy. Nobody's really been able to test Batman physically yet.

It's a matter of knowing what realistically works for the screen. I remember like last year, they did an interview with him and asked him about the dumb Hoffman/Depp rumors that came out right after TDK, and he said that the Penguin wouldn't work for his interpretation simply because it's not a very realistic character. If you're going for a comic book feel, then yeah sure, he's great for Burton, but he did a fantastic job of picking the villains for this entire series.

Bane is the absolute perfect villain for the arc of this trilogy. Nobody's really been able to test Batman physically yet.

Agree 100%

All great points. I would have thought they'd have tried doing a post-modern Riddler, but it probably would have come off like a cheap Ledger/Joker impression. Bane is as far away from Joker as you can get.

349430301.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1311083238&Signature=VQFt7zoR91zxku8NzZ9YWOJ2qes%3D

I get that Nolan wants his Gotham to be somewhat gritty, but why can't he just let Bruce Wayne have his hot chick?

All great points. I would have thought they'd have tried doing a post-modern Riddler, but it probably would have come off like a cheap Ledger/Joker impression. Bane is as far away from Joker as you can get.

I think Johnny Depp would be an awesome Riddler

And the Joker was as far away from Ras Al Ghul as you could get. It's a pretty great progression of tests. Mentally in the first one, emotionally in the second one, and physically in the third one. Paralleling that, the first wanted to destroy his city, the second wanted to f-ck with his head, and Bane just wants to beat the living sh*t out of him. The Riddler, like you said, wouldn't have moved the pendulum along. I don't know if Nolan's following Knightfall at all, or if he can considering the confines of a 2 hour flick, but the character's such a menace. Saw a trailer for Warrior the other day and Hardy looks like a beast too.

Trailer sucked... but I cannot wait for this film.

I have to disagree "You damm dirty ape".

I am glad they are continuing to run parallel to the comic book and continue down the dark side of Batman.

I am glad they are continuing to run parallel to the comic book and continue down the dark side of Batman.

Huh?

I didn't say the direction its going it sucks... just that the teaser sucks, because there's almost no new footage.

If you told Nolan that the only villain he could use was Mr. Mxyzptlk, he'd still make it look cool somehow. Hell, he found a way to make Maggie Gyllenhall look like a legitimate love interest.

No, he really didn't. Not that it's his fault, but it's simply an impossible task.

I'm not quite sure whether my feelings towards you right now are more of disgust or pity. Were you perhaps traumatized by a neighborhood bulldog as a child?

• 1 year later...

about 2 hours too long

bane was a caricature of bombast, and didn't pull it off

the whole alfred storyline was a waste of time

the surprise didn't work

the movie didn't work

saw it in imax and that didn't save it

avengers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dkr

Avengers 100% FTW.

saw this a few weeks ago, movie was okay, but after a villian like the Joker Bane just kinda felt Meh. i still disagree with pulling up 2 Face just to kill him off liek that though; and i was hoping for more than just Bane, especialy with him freeing he entirety of Gotham Prison. i mean the shout out to Scarcrow was alright, but still. i kept hoping the Croc or Riddler or Penguin would pop up.

Catwoman's been majorly overdone imo; i would have preferred batgirl to another catwoman. epesially one thats nothign but a Phifer rip off. i mean she didnt' even put her own spin on the character. and dont get me started on bringin in Robin ... i mena, has no one even heard of Dark Wing?! the angle their goign with Batman, how it looks like Robin will be taking over as Batman is interesting; though that actor imo lacks the build and persona.

one thing i will say thoguh, loved all the shout outs to the game Arkham City ^_^ especially since its a GREAT game

^ this. 100% this. and they were able to do Dark without goign all emo like the spidey franchise.

btw, totally happy abotut he Spidey reboot. since he looks like a total smartass

the whole alfred storyline was a waste of time

the surprise didn't work

I definitely agree with these. The Bane backstory twist actually meant nothing as far as I can tell, which makes it useless as a plot device. Same goes for the Alfred storyline. And the climbing scenes were stupid. But yay for some nice working out montages. Can't have a good movie without those.

Archived