Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we sign Assmooha cant we resign Braylon at a lower cost, especially now that he plead guilty to DWI, it should drop his asking price even more. I'd let Santonio & Cro kick rocks

Rex loves cornerbacks way more than he loves Wide Receivers.

I certainly agree that Rex loves himself some CB's, but think about it - no one's gonna love CB's that much without having a tremendous amount of respect for WR's. As much of a defensive coach that he is, he still has complete and total understanding that the NFL is a QB driven league, and that his QB has to be successful for his team to be successful.

Rex also loves Holmes. He's the #1 priority.

I quoted the wrong post, meant to quote ECurb stating Nnamdi would play for Cro money (12m a year) as long as he got the "courtesy" of being paid Cro level money for an extra couple years. That's like saying "yes, please underpay me, and you know what why don't you go ahead and underpay me for a couple extra years because I'm such a nice guy". :blink:

When Nnamdi was the only CB getting anything over 16m it was considered a ludicrous contract given by a senile old man. When Revis got it, it then legitimized the amount for the top tier CB's. Nnamdi won't sign for a dime less than 15 a year, probably even more.

No he would take that deal to lockup money for a longer term...

5 years x $12mil avg = 60 million

3 years x $15mil avg = 45 million

He is nearing 30... he is going to want a long contract to hedge against diminishing ability and injuries...

It sounds like we will have 22 million to spend....

13 on aso

7 on Braylon

You won't need Ellis anymore

Everyone says aso will get 15 I think he'd take 2 million less if he wants to be here

Plus in the CBA can't you borrow 3 million from another year so maybe we can 5 million between the picks and Eric smith or just use that extra 3 to sweeten the pot for aso

Then I guess you divide 2 million between the draft picks and Eric smith?

True, and in Tampa he'd get to play across from Aqib Talib, who's no slouch himself. It's all a matter of how much playing for a potential winner is to Aso, and whether or not other successful teams offer more than we could. Its a longshot, but its fun to dream.

Talib will be cut as soon as the league year opens

No he would take that deal to lockup money for a longer term...

5 years x $12mil avg = 60 million

3 years x $15mil avg = 45 million

He is nearing 30... he is going to want a long contract to hedge against diminishing ability and injuries...

Again, I respectfully disagree. He's going to get a ridiculously frontloaded contract with a huge signing bonus that will average him 16 mil for the first 3 years, and then likely some absurd salary amount in year 4 or 5 that either forces him to renegotiate or get cut/traded. Even if the contract avg's 12 mil as you say, the up front avg won't be anywhere near that. He's going to get money somewhere just below or just above Revis' figure, and it won't be from us.

A more realistic scenario, 3 years at 15-16=45-48 mil. Then sign another contract at a diminished price of say around 10-12. That equals 65-70mil over 5 years. He's not going to take a contract that's anywhere comparable to Cromartie.

My only concern is that Aso's agent is floating this to scare another AFC East team into breaking the bank for him. If the Dolphins or Pats think that Aso would take a little less to play with Revis and for Rex, how much would they be willing to pay just to make sure that doesn't happen?

Again, I respectfully disagree. He's going to get a ridiculously frontloaded contract with a huge signing bonus that will average him 16 mil for the first 3 years, and then likely some absurd salary amount in year 4 or 5 that either forces him to renegotiate or get cut/traded. Even if the contract avg's 12 mil as you say, the up front avg won't be anywhere near that. He's going to get money somewhere just below or just above Revis' figure, and it won't be from us.

A more realistic scenario, 3 years at 15-16=45-48 mil. Then sign another contract at a diminished price of say around 10-12. That equals 65-70mil over 5 years. He's not going to take a contract that's anywhere comparable to Cromartie.

No way he gets 10-12 million in a new contract at 33 years old.

He is 30... he wants a retirement deal.

Not interested.. Way to much money tied up at CB = weaknesses everywhere else.. And we'll still get chewed up by hb, te's and slot recievers cause most of our lb's are slow as sh*t.. nevermind that our offenses will be awful and we'll be risking regressing our young QB with no tools..

If Rex is as good as you all think he is, he shouldn't need two HF types at CB to field a great defense..

Not interested.. Way to much money tied up at CB = weaknesses everywhere else.. And we'll still get chewed up by hb, te's and slot recievers cause most of our lb's are slow as sh*t.. nevermind that our offenses will be awful and we'll be risking regressing our young QB with no tools..

If Rex is as good as you all think he is, he shouldn't need two HF types at CB to field a great defense..

This is my take.

