Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How? Freeman >>>> Sanchez

Its not close.

Even if we assume that as a truth, you're touting his upcoming MVP season and future HOF status while Klecko is comparing him to a noodle armed china doll, essentially taking two equally absurd extremes. Call me crazy, but I'm thinking that neither of you are anywhere close to the reality, and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Again, I respectfully disagree. He's going to get a ridiculously frontloaded contract with a huge signing bonus that will average him 16 mil for the first 3 years, and then likely some absurd salary amount in year 4 or 5 that either forces him to renegotiate or get cut/traded. Even if the contract avg's 12 mil as you say, the up front avg won't be anywhere near that. He's going to get money somewhere just below or just above Revis' figure, and it won't be from us.

A more realistic scenario, 3 years at 15-16=45-48 mil. Then sign another contract at a diminished price of say around 10-12. That equals 65-70mil over 5 years. He's not going to take a contract that's anywhere comparable to Cromartie.

If they don't deal Kolb for A-Cro, Laurie will be all over this it's his style.

It simply can not happen. They don't have the money, and you can not invest that much money in your two CBs, unless you have no other weaknesses, which the Jets certainly will have after they lose BE or Holmes, or both. It is nice to dream. One thing is for sure. They would have the best pair of CBs in history. Not even close. Michael Haynes and Lester Hayes were the best combo to date. Revis and Aso are already among the top 5 CBs to ever play in the NFL.

All things considered, I find it hard to believe that Nnamdi WOULDN'T take a discount to play here.

Why else would he mention us as his preferred team to play for otherwise?

I mean, the guy isn't stupid. He has to have at least somewhat of an idea of what our cap situation is. I'm pretty sure he knows that guys like Holmes, Braylon, and Cromartie are up for new deals.

If it came down to him signing a deal with us for $10-12 million a year versus signing with a team like Houston for $14-15 million per, I think he would be inclined to sign with us to play alongside his good friend and form maybe the greatest CB tandem in history.

Not to mention we're a lot closer to a Superbowl than a team like the Texans. That team needs to worry about making the playoffs for the first time in the history of their franchise before they start thinking Superbowl.

Nnamdi has already made a sh*tload of cash in his career. I imagine the guy wants a championship more than anything considering he's never even experienced a winning season in his entire professional career.

It's not like he'd be making peanuts playing here either.

All things considered, I find it hard to believe that Nnamdi WOULDN'T take a discount to play here.

I mean, the guy isn't stupid. He has to have at least somewhat of an idea of what our cap situation is. I'm pretty sure he knows that guys like Holmes, Braylon, and Cromartie are up for new deals.

If it came down to him signing a deal with us for $10-12 million a year versus signing with a team like Houston for $14-15 million per, I think he would be inclined to sign with us to play alongside his good friend and form maybe the greatest CB tandem in history.

Not to mention we're a lot closer to a Superbowl than a team like the Texans. That team needs to worry about making the playoffs for the first time in the history of their franchise before they start thinking Superbowl.

Nnamdi has already made a sh*tload of cash in his career. I imagine the guy wants a championship more than anything considering he's never even experienced a winning season in his entire professional career.

there are 2 teams in the leauge that can boast that they have 10 defenders on a possible 4 ball movers(receivers and rushers)the jets(revis)& the raiders(nnamdi)all other teams are faced with 11 defenders against 5 ball movers.if the jets sign nnamdi,they face 9 defenders against 3 ball movers.how is that not the bigest advantage in football except for having manning as your qb?9 against 3?

I would like to hear more about the benefits of having two shutdown corners. I get that they take a receiver out of the game. Ok. What if you are facing a run team? A great linebacker can be a threat in the passing game (rushing) or the running game (shutting it down). How can a DB do anything more than take one guy out of the game? What if you are playing a team with scrub receivers?

Well put.

Also let's not forget the business and endorsement opportunities in NY vs other markets... I am sure his actual value to come to NY is boosted quite a bit by that.

I would like to hear more about the benefits of having two shutdown corners. I get that they take a receiver out of the game. Ok. What if you are facing a run team? A great linebacker can be a threat in the passing game (rushing) or the running game (shutting it down). How can a DB do anything more than take one guy out of the game? What if you are playing a team with scrub receivers?

The NFL is a passing league. The Colts get 75% of their yards thru the air. The Chargers? 71%. The Pats? 66%. Even a rush heavy/passing deficient team like the Jets still produces 57% of their offensive yardage thru the passing game. If you can eliminate a team's top two receiving threats, you should be able to limit what they do offensively overall.

