Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

The Jets beat Manning and Brady by knocking Manning and Brady down, not because they cover up the #2 receiver so darn tightly. IMO, if they're making any sort of big-ticket purchase, it should be at OLB. I'd rather they traded for Osi Umenyiora than sign Asomugha.

with all due respect, that's in the box thinking..

giving a rex ryan D, the two best corners in football to work with opens up so many possibilities, it would be nuts..

i'll give you one off the top of my head.. how about revis shadowing wes welker all game long, instead of him hiding in 3 or 4 WR sets..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is patently false. The Jets had no pass rush this past season. You've all been whining about it. Yet somehow they managed to beat Manning and Brady on back to back weeks in the playoffs. On the road. Umenyiora is another guy without a position on this team. A luxury. If you want to spend on the offense fine, but they need a #2 CB and they will pay one. "How much?" is the question.

This is really why the money needs to be spend primarily on the offensive side of the ball. The defense is already good enough to hold Peyton Manning to 16 points in his house, but the offense could only manage 17 points against a defense that gave up over 24 a week on average.

The Jets only lost two games last year in which they scored a TD. Unfortunately, they had four games in which they failed to score a TD. The Jets defense held their opponent to 10 points or less five times, and the offense managed to lose three of those games.

The Jets don't need a $12M CB. They need improvement on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately, they can't expect to do much better than mere continuity. They certainly can't afford to do much worse than that.

This is really why the money needs to be spend primarily on the offensive side of the ball. The defense is already good enough to hold Peyton Manning to 16 points in his house, but the offense could only manage 17 points against a defense that gave up over 24 a week on average.

The Jets only lost two games last year in which they scored a TD. Unfortunately, they had four games in which they failed to score a TD. The Jets defense held their opponent to 10 points or less five times, and the offense managed to lose three of those games.

The Jets don't need a $12M CB. They need improvement on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately, they can't expect to do much better than mere continuity. They certainly can't afford to do much worse than that.

What positions can they really improve on O though? The pieces are mostly in house.

What positions can they really improve on O though? The pieces are mostly in house.

I understand that. They need to keep them in house (which will cost the bulk of their spending money), and improve as a unit. Sanchez improved significantly from his rookie to sophomore years, he needs to continue that improvement. It'll be a lot easier for him if he has Holmes and Edwards to throw to.

with all due respect, that's in the box thinking..

giving a rex ryan D, the two best corners in football to work with opens up so many possibilities, it would be nuts..

i'll give you one off the top of my head.. how about revis shadowing wes welker all game long, instead of him hiding in 3 or 4 WR sets..

Not exactly a revolutionary idea. This example actually ought to make it even more clear that Nnamdi is pointless overkill. Of course Revis shadows Welker regardless. He's the only good wide receiver on the team. He's the only good wide receiver in the division. Who does Asomugha cover? Brian Hartline, Brandon Tate, and Roscoe Parrish?

Yes, but they did it with Cromartie. Maybe he isn't a $12M corner, but what is he? An $8M corner? A $10M corner?

Not exactly a revolutionary idea. This example actually ought to make it even more clear that Nnamdi is pointless overkill. Of course Revis shadows Welker regardless. He's the only good wide receiver on the team. He's the only good wide receiver in the division. Who does Asomugha cover? Brian Hartline, Brandon Tate, and Roscoe Parrish?

Deon Branch comes to mind. Though your point remains.

But otherwise, this move is about the Colts and the Steelers at this point.

ROTOWORLD:

Report: Talks between Jets, Asomugha serious

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi hears that talks between the Jets and free agent Nnamdi Asomugha are "serious and I mean serious."

As the post-lockout era enters its second 24 hours of action, the Jets are the only team linked to Asomugha. He may be willing to take less to play in New York, and players such as Mark Sanchez are willing to restructure their deals to make it work. Quickly, there appears to be an increasing likelihood that the two best corners in the league will be lining up across from each other.

