Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point is I think Tanny can make the amount spent on CB's similar with or without Aso...

He has to have a # he wants to spend on the position... and if you are within a few million WITH Aso... you do the deal.

I think I'm done with you. You obviously have no idea what the salary cap is about. The Jets shouldn't be spending $12M on a second CB. Hell, they shouldn't be spending more than $4M or so on a second CB.

This few million you keep throwing around is in reality a huge number. Do you realize that the Jets only have 16 guys currently under contract for over $1M/year? Aso alone vs. $4M starting CB + two guys like Pouha, Leonard, Cotchery, DeVito, etc. It's no contest. You need those upper-middle class guys on your roster. They're your bread & butter. To gut that portion of your roster to sign a #2 CB as the third highest paid player on your team is stupid. It just is.

Can't wait 'til this 30 year old superstar CB is making a sh*tload of money from some other team.

let me ask you a question.what does a guy like ngata or ware do for a defense that revis does not?one allowes more guys in coverage and one allows more guys to rush the passer.only difference is guys like revis and nnamdi are a lock.just about guaranteed.where as the dbricks and the mangolds of the world neutralize the ngatas and wares of the world.imo,a true lock down corner is more valuable than an elite pass rusher

this is why there is a laundry list of elite pass rushers and a list of 2 lock down corners in the league

The difference is an elite pass rusher, theoretically, has the ability to disrupt an opposing teams entire pass offense. An elite cb, at best, can eliminate a single receiving threat. Not to say Revis is not incredibly valuable, because he is, but when you already have one, that rusher is far more valuable than a second shutdown cb, as the best you can hope for from him is shutting down a #2 WR.

I don't even know what you're talking about. Do you? Are you really trying to justify 1/5 of your payroll going to your starting CB's? You really think an elite #2 CB is going to make that much of a difference?

No way. It's stupid. Jets should make a call just to be nice to Revis and Nnamdi, then move right the fvck on.

you are in agreement that the jets should resign harris? 16m invested in 2 inside linebackers? one of the easiest positions to fill?

Question: we had a top-ten CB playing opposite Revis this past year. The year before that, we had blech. Both years, the Jets finished top-5 in total dee. So what difference is having Nnamdi (at $15m per) going to make over there? If the scheme didn't change for Cro, it's not going to change for Nnamdi. It's not like Rex is sitting on a giant blitz package that he really wanted to use but couldn't because he.was afraid that Brian Hartline and Anthony Gonzalez were going to burn Cromartie.

The difference is the year before we got torched in the AFCCG . Im telling you when the damn playoffs start the regular season goes down the toilet ....WHY? because every team you play in the playoffs is pretty damn solid and usually have damn good QB's with good to great players at the skill positions.

If we can pull off an Aso signing and dump Cro and Holmes then sign a solid WR we will be set.

I think the DL will play with High energy and a damn good rotation keeping them all fresh with Aso here I know for a fact we can get even more creative on Defense and possibly put up all time great numbers. In the same class as the 85 bears, 86 giants, 2000 ravens yes with Aso I think we can be that type of dominating defense.

Oh and Aso knows what our situation is dont think him and his agent are not weighing all the options and where teams stand. If he really wants to come to the Jets he knows damn well hes NOT getting 15 per. So why would he make the statement of playing for the Jets ? Possibly leverage with other teams or possibly the fact the guy wants a SB ring to go along with his great career.

And to address your concernes of playing teams with lesser #2 WR's and great TE's I can guarantee you that will not be an issue since Revis (as I sated before) was on the TE vs NE on critical 3rd and longs. TE's will not be a factor l;ike they were in previous years nor will Slot Recievers since I think Wilson will be that much better this year

Guest Jpf4671

I'm sure this point was covered somewhere in this long thread but us getting over the hump is mainly tied to Sanchez,..Rex's defense with or without Aso will most likely be good enough to win with,..that being said I'd invest more in the offense right now.

The difference is the year before we got torched in the AFCCG . Im telling you when the damn playoffs start the regular season goes down the toilet ....WHY? because every team you play in the playoffs is pretty damn solid and usually have damn good QB's with good to great players at the skill positions.

