Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i did to, but the Edwards thing is over. His agent tweeted that they broke off talks, and Edwards tweeted that it was a very bad doy for him

It's never over until something is signed. NEVER!!!! :D

It's still posturing IMO..... well I hope it is.

Okay, so we're throwing quarterback money at stopping Hines Ward and Pierre Garcon? It actually seems more practical to just have them both killed.

This actually made me laugh.... What's the matter with me? :D

Revis' number is 11,265,000 add Asomogha's 12 million and Sanchez' 17 million and we can NOT afford the luxury of that much money tied up on 1 position-Sanchez needs to restructure so we can resign Braylon because we all know Revis will NOT

This would've been a great option for the Jets. Oh well...

Josh Wilson heads slightly south to Redskins

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 27, 2011, 6:39 PM EDT

j-wilson2.jpg?w=137 AP

The Redskins didn’t pilfer guard Marshall Yanda from the Ravens as planned, but they will take one of the Ravens’ cornerbacks.

Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun reports that Josh Wilson will join the Redskins on a deal averaging $4.5-$5 million. We were impressed with Wilson last year; he was probably Baltimore’s best cornerback down the stretch in 2011. He ostensibly replaces Carlos Rogers in Washington.

The mid-level cornerback market is starting to thin out slightly with Drayton Florence and Wilson off the board. This is a strong sign the Redskins won’t go after any of the big cornerback names on the market.

The Ravens may up their efforts to re-sign Chris Carr now . . . assuming they aren’t getting into the Asomugha business.

UPDATE: Wilson’s deal is for $13.5 million over three years, with $6 million guaranteed according to Adam Schefter.

There is no incentive for Asomugha to make a decision any time soon.

By the time he informs the Jets that he's been playing them to get more money elsewhere, all the other free agent CBs will be gone.

As will Braylon Edwards.

By the time he informs the Jets that he's been playing them to get more money elsewhere, all the other free agent CBs will be gone.

As will Braylon Edwards.

Sadly, I had this thought earlier. There is a very real possibility that this is what's happening.

The only good news is that it most likely won't be all that long we have to wait to know.

Revis' number is 11,265,000 add Asomogha's 12 million and Sanchez' 17 million and we can NOT afford the luxury of that much money tied up on 1 position-Sanchez needs to restructure so we can resign Braylon because we all know Revis will NOT

Sanchez will restructure as much as the Jets ask him to.

Never understand fans patting players on the back for restructuring which almost always pays the player more or pays the player the same (except pays it up front instead of spread out over the season). Yet people praise a player for doing so as though the player took some sort of pay cut.

Say Sanchez's base is about $15M, or about $900K per week (not bad work if you can get it). He can either make zero now and $900K per week over a 17-week season OR restructure so maybe $8M is converted into new bonus money. He then gets $8M now and $7M ($400K/week) starting in September. It's the exact same money to the player and the only main difference is that he's getting a bunch of it now instead of later.

So as I said at the start, he'll be only too happy to restructure as much as the Jets ask him to.

Sanchez will restructure as much as the Jets ask him to.

Never understand fans patting players on the back for restructuring which almost always pays the player more or pays the player the same (except pays it up front instead of spread out over the season). Yet people praise a player for doing so as though the player took some sort of pay cut.

Say Sanchez's base is about $15M, or about $900K per week (not bad work if you can get it). He can either make zero now and $900K per week over a 17-week season OR restructure so maybe $8M is converted into new bonus money. He then gets $8M now and $7M ($400K/week) starting in September. It's the exact same money to the player and the only main difference is that he's getting a bunch of it now instead of later.

So as I said at the start, he'll be only too happy to restructure as much as the Jets ask him to.

Sadly, I'm just not smart enough to figure that stuff out...

RavensInsider

Aaron Wilson

Jets are hedging their bets, talking to several cornerbacks around the league, including Ravens free agents Fabian Washington and Chris Carr

This is the guy I wanted from the start. Sign Carr for a reasonable deal, and maybe shore up the WR's (Braylon!) while their at it.

