Free Agency

whodeawhodat

Soooo, I have been confident in Tanny clearing plenty of room as soon as he learns what the new rules will be for the upcoming CBA and I had been confident that we will sign 3 of our 4 main FA BUT I got to thinking about teams like the Bucs who HAVE to spend money and I am thinking these teams will HAVE to overpay for FAs to get to that minimum cap....Who are they going to overpay for? Me thinks Holmes, BE and CRO...

Please tell me I am missing something here.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooo, I have been confident in Tanny clearing plenty of room as soon as he learns what the new rules will be for the upcoming CBA and I had been confident that we will sign 3 of our 4 main FA BUT I got to thinking about teams like the Bucs who HAVE to spend money and I am thinking these teams will HAVE to overpay for FAs to get to that minimum cap....Who are they going to overpay for? Me thinks Holmes, BE and CRO...

Who do you think is the fourth? Brad Smith? He's gone. So is at least one of Braylon, Cro, and Holmes (in the order of most likely to leave). The Jets can do some maneuvering, but the money just isn't going to be there for all three of them.

So the reality is we will get 2, best case? I had my hopes up with the articles I read about us getting down to $103MM cap number. I just didnt think about the other teams that will have to get up to the cap floor...

And yes, I was thinking about Smith and I agree, someone will need/pay him more than we will.

Who do you think is the fourth? Brad Smith? He's gone. So is at least one of Braylon, Cro, and Holmes (in the order of most likely to leave). The Jets can do some maneuvering, but the money just isn't going to be there for all three of them.

I'm not sure if the money alone is the issue. With the timeline they're working under while it would be hard to free up the necessary cash, but I think it'll be even more of an issue that they just won't be able to negotiate enough contracts in time before UFA hits, and once that happens all bets are off. Honestly, I would probably agree with your ranking in a normal UFA period, but I think these circumstances could really change things. With the frenzy that this UFA is bound to be, I think it greatly increases the chances that Braylon could be the guy the Jets keep of the WRs, simply because I think he'll be much more apt to sign quickly and not test FA. Holmes is no doubt the Jets preference, but the Jets need to be careful because if they focus all of their energy on him and then he just decides to go to the highest bidder anyway, they could end up in some trouble.

Cromartie I actually think is the most likely to go, with the only exception being that Tanny can't justify giving up a 2nd rounder for a one year rental. He's going to be looking for far more money than either WR and I'm not sure they'll think he's really worth it, especially when you consider how much they're paying Revis. Plus I have no doubt Rex has much more confidence in his ability to run a defense with whoever they end up with at #2 CB than he does an offense with nothing at WR.

So the reality is we will get 2, best case? I had my hopes up with the articles I read about us getting down to $103MM cap number. I just didnt think about the other teams that will have to get up to the cap floor...

And yes, I was thinking about Smith and I agree, someone will need/pay him more than we will.

I just don't see the Jets resigning both WR's. I'd do that before I brought back Cro, but I just don't see it happening.

Have to figure, too, that the Jets will be losing a lot of players and even before they do they could use some help at safety and in the pass rush department. The money they create will be for something other than just those three guys.

I think Bassett calculated that, after re-doing Sanchez and Harris, the Jets can free up $22 mil to get everybody signed. The receivers will want $8 mil plus to sign and Cro will likely need a contract that will be sick inflated after Aso breaks the bank. IMO, no WAY Cro signs before Aso does.

I just don't see the Jets resigning both WR's. I'd do that before I brought back Cro, but I just don't see it happening.

Have to figure, too, that the Jets will be losing a lot of players and even before they do they could use some help at safety and in the pass rush department. The money they create will be for something other than just those three guys.

That is a fair point, although I do think you'll see the vast majority of money spent on those guys or their replacements at CB/WR. There's not much in terms of pass rush out there in FA to begin with, and I really don't see the Jets spending a ton on a safety, even if there was someone worth spending it on. I think you'll see more of the Jets resigning some of their own guys combined with bringing in more of those mid-level FA types for those positions.

I'm not sure if the money alone is the issue. With the timeline they're working under while it would be hard to free up the necessary cash, but I think it'll be even more of an issue that they just won't be able to negotiate enough contracts in time before UFA hits, and once that happens all bets are off. Honestly, I would probably agree with your ranking in a normal UFA period, but I think these circumstances could really change things. With the frenzy that this UFA is bound to be, I think it greatly increases the chances that Braylon could be the guy the Jets keep of the WRs, simply because I think he'll be much more apt to sign quickly and not test FA. Holmes is no doubt the Jets preference, but the Jets need to be careful because if they focus all of their energy on him and then he just decides to go to the highest bidder anyway, they could end up in some trouble.

