Who's never played fantasy football and why?

JoeC36

Never got into the internet leagues or anything like that.

Seven friends and I started a fantasy football league 28 years ago, when we were sophomores in high school. We used to have to get the Monday, and sometimes even Tuesday newspaper to figure out who had won that week. There was no internet, no 24 hour a day sports highlights. League is still in tact, with only one change in ownership during that time. That change was 20 years ago. Guy who took over the team that folded in 1991 we still call "the new guy", and assign him menial chores and whatnot.

Not about money, (although significant money involved now a days) but about pride...and the annual draft, which takes place in a different US city every year and gives us an excuse to get away from the wives for a few days.

• Upvote 1

It all depends on how you approach it. I get what a lot of you guys here are saying, but for me it's always been a matter of just keeping the priorities straight. A fantasy player's performance will never come before my rooting for the Jets to dominate. I assure you I will be thrilled if the Jets beat the crap out of their opposition and it comes at the expense of one of the guys on my fantasy team.

Besides, I always felt like it's something that helps to feed that addiction for NFL action, as well as give an excuse to follow not just the Jets, but the league that much more closely, which I enjoy doing anyway. It's kind of circular logic, but in the end it works for me. Plus it's always fun to have another way to beat friends at something and take their money. :-P

It all depends on how you approach it. I get what a lot of you guys here are saying, but for me it's always been a matter of just keeping the priorities straight. A fantasy player's performance will never come before my rooting for the Jets to dominate. I assure you I will be thrilled if the Jets beat the crap out of their opposition and it comes at the expense of one of the guys on my fantasy team.

Besides, I always felt like it's something that helps to feed that addiction for NFL action, as well as give an excuse to follow not just the Jets, but the league that much more closely, which I enjoy doing anyway. It's kind of circular logic, but in the end it works for me. Plus it's always fun to have another way to beat friends at something and take their money. :-P

This. Remember the Steelers game? The guy I was playing had the Jets D/Special Teams in a money league, and I ultimately lost by a couple points (safety and opening TD alone did me in). Couldn't have been happier. New York Jets >>>>>>>> Fantasy Football.

This. Remember the Steelers game? The guy I was playing had the Jets D/Special Teams in a money league, and I ultimately lost by a couple points (safety and opening TD alone did me in). Couldn't have been happier. New York Jets >>>>>>>> Fantasy Football.

The funny thing is that's why that except for extreme circumstances where it's just too good to pass up, I avoid Jets players like the plague. Last thing I need is a bad game from the Jets ruining my week twice. If the Jets are kicking a$$ and it happens to help my opponent out, I think I can handle that. :-P

Seven friends and I started a fantasy football league 28 years ago, when we were sophomores in high school. We used to have to get the Monday, and sometimes even Tuesday newspaper to figure out who had won that week. There was no internet, no 24 hour a day sports highlights. League is still in tact, with only one change in ownership during that time.

Our first (and still current, albeit with a little more turnover) league was (roto) baseball. After a few years of my friend and I hand calculating the stats, I jumped into the 20th Century by learning how to use Lotus 1-2-3 (for DOS).

The funny thing is that's why that except for extreme circumstances where it's just too good to pass up, I avoid Jets players like the plague. Last thing I need is a bad game from the Jets ruining my week twice. If the Jets are kicking a$$ and it happens to help my opponent out, I think I can handle that. :-P

I refuse to draft Jets, starting with last years drafts. I've drafted 3 "high profile" Jets, ever. Chad the year he got hurt in the preseason, and the year he tore his rotator cuff against Buffalo I think it was...and Curtis the year he finally got too hurt. I also drafted Braylon year before last and he got dealt to the Jets, so it technically didn't count but he was awful that year.

Same reason I don't buy current players jerseys anymore...they get dealt and/or hurt. I'll stick with the Jet-greats such as Namath.

I refuse to draft Jets, starting with last years drafts. I've drafted 3 "high profile" Jets, ever. Chad the year he got hurt in the preseason, and the year he tore his rotator cuff against Buffalo I think it was...and Curtis the year he finally got too hurt. I also drafted Braylon year before last and he got dealt to the Jets, so it technically didn't count but he was awful that year.

Same reason I don't buy current players jerseys anymore...they get dealt and/or hurt. I'll stick with the Jet-greats such as Namath.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had CMart in 05 as well, other than that I think I've only ever had a few guys here and there as backup players, like Coles and Cotchery. And I definitely hear you on the jerseys. While I couldn't help myself from getting a Sanchez jersey, I had pretty much otherwise given up on current players given how badly it went. To think I was once a guy who actually bought a Pennington jersey, oh how things have changed. It now is hidden somewhere in a drawer along with Coles, Vilma, Rhodes and who the hell knows who else. I didn't get Martin's for a long time, but finally did once I figured that even when he was done it was jersey that could still certainly be worn without issue, and as it turned out he didn't last much longer after that.

I've given it a try and gave up. I don't gamble in general, and it wasn't fun for me to root for players on teams that I'd prefer to root against.

Me too. I dont gamble. As for fantasy football, I've never been into the stats that much to be able to even be good at it. All I care about is if the Jets win or lose.

I dont care if Greene ran for 100+ simply because I drafted him on my fantasy team...though it'll be nice. :D

Yeah, drafting Jets players is stupid. You typically want to draft from teams who actually score points.

i entered a league 2 eyars ago to fill it out for friends... It was ok, but I'm competitive and ended up spending way to much time on it.. more time then I did on pickig games, even though the pot was miniscule... haven't done it since

I've played for 15 years or so. Totally hooked... it has increased my awareness of the game beyond just the Jets. Certainly has helped me see things without bias when I am in Jet Fan mindset.

I keep playing because I win.

I played 3 cash leagues last year, won 2, runner up in the 3rd. I also won the JI Hampur league with Tim Tebow as my QB, lol. I netted about $2,200 on the season.

I won 1 championship the year before, and made the playoffs in my 2 other league and came in at $1,700.

I've wont at least one championship each year I've played. Never play in more than 4 leagues per year, and even won the championship in my XFL fantasy football league. Tommy Maddox and John Avery ftw. Heh.

I keep my fantasy and my Jets totally separate. Never draft with my heart. Love playing.

I've played for 15 years or so. Totally hooked... it has increased my awareness of the game beyond just the Jets. Certainly has helped me see things without bias when I am in Jet Fan mindset.

I keep playing because I win.

I played 3 cash leagues last year, won 2, runner up in the 3rd. I also won the JI Hampur league with Tim Tebow as my QB, lol. I netted about $2,200 on the season.

I won 1 championship the year before, and made the playoffs in my 2 other league and came in at $1,700.

I've wont at least one championship each year I've played. Never play in more than 4 leagues per year, and even won the championship in my XFL fantasy football league. Tommy Maddox and John Avery ftw. Heh.

I keep my fantasy and my Jets totally separate. Never draft with my heart. Love playing.

The cage is a lonely place...