Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive never seen what people like about Weddle. He's a limited athlete that doesn't hit or make plays. The Jets already have one of those guys.

I like him because he's a heady, lunchpail type guy who plays with a lot of grit.

If the Jets are thinking about spending big money for an outside FA defender, they should sign Eric Weddle 10x before they sign Aso. A younger (possibly better) player, who fills a much bigger need on this team. Revis can handle #1's, Wilson/Coleman can handle #2 duty, and a guy like Weddle could help with the aforementioned TE's, slot receivers, and RB's.

It looks like the Ravens entire secondary is up for grabs, and any of Dawan Landry, Chris Carr, or Josh Wilson would help the Jets as well. There are a lot of CB's available. A good portion of them would make a decent #2 here if the Jets don't have confidence in their own guys to get it done.

Santonio Holmes, meanwhile, is the top FA WR in the NFL this year, and the Jets have the inside track on him. They shouldn't even consider dicking around with other teams defenders until the shore up Sanchez' arsenal.

Wait. Now Coleman can handle #2s? It was a shock the ******* guy cut it as a nickel last year. You want to downplay Lance Moore because he is 5'9", but Coleman is closer to 5'6". It's not a good plan.

I agree that the offense is behind the D, but I think that consistency is more important on the D. If you have to have a guy that makes some huge plays and spits some up I would much rather have them on offense. That's why I think the drop stats bullsh*t on Edwards and Holmes (and Bowe, etc) is overblown. The Jets need at least one WR. They should resign one of their 2 for consistency sake. I think that it will be best for Sanchez to retain one and I have seen stats that FA WRs often take a few years to really produce.

Obviously it comes down to money. I would prefer Edwards and Asomugha to Holmes and Cromartie if the money was the same. I wouldn't mind signing Weddle, Landry, Joseph or any of those other guys instead, but they had better come at a significant discount compared to Asomugha.

Wait. Now Coleman can handle #2s? It was a shock the ******* guy cut it as a nickel last year. You want to downplay Lance Moore because he is 5'9", but Coleman is closer to 5'6". It's not a good plan.

I agree that the offense is behind the D, but I think that consistency is more important on the D. If you have to have a guy that makes some huge plays and spits some up I would much rather have them on offense. That's why I think the drop stats bullsh*t on Edwards and Holmes (and Bowe, etc) is overblown. The Jets need at least one WR. They should resign one of their 2 for consistency sake. I think that it will be best for Sanchez to retain one and I have seen stats that FA WRs often take a few years to really produce.

Obviously it comes down to money. I would prefer Edwards and Asomugha to Holmes and Cromartie if the money was the same. I wouldn't mind signing Weddle, Landry, Joseph or any of those other guys instead, but they had better come at a significant discount compared to Asomugha.

As usual, we essentially agree, but you need to argue something anyway. :lol:

Everyone wants to talk about what a genius Rex Ryan is. I think he's much more likely to much more with the defense with Coleman at the #2 CB spot than Schottenheimer could do with Cotchery as the #1 WR. But as I said in subsequent posts, there's a lot of CB's out there in FA. The Jets don't need to sign the best one available to be their #2. In fact, IMHO, they shouldn't.

apparently not under schotty..

they spread the ball all over the field..

even in year 3, i don't have sanchez getting either holmes or edwards 1,200+ this season..

Really? Because in his first season as a Jet, learning a new system with a new QB, Holmes managed to gain 736 yards in just 12 games. Pro rate that out to 16 games, and that's 981 yards. There's no doubt in my mind that Holmes could be a 1200+ yard WR in his second season here, and again in many seasons to come.

Everyone wants to talk about what a genius Rex Ryan is. I think he's much more likely to much more with the defense with Coleman at the #2 CB spot than Schottenheimer could do with Cotchery as the #1 WR. But as I said in subsequent posts, there's a lot of CB's out there in FA. The Jets don't need to sign the best one available to be their #2. In fact, IMHO, they shouldn't.