Cro will wait and see if the JETS land Aso before signing the dotted line... he wants to be a JET... having Revis next to him means he never has to play the top guy and always has the most chances to build up stats.

RavensInsider

Aaron Wilson

Jets are hedging their bets, talking to several cornerbacks around the league, including Ravens free agents Fabian Washington and Chris Carr

I'm sure they are, but the glare of shiny things sometimes blind the eyes. I sincerely hope we are not like that dog with the bone in his mouth looking at his reflection and going for what the "other' dog has in HIS mouth. We already have two really top notch players here in BE and Cro. We should give them a fair shot to take a deal. Screw Aso and Moss.

Chris Carr is terrible. You realize that right? It should be Nnamdi or Cromarte

No.

He's a decent starter that will come at a fraction of the price of either of those guys. I'd prefer him to Cro straight up. At least he's capable of some physical play.

No.

He's a decent starter that will come at a fraction of the price of either of those guys. I'd prefer him to Cro straight up. At least he's capable of some physical play.

If you've watched him play at all he gets burned more than a cheap steak. He isn't close to in Cromarte's league. He's a zone CB who will get destroyed in our man to man system.

As will Braylon Edwards.

This is all Al Davis's master plan.

Maybe Kyle Wilson will develop into the #2 corner we thought we drafted. The first year is supposed to be tough for CBs, Revis had trouble too. Maybe this is the year he steps up so we don't need to sign somebody. Of course then he'll just hold out in another year anyway, but one step at a time.

Maybe Kyle Wilson will develop into the #2 corner we thought we drafted. The first year is supposed to be tough for CBs, Revis had trouble too. Maybe this is the year he steps up so we don't need to sign somebody. Of course then he'll just hold out in another year anyway, but one step at a time.

Sometimes it seems like people talk about him like a 5th year bust. Wilson will ball this year whether it's as a #2 or nickle.

Market "just developing?"

After losing out on Weddle, Texans turn attention to Asomugha and Joseph

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 27, 2011, 11:12 PM EDT

n-asomughabreakup.jpg?w=181

Getty Images

The bad news for the Texans: They lost out on safety Eric Weddle after the Chargers reportedly “extended their budget” to get Weddle away from Houston.

The good news: They can use the money they saved to go after a cornerback with more value than Weddle. (And we actually like Weddle plenty.)

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans are “working hard” on possible deals for Nnamdi Asomugha or Johnathan Joseph to town. They’ll have to shuffle around other contracts and give lots of upfront money to get a deal done, McClain write.

More than 36 hours in sorta free agency, and we get the sense Asomugha’s market is still developing. It wouldn’t shock us if a team we haven’t heard of yet enters the bidding if they learn the price isn’t as high as once feared.

I had Nnamdi as a top 5 pick in 2003. I remember his combine numbers and knew he was the real deal.

A once in a lifetime talent.

The only part I was wrong on is he is a twice in a lifetime talent. My man, Darrelle Revis, is the other part.

These two super powers in the same secondary. The legendary Raiders teams never had that. The Steel Curtain never had that. The Oilers team with the top secondary in the late 70's they never had that.

These two once-in-a-lifetime talents would combine to give the Jets a once-in-a-lifetime season.

A Super Bowl season.

I am working on the scheme changes that Rex and Mike P could implement with the wonder twins. That is what I am calling them:

The Wonder Twins.

If anyone wants me to outline the Wonder Twins Defense, I will do it. Maybe I will give it to Max and Smizzy to put on the front page.

@njpanthers12

Aso has agreed to sign with the Jets, Carr is signing with Jacksonville, Cromartie to Oakland, Joseph has offers from Seattle, Cleveland,

Congrats NY you guys should be very happy tomorrow Holmes and Aso. WOW

I don't know who this guy is so it's prob not true but he is reporting this

@njpanthers12

Aso has agreed to sign with the Jets, Carr is signing with Jacksonville, Cromartie to Oakland, Joseph has offers from Seattle, Cleveland,

Congrats NY you guys should be very happy tomorrow Holmes and Aso. WOW

I don't know who this guy is so it's prob not true but he is reporting this

He has 180 followers he has to be legit!

Archived