Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

Question: we had a top-ten CB playing opposite Revis this past year. The year before that, we had blech. Both years, the Jets finished top-5 in total dee. So what difference is having Nnamdi (at $15m per) going to make over there? If the scheme didn't change for Cro, it's not going to change for Nnamdi. It's not like Rex is sitting on a giant blitz package that he really wanted to use but couldn't because he.was afraid that Brian Hartline and Anthony Gonzalez were going to burn Cromartie.

Yeah... Rex certainly wouldn't be able to think anything new up... same old Rex...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When he was on an island he was getting abused by BMarshall.

What about the other 17 games?

The Jets were like last in the league in interceptions as well I believe.

And I'm sure Asomugha's zero interceptions last year would've made a difference in the Jets' totals. NNamdi had 8 int's in '06, and has had 3 over the other seven years of his career. I think we should gut the team's WR corps and sign this guy. He'll make a huge difference. :rolleyes:

And I'm sure Asomugha's zero interceptions last year would've made a difference in the Jets' totals. NNamdi had 8 int's in '06, and has had 3 over the other seven years of his career. I think we should gut the team's WR corps and sign this guy. He'll make a huge difference. :rolleyes:

Well I never said that, but Cromartie is certainly replaceable.

Shutdown corners usually don't have a ton of INTs because the ball rarely gets thrown in their direction.

Shutdown corners usually don't have a ton of INTs because the ball rarely gets thrown in their direction.

I know the drill. I also know Revis had more int's in his first three years in the league than Nnamdi has has over his entire career - even with that one monster 8 pick season. I guess he wasn't a shutdown corner that year.

Using the INT's in your argument takes away all of your credibility. Take a peek and see how many Revis had last year.

Well I never said that, but Cromartie is certainly replaceable.

I agree. I think he could be replaced by a lot of guys who aren't considered to be the #1 UFA in this abbreviated offseason, and the Jets defense would continue to be successful.

I agree. I think he could be replaced by a lot of guys who aren't considered to be the #1 UFA in this abbreviated offseason, and the Jets defense would continue to be successful.

I'm actually with you on this. I'm not sold that this would make our defense all that much better.

Haloti Ngata or DeMarcus Ware would make this defense insane - unfortunately, I don't seen either of those moves happening either.

Using the INT's in your argument takes away all of your credibility. Take a peek and see how many Revis had last year.

You've never had any credibility, so what do I care?

Someone mentioned lack of Jets int's in the lets sign NNamdi thread, I replied that he's not likely to help in that regard. He's still an overpriced luxury the Jets don't need and can't afford. That portion of my argument hasn't changed.

You've never had any credibility, so what do I care?

Someone mentioned lack of Jets int's in the lets sign NNamdi thread, I replied that he's not likely to help in that regard. He's still an overpriced luxury the Jets don't need and can't afford. That portion of my argument hasn't changed.

Aso and Revis could be INT machines if they were thrown to... and if they were both back there together the opportunities would grow for sure.

Also you do not know he is over priced, nor do you know if he is a luxury.

...for all we know Cro is only going to draw 2-3 million less and Rex might think Aso is necessary.

I'm actually with you on this. I'm not sold that this would make our defense all that much better.

Haloti Ngata or DeMarcus Ware would make this defense insane - unfortunately, I don't seen either of those moves happening either.

Obviously we have to hope that the two DL they just picked up eventually have that kind of impact.

I'd love for the Jets to make a move for Kiwanuka.

Should be an awesome week!

Obviously we have to hope that the two DL they just picked up eventually have that kind of impact.

I'd love for the Jets to make a move for Kiwanuka.

Should be an awesome week!

Holy crap! I didn't realize he was an FA!

I'd really like Shaun Ellis back, if nothing more than to have some veteran presence and leadership on that line. Plus I really think the dude can still play and I'd love to see him finish his career as Jet as he's been one of my all-time favorites.

Aso and Revis could be INT machines if they were thrown to... and if they were both back there together the opportunities would grow for sure.

Also you do not know he is over priced, nor do you know if he is a luxury.

...for all we know Cro is only going to draw 2-3 million less and Rex might think Aso is necessary.

I know both of those things. Sorry if you're behind the curve.

I'm not in love with Cromartie, either. I think he's thinking he's worth more than he really is, too. He was a YouTube joke with his performance on Shonn Greene's TD run in the playoffs two years ago, now he's looking for some elite coin? I think he's going to find the market for his services to be about as depressing as the housing market. I'd rather let him walk and pick up one of the guys from the Ravens. Guys who will come in $5-6M or more less than Aso, and do a comparable job in the #2 CB spot on this team.