If we can pull off an Aso signing and dump Cro and Holmes then sign a solid WR we will be set.

I think the DL will play with High energy and a damn good rotation keeping them all fresh with Aso here I know for a fact we can get even more creative on Defense and possibly put up all time great numbers. In the same class as the 85 bears, 86 giants, 2000 ravens yes with Aso I think we can be that type of dominating defense.

Oh and Aso knows what our situation is dont think him and his agent are not weighing all the options and where teams stand. If he really wants to come to the Jets he knows damn well hes NOT getting 15 per. So why would he make the statement of playing for the Jets ? Possibly leverage with other teams or possibly the fact the guy wants a SB ring to go along with his great career.

And to address your concernes of playing teams with lesser #2 WR's and great TE's I can guarantee you that will not be an issue since Revis (as I sated before) was on the TE vs NE on critical 3rd and longs. TE's will not be a factor l;ike they were in previous years nor will Slot Recievers since I think Wilson will be that much better this year

To scare the living sh*t out of the Pats or Dolphins to pony up 15 million per year to keep him off the Jets?

you are in agreement that the jets should resign harris? 16m invested in 2 inside linebackers? one of the easiest positions to fill?

Not particularly. But all the money the Jets have tied up in Pace, Scott, and now Harris -as well as Revis- makes signing Aso an even worse idea.

Why would Nnamdi list us as his premium destination if he wasn't willing to take somewhat of a discount?

He has to be aware that guys like Holmes, Braylon, and Cromartie are up for new deals and we're not just going to let all of them walk.

Like I said before, if it came down to us offering him $10-12 million a year versus a team like the Texans or Bucs offering him $13-15 million a year, I think he would be inclined to sign with us.

Aso said over a year ago that he and Revis have frequently talked about playing together. Those guys would immediately become the greatest CB tandem in league history and there's no doubt that we're in better position to win a Superbowl than Houston or Tampa Bay.

It's not like Nnamdi has been playing on a rookie deal and is looking to cash in beyond all else (like Holmes and Cromartie). The guy has been one of the highest paid players in the league during his tenure in Oakland and has yet to experience a single winning season in his entire professional career.

And lets be serious, would a huge move like this honestly surprise any of us with Mike Tannenbaum at the helm?

He might take a discount, but even discounted Nmandi money is WAY TOO MUCH for us to afford without sacrificing half the team. It's irrelevant that him and Revis want to play together. That's not going to make Tanny blow our entire cap on a second #1 CB when A) Cromartie will be cheaper, and B) it will hurt the offense which is unquestionably a HUGE concern considering their struggles last year.

i also believe you're downplaying what rex would do with the two best corners in football, on the field at the same time

Nobody's downplaying that. Ok, great so the defense gets even better, but what good does that do if we can't score a touchdown? I'm sorry but offense is priority this off season, not defense. It has been our weakest link for a while now. Rex isn't going to want to sacrifice almost our entire scoring game just to get another top CB. We have one of those and that's all we need. Cro won't get nearly close to the same money as Asa, plus he comes with plenty of baggage, which reduces his market value. This rumors are simply absurd because of that. Our defense ain't getting better if we can't sign Harris, and our offense isn't going to get better if we lose Holmes, Edwards, and more.

come on slats,you know football better than that.there is not 1 team in the league that puts their #1 corner on the #1 receiver and the #2 corner on the #2 receiver.the jets cant even do that with revis.the more likely scenario is to double the #1 receiver and have your #1 corner cover the #2 receiver with safety help.30 teams in the league use this formula the majority of the time.4 guys need to cover 2 receivers.the jets and the raiders can do it with 3.just playing devils advocate here,but if the jets sign nnamdi,they can cover 2 guys with 2 guys,escentially giving the jets a 2 defender advantage over evey team in the league

But 30 teams in the league DO NOT have Revis. Revis was consistantly covering #1 receivers all year, because he takes them out of the game. Putting him on #2 then doubling the #1 defeats the purpose of even having a shutdown corner. We were pretty good with Revis covering #1 and Cro covering #2 WITHOUT needing to double. We were still 4th best defense in the league with this setup, although we did have some pass rushing issues, but that is separate from our CB tandem.