All that said, I'm not in favor of this move at all. :lol: Problem is that all those prolific offenses either have TE's, slot receivers, or both, that provide a large portion of their passing game totals. Having a Revis is a huge benefit, because he can cover the elite WR's on his own, while most teams have to dedicate two defenders to the Andre Johnsons of the world. But really, having a second elite CB covering the Kevin Walters of the world is a waste. Defensively, that money is better spent on pass rushers who disrupt the entire passing game at it's head, or safeties who can play zones and counter dominant TE's or break annoying slot guys.

Or spend it on the offense. After all, the best defense is a good offense. An offense that controls the clock and scores a lot of points will help the defense do their job better than a second elite CB ever could.

Teams would still be able to pass on us. There are such things as slot receivers and TE's. The jets have struggled for nearly a decade guarding TE's because the linebackers are slow as hell. Vilma was the only decent cover LB that we have had in a while. Scott is not bad but long in the tooth, Harris is similar to Hobson, Barton and any other shmuck when it comes to pass defense. Don't get me wrong, Harris is an amazing player but I wouldn't trust him guarding the pass against a college squad.

Getting Nnamdi would be great and would match up great against a few teams but there aren't many teams that have two amazing receivers that would warrant coverage from two amazing CB's. I'd rather get a good cover backer, in place of Thomas or to spell Scott/Harris from time to time than a big time CB.

JMO.

Well put.

Also let's not forget the business and endorsement opportunities in NY vs other markets... I am sure his actual value to come to NY is boosted quite a bit by that.

Like all those Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes commercials we see on the air?

Like all those Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes commercials we see on the air?

Big different... Aso is smart and a good guy... those two are on probation and continue to get in trouble...

Aso would get gigs just like Revis has been...

Teams would still be able to pass on us. There are such things as slot receivers and TE's. The jets have struggled for nearly a decade guarding TE's because the linebackers are slow as hell. Vilma was the only decent cover LB that we have had in a while. Scott is not bad but long in the tooth, Harris is similar to Hobson, Barton and any other shmuck when it comes to pass defense. Don't get me wrong, Harris is an amazing player but I wouldn't trust him guarding the pass against a college squad.

Getting Nnamdi would be great and would match up great against a few teams but there aren't many teams that have two amazing receivers that would warrant coverage from two amazing CB's. I'd rather get a good cover backer, in place of Thomas or to spell Scott/Harris from time to time than a big time CB.

JMO.

Wouldn't you rather have Wilson on a number 3 receiver than a number 2? TE's are going to be a pain anyway, and we aren't going to solve that problem this year anyway

JMO.

This is precisely why most of the best defenses prioritize pass rushers over the secondary. I know BB cheated, but he would throw in WRs on defense in his secondary and still win SBs because the secondary is so much less important. You give a great QB enough time and he'll find somebody, hence why Peyton Manning routinely destroys Rex Ryan defenses. As long as Peyton has a 3WR or 4 WR that can still catch the ball, he'll find them. We finally managed a win against him last year partly because his 3 and 4 WRs were out injured iirc, so he was stuck with 5s and 6s and no TE haha.

aside from a few games,the jets can stop the run.

Wouldn't you rather have Wilson on a number 3 receiver than a number 2? TE's are going to be a pain anyway, and we aren't going to solve that problem this year anyway

There just aren't enough teams out there with two elite WR's to warrant the Jets spending on two elite CB's. It's a waste of resources that could be put to better use elsewhere.

I'd rather have an elite WR than a second elite CB.

Or an elite pass rusher.

Or an elite safety.

Or a couple decent pass rushers.

Or a a starting safety and a nice third or fourth CB.

Or an elite TE and maybe a little OL depth on the side.

Or etc., etc., etc.

The more I think about Nnamdi to the Jets, the less I like it.

There just aren't enough teams out there with two elite WR's to warrant the Jets spending on two elite CB's. It's a waste of resources that could be put to better use elsewhere.

I'd rather have an elite WR than a second elite CB. So sign Braylon and the CB

Or an elite pass rusher. Who?

Or an elite safety. Who?

Or a couple decent pass rushers. Who?

Or a a starting safety and a nice third or fourth CB. Who?

Or an elite TE and maybe a little OL depth on the side. Who?

Or etc., etc., etc. Who?

I want a superstar team too... but Aso is a real option not a half baked theory.

As usual we are fighting about nothing. To say you aren't in favor of this is silly. You'd rather have a worse CB? It boils down to the money. How much more will Aso demand than the vet CB we are expecting to bring in? We may be very well be much better off with Aso and one of Holmes/Edwards + whatever sh*tty WR we can afford than with Cromartie, Holmes and Edwards. The Jets have weapons on O. They need at least 1 WR, but they will have Cotchery, Keller and some backs that can catch. I'd much rather have an inconsistent wild card (McKnight? Cumberland?) on O than on D.