Holy crap! I didn't realize he was an FA!

I'd really like Shaun Ellis back, if nothing more than to have some veteran presence and leadership on that line. Plus I really think the dude can still play and I'd love to see him finish his career as Jet as he's been one of my all-time favorites.

I think the lockout helps Ellis' cause here. I want him back, too. He's still a good player, and all the kids on the Jets DL could use his veteran presence.

I'm not in love with Cromartie, either. I think he's thinking he's worth more than he really is, too. He was a YouTube joke with his performance on Shonn Greene's TD run in the playoffs two years ago, now he's looking for some elite coin? I think he's going to find the market for his services to be about as depressing as the housing market. I'd rather let him walk and pick up one of the guys from the Ravens. Guys who will come in $5-6M or more less than Aso, and do a comparable job in the #2 CB spot on this team.

I really don't want Cromartie back at any price. Let him sign elsewhere and let the Jets get the third-round compensatory pick in next year's draft.

How much do you think Aso will cost?

As far as the "luxury" goes, obviously this has a lot to do with cost but when you can upgrade you upgrade.

How much do you think Aso will cost?

As far as the "luxury" goes, obviously this has a lot to do with cost but when you can upgrade you upgrade.

Conservatively? I think you can say Aso will sign for roughly $12M/year.

The Jets already have the highest paid CB in the league, they don't need to have the two highest paid CB's in the league. That's the very definition of unnecessary luxury. It'd be nice to sign Mike Vick to back up Sanchez and maybe run the wildcat for us once in a while, but I'm thinking that money could be put to better use somewhere else on the team, too.

The Jets defense runs very well regardless of the guy at the #2 CB position. Much better than the offense would run without a #1 WR, for example.

The Jets already have the highest paid CB in the league, they don't need to have the two highest paid CB's in the league. That's the very definition of unnecessary luxury. It'd be nice to sign Mike Vick to back up Sanchez and maybe run the wildcat for us once in a while, but I'm thinking that money could be put to better use somewhere else on the team, too.

The Jets defense runs very well regardless of the guy at the #2 CB position. Much better than the offense would run without a #1 WR, for example.

The JETS would be happy to pay Aso 12... if they did that they could sign Edwards/Aso

Mike Vick? Wildcat? Aso would be on the field for every defensive snap, not a gimmick.

Rex has never had a guy like Revis and raves all the time about how he allows him to do things he only dreamed of... you don't think he would have even more ability to create defenses with Aso and Revis?

Sure the D runs well, but when you can upgrade you do.

Here's an interesting monkey wrench to this conversation: say the Jets think Wilson can start, then they can go after a nickel CB to replace Wilson and can you see them going after a Dawan Landry? He'd be a major upgrade at safety at a much lower cost than a starting corner.

If he takes $12 mil the first year, he'll never recoup that money. He's going to get paid up front, you know? No one's back-loading a deal for a 30 year-old corner.

If he takes $12 mil the first year, he'll never recoup that money. He's going to get paid up front, you know? No one's back-loading a deal for a 30 year-old corner.

The only figure that I care about as a fan is the cap number. What he actually gets up front is immaterial as to whether or not you can fit him under the cap.

I always wondered how much Rex liked Landry. Didn't he get hurt and have trouble getting his job back from Leonhard? I honestly don't remember, but he's somebody I'd be interested in.

Kiwanuka would be an excellent pickup, but he is the definition of luxury player. He is constantly hurt. There is no chance of him being an every down DE on this team. At OLB he would make Jason Taylor look good in pass coverage. He's the kind of pass rusher that we all want, but he has a lot of trouble staying on the field and I think his latest injury is considered pretty serious.

I know guys like Slats think that I am being "unreasonable" for advocating they seriously consider Asomugha, but for me the difference is this: Asomugha would be coming in at a position where they are going to be spending money anyway and will be a direct, every down replacement for Cromartie and he will be an improvement in every way. How much that improvement is worth is open for debate. Kiwanuka is the kind of guy that will come in and it will be very unlikely that he will be able to last the season, so if they cut a Bryan Thomas (which would probably only cover 1/2 to 1/3 of his salary) they will spend time stuck with Westerman getting significant time. Kiwanuka would be replacing Taylor from last year's team.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have Kiwanuka and like Asomugha they should kick the tires. The guys injury concerns may keep his price reasonable enough to roll the dice. It's unlikely either signs with the Jets.

The JETS would be happy to pay Aso 12... if they did that they could sign Edwards/Aso

Mike Vick? Wildcat? Aso would be on the field for every defensive snap, not a gimmick.