He might take a discount, but even discounted Nmandi money is WAY TOO MUCH for us to afford without sacrificing half the team. It's irrelevant that him and Revis want to play together. That's not going to make Tanny blow our entire cap on a second #1 CB when A) Cromartie will be cheaper, and B) it will hurt the offense which is unquestionably a HUGE concern considering their struggles last year.

Cromartie will be 2-3 mil cheaper you think thats such a big issue ? If a guy like Aso signes in the 12 mil range with the Jets (like I think he will) Cro will want around 9 mil. If Aso Signs for 15 mil with the Texans which is possible Cro will want in the 12 range.Are you willing to sign Cro for 12 or deal with a long Cro holdout ? Since Cro has said he will wait to see what Aso does are you good with that option ?? Yes I do think Aso will sign with us for a reasonable amount less than other teams.

The difference is an elite pass rusher, theoretically, has the ability to disrupt an opposing teams entire pass offense. An elite cb, at best, can eliminate a single receiving threat. Not to say Revis is not incredibly valuable, because he is, but when you already have one, that rusher is far more valuable than a second shutdown cb, as the best you can hope for from him is shutting down a #2 WR.

couldnt diagree more.like i stated above,on a regular basis,guys like brick,thomas,long,and numerous others shut down elite pass rushers.these guys average 12 sacks a YEAR!!! OVER 16 GAMES!! revis and nnamdi completely eliminate their guy every game.every year.that leaves the offense 3 possible targets against 9 defenders.people say they will just eat you up with the slot,te,and running back,right?i am pretty sure they are going to need blockers.5 lineman cannot block 6 defenders with 5 in coverage when 2 are revis and nnamdi.

running game would be non existant.the jets entire front 7 is built against the run.you could escentially have 3 d lineman and 6 linebackers

smith,lowery,and digs are tweeners.they are all not fast enough to play their positions.smith becomes a very fast,hard hitting linebacker.lowery becomes a fast safety and diggs becomes a very fast linebacker.having revis & nnamdi eliminates the need for a second safety.and since most of the board is crying safety help,the nnamdi situation eliminates the need for a safety

like i said before.is it a strong reality the jets sign nnamdi?i give it a 50/50.if not move on 2 plan b.but i betcha this.if a guy like me can see the possibilities,a guy like rex has a foot long hard on and is dreuling a gallon a minute waiting for the chance that he can convince nnamdi to fly like a jet

Not particularly. But all the money the Jets have tied up in Pace, Scott, and now Harris -as well as Revis- makes signing Aso an even worse idea.

Think how bad it would be if Aso signes for 15 or 16 mil elsewhere. Cro will want 12 and Revis will hold out next year. Then where do we stand ?

If we can get Aso for 12 ....If its in any way possible we have to do it or will be in a sh!t load of trouble next year at the position. If we dare offer Cro 12, I dont even want to get into that scenario.

We know Aso wants to play here

We know Cro is waiting to see what Aso gets

Thats a bad formula

Cromartie will be 2-3 mil cheaper you think thats such a big issue ? If a guy like Aso signes in the 12 mil range with the Jets (like I think he will) Cro will want around 9 mil. If Aso Signs for 15 mil with the Texans which is possible Cro will want in the 12 range.Are you willing to sign Cro for 12 or deal with a long Cro holdout ? Since Cro has said he will wait to see what Aso does are you good with that option ?? Yes I do think Aso will sign with us for a reasonable amount less than other teams.

I'm less interested in Cro at $9M than I am in Aso at $12M. Jets do not need a #1 CB at #1 CB money as their #2 CB.

What are Chris Carr or Josh Wilson gonna sign for? Either one would be an excellent addition.

I think Cro is in for a rude awakening when it comes to contract offers.

couldnt diagree more.like i stated above,on a regular basis,guys like brick,thomas,long,and numerous others shut down elite pass rushers.these guys average 12 sacks a YEAR!!! OVER 16 GAMES!! revis and nnamdi completely eliminate their guy every game.every year.

