NFL owners still expect to vote on contract this afternoon

faba

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the owners got bent over by D Smith?

Hmm, why would he want to wait when he took the owners to the cleaners?

Apparently, the owners slipped some articles into their version of the contract that were never discussed with the PA. The PA needs time to review what those articles are, as this CBA is locked in for ten years with no opt-out. At the end of the day, Smith and the players will sign a deal that loses them roughly 4% of all revenue, but otherwise satisfies every demand they've made. No 18 game season, 47.5 share (vs. 41%), no $2B off the top, shorter practices, lifetime health care, rookie scale w/cap minimum, alumni care funded, etc. The owners locked the players out to gain 4%, tops. Genius work by them.

Heath Evans is ranting on ESPN that the owners included many things the players had never agreed to--annuities, 401K, are all I heard--stuff he said may not be a big deal for the owners but definitely are for the players.

One of the writers was saying that it's more a case of simply reading what was put in and moving things like annuity around a few percentage points. Nothing extreme or back-breaking.

Guest Jpf4671

The more this plays out I feel like it's probably not much different than past lock outs or strikes in the NFL,MLB,or NBA....this is just the first one covered in the Twitter Facebook reality tv mindset,....deal will get done this weekend

Apparently, the owners slipped some articles into their version of the contract that were never discussed with the PA. The PA needs time to review what those articles are, as this CBA is locked in for ten years with no opt-out. At the end of the day, Smith and the players will sign a deal that loses them roughly 4% of all revenue, but otherwise satisfies every demand they've made. No 18 game season, 47.5 share (vs. 41%), no $2B off the top, shorter practices, lifetime health care, rookie scale w/cap minimum, alumni care funded, etc. The owners locked the players out to gain 4%, tops. Genius work by them.

The underrated giveback on the players' part is judicial oversight. That one's gonna hurt.

Guest Jpf4671

Dante Stallworth on espn right now,.I guess Leonard Little and OJ were busy, .anyway he says there's things that the players need that aren't in the deal, Wingo asks him, "like what"? Stalworths response is"hmmmmm good question I'm not sure" frigging priceless

I would have to think its more than 4%. The effectively rolled back the salary structure to 2008 levels. In 2008 the total league salary (cap plus benefits) was 138.65 million. I dont have the official 2009 numbers, but based on prior growth they would have been around 147 million and then 155 in 2010. 2011, at a minimum, would have been 160. So the players essentially lost 20 million off the old deal or around 11%. They did get more promises on cash spending, but I think its probably more relevant in year 1 and 2 than at any other time (99% in cash on a leaguewide basis), at which point they go into 3 year systems, which I had heard before when all the guys were going wild about per team spending on a yearly basis. I dont think thats much of a raise on the old deal since so many teams spend tons of cash every year. The 18 games is simply tabled for a few years at which point the league is going to hope that a younger group of players, who have grown up on the NFL and NFL Network, will simply fold on the 18 game deal.

What I found most interesting in the agreement was the split between revenue streams. The players get the lions share of tv rights money, but only 45% of the big growing stream of the Red Zone Channel, Sunday Ticket (and this split tells me the owners are going to want to expand beyond Direct TV whenever that deal comes up again) , NFL Network, and their internet stuff. The owners have the option to divert more and more programming to these outlets, specifically the NFL Network, to keep added money if they want. Only 40% of local revenue goes to the players, which sounds like more of a nod to the small market owners who do not want the big money making stadiums to hurt their salary figures as much.

I would have to think its more than 4%. The effectively rolled back the salary structure to 2008 levels. In 2008 the total league salary (cap plus benefits) was 138.65 million. I dont have the official 2009 numbers, but based on prior growth they would have been around 147 million and then 155 in 2010. 2011, at a minimum, would have been 160. So the players essentially lost 20 million off the old deal or around 11%. They did get more promises on cash spending, but I think its probably more relevant in year 1 and 2 than at any other time (99% in cash on a leaguewide basis), at which point they go into 3 year systems, which I had heard before when all the guys were going wild about per team spending on a yearly basis. I dont think thats much of a raise on the old deal since so many teams spend tons of cash every year. The 18 games is simply tabled for a few years at which point the league is going to hope that a younger group of players, who have grown up on the NFL and NFL Network, will simply fold on the 18 game deal.

What I found most interesting in the agreement was the split between revenue streams. The players get the lions share of tv rights money, but only 45% of the big growing stream of the Red Zone Channel, Sunday Ticket (and this split tells me the owners are going to want to expand beyond Direct TV whenever that deal comes up again) , NFL Network, and their internet stuff. The owners have the option to divert more and more programming to these outlets, specifically the NFL Network, to keep added money if they want. Only 40% of local revenue goes to the players, which sounds like more of a nod to the small market owners who do not want the big money making stadiums to hurt their salary figures as much.

Holy detailed breakdown. That's great info I hadn't seen. I got the 4% number by taking the old players' cut (53%) minus $1B off the top and subtracting the alleged new cut (47.5) with nothing off the top.

Also, thanks for clarifying the small market situation. I couldnt for the life of me understand how Weaver, Wilson, Brown, etc would actually vote to ratify so eagerly.

Early reports: PA has the new proposal in hand, it's not that bad, hysteria caused by nitwit players tweeting out of ignorance and Herm Edwards, expected to vote on it this afternoon. Bottom line: Herm is a ******* moron.

I aint givin no hometown discount?

I aint givin no hometown discount?

One thing I've learned the past few days: If you put all the NFL players all back into one high school, Antonio Cromartie would be an Honors student, relatively speaking. I'm still not sure what language Mo Wilkerson types in.