Actually, I think Schottenheimer's ability to do something with nothing would be a benefit in that case. IMO the biggest problem with Schottenheimer is that if he has a hammer, instead of banging the nail on the head until it's flush, he uses the screw gun and the channel lock on two downs. OTOH, it's not like the team will have no options. They were okay without Holmes to start the season. They were okay without either of them to start 2009. They have players and nobody is advocating that they ignore the offense. IMO RT is the #1 priority.

You can make it that I am just being contrary, but you are the one suggesting Eric ******* Weddle. He might be an upgrade over Pool. Maybe not. The Jets NEED another CB. Lowery may well be moved to S permanently. Wilson didn't replace Sheppard, he replaced Strickland. The Jets need another body there. They *could* go with what they have, but it's not likely and you are acting like having the best option would be a bad thing. The Jets can use a 2nd great CB more than any other team, so it's an option they can and will explore. VERY unlikely, but worth checking out.

Really? Because in his first season as a Jet, learning a new system with a new QB, Holmes managed to gain 736 yards in just 12 games. Pro rate that out to 16 games, and that's 981 yards. There's no doubt in my mind that Holmes could be a 1200+ yard WR in his second season here, and again in many seasons to come.

rex having both holmes & edwards fall into his lap, still didn't make him become pass heavy..

he wants to run the ball & always will..

what it would cost to keep both holmes & edwards is overkill..

rex with aso & revis would almost be cheating..

not real cheating, like the pasts*, for an example..

You can make it that I am just being contrary, but you are the one suggesting Eric ******* Weddle. He might be an upgrade over Pool. Maybe not. The Jets NEED another CB. Lowery may well be moved to S permanently. Wilson didn't replace Sheppard, he replaced Strickland. The Jets need another body there. They *could* go with what they have, but it's not likely and you are acting like having the best option would be a bad thing. The Jets can use a 2nd great CB more than any other team, so it's an option they can and will explore.

Weddle would be a major improvement over Pool.

You usually seem more level-headed. I'm surprised that you're interested in having the Jets explore Aso. It's just not a practical move. I do not see the benefit of having a great CB covering #2 WR's all year, while TE's and slot receivers continue to cause the Jets problems. Aso's a much better player than Cromartie, but will his presence really make that much of a difference in that role? I don't think so. Plus, can you imagine the contract problems they'll have when Revis hits the last two years of his deal vs. the contract it takes to get Aso here? Ugh. So yes, I do think that "best option," would be a bad thing. I do not see it as the best option for the Jets at all. There are other CB options available in FA if the Jets don't think last year's #1 pick is ready for a starting role.

You usually seem more level-headed. I'm surprised that you're interested in having the Jets explore Aso. It's just not a practical move. I do not see the benefit of having a great CB covering #2 WR's all year, while TE's and slot receivers continue to cause the Jets problems. Aso's a much better player than Cromartie, but will his presence really make that much of a difference in that role? I don't think so. Plus, can you imagine the con tract problems they'll have when Revis hits the last two years of his deal vs. the contract it takes to get Aso here? Ugh. So yes, I do think that "best option," would be a bad thing. I do not see it as the best option for the Jets at all. There are other CB options available in FA if the Jets don't think last year's #1 pick is ready for a starting role.

IF Aso costs $10M more than Cromartie I am all for saying goodbye. Get it down to $1-2M and it's something to consider. Add in guys like Joseph and rate their costs and make a decision. I actually think Aso would make a huge difference over Cromartie. I think Cromartie is wildly overrated here. The Jets will be spending some serious money this offseason, there is no reason to avoid the top players. I don't think it's likely, but I don't think it's Brett Favre to the Jets crazy either. People keep bringing up Revis contract, but having Aso would be a hedge against another holdout, much the same way having Edwards and Holmes at the same time makes it more likley we'll keep one. If the Jets have Aso and Wilson is honestly good enough to start, then tell Revis to take a walk.

I don't agree.

