Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 wide?i think that would be next to impossible.it is still a 9 against 3 game

The point remains that getting Nnamdi just changes the book on the Jets from spread us out and throw wherever Revis isn't to spread us out and throw wherever Revis and Nnamdi aren't. I think the concept of diminishing returns has been discussed enough in this thread that if you don't get it by now it's either because you're trying not to get it or you're just too dumb.

Pass rush here is a genuine need, not a luxury. If he could get on the field about as often as John Abraham, and be about as productive as John Abraham, he'd be an excellent addition. But obviously, he'd have to be paid in such a way that reflects his difficulties staying on the field.

People in this thread talking about what Rex could do with Aso and Revis (which I really don't think would be much more than he did with Cro), but can you imagine what he and Pettine could unleash with a guy like Kiwi? They could put him anywhere on the field a la Jevon Kearse in his prime. Down lineman, OLB, left, right, or center. It would be a nightmare for opposing offenses.

Pass rush isn't such a need. They haven't had one and the D has been fine. Kiwanuka couldn't carry Abraham's jock. What they could unleash with him is a pass rusher that they move around. The guy isn't not dropping into coverage, so he will just amount to Pace and Thomas will more pass rush ability. They are both MORE versatile than Kiwanuka. Additionally, remember that the Giants have Tuck and Osi and used to have Strahan. Kiwanuka comes to the Jets and other teams will simply chip him with the TE or back. I don't think he is good enough revolutionize our pass rush on his own.

I'm less interested in Cro at $9M than I am in Aso at $12M. Jets do not need a #1 CB at #1 CB money as their #2 CB.

The above is basically my only point in taking the "pro Asomugha" position. I don't think they will get him, I don't think it will be financially feasible, but I think he will make more sense than resigning Cromartie and they WILL be spending CB money this offseason.

Because those two guys aren't infallible and they can still only cover two guys. What happens when a team goes five wide and we don't have the personnel to match up?

You simply don't need someone with Nnamdi's cover skills (and price tag) to cover #2 wideouts. A solid cover corner who can do what Cro can't (play physical bump & run off the line) who costs significantly less would be just as valuable and give the Jets the flexibility to improve other areas that need it as well.

I never heard anybody claim that teams going 5 wide is a reason to sign lesser CBs.

The point remains that getting Nnamdi just changes the book on the Jets from spread us out and throw wherever Revis isn't to spread us out and throw wherever Revis and Nnamdi aren't. I think the concept of diminishing returns has been discussed enough in this thread that if you don't get it by now it's either because you're trying not to get it or you're just too dumb.

because i dont agree with your simple mindedness,i must not be trying to or i am just dumb? watch your phucking tongue.do i insult you?names? no? then stfu with your insults. good thing you are a computer guy,comments like that can land you in the dentist office in real life

Translation: Asomugha wants to play for the Jets, but Houston is making the best offer. If Jets will match the offer, he'll sign there.

Translation: Asomugha's agent knows the Jets can't make a deal, but he's using his players "interest" to drive up the price on Houston.

Translation: Asomugha wants to play for the Jets, but Houston is making the best offer. If Jets will match the offer, he'll sign there.

Yeah I agree. I would love to be completely shocked though and see Aso decide **** the money and that he wants a championship so he comes here cheap. I think thats about as likely as world peace though.

As I said, don't we need someone who can cover a TE more?

I will say though, I think the Jets would be foolish to let this happen. If Aso goes for more than Revis, we're going to have a problem again.

The Jets will be fine this year regardless, considering the guy has an $18 million option bonus due to him. Not even Revis is that much of a greedy a$$hole. I think next year is going to be a problem either way, as he already talked about holding out next year from the moment he signed his contract last year, as it's the first year his pay takes a dip down. Best case scenario he'll play next year and hold out the following year if he doesn't have a new deal by then. That will be the reality of having Revis on this team for as long as he's here.

The Jets will be fine this year regardless, considering the guy has an $18 million option bonus due to him. Not even Revis is that much of a greedy a$$hole. I think next year is going to be a problem either way, as he already talked about holding out next year from the moment he signed his contract last year, as it's the first year his pay takes a dip down. Best case scenario he'll play next year and hold out the following year if he doesn't have a new deal by then. That will be the reality of having Revis on this team for as long as he's here.

They should really never give Revis a signing bonus and just give him really big non-guaranteed yearly salaries. Revis obviously doesn't want lower salaries and conveniently forgets that he got a signing bonus.