One thing I've learned the past few days: If you put all the NFL players all back into one high school, Antonio Cromartie would be an Honors student, relatively speaking. I'm still not sure what language Mo Wilkerson types in.

scary thought.

Early reports: PA has the new proposal in hand, it's not that bad, hysteria caused by nitwit players tweeting out of ignorance and Herm Edwards, expected to vote on it this afternoon. Bottom line: Herm is a ******* moron.

And if there's any group of people who are less shocked about this "breaking news" than anyone else, it's certainly Jets fans.

Gotta be f'ing kidding me.

With NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith attending funeral services for Myra Kraft, the wife of Patriots owner Robert Kraft, NFLPA* president Kevin Mawae has issued a statement regarding the status of the talk.

“Player leadership is discussing the most recent written proposal with the NFL, which includes a settlement agreement, deal terms and the right process for addressing recertification,” the statement from Mawae reads. “There will not be any further NFLPA statements today out of respect for the Kraft family while they mourn the loss of Myra Kraft.” It’s possible that a vote on the proposed deal will come today, but not likely. NFLPA* leadership remains cautiously optimistic that a deal will be finalized soon. The key at this point will be for the NFL to respect the players’ chosen method of reconstituting the union.

With all these posts about Nnamdi and every other FA....does everyone realize how ugly this CBA has gotten?

Mawae is poison....things are not going well.

Mawae is full of sh*t and is less important in the room than the chick pouring coffee. This is all about Smith and Kessler on the phone with Goodell. Using Myra Kraft's funeral as an excuse to keep the nitwits from texting their favorite beat writer is gross, but smart.

oh man....

NFLPA* issues warning on website that’s trying to reconstitute a union

Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT

In the opinion of NFLPA* lawyer Jeffrey Kessler, it can take as long as two weeks to reconstitute the union. In the opinion of NFL lawyer Bob Batterman, it can take as few as two hours.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, much closer to two hours than 312.

But someone out there is trying to take matters into their own hands, setting up a website aimed at harvesting signatures for the reconstitution of a union. And the NFLPA* is scrambling to keep players from using it.

The NFLPA* has sent the following e-mail to all agents: “We have received information from players indicating that they are being referred to a website – nflvr.com. The website is asking players to vote to reconstitute as a union and that the players can use the site to facilitate that action. Please be advised that this site is not affiliated with either the NFL or the NFLPA. You should ignore this site and advise your players to do so as well.”

Based on available online information, the site was created on Thursday by Austin Jordan of Roanoke, Virginia.

The fact that the NFLPA* felt compelled to point out the existence of the site — and to encourage players not to use it — suggests that the NFLPA* had reason to believe that players were thinking about using it. (Or maybe were actually using it.)

The truth is that, if 50 percent of the players plus one vote to create a union, they’ll be a union. It doesn’t matter whether the NFLPA* organizes it; anyone can. (Indeed, there was talk back in April and May of a group of free agents trying to unionize separate and apart from the NFL.)

It’ll be interesting to see whether there are any players out there who want to push this thing along — and who perhaps feel that the NFLPA* Executive Committee and board of player representatives are keeping them from voting on the final proposal — will register.

Mawae is full of sh*t and is less important in the room than the chick pouring coffee. This is all about Smith and Kessler on the phone with Goodell. Using Myra Kraft's funeral as an excuse to keep the nitwits from texting their favorite beat writer is gross, but smart.

What makes you say that- isn't he the lead player rep?

It seems Smith is done at this point, no? It seems he's ready to go....but then we have Mawae saying "well, were in no rush here..."

The stupid part of this delay is Smith, and the other NFLPA lawyers have already given unofficial consent to this deal. Otherwise the owners wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of arguing amongst themselves about it, and just have it shot down by the players.

The players themselves don't know what all these profit split formulas really mean anymore then we do. With the exception of Jason that is, but the lawyers, and Mawae, have to make believe that the players really have anything to say about what they just negotiated for them. Some would squawk even if they got 98%. Just to talk. The rest will sign off on it because they hope the guys they are paying have done a good job.

The thing about Mrs Kraft is just silly. Most of the players don't know anything more about Mrs Kraft then Mrs Kraft knew about a third string guards wife who played for the Cowboys.

Oh well, it'll get done the lawyers just have to run a few victory laps first.

What makes you say that- isn't he the lead player rep?

It seems Smith is done at this point, no? It seems he's ready to go....but then we have Mawae saying "well, were in no rush here..."

Mawae is in the background chirping, but he's not an active part of the negotiations other than screaming about the sky falling every few hours. This is all about the lawyers right now. Mawae should worry about keeping his players calm and informed instead of letting them go into interviews sounding like they don't even know what "CBA" stands for. Instead, he's looking to get himself in front of the cameras.

Mawae is in the background chirping, but he's not an active part of the negotiations other than screaming about the sky falling every few hours. This is all about the lawyers right now. Mawae should worry about keeping his players calm and informed instead of letting them go into interviews sounding like they don't even know what "CBA" stands for. Instead, he's looking to get himself in front of the cameras.

This is Mawaes last chance to gripe at the owners and be a focus of anything for the forseeable future. Hes not an active player anymore and complained that he was blackballed because of his union position last year. So I think he feels this is his chance to get to rattle the owners for a bit.

This is Mawaes last chance to gripe at the owners and be a focus of anything for the forseeable future. Hes not an active player anymore and complained that he was blackballed because of his union position last year. So I think he feels this is his chance to get to rattle the owners for a bit.

How does Mawae get to be a part of these negotiations considering his situation?

Ugh. Big holdup is the players want an opt-out clause after seven years. That's gonna get messy.

They'll all be retired or close to it by then, why do they give a flying ****? And is there really anyone who seriously thinks that's a good idea considering how the last opt-out clause went?

Archived