All of those QB's have TE's and/or slot guys and/or RB's that they can throw to all day while we have $30M worth of CB's covering their top two WR's. Nnamdi does not bring the option to drop less people into coverage because most #2 CB's should be able to handle most #2 WR's. It's not the same as Revis being able to shut down #1's all by himself.

The Jets dee is way ahead of the offense. Has been for a while. You want to tip that imbalance further by downgrading at WR and upgrading at CB? I don't. As a general rule, championship teams have potent to explosive offenses. Go down the list, the 2000 Ravens are the rare exception, and the Jets don't have that kind of defense today, and still won't with Aso on board. The Jets understood that when they traded up for Sanchez. They need to continue to understand it next week. The team's #1 WR needs to be the priority way before the team's #2 CB. Tom Moore is great, but they need the horses on the field.

And does this plan of yours include holding onto Braylon? You think the team can sign Edwards, Aso, and Lance Moore? Or are we replacing both starting WR's with one 5'9" guy? :blink:

come on slats,you know football better than that.there is not 1 team in the league that puts their #1 corner on the #1 receiver and the #2 corner on the #2 receiver.the jets cant even do that with revis.the more likely scenario is to double the #1 receiver and have your #1 corner cover the #2 receiver with safety help.30 teams in the league use this formula the majority of the time.4 guys need to cover 2 receivers.the jets and the raiders can do it with 3.just playing devils advocate here,but if the jets sign nnamdi,they can cover 2 guys with 2 guys,escentially giving the jets a 2 defender advantage over evey team in the league

good wide receivers are a dime a dozen with the rules they put in place over the past decade.imo,neither edwards or holmes are "elite".but very good.do you really want to pay elite $$ to a very good receiver?revis and nnamdi are truly elite.not saying run out and sign nnamdi to a record breaker,but if he can be had for $1 under revis contract,its a no brainer.

the jets at the very minimum need to do their due dilligence with nnamdi.if he can be convinced to take less to play for the jets,just think of the major headache that can resolve with revis next year.nnamdi goes to another team with a record breaker,revis holdout part duece here we come

plus,to be perfectly honest with you,tampering has been running wild this year.i wouldnt be surprised if 90% of the free agents already have wink nod deals already

rex having both holmes & edwards fall into his lap, still didn't make him become pass heavy..

he wants to run the ball & always will..

what it would cost to keep both holmes & edwards is overkill..

rex with aso & revis would almost be cheating..

not real cheating, like the pasts*, for an example..

Rex took over the team and drafted a QB #5 overall. As a rookie, Sanchez threw for 2441 yards, in his second year he threw for 3291 yards. His attempts jumped from 364 to 507. You don't think those passing numbers will continue to grow as Sanchez continues to improve?

Doubt they sign both Edwards and Holmes. Doubt they could sign either and bring in Aso.

Aso would be an expensive waste as a #2 CB watching from the side of the field where he has the #2 WR blanketed, while the opposition's slot receiver, TE, or RB, is tearing up the middle of the field.

if the cap is going to be $125 mill, why would the jets put $30 mill into 2 corners ? you already have sanchez, mangold, pace, scott and brick with big deals, and the defense isn't the problem.

teams would do the "death by a thousand cuts" and throw on our LB's and 3rd corner anyway. coleman/wilson would give up 12 passes a game by himself.

I say put any spending money into a RT and WR's

the jets need to score in the passing game

30m into probably the 2 best defenders in the leauge creating the best cb duo ever,or over 20m for 3 good receivers with keller and lt in the back field?thats a brain teaser right there

if the cap is going to be $125 mill, why would the jets put $30 mill into 2 corners ? you already have sanchez, mangold, pace, scott and brick with big deals, and the defense isn't the problem.

teams would do the "death by a thousand cuts" and throw on our LB's and 3rd corner anyway. coleman/wilson would give up 12 passes a game by himself.

I say put any spending money into a RT and WR's

the jets need to score in the passing game

hunter play pretty well last year when woody went down.he has got to be a cheap option if ducasse doesnt work out,no?