Of course Revis was worthless last year, so really the only way you can get any use out of him is if he has a big salary but then the threat of being cut as well. And even then who knows.

I can't believe there are still such huge Revis fans out there. The guy was seriously garbage last year.

I can't believe there are still such huge Revis fans out there. The guy was seriously garbage last year.

:lol:

I was pissed he held out, but when he wasn't injured he played just as good as ever. You can't honestly say you watched each game and that revis played bad.

:lol:

I was pissed he held out, but when he wasn't injured he played just as good as ever. You can't honestly say you watched each game and that revis played bad.

He definitely started the season out like crap (both pre-injury and first few games upon his return from injury), but certainly got his sh*t together by the end of the year and into the playoffs. I wouldn't say he earned all of the money he held out for, but I'm not sure I'd say he was garbage either.

He definitely started the season out like crap (both pre-injury and first few games upon his return from injury), but certainly got his sh*t together by the end of the year and into the playoffs. I wouldn't say he earned all of the money he held out for, but I'm not sure I'd say he was garbage either.

Pretty much every CB metric like Success rate, comp % vs and yards allowed/targets had him as the best CB in football.

Pretty much every CB metric like Success rate, comp % vs and yards allowed/targets had him as the best CB in football.

I didn't know that to be true for the 2010 season, but I'll take your word for it, and like I said he definitely played great down the stretch and into the playoffs, but there's no doubt he had some pretty crappy performances early on. That Vikings game very well may have been the single worst game of his career.

The possibilities are endless for Rex (arguably the greatest defensive mind in football) with Revis and Nnamdi locking down the outside.

How anyone could be against such a scenario is absolutely baffling to me.

You're essentially forcing opposing QB's (even the Brady's and Manning's of the league) to consistently dump off to their TE's and RB's to even have a chance at putting points on the board.

This is a no brainer IMO.

If you can make it happen, then make it happen.

The possibilities are endless for Rex (arguably the greatest defensive mind in football) with Revis and Nnamdi locking down the outside.

You're essentially forcing opposing QB's (even the Brady's and Manning's of the league) to consistently dump off to their TE's and RB's to even have a chance at putting points on the board.

The argument against it is that with Rex in control, the defense will be at minimum very good even without Asomugha, and certainly of championship caliber. However, the offense is the area that needs to show the most improvement, and by locking in another excessively huge contract into your secondary, you're restricting the money to be spent elsewhere on the team and given the current WR situation, that will ultimately end up being at the expense of the offense. The argument is that the 2, 3 or 4 starting caliber players the Jets could sign with the amount of money it would cost to sign Asomugha would be an overall greater impact to the team than simply Asomugha himself, regardless of how good of he a player he may be.

The Jets beat Manning and Brady by knocking Manning and Brady down, not because they cover up the #2 receiver so darn tightly. IMO, if they're making any sort of big-ticket purchase, it should be at OLB. I'd rather they traded for Osi Umenyiora than sign Asomugha.

This is true. I doubt that any team would even think of running the football, or maybe having a third or fourth WR on the field. It'll never happen.

With Aso, the Jets defense will be so perfect that the offense won't need to score points. Mark Sanchez can throw to his TE and RB's, because the Jets won't be able to afford the WR's he won't need anyway. Definitely feel this plan coming together.

The Jets beat Manning and Brady by knocking Manning and Brady down, not because they cover up the #2 receiver so darn tightly. IMO, if they're making any sort of big-ticket purchase, it should be at OLB. I'd rather they traded for Osi Umenyiora than sign Asomugha.

This is patently false. The Jets had no pass rush this past season. You've all been whining about it. Yet somehow they managed to beat Manning and Brady on back to back weeks in the playoffs. On the road. Umenyiora is another guy without a position on this team. A luxury. If you want to spend on the offense fine, but they need a #2 CB and they will pay one. "How much?" is the question.

Trading for osi isnt an option. The giants wouldnt send him to the jets.

This is patently false. The Jets had no pass rush this past season. You've all been whining about it. Yet somehow they managed to beat Manning and Brady on back to back weeks in the playoffs. On the road. Umenyiora is another guy without a position on this team. A luxury. If you want to spend on the offense fine, but they need a #2 CB and they will pay one. "How much?" is the question.

Look at the last series Manning had the ball. a$$, a$$, a$$.

i agree with your entire post..

the shenanigans that rex would pull off with aso & revis would epic!!

Why Osi?

Have you forgotten about Wilkerson and Kendrick Ellis?

Archived