Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nnamdi and his agent most likely set a deadline for him signing."we will see what happens till 6pm friday,then we make our descision". nnamdi can only hurt teams by making them waite.it is to his full advantage to take his time. not too much time,but i think friday at 6pm would do the trick

I love Braylon too. But lets be serious here, we have to go thru Indy, NE, Pitt, and Baltimore to get tio the superbowl every year. Lets have what they cant, and thats the best secondarry in the league with Revis and Nnamdi. That would make beating Peyton even less of a headache, while making our pass rush thrive more consistent. Dont forget Cotchery is a very reliable number 2 he's been there and done that consistently for years. And Patrick Turner and Scotty McKnight have chemistry with Sanchez already, while Kerley could be a playmaker right away. Nnamdi gets us one step closer to what we all want and thats a superbowl. Get it done! Go jets. :)

The real question is, how much does Cro sign for? If its around the same or a little less than Nnamdi then ok but if its a lot less then I don't think the amount the Jets get better with Nnamdi over Cro is big enough to spend so much money on him.

With or withOUT Nmandi we all know that Rex will put together a top 5 defense anyway. Who here trusts Brian Schottenheimer who had like 4 games last year where we didn't even score a Td and lost every one of those games, and now we want to take away a 50+ catch guy who score 7Tds and racked up over 900 yards? Who on this team can do what he can do? Nobody better say Patrick Turner

Has Tannenbaum ever given us a reason to believe we're restricted in doing anything personell wise?

Stop acting like its your money.

And you have still yet to suggest who this money would better be spent on. The offense is totally tied to Sanchez getting better. We already have one of the best lines in football. Our running backs are set. WR's for the most part are set. Its on Sanchez.

Spending money to bring in one of the best players in the NFL is a good move.

The best way to ensure Sanchez' continued development is to give him continuity at the WR position.

I agree with you that he's easily the most important piece of the puzzle - which is why it's of primary importance to me to keep his weapons in place.

tanny wouldnt bore us with an easy deal.he has to make it exciting.i dont think the jets would be in it this long if they werent almost possitive nnamdi wasnt coming to gang green.flip side to that,maybe all the hype and success has gone to tanny's and rex's heads.hope good news comes soon

I think that the thing to remember is that Tannenbaum is sticking to his guns. The Jets want Asomugha. He is the priority, but they want him at a price that is less than market. They could kick the number up and make the deal happen, but they won't kill their cap forever for the guy or set themselves up so that they can't sign a WR. Most reports have it that SF already offered significantly more.

Seriously! Im so surprised by some of the people on here being ok with going into season with only Holmes and Cotchery. And saying tht Braylon will cost alot of money too is a BS argument because he probably would cost half of what Nnamdi is going to cost and he is more of a necessity for our young QB.

In 2009 Sanchez started the season 4-0 passing to Cotchery as the number one, and Stuckey as the number two. We scorched the Pats with those guys by the way. Thats "worse" than Holmes / Cotchery/ Turner /Mcknight/Kerley. Lets not forget about Dustin Keller as our "BIG" target.

When exactly did the Big Receiver/Little Receiver paradigm start? Who was the first Big/Little tandem?

I'm honestly asking.

Who cares?

I just don't want 3 little receivers out there, it's not like we have a traditional tight end either.

I think that the thing to remember is that Tannenbaum is sticking to his guns. The Jets want Asomugha. He is the priority, but they want him at a price that is less than market. They could kick the number up and make the deal happen, but they won't kill their cap forever for the guy or set themselves up so that they can't sign a WR. Most reports have it that SF already offered significantly more.

Man, that is putting ALOT of faith in a players word that he is going to take less to come here. I just don't see it happening. He is playing this perfectly and these Jets players they have "on hold" are going to grow impatient.

Has Tannenbaum ever given us a reason to believe we're restricted in doing anything personell wise?

Stop acting like its your money.

And you have still yet to suggest who this money would better be spent on. The offense is totally tied to Sanchez getting better. We already have one of the best lines in football. Our running backs are set. WR's for the most part are set. Its on Sanchez.

Spending money to bring in one of the best players in the NFL is a good move.

You mean other than the fact that just today there have been multiple reports of negotiations with various other players being held up because of the Asomugha negotiations? If his contract would have absolutely no impact whatsoever on the Jets ability to sign other players, as some of you seem so insistent on, what possible reason would there be to delay signing any players, with the exception of maybe other CBs? You can keep rambling on about me acting like it's my money, but that certainly doesn't make it true, particularly since I've been rather clear that the money should still be spent, but just not on Asomugha. Stop pretending like there is no salary cap in the NFL, and despite the fact that we are seeing it happen right before our very eyes today even without Asomugha under contract, that you somehow think there will be no impact on the Jets anywhere else if they were to sign him. There is literally no basis for that stance whatsoever.