If the Jets are thinking about spending big money for an outside FA defender, they should sign Eric Weddle 10x before they sign Aso. A younger (possibly better) player, who fills a much bigger need on this team. Revis can handle #1's, Wilson/Coleman can handle #2 duty, and a guy like Weddle could help with the aforementioned TE's, slot receivers, and RB's.

It looks like the Ravens entire secondary is up for grabs, and any of Dawan Landry, Chris Carr, or Josh Wilson would help the Jets as well. There are a lot of CB's available. A good portion of them would make a decent #2 here if the Jets don't have confidence in their own guys to get it done.

Santonio Holmes, meanwhile, is the top FA WR in the NFL this year, and the Jets have the inside track on him. They shouldn't even consider dicking around with other teams defenders until the shore up Sanchez' arsenal.

i think what you mean to say is the jets have the inside track knowing they cant afford holmes.holmes might receive a record breaker this year.he is not elite.great route runner and clutch player.lacks size,thinks he is gods gift to every team he plays on,1 incident away from a year long,pissed off at schotty,and dropped way to many balls this year for my liking.i am all for signing him back reasonably,but i dont think a reasonable contract is in the cards for holmes

If the Jets have Aso and Wilson is honestly good enough to start, then tell Revis to take a walk.

No you don't. Revis is four years younger and better than Aso. No reason to ever get yourself in that position.

come on slats,you know football better than that.there is not 1 team in the league that puts their #1 corner on the #1 receiver and the #2 corner on the #2 receiver.the jets cant even do that with revis.the more likely scenario is to double the #1 receiver and have your #1 corner cover the #2 receiver with safety help.30 teams in the league use this formula the majority of the time.4 guys need to cover 2 receivers.the jets and the raiders can do it with 3.just playing devils advocate here,but if the jets sign nnamdi,they can cover 2 guys with 2 guys,escentially giving the jets a 2 defender advantage over evey team in the league

good wide receivers are a dime a dozen with the rules they put in place over the past decade.imo,neither edwards or holmes are "elite".but very good.do you really want to pay elite $ to a very good receiver?revis and nnamdi are truly elite.not saying run out and sign nnamdi to a record breaker,but if he can be had for $1 under revis contract,its a no brainer.

the jets at the very minimum need to do their due dilligence with nnamdi.if he can be convinced to take less to play for the jets,just think of the major headache that can resolve with revis next year.nnamdi goes to another team with a record breaker,revis holdout part duece here we come

plus,to be perfectly honest with you,tampering has been running wild this year.i wouldnt be surprised if 90% of the free agents already have wink nod deals already

I think you're smarter than your typing skills, but your typing skills really need to start picking up the pace. At least hit the goddamned space bar after punctuation. Thank you.

That said, the bold above is exactly what the Jets do. That's what makes Revis so valuable, the fact that he can eliminate the opposition's #1 receiving threat all by himself. If the Jets signed Aso to be their #2 CB, he damn well better be able to handle #2 WR's all day long. Cromartie was able to. I'd expect a guy like Chris Carr or Josh Wilson to be able to, too.

Your post is wildly contradictory. In one breath, you say that almost every NFL team needs four guys to cover two WR's, then you say that good WR's are a dime a dozen. The level of CB play in this league must really suck then. :lol:

I like both players, but Keller is no pro bowler, and Cotchery is best served as a #3 WR. The Jets need the offense to improve over their 2010 levels significantly. They can't afford to drop off at all.

agree.keller= good player but deffietely over rated.tanny got scared the giants would take him and he reached,big time.diasagree on cotch.had an injury riddled down year last year,but is not a slot guy.i think he is better suited on the outsid as a serviceable #2.

imo,the jets had overkill last year in the receiver dept and sanchez is not ready for that.holmes,edwards,lt,keller,and cotch?all they did was spread it around.i think if you kept edwards with that group,sanchez will be fine

Rex took over the team and drafted a QB #5 overall. As a rookie, Sanchez threw for 2441 yards, in his second year he threw for 3291 yards. His attempts jumped from 364 to 507. You don't think those passing numbers will continue to grow as Sanchez continues to improve?