Obviously 2 great CBs helps the run D because the Jets can sell out to stop the run. S can roll up to stop the run and can be dedicated to stopping the slot WR, TE and RB. The Jets have converted DEs at OLB and big ILBs that can't cover. They need S help. It's much better if the S doesn't have to help on the #2 WR. With this guy they may even be able to let Revis blitz a few times. I'm sure he'd be killing QBs if they didn't need to have him back all the time.

It's all about the money. They have to check it out and make a decision.

I'd rather have an elite WR than a second elite CB.

Or an elite pass rusher.

Or an elite safety.

Or a couple decent pass rushers.

Or a a starting safety and a nice third or fourth CB.

Or an elite TE and maybe a little OL depth on the side.

Or etc., etc., etc.

Word... first reaction was SuperUnit! But after about 5 second's you start realizing how it isn't such a great idea. If this were baseball and we were the Yankees.. cool.. Not in a capped league though. SPecially after last years #1 was a CB too

I want a superstar team too... but Aso is a real option not a half baked theory.

That post was supposed to demonstrate that the money that would be spent on a second elite CB would be better spent anywhere else. Spreading it out amongst 12 backups would be a plan.

Point_over_your_head.jpg

As usual we are fighting about nothing. To say you aren't in favor of this is silly. You'd rather have a worse CB? It boils down to the money. How much more will Aso demand than the vet CB we are expecting to bring in? We may be very well be much better off with Aso and one of Holmes/Edwards + whatever sh*tty WR we can afford than with Cromartie, Holmes and Edwards. The Jets have weapons on O. They need at least 1 WR, but they will have Cotchery, Keller and some backs that can catch. I'd much rather have an inconsistent wild card (McKnight? Cumberland?) on O than on D.

Obviously 2 great CBs helps the run D because the Jets can sell out to stop the run. S can roll up to stop the run and can be dedicated to stopping the slot WR, TE and RB. The Jets have converted DEs at OLB and big ILBs that can't cover. They need S help. It's much better if the S doesn't have to help on the #2 WR. With this guy they may even be able to let Revis blitz a few times. I'm sure he'd be killing QBs if they didn't need to have him back all the time.

It's all about the money. They have to check it out and make a decision.

it is all about the money.the jets need to sign a corner any which way you look at it.cro is an option as is a few other guys.nnamdi's contract will set the tone for the rest.after that,the others wont make as much as nnamdi,but i doubt the figures will be way off.i would rather pay nnamdi 12m than any other guy at $10m.pay a little more and get twice the player.a guy like cro hurts the teams run defense.a guy like nnamdi makes it better.or the jets sign a mid level guy and have some extra cash for a receiver

it is all about the money.the jets need to sign a corner any which way you look at it.cro is an option as is a few other guys.nnamdi's contract will set the tone for the rest.after that,the others wont make as much as nnamdi,but i doubt the figures will be way off.i would rather pay nnamdi 12m than any other guy at $10m.pay a little more and get twice the player.a guy like cro hurts the teams run defense.a guy like nnamdi makes it better.or the jets sign a mid level guy and have some extra cash for a receiver

There's no reason on Earth to have a #2 CB making $10-12M a season. None. Put Kyle Wilson and/or some zone coverage on teams' #2 WR's, and I think Rex and Pettine will ba able to take care of the rest.

The Jets dee would be better served with a few less expensive guys that could help with the slot receivers and TE's that regularly kill them.

The Jets as a whole would be better off (re-?)signing one elite WR for their offense, then bringing in a second elite CB who would be relegated to covering scrubs more than half the time.

Ever since LeBron made 'the decision' it's been the era of the 'big 3,' if you will, in sports. Seems like superstars all across the professional sporting realm are lining up for the opportunity to play with other superstars, Aso and Revis together... I can see the back page of the Post the day Aso signs with us, BEST CORNERBACK TANDEM IN HISTORY

I believe it could happen

Do you guys who are bitching about Aso ever remember how horrible the pass rush was at times last season? It was hard to watch. We have 1 decent pass rusher on the whole team!

and probably still will only have 1.not much available.i can see both sides of the argument.however adding a guy like nnamdi instantly improves the pass rush.1 extra guy can rush the passer.whats better or whats the difference?having an elite pass rusher(nothing available)and a scrub at corner #2 or having an extra lockdown guy enabling 2 average pass rushers after the qb

Archived