Rex has never had a guy like Revis and raves all the time about how he allows him to do things he only dreamed of... you don't think he would have even more ability to create defenses with Aso and Revis?

Sure the D runs well, but when you can upgrade you do.

For the gazillionth time, Rex loves Revis because he can shut down elite WR's all on his own. That's a rare trait. Many starting CB's can be effective in man coverage on #2 WR's. You do not need to have the second best CB in the league handling those duties for you. Not when you can get a very good player handling those duties for less than half that, leaving you enough money to add a few guys in the Pouha/Leonard salary range of $2.5M a year. That's how you build a team under the salary cap. Not with your two starting CB's eating up 20% of the team's salary cap. That's absurd.

The only figure that I care about as a fan is the cap number. What he actually gets up front is immaterial as to whether or not you can fit him under the cap.

That would be the cap hit. Iirc, Revis gets $8 mil base, $8 mil bonus or thereabouts.

For the gazillionth time, Rex loves Revis because he can shut down elite WR's all on his own. That's a rare trait. Many starting CB's can be effective in man coverage on #2 WR's. You do not need to have the second best CB in the league handling those duties for you. Not when you can get a very good player handling those duties for less than half that, leaving you enough money to add a few guys in the Pouha/Leonard salary range of $2.5M a year. That's how you build a team under the salary cap. Not with your two starting CB's eating up 20% of the team's salary cap. That's absurd.

With...

Revis

Aso

Wilson

You can now round out the bottom with guys who cost 1-2 million less than guys who might need to step all the way up to #2.

We can spin it 100 different ways...

Kiwanuka would be an excellent pickup, but he is the definition of luxury player. He is constantly hurt. There is no chance of him being an every down DE on this team. At OLB he would make Jason Taylor look good in pass coverage. He's the kind of pass rusher that we all want, but he has a lot of trouble staying on the field and I think his latest injury is considered pretty serious.

Pass rush here is a genuine need, not a luxury. If he could get on the field about as often as John Abraham, and be about as productive as John Abraham, he'd be an excellent addition. But obviously, he'd have to be paid in such a way that reflects his difficulties staying on the field.

People in this thread talking about what Rex could do with Aso and Revis (which I really don't think would be much more than he did with Cro), but can you imagine what he and Pettine could unleash with a guy like Kiwi? They could put him anywhere on the field a la Jevon Kearse in his prime. Down lineman, OLB, left, right, or center. It would be a nightmare for opposing offenses.

With...

Revis

Aso

Wilson

You can now round out the bottom with guys who cost 1-2 million less than guys who might need to step all the way up to #2.

We can spin it 100 different ways...

I don't even know what you're talking about. Do you? Are you really trying to justify 1/5 of your payroll going to your starting CB's? You really think an elite #2 CB is going to make that much of a difference?

No way. It's stupid. Jets should make a call just to be nice to Revis and Nnamdi, then move right the fvck on.

I don't even know what you're talking about. Do you? Are you really trying to justify 1/5 of your payroll going to your starting CB's? You really think an elite #2 CB is going to make that much of a difference?

No way. It's stupid. Jets should make a call just to be nice to Revis and Nnamdi, then move right the fvck on.

The point is I think Tanny can make the amount spent on CB's similar with or without Aso...

He has to have a # he wants to spend on the position... and if you are within a few million WITH Aso... you do the deal.

let me ask you a question.what does a guy like ngata or ware do for a defense that revis does not?one allowes more guys in coverage and one allows more guys to rush the passer.only difference is guys like revis and nnamdi are a lock.just about guaranteed.where as the dbricks and the mangolds of the world neutralize the ngatas and wares of the world.imo,a true lock down corner is more valuable than an elite pass rusher

this is why there is a laundry list of elite pass rushers and a list of 2 lock down corners in the league

let me ask you a question.what does a guy like ngata or ware do for a defense that revis does not?one allowes more guys in coverage and one allows more guys to rush the passer.only difference is guys like revis and nnamdi are a lock.just about guaranteed.where as the dbricks and the mangolds of the world neutralize the ngatas and wares of the world.imo,a true lock down corner is more valuable than an elite pass rusher

There are very few D'Bricks in this league and even fewer Mangolds. Mangold is one of maybe 3 centers in the game that can take on a top NT without help.

Not to mention that we already have Revis. If we didn't have Revis I'd be all over Nmadi. But we have a shutdown corner. We don't really need another one to cover #2 receivers. We need a solid cover corner who can play bump and run.

A Ngata or Ware would be more complimentary pieces to a defense that already has Darrelle Revis rather than pricey overkill which is all Nmadi brings to the table if you are the Jets.

Archived