Doubt they sign both Edwards and Holmes. Doubt they could sign either and bring in Aso.

Aso would be an expensive waste as a #2 CB watching from the side of the field where he has the #2 WR blanketed, while the opposition's slot receiver, TE, or RB, is tearing up the middle of the field.

this is my biggest disagreement with not signing aso..

with him, the most innovative/aggressive defensive mind in pro football (who loves corners) would make it look like cheating online in madden..

good wide receivers are a dime a dozen with the rules they put in place over the past decade.imo,neither edwards or holmes are "elite".but very good.do you really want to pay elite $ to a very good receiver?revis and nnamdi are truly elite.not saying run out and sign nnamdi to a record breaker,but if he can be had for $1 under revis contract,its a no brainer.

Further, the franchise tag number for WR's is projected to be just under $12M, while the CB number is over $14M.

Do people here really think it's the smart move to spend more on a #2 CB than a #1 WR? Which player is more likely to hit (or exceed) their respective franchise number, Holmes or Aso?

This "best CB tandem in history" fantasy has really gone to people's heads. I'd rather blow some cash on Kiwanuka coming off the bench to attack the QB than break the bank on a #2 CB.

Revis makes $16.5 mil. That's the market.

Revis had a contract worth about 13 per year... this has already been figured out long before this thread...

Lets go with your # though... lets say 16.5 is the market...

Now lets deduct for Aso being 30.... coming from the Raiders... never winning sh*t... and quite frankly never proving he can be great on a great team.

Sure that is all speculation... but it is as valid as your 16.5 # and assuming he deserves it.

this is my biggest disagreement with not signing aso..

with him, the most innovative/aggressive defensive mind in pro football (who loves corners) would make it look like cheating online in madden..

Then there's no point in discussing it. He would be a waste. Much less expensive players could do a comparable job at the #2 CB spot, while that money would be better put to use on other areas of the team that really need it.

Then there's no point in discussing it. He would be a waste. Much less expensive players could do a comparable job at the #2 CB spot, while that money would be better put to use on other areas of the team that really need it.

Slats, can't you see how much better this team will be when Nnamdi takes all those great #2 receivers in our division out of commission!?! Like, um. Uh. Um. Um. Um. Um.

I don't agree.

All of those QB's have TE's and/or slot guys and/or RB's that they can throw to all day while we have $30M worth of CB's covering their top two WR's. Nnamdi does not bring the option to drop less people into coverage because most #2 CB's should be able to handle most #2 WR's. It's not the same as Revis being able to shut down #1's all by himself.

The Jets dee is way ahead of the offense. Has been for a while. You want to tip that imbalance further by downgrading at WR and upgrading at CB? I don't. As a general rule, championship teams have potent to explosive offenses. Go down the list, the 2000 Ravens are the rare exception, and the Jets don't have that kind of defense today, and still won't with Aso on board. The Jets understood that when they traded up for Sanchez. They need to continue to understand it next week. The team's #1 WR needs to be the priority way before the team's #2 CB. Tom Moore is great, but they need the horses on the field.

And does this plan of yours include holding onto Braylon? You think the team can sign Edwards, Aso, and Lance Moore? Or are we replacing both starting WR's with one 5'9" guy? :blink:

My plan keeps Braylon Signs Lance Moore and Aso. I do not think Moore will take as much money as Holmes and yes I think hes a much better all around WR. If we sign Cro and Holmes we might be in the same place if we sign Moore and Aso so Ill take Moore and Aso all day long .

Revis had a contract worth about 13 per year... this has already been figured out long before this thread...

Lets go with your # though... lets say 16.5 is the market...

Now lets deduct for Aso being 30.... coming from the Raiders... never winning sh*t... and quite frankly never proving he can be great on a great team.

Sure that is all speculation... but it is as valid as your 16.5 # and assuming he deserves it.