Cromartie I actually think is the most likely to go, with the only exception being that Tanny can't justify giving up a 2nd rounder for a one year rental. He's going to be looking for far more money than either WR and I'm not sure they'll think he's really worth it, especially when you consider how much they're paying Revis. Plus I have no doubt Rex has much more confidence in his ability to run a defense with whoever they end up with at #2 CB than he does an offense with nothing at WR.

Interesting.

We both figure that tampering has been running rampant during the lockout, right? Okay, good, got that out of the way.

Figure that the Jets front office has a pretty good idea what the value on these three guys is, and also what they might be willing to spend. I'd expect them to enter into negotiations with all of them simultaneously - even as they're working to clear the cap space needed to sign any of them. From there, they'll sign them in the order that they want them - not the order in which the players agree. In other words, they could have a deal done with Braylon, but wait until the final minute of the 72 hour signing period trying to get Holmes to agree - and then let Braylon walk.

I hope and pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Tannenbaum has completely forgotten about that second round pick, and signs (or doesn't sign) Cromartie based on what he brings to the table in the future - and not on what he's cost the team already. If he and the coaches don't have that kind of faith in Cro, they shouldn't be throwing good money after bad draft picks.

Tampering works both ways, and the agents for all of these players are going to be twisting their arms to get them to test the waters. It's going to be a crazy week or so!

I think Bassett calculated that, after re-doing Sanchez and Harris, the Jets can free up $22 mil to get everybody signed. The receivers will want $8 mil plus to sign and Cro will likely need a contract that will be sick inflated after Aso breaks the bank. IMO, no WAY Cro signs before Aso does.

I'll tell you, I just don't see all three WR's signing. I think they'll resign Braylon as a fallback if they can't resign Holmes, but if they get Holmes under contract they'll be more than happy to let Braylon walk. That's just my gut feeling on the issue.

Harris is the wildcard in this mess, too. He's been a super-team guy, but they have to work out a long term deal for him that also saves them a lot of money this year. He has the power to make things difficult for them, too. While I don't want to see him pull a Revis on them, I hope he doesn't bend over for these guys, either.

You're not.

The Jets have alot of (in some eyes) vital Free Agents, especially at WR (with our #1, #2 and #4/KR all to be Unrestricted). Add in Cro at CB, and Harris at LB, and thats alot of potential lost talent for a Champion-calibur team to shoulder. And thats not the whole list either.

And yes, there will be some teams either low in cap with free space, or teams with low payroll who need to reach a minimum, who will have to find ways to spend to reach it. And yes, the players above all would be top-desired options at their spots.

So yes, we face a potentially damaging Short-Period of Free Agency if we lose some or all of these players without adequate replacement.

So I don't think you missed anything, in principle.

Interesting.

We both figure that tampering has been running rampant during the lockout, right? Okay, good, got that out of the way.

Figure that the Jets front office has a pretty good idea what the value on these three guys is, and also what they might be willing to spend. I'd expect them to enter into negotiations with all of them simultaneously - even as they're working to clear the cap space needed to sign any of them. From there, they'll sign them in the order that they want them - not the order in which the players agree. In other words, they could have a deal done with Braylon, but wait until the final minute of the 72 hour signing period trying to get Holmes to agree - and then let Braylon walk.

I hope and pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Tannenbaum has completely forgotten about that second round pick, and signs (or doesn't sign) Cromartie based on what he brings to the table in the future - and not on what he's cost the team already. If he and the coaches don't have that kind of faith in Cro, they shouldn't be throwing good money after bad draft picks.

Tampering works both ways, and the agents for all of these players are going to be twisting their arms to get them to test the waters. It's going to be a crazy week or so!

Absolutely agree with all of this. And I have no doubt there's been serious tampering going on league-wide and let's be honest, we all know Tanny is one of those most notorious in these regards. And I don't doubt what you're saying regarding how the plan on signing guys, but I suppose the only thing that makes me think that this window could change who the Jets end up signing is because if the Jets have Braylon agreeing to a deal that's $2 mil/year less than what they have on the table for Holmes, and then Holmes tells you he's going to test out FA (which as you suggested, his agent will certainly be pushing for) and get back to you, at what point do the Jets decide they're taking too much risk and sign Edwards? There's no doubt the Jets would prefer to keep Holmes (if not both), but at a certain point they need to cover their own asses.

As far as Cromartie, definitely agree with you on that one. Regardless of what happens from here on out, that pick is long gone so it shouldn't have an impact on the decision making, but that doesn't meant it won't. I feel like if he was just a crappy player, they'd be glad to let him go like any other bad draft pick. But the guy certainly has some talent, and I think there's a chance that what they've already given up might push them to be spending a bit more just to keep him to justify it. Not sure on that one though, and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'll tell you, I just don't see all three WR's signing. I think they'll resign Braylon as a fallback if they can't resign Holmes, but if they get Holmes under contract they'll be more than happy to let Braylon walk. That's just my gut feeling on the issue.