Oh, I see it's just an aesthetic thing. You like big guys. Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant it improved your football team to have at least one receiver that is "big".

What?

I feel better about the offense with a big reciever on it.

You don't?

And get to work in signing players that actually will help this team. All we've done is sign like 2 dozen undrafted training camp cannon fodder scrubs and re-sign 2 of our own. In the meantime teams are out there improving their teams with NEW players. This Asomugha deal (which isn't going to happen because of $$$) is going to cost us our hardest working WR and probably see him in Miami or Tennessee. We've already lost out on Barnes-who would have helped. This luxury big splash deal is already costing us-I just don't want it to affect us any more than it already has.

Not be a dick to the JN Captain, but did this need its own thread?

I feel like I'm having/reading the same conversation in like 3 different places.

With or withOUT Nmandi we all know that Rex will put together a top 5 defense anyway. Who here trusts Brian Schottenheimer who had like 4 games last year where we didn't even score a Td and lost every one of those games, and now we want to take away a 50+ catch guy who score 7Tds and racked up over 900 yards? Who on this team can do what he can do? Nobody better say Patrick Turner

Exactly why we should have signed BE first. WR's with his body type are very rare and huge inside the 20. Everyone including Rex and Tanny are infatuated with the big play potential of Holmes but consistency is what wins SB's especially when you have a great defense. Just look at the 3 Patroit SB teams all Decent WR's nothing special but they got the big first downs and moved the chains they also made the big clutch catchs to extend drives. Enter Randy Moss Big play guy who does nothing else and what happend when they ran into a pass rushing monster ? The big plays never happened... wonder why .

Another example the 98 Jets with All posession guys very tough offense to stop, trade Keyshawn and the wheels fall off.

New Orleans saints another posession short passing offense smart move keeping as many skill guys as they can . At one point they had Colston, Henderson, Meacham, Moore, Bush, Thomas, McCallister (now retired) all on the same roster. That offense was insane.

The Jets have a good defense but an offense with Holmes and Cotch at WR will be such an epic faliure reminesent of 2007 it will make your head spin. While we all wait for the occasional Big play Holmes delivers 2 or 3 times a year. Good luck with that. if we dont move the chains our Defense will get beat down and it will be another missed SB chance. Consistency wins not big plays.

You mean other than the fact that just today there have been multiple reports of negotiations with various other players being held up because of the Asomugha negotiations? If his contract would have absolutely no impact whatsoever on the Jets ability to sign other players, as some of you seem so insistent on, what possible reason would there be to delay signing any players, with the exception of maybe other CBs? You can keep rambling on about me acting like it's my money, but that certainly doesn't make it true, particularly since I've been rather clear that the money should still be spent, but just not on Asomugha. Stop pretending like there is no salary cap in the NFL, and despite the fact that we are seeing it happen right before our very eyes today even without Asomugha under contract, that you somehow think there will be no impact on the Jets anywhere else if they were to sign him. There is literally no basis for that stance whatsoever.

Why shouldnt money be spent on Asomugha? The Jets obviously feel he can help the team. Has Tannenbaum ever given any reason for us to believe he'll bring us to cap hell? No- he hasnt.

If they wanted Braylon or Cromartie back they would have went after them.

You're stance is strange....the team obviously favors CB's and one of the best ever seems to want to be a Jet. If that means we have to lose a decent WR- so be it. You have to get the money aspect out of your head....it isnt an issue.

werd

wasn't the problem last year the passing OFFENSE ?

My question exactly. I'm seriously wondering what it is we;re thinking right now. I think it's a pipe dream that Aso comes here. we're going to be like 2-4 mil PER YEAR lower than anyone else in this bidding war. That's MILLIONS of dollars. Playing for less is all well and good, but come on. I'm having hard time believing this will happen. If we lose Braylon and Cro and Aso signs elsewhere we will be fools.

I like to think we're more calculated than that, but so is every other organization out there. Right now people are talking to the players we want an waving dollar bills

Hey APE yo do realize this is an accellerated FA period right ? or have you been living in a bubble the past year

Yes. I realize it, I also realize Jets fans have a penchant for going all chicken little because they can't go on the internet while they are at work and find out the inner-most secrets of the organization, so they assume based upon what the media pukes up... that the sky is falling.