Dude. He's by far the best UFA available. More than half the league has to spend millions to get to the cap floor. Nobody is getting a discount on Asomugha.

Slats, can't you see how much better this team will be when Nnamdi takes all those great #2 receivers in our division out of commission!?! Like, um. Uh. Um. Um. Um. Um.

Once again we are a playoff team, why are you so worried about the regular season ? Perenial playoff teams dont worry about what it takes to get to the playoffs they worry about what it takes to win in the playoffs. Teams that are on the brink of getting into the playoffs have a much different outlook, but we are NOT in that class anymore the Jets have been a legit SB contenders for 2 years now. The Jets have to consistently beat teams like the Colts, Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, Steelers .... They are not worried about the clevelands or miamis of the world. Every one of those teams listed are worried about playoff contenders not the perenial scrubs they play during the year. Remember what we did to Brady and Manning last year ? Well dont think for a second those teams wont be thinking about that as well.

@Slats I fully understand your stance on the offense and I agree with it I do think we need to make improvements and give Sanchez as many weapons as we can and to be 100 % honest I think a player like Lance Moore will bring this team an extremely good Slot reciever that will make our offense better. Im not a Holmes fan and I never will be sorry but if that guy does not have that SB mvp hes a freakin Jag he drops the ball, he fumbles the ball at an alarming rate and hes afraid to go over the middle and his blocking is nothing to be desired. Lance does all those things well and he has as good if not better stats. So if Braylon Takes less and Aso would sign in the 11-12 range I think we can make the three work. Edwards, Moore, Aso .

why do people act like having the two best corners in the league on a team that runs like 66% man a bad thing?

you guys say stuff about tightends and running backs, and blah blah but those guys get open because defenders are holding off the deeper routes, if you have two cbs that can shut down digs and drives then lb's and safeties can zero in on the short dump offs. no team is going to consistently nickle and dime us up and down the field throwing to rb's and te's. and the field position we would gain from how good our defense would be would help the offense.

i mean obviously their is good and bad no matter who we sign and look into.. lets just agree that we're actually confident we have a front office that is going to do everything they can to make sure our team is better than it was last year

My plan keeps Braylon Signs Lance Moore and Aso. I do not think Moore will take as much money as Holmes and yes I think hes a much better all around WR. If we sign Cro and Holmes we might be in the same place if we sign Moore and Aso so Ill take Moore and Aso all day long .

I don't think there's that kind of money available. Aso alone is getting a deal in the $15M/year or more range. Edwards should be in the $7-8M/year range with a discount. Lance Moore will be expecting millions, too, although I think you have him rated higher than the average GM. Tough to fairly evaluate how a slot receiver from a dome passing team will translate to a starting role in the Meadowlands.

I'll pass on Aso all day long. Get one of the next tier CB's if you need one, and maybe a safety or a pass rusher.

The Jets have to consistently beat teams like the Colts, Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, Steelers ....

Every one of those teams can attack the Jets with their TE's, and there's nothing that Aso can bring to the table that can stop that. If anything, I think he'd be a detriment because of his cap cost (which will be in excess of $15M/year, I don't care how much he has or wants to play here). Spend that money on a pass rusher and/or a safety instead along with a second tier CB. Now you're onto something.

cool..

but we may still get a chance to revisit this debate once aso is a jet.. ;)

Every one of those teams can attack the Jets with their TE's, and there's nothing that Aso can bring to the table that can stop that. If anything, I think he'd be a detriment because of his cap cost (which will be in excess of $15M/year, I don't care how much he has or wants to play here). Spend that money on a pass rusher and/or a safety instead along with a second tier CB. Now you're onto something.

Yes there is something Aso can bring. If you remember last year in the playoffs Revis Covered the TE a few times on critical 3rd downs having Aso gives Rex/Pettine the chance to get even more creative. I think if we cant sign Aso (who I do not think will get 15 per, more like 11 or 12) We go with Wilson and go after an even better WR ... I want Cro and Holmes out of here I dont like stupid players and both made their share of bonehead plays and Cro is one dimentional dumb. On many occasions Holmes seemed to run the wrong route sure you can say It might have been Sanchez but I doubt it since he puts in the study time I think Holmes lacks.