This is true. I doubt that any team would even think of running the football, or maybe having a third or fourth WR on the field. It'll never happen.

With Aso, the Jets defense will be so perfect that the offense won't need to score points. Mark Sanchez can throw to his TE and RB's, because the Jets won't be able to afford the WR's he won't need anyway. Definitely feel this plan coming together.

The Jets are already one of the best teams in the league against the run. How the hell does adding Nnamdi hurt our run defense? If anything, it improves it.

Aside from Winfield and Revis, Asomugha is probably next in line as the best run stopping corner in the game.

Not to mention that we're close to locking up Holmes as well. So it's not like Sanchez is going to have no one to throw to.

I have no clue how you could be so against bringing in Aso but you're all in favor of giving away draft picks and a big contract to Umenyiora when he doesn't even have a place in this defense.

Deon Branch comes to mind. Though your point remains.

But otherwise, this move is about the Colts and the Steelers at this point.

Okay, so we're throwing quarterback money at stopping Hines Ward and Pierre Garcon? It actually seems more practical to just have them both killed.

The Jets are already one of the best teams in the league against the run. How the hell does adding Nnamdi hurt our run defense? If anything, it improves it.

Aside from Winfield and Revis, Asomugha is probably next in line as the best run stopping corner in the game.

Not to mention that we're close to locking up Holmes as well. So it's not like Sanchez is going to have no one to throw to.

I have no clue how you could be so against bringing in Aso but you're all in favor of giving away draft picks and a big contract to Umenyiora when he doesn't even have a place in this defense.

I have never once mentioned Umenyiora.

The Jets defense doesn't need improving, the offense does. There's a lot more room for improvement on offense. The Jets had the #14 scoring offense in the league and the #6 scoring defense. The money needs to be spent more on the offensive side of the ball.

But if they're going to spend big on dee, I'd prefer if to be a player who can get to the passer over a guy who'll be covering #2 WR's all season.

The Jets beat Manning and Brady by knocking Manning and Brady down, not because they cover up the #2 receiver so darn tightly. IMO, if they're making any sort of big-ticket purchase, it should be at OLB. I'd rather they traded for Osi Umenyiora than sign Asomugha.

Not really. In the Pats game, Brady was sometimes sitting in the pocket for well over 30 seconds but still couldn't find a man open. That is because of tight coverage not blitzing.

The possibilities are endless for Rex (arguably the greatest defensive mind in football) with Revis and Nnamdi locking down the outside.

How anyone could be against such a scenario is absolutely baffling to me.

You're essentially forcing opposing QB's (even the Brady's and Manning's of the league) to consistently dump off to their TE's and RB's to even have a chance at putting points on the board.

This is a no brainer IMO.

If you can make it happen, then make it happen.

That's a bit narrow minded. Obviously everyone here would LOVE to see this dream scenerio, but we DON'T want to do it at the expense of our offense. It's not that people don't want him, resigning the guys on our offense is priority. Nobody's doubting Rex and his capabilities. The fact that he is so good at defense, shows why we DON'T need Asamoughasdf.

I'm just going to be sad if we sign this guy and lose Edwards + Holmes + Smith because of it.

It's not about his ability, it's about the money. Stop arguing about that. We'd love it, but it's not realistic unless he takes a huge paycut.

If this happens the Jets will be th eMiami Heat of the NFL, everyone will hate our guts.

Hate to break it to you, the Jets have pretty much been widely hated ever since Rex took over. Especially after he was successful as well. Then again, the only times the Jets really aren't hated is when they suck.

The possibilities are endless for Rex (arguably the greatest defensive mind in football) with Revis and Nnamdi locking down the outside.

How anyone could be against such a scenario is absolutely baffling to me.

You're essentially forcing opposing QB's (even the Brady's and Manning's of the league) to consistently dump off to their TE's and RB's to even have a chance at putting points on the board.

This is a no brainer IMO.