It'll all work out.

I love Braylon too. But lets be serious here, we have to go thru Indy, NE, Pitt, and Baltimore to get tio the superbowl every year. Lets have what they cant, and thats the best secondarry in the league with Revis and Nnamdi. That would make beating Peyton even less of a headache, while making our pass rush thrive more consistent. Dont forget Cotchery is a very reliable number 2 he's been there and done that consistently for years. And Patrick Turner and Scotty McKnight have chemistry with Sanchez already, while Kerley could be a playmaker right away. Nnamdi gets us one step closer to what we all want and thats a superbowl. Get it done! Go jets. :)

Agreed 100%

I'm not sure if I've ever agreed with you before. ;)

Here's the thing that those who think we dont need Aso are missing. Rex puts a very high value on CB's. We are working both Cro and Aso right now, so we knows this is true. While I agree, D is Rex's bread and butter. I think Rex realizes that he needs 2 CB's to get past Manning, Brady, BigRape and some emerging talent in the AFC..and then potentially facing a Rodgers in the SB...shesh.

2 years ago, when Revis had one of the best seasons ever for a CB, the Jets had one of the best secondaries in the league. You cant expect that type of a season every year and we were only 9-7...hell, it didnt happen last year, we might not have won 11 games and make the playoffs if we didnt have Cro to step up and help us win 2 games with Revis injured.

During that season, our trip was a little easier to the AFCG. We faced Palmer, who sucks and Rivers who is much easier to game plan for than Manning and Brady. Then, guess who bounced us? Manning and the Colts...why? Because we didnt have anyone to stop Garcon.

I see the case for maybe getting a true #2 and not another #1 and getting another WR. But if there is one thing that I trust about the NY Jets, its Rex Ryan's knowledge of defense. If he thinks Aso is worth it, then Aso is mother ******* worth it. I cant imagine what his mad scientist like mind is cooking up the thought of having those 2 players.

Exactly why we should have signed BE first. WR's with his body type are very rare and huge inside the 20. Everyone including Rex and Tanny are infatuated with the big play potential of Holmes but consistency is what wins SB's especially when you have a great defense. Just look at the 3 Patroit SB teams all Decent WR's nothing special but they got the big first downs and moved the chains they also made the big clutch catchs to extend drives. Enter Randy Moss Big play guy who does nothing else and what happend when they ran into a pass rushing monster ? The big plays never happened... wonder why .

Another example the 98 Jets with All posession guys very tough offense to stop, trade Keyshawn and the wheels fall off.

New Orleans saints another posession short passing offense smart move keeping as many skill guys as they can . At one point they had Colston, Henderson, Meacham, Moore, Bush, Thomas, McCallister (now retired) all on the same roster. That offense was insane.

The Jets have a good defense but an offense with Holmes and Cotch at WR will be such an epic faliure reminesent of 2007 it will make your head spin. While we all wait for the occasional Big play Holmes delivers 2 or 3 times a year. Good luck with that. if we dont move the chains our Defense will get beat down and it will be another missed SB chance. Consistency wins not big plays.

So what does this have to do with signing BE first?

And not for nothing, but Randy Moss broke the single season TD record, had 100 catches (which proves he does more than big plays) and 1,400 yards, Tom Brady broke the single season TD record and their team was a miracle catch away from an undefeated season.

Yes. I realize it, I also realize Jets fans have a penchant for going all chicken little because they can't go on the internet while they are at work and find out the inner-most secrets of the organization, so they assume based upon what the media pukes up... that the sky is falling.

It'll all work out.

I agree with this but there is some issue with waiting on Nnamdi while other potential FA get signed. We lose Braylon and we are in a sh*t heap of trouble on offense. I mean we already are with sh*tty running the show. How did we do in the playoffs with the number 1 defense in the NFL a few years ago ? Our worn out Defense got Torched by Peyton Manning in teh AFCCG. Last year our Offense improved slightly and our defense did better in the playoffs until they laid an egg in the first half vs the Steelers so what do the Jets do ? They do nothing on offense and possibly lose Edwards to boot along with Brad Smith who at the very least gets the attention of defenses. If this does not concern you Im not sure what you think will happen after friday or what we have up our sleves.

So what does this have to do with signing BE first?

And not for nothing, but Randy Moss broke the single season TD record, had 100 catches (which proves he does more than big plays) and 1,400 yards, Tom Brady broke the single season TD record and their team was a miracle catch away from an undefeated season.

And it was the first time they lost a SB last decade.

Archived