Harris is the wildcard in this mess, too. He's been a super-team guy, but they have to work out a long term deal for him that also saves them a lot of money this year. He has the power to make things difficult for them, too. While I don't want to see him pull a Revis on them, I hope he doesn't bend over for these guys, either.

I agree with everything you've said here. I think Holmes really has Tannenbaum by the balls, though. If I was Tanny, I'd give Holmes and his agent 24 hours to sign my best offer, otherwise Holmes can just sit back and cash in elsewhere and likely in a situation where he'll put up better numbers. I'm sure they've been whispering to each other all summer about numbers, but I'm also just as sure that other teams have been whispering in Holmes' ear, too. That dude has all the power right now.

Good or bad, I think Tanny has shown a willingness to be much more generous and receptive to the guys who really do the "team player" situation with contract negotiations. You hardly heard a peep out of Mangold and before you know it, he's the highest paid center in the league (and deservedly so). I think Harris earned himself a lot of good will with the Jets last year when he openly stated he knew there was nothing the Jets could do about his contract last year and he was fine with it and would gladly play out the year without a peep. I think the Jets are going to lock him up long term as quick as possible and pay him fairly. I actually expect he'll be the first guy you hear a contract announcement for from the Jets once this situation starts. The fact that he was the guy they chose to slap with the tag to begin with despite the plethora of FAs, and namely Holmes and Cromartie who could certainly be considered "worth more", tells you a whole lot about how the team feels about him.

So the question is, when does a team have to be at the cap? Can we sign players when the league year starts then re-do other contracts to get uder the cap in a couple of weeks?

It would be taking a big risk but if Tanny is confident he can get other contracts re-done then it would be worth the risk.

So the question is, when does a team have to be at the cap? Can we sign players when the league year starts then re-do other contracts to get uder the cap in a couple of weeks?

It would be taking a big risk but if Tanny is confident he can get other contracts re-done then it would be worth the risk.

None of us know what the final CBA will look like, but I strongly doubt this. remember the Pennington to the Fish situation? The Jets had a matter of hours to get rid of Pennington to clear cap space for Favre.

There just is no time to negotiate these deals. Looking at this through our competitors eyes is very scary. What happens when a team is $40MM under the cap? Who do they sign? I think it goes beyond just the position needs of your team and you start blowing $10MM a year on upgrades at positions...FAs are going to make out big time in this scenario and I have been looking at potential salaries at historic costs. We could barely squeeze these contracts in under those terms...

Do not be afraid. Uncertain times are opportunities. Sure the Jets have a ton of vital FAs. So does every other team. Sure teams may make offers for Cro, Edwards and Holmes, but Aso and Joseph and plenty more are available at CB. There are a half ton of good WR available - Rice, both Steve Smiths, etc. So many that I forget the list. Then there are the wild cards, Plaxico, Talib, etc. Teams are probably going to be looking to keep their own guys so that they don't have to deal with new bodies that don't get a chance to fit in with the limited camp time. The Jets have shown no fear to add new guys late - Favre, Edwards. If anything I expect the Jets to add talent.

@AdamSchein

Adam Schein

cromartie lists jets, houston, tampa, seattle, dallas, jags, raiders, and arizona as potential landing spots.

2 min ago via Twitter

@AdamSchein

Adam Schein

cromartie says going back to jets is top priority, and he loves playing for rex, but he "ain't giving hometown discount"

@AdamSchein

Adam Schein

cromartie lists jets, houston, tampa, seattle, dallas, jags, raiders, and arizona as potential landing spots.

2 min ago via Twitter

@AdamSchein

Adam Schein

cromartie says going back to jets is top priority, and he loves playing for rex, but he "ain't giving hometown discount"

Cromartie clearly isn't all too concerned about being on a winner. Yikes, there are some pretty crappy teams on that list. And that last comment makes me feel that much more confident that he will not be a Jet again this year. There's going to be some team out there willing to break the bank for him, and it won't be the Jets.

Adam Schein

cromartie thinks holmes is a bigger priority for the jets than braylon. "holmes is a workaholic and a clutch player and he doesn't complain"

30 seconds ago via web

I don't doubt him being the priority, but hasn't Holmes been complaining for like 6 months now about not starting the first series of the AFC Championship? Frankly, both guys whine more than I'd like, but that's NFL WR's for you, for whatever reason that is.

I would be surprised if many players signed in the 3 day window alotted to their current teams. After that 3 day span I see the teams with the most cap room sign the top teir talent available in FA. The teams closer to the upper cap will have to wait to see what is left after the shopping spree of the low cap figure teams as they will set a standard on contracts that noone will be able to meet. T.O. and Ochocinco are looking better and better. I dont think we can keep moss motivated for a full season and once he tanks it, it will all be downhill from there.