Oh and BTW just for the record I think Pettine is extremely underrated i think Rex gets the majority of the credit because of his flamboyant personality but Pettine seems like a pretty sharp dude and I bet his role is bigger than most might think. I knd of like the fact he is under the radar because it keeps him here rather than getting a head coaching opportunity elsewhere.

why do people act like having the two best corners in the league on a team that runs like 66% man a bad thing?

you guys say stuff about tightends and running backs, and blah blah but those guys get open because defenders are holding off the deeper routes, if you have two cbs that can shut down digs and drives then lb's and safeties can zero in on the short dump offs. no team is going to consistently nickle and dime us up and down the field throwing to rb's and te's. and the field position we would gain from how good our defense would be would help the offense.

i mean obviously their is good and bad no matter who we sign and look into.. lets just agree that we're actually confident we have a front office that is going to do everything they can to make sure our team is better than it was last year

Good Post :)

Yes there is something Aso can bring. If you remember last year in the playoffs Revis Covered the TE a few times on critical 3rd downs having Aso gives Rex/Pettine the chance to get even more creative. I think if we cant sign Aso (who I do not think will get 15 per, more like 11 or 12) We go with Wilson and go after an even better WR ... I want Cro and Holmes out of here I dont like stupid players and both made their share of bonehead plays and Cro is one dimentional dumb. On many occasions Holmes seemed to run the wrong route sure you can say It might have been Sanchez but I doubt it since he puts in the study time I think Holmes lacks.

Oh and BTW just for the record I think Pettine is extremely underrated i think Rex gets the majority of the credit because of his flamboyant personality but Pettine seems like a pretty sharp dude and I bet his role is bigger than most might think. I knd of like the fact he is under the radar because it keeps him here rather than getting a head coaching opportunity elsewhere.

i like pettine as well..

i've seen him interviewed many times & he does come off as a sharp guy..

i would still be shocked if the defensive game plans truly don't run through rex though..

You usually seem more level-headed. I'm surprised that you're interested in having the Jets explore Aso. It's just not a practical move. I do not see the benefit of having a great CB covering #2 WR's all year, while TE's and slot receivers continue to cause the Jets problems. Aso's a much better player than Cromartie, but will his presence really make that much of a difference in that role? I don't think so. Plus, can you imagine the contract problems they'll have when Revis hits the last two years of his deal vs. the contract it takes to get Aso here? Ugh. So yes, I do think that "best option," would be a bad thing. I do not see it as the best option for the Jets at all. There are other CB options available in FA if the Jets don't think last year's #1 pick is ready for a starting role.

pool played poorly to average to start the season but played really well the second half.to say weddle would be a MAJOR upgrade is a stretch.

you also keep claiming that even with nnamdi, the jets would still get eaten up by slot,tight end, and backs.how so? 8 against 2 or 3?

No you don't. Revis is four years younger and better than Aso. No reason to ever get yourself in that position.

I think you're smarter than your typing skills, but your typing skills really need to start picking up the pace. At least hit the goddamned space bar after punctuation. Thank you.

That said, the bold above is exactly what the Jets do. That's what makes Revis so valuable, the fact that he can eliminate the opposition's #1 receiving threat all by himself. If the Jets signed Aso to be their #2 CB, he damn well better be able to handle #2 WR's all day long. Cromartie was able to. I'd expect a guy like Chris Carr or Josh Wilson to be able to, too.

Your post is wildly contradictory. In one breath, you say that almost every NFL team needs four guys to cover two WR's, then you say that good WR's are a dime a dozen. The level of CB play in this league must really suck then. :lol:

i think you need to read my post again.the jets dont cover man with both corners. yes revis can cover the #1 target by himself, but they tried that with cro and got burned. with cro they needed safety help

even good corners cant cover 1 on 1. not because they suck but because of the rules favor the receiver. you should know this

Archived