If you can make it happen, then make it happen.

nonsense!!!why pay 1 guy who can completely shut down 1 side of the field,while revis shuts down the other side of the field,when you can sign 2 guys to do the same job???why in the world would you want extra defenders rushing the passer,double covering,and stuffing the run???ludacriss i tell you.lol

i tried to explain to the "rest" that having revis and nnamdi on the same field could be devastating to say the least.nnamdi would make all of our tweeners better,too.pulls them out of the true safety position,which they cant handle,and puts them in a safety/linebacker hybrid position,in which they are more suited and i believe,will excell at

like i said before.if he will play for less,its a no brainer. if not, it was a nice dream. move on to plan b

Not really. In the Pats game, Brady was sometimes sitting in the pocket for well over 30 seconds but still couldn't find a man open. That is because of tight coverage not blitzing.

That's a bit narrow minded. Obviously everyone here would LOVE to see this dream scenerio, but we DON'T want to do it at the expense of our offense. It's not that people don't want him, resigning the guys on our offense is priority. Nobody's doubting Rex and his capabilities. The fact that he is so good at defense, shows why we DON'T need Asamoughasdf.

I'm just going to be sad if we sign this guy and lose Edwards + Holmes + Smith because of it.

It's not about his ability, it's about the money. Stop arguing about that. We'd love it, but it's not realistic unless he takes a huge paycut.

you really threw the name smith in the mix??really?? i like the guy,but he really has no place on this team except for a returner

Okay, so we're throwing quarterback money at stopping Hines Ward and Pierre Garcon? It actually seems more practical to just have them both killed.

Ha...

Well, the quality of QB makes them relevant. Looks like we just got Santonio done. So, if we can still somehow fit this guy, don't see why not.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the Jets are prepared to pay free agent Nnamdi Asomugha $12 million a year.

The question is whether that will cut it for Asomugha, who at the start of free agency was rumored to be commanding upwards of $20 million per season. In the story linked below, SI's Peter King insists, "If you don't think Rex Ryan is pushing for this, you're crazy." The Jets, for now, look to be the front-runners for Asomugha. But the 49ers are pushing hard according to multiple reports, and the Texans look to still have some interest.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/779/nnamdi-asomugha

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the Jets are prepared to pay free agent Nnamdi Asomugha $12 million a year.

The question is whether that will cut it for Asomugha, who at the start of free agency was rumored to be commanding upwards of $20 million per season. In the story linked below, SI's Peter King insists, "If you don't think Rex Ryan is pushing for this, you're crazy." The Jets, for now, look to be the front-runners for Asomugha. But the 49ers are pushing hard according to multiple reports, and the Texans look to still have some interest.

http://www.rotoworld...nnamdi-asomugha

$20 mil per year.... what IS this world coming to? Take the 20 and go play for the loser 49ers. See if we care!

i want braylon!

$20 mil per year.... what IS this world coming to? Take the 20 and go play for the loser 49ers. See if we care!

i want braylon!

i did to, but the Edwards thing is over. His agent tweeted that they broke off talks, and Edwards tweeted that it was a very bad doy for him

Signing Aso will increase coverage sacks and sacks from safety and LB blitzes. Should also help defensive ends on 3rd and long no?

Im having a hard time not liking the idea of signing this guy. If Rex feels he will make a big diff why not trust his judgement?

I understand wanting to improve the offense but Sanchez had all the parts needed at his disposal last year and he wasnt exactly lighting it up. Maybe its not improvable (is that a word?) with him at QB? What else can you give him to work with at this point that would make the "O" better than the average unit it was last year.(Hello Schott haters)

Maybe Rex feels they can get to the show if the "D" takes it to another level.

Just thinkin......

If we sign Aso I believe it will have a sort of multiplier effect on our defense's potential. They would no longer be able to throw away from Revis or Aso. It would be a pick your poison in passing situations. I could see both players putting up career numbers in picks. Maybe a pipe dream but I would like to find out : )

Archived