@AdamSchein

Adam Schein

i'd be stunned if cromartie signed deal during window of exclusivity. he says he is smartly going to wait for nmandi.

10 minutes ago via web

Thanks Adam Schein! Can you now tell us what color the sky is? :rolleyes:

Based on Cro's comments he ain't going to be a Jet in 2011 and I'm fine with that. The main reason I am fine with it is because it greatly increases the odds that we resign both Santonio and Braylon.

My predicition is Harris signs a longterm deal Friday, Braylon signs on Sunday during the exclusivity period and Santonio visits 2-3 teams before the Jets resign him on Thursday of next week.

Thanks Adam Schein! Can you now tell us what color the sky is? :rolleyes:

Based on Cro's comments he ain't going to be a Jet in 2011 and I'm fine with that. The main reason I am fine with it is because it greatly increases the odds that we resign both Santonio and Braylon.

My predicition is Harris signs a longterm deal Friday, Braylon signs on Sunday during the exclusivity period and Santonio visits 2-3 teams before the Jets resign him on Thursday of next week.

Braylon said he wants to be a Jet, will give a hometown discount, so get him done first then try to squeeze in Holmes and Cro. If they dont want in Its no big deal I think Lance Moore is a better WR than Holmes and I think Wilson can play corner at an effective level and will only get better with playing time.

Braylon said he wants to be a Jet, will give a hometown discount, so get him done first then try to squeeze in Holmes and Cro. If they dont want in Its no big deal I think Lance Moore is a better WR than Holmes and I think Wilson can play corner at an effective level and will only get better with playing time.

A great 2nd option at CB would be Jonathon Joseph who I personally think is better than Cro at this point in their careers but can be had for less because he doesn't get the pub Cro gets.

A great 2nd option at CB would be Jonathon Joseph who I personally think is better than Cro at this point in their careers but can be had for less because he doesn't get the pub Cro gets.

I would not mind that at all Kleck. But if they get rid of Cro I dont think the Jets will sign a top FA CB I think they will get a body in here and let Wilson play. Of course it all depends on how Rex views Wilson .... no one knows for sure but Rex/Pettine

I would not mind that at all Kleck. But if they get rid of Cro I dont think the Jets will sign a top FA CB I think they will get a body in here and let Wilson play. Of course it all depends on how Rex views Wilson .... no one knows for sure but Rex/Pettine

That's actually the best case scenario. If they feel Wilson is ready to step up and start opposite Revis, they are in outstanding shape.

Pretty optimistic scenario, but I can see it panning out like that.

I agree that Cro is almost certainly a goner. Rex has proved he can make due with lesser corners and having two players at the same position taking up at least 20 million in cap room isn't going to fly.

The priority for this franchise should be to make Mark Sanchez the best quarterback he can be. Right now that means giving him as many quality receiving options as possible.

The next two weeks are really going to tell us just how much players "want to play for Rex Ryan." Will any of them leave a nickel on the table to stay with him, or come here in the first place?

Theres no doubt players love Rex on the team and off. Hes a likeable guy and a great defensive coach on a team that will be in contention for a SB ....what more would you want as a player ?

The next two weeks are really going to tell us just how much players "want to play for Rex Ryan." Will any of them leave a nickel on the table to stay with him, or come here in the first place?

It all depends on the guy. If money is more important to the guy, he'll go to the highest bidder. Liking the coach won't enter into their decision. For example, Cro's made it clear that while he'd like to stay, he ain't giving the Jets a hometown discount. Maybe having 47 mouths to feed has something to do with that.

No matter how good a coach is, the majority of players won't do that for anyone. That said, there's already evidence that those few guys who are willing to do it, are more likely to do it for a guy like Rex. Consider that the contract the Jets signed Leonhard for was a decent amount less than the offer he got from the Rams, and Edwards has already stated he would take a discount to stay with the team (and has suggested fellow FAs like Cromartie and Holmes should be willing to do the same to keep the team together). Anyone who thinks the entire roster is going to suddenly gladly take a paycut to stick around is certainly delusional, but the occasional occurrence is still far more than anything we've seen on the Jets before, and a lot better than the days of the John Lynch and Antoine Winfield fiascoes.

It all depends on the guy. If money is more important to the guy, he'll go to the highest bidder. Liking the coach won't enter into their decision. For example, Cro's made it clear that while he'd like to stay, he ain't giving the Jets a hometown discount. Maybe having 47 mouths to feed has something to do with that.

kleck screw this mouth to feed sh*t. If he only made 1 mill a year he could comfortably feed every freakin mouth in his stable have lucrative collge funds set up and give them all a great life. Dont want to hear about his 47 kids to be honest.

Archived