Last two drafts have leaned defense up top. I think the FA priority needs to be on the offensive side of the ball. Defense has been ahead of the offense around here since Ken O'Brien retired. They need to at least try to have the offense keep pace. Throwing the kind of money at Aso that it would take to sign him isn't good for the team overall, IMHO.

And we'll still get chewed up by hb, te's and slot recievers cause most of our lb's are slow as sh*t..

Outside of the 2nd New England game and the 1st half of the AFCG, nobody chews up anything on this defense, no matter how slow you think our LB'ers are.

Aso would make this defense ridiculous. Even with BE and Holmes, Sanchez was still the mush. So whats the difference? While I like both of those guys a lot, neither are out of this world talents that cant be replaced...maybe Holmes, but BE is highly replaceable.

We need better pass rushers.

Namdi and Revis would turn ordinary (Passrushing) DL and LB into pass rushers :) . Coverage sacks FTW.

Seriously if he wants to play for the Jets I think its very possible to get him in here for money we might have paid to Cro. The guy has money and I think he would take less to come here maybe some of that unselfishness will rub off on Revis, would be the ideal scenario. Ship Holmes the hell out of here Sign Braylon and make it happen.

No way he gets 10-12 million in a new contract at 33 years old.

He is 30... he wants a retirement deal.

It's his last big contract. He ain't leaving a penny on the table. Also, vets are going to be limited to 4-year deals, I believe.

Have you actually heard something about this Dogg? or are you just making a general statement about the state of incompetence of TB's FO?

I wouldn't mind Talib at all

I haven't seen anything definitive, but there have been a number of reports after yet another of many legal issues (the most recent being an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge), there's a strong possibility that TB finally has had enough and are considering booting his a$$ to the curb. Honestly, he might be more of a problem than even Rex and Tanny are willing to deal with.

FTR, I think Aso would highly consider TB. They are going in the right direction. I predict Josh Freeman having an MVP type year and TB pushing the Saints for the division. That team is stacked with talent and had a very good draft.

Namdi and Revis would turn ordinary (Passrushing) DL and LB into pass rushers :) . Coverage sacks FTW.

Seriously if he wants to play for the Jets I think its very possible to get him in here for money we might have paid to Cro. The guy has money and I think he would take less to come here maybe some of that unselfishness will rub off on Revis, would be the ideal scenario. Ship Holmes the hell out of here Sign Braylon and make it happen.

Coverage sacks are really really overrated. You can't have 2 CB's making 18 million a year and no good pass rushers. Thats a great way to be a really soft D.

FTR, I think Aso would highly consider TB. They are going in the right direction. I predict Josh Freeman having an MVP type year and TB pushing the Saints for the division. That team is stacked with talent and had a very good draft.

Your hate for Sanchez is clouding your posts.

Coverage sacks are really really overrated. You can't have 2 CB's making 18 million a year and no good pass rushers. Thats a great way to be a really soft D.

Yeah its not like they just went out and drafted two Dline players and have one coming off IR.

I haven't seen anything definitive, but there have been a number of reports after yet another of many legal issues (the most recent being an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge), there's a strong possibility that TB finally has had enough and are considering booting his a$$ to the curb. Honestly, he might be more of a problem than even Rex and Tanny are willing to deal with.

Thanks BG

Just checked http://beta2.tbo.com/sports/sports/2011/mar/29/felony-arrest-warrants-issued-for-bucs-aqib-talib--ar-200477/

Your right the kid is in deep shyt. Pistol whipped a guy then shot at him. He might be playing flag on the prison team. Shame.

I don't know what it will be but I strongly suspect the Mike T is going to throw everyone a curve ball, and take a major risk on a high end player no one expected.

Doubt it's Talib though

Don't forget they are 60 million under the cap, I am going to put some $$$$$ on them to win the whole thing before FA opens up.

if you have the opportunity to bring in asomougha you bring in asomougha, you dont turn down a top 10 defender for solid players with troublesome tendancies, what if u resign holmes and then hes out for 8 games for doin some stupid sh*t... especially when u can still retain one of them

realistically this team was never intended to score 28 points a game, its a ball control team, we don't need two #1 recievers, but a damn good defense could use two #1 corners

if he takes a pay cut of course...

I think Tampa fans would be pleased if Freeman actually beat a team with a winning record for a change.

Freeman=Pennington

/realtalk

without those big FA they have like 20+ mil in cap room.

Source?

The reports I've read are that the Jets, right now (without any of the URFA's) are over the Cap by a few million. Where are we gaining cap room by not signing guys (the URFA's) that are already not on our cap number for 2011 if they're not re-signed?

Archived