How many QB hits do those pass rushers get? Qb pressures? How often do they force the QB to throw before he wants to, resulting in an incomplete or interception? How many times do they lead the QB to panic without doing anything?

It's not all about sacks, just like the CB position is not all about interceptions. If it were, Revis and Aso totalling zero int's between them last year would be a larger part of this discussion.

2-3 million WILL make a difference and could be the determining factor whether or not Braylon stays. When our salary cap is as tight as it is, every DOLLAR (or million) matters.

I'm less interested in Cro at $9M than I am in Aso at $12M. Jets do not need a #1 CB at #1 CB money as their #2 CB.

What are Chris Carr or Josh Wilson gonna sign for? Either one would be an excellent addition.

I think Cro is in for a rude awakening when it comes to contract offers.

Yep I agree. In any scenario I want Cro the hell out of here. If Aso is too much we can look for a guy in the 5-7 range OR we can go with Wilson.

I agree with your "Beef up the Offense" statement and I think there are ways to do that cheaper than Holmes money and even get a better player. Like I said if at all Possible I would love to see Both Holmes and Cro out of here and Aso/Moore in. It may all be wishful thinking but I think 3 WR Edwards/Cotch/Moore would be awesome for this season. I would also love to see Shott the hell out of here because I think hes a huge issue holding back the offense but thats wishful thinking as well, maybe our new consultant will have some effect on the idiot.

2-3 million WILL make a difference and could be the determining factor whether or not Braylon stays. When our salary cap is as tight as it is, every DOLLAR (or million) matters.

Yep and I think thats exactly why Braylon stays and Holmes goes

+1

$2-3M is what guys like Leonard, Pouha, and DeVito make. Adding a cheaper player at #2 CB that allows us to bring in another player(s) of that caliber should be the obvious way to go.

Yep and I think thats exactly why Braylon stays and Holmes goes

Well we certainly won't be able to afford Edwards AND Holmes AND sign Asa. It's much more realistic to sign Holmes to a longterm deal, sign Edwards to a small 1 year contract, and give Cromartie a low offer. If he's expecting to be paid like a #1 CB, he's in for a rude awakening.

Revis will hold out next year

He will???? Where do you come up with this stuff? He's the highest paid CB in the league! What the hell would he hold out for?

To scare the living sh*t out of the Pats or Dolphins to pony up 15 million per year to keep him off the Jets?

absolutely not.i have watched interviews with nnamdi,and if i ever wanted to beleive a guy wants to win more than money,this is the guy i beleive.he WILL end up with a competative team,no doubt

Ok slats lets address this scenario with 3 signings

My wish list is

Sign Braylon, Sign Aso, Sign Moore

What would you like to see happen at those positions ?

Sign Holmes, sign easter bunny, sign unicorn.

Not to mention that we already have Revis. If we didn't have Revis I'd be all over Nmadi. But we have a shutdown corner. We don't really need another one to cover #2 receivers. We need a solid cover corner who can play bump and run.

A Ngata or Ware would be more complimentary pieces to a defense that already has Darrelle Revis rather than pricey overkill which is all Nmadi brings to the table if you are the Jets.

why so he can play the receiver with safety help? having revis and nnamdi eliminates that need.i still dont understand why you dont understand the numbers game.and like another poster posted,nnamdi is real.ngata & ware are purely fantasy

Ok slats lets address this scenario with 3 signings

My wish list is

Sign Braylon, Sign Aso, Sign Moore

What would you like to see happen at those positions ?

I think Holmes should be the priority at WR. I've said a few times I like the Ravens CB's as potential, affordable replacements for Cromartie. I'd like to see them make a run at Kiwanuka and maybe a safety.

2 guys completely eliminating 2 of the 5 threats on offense.geeze man do the math.eliniating the need for safeties and at the same time offer the ability to bring more rushers and double the other receiver.god forbid wilson shows the jets anything

i said it before,i dont think harris is in the jets long term thinking

i take that back.i dont think scott AND harris are in the jets long term thinking

why so he can play the receiver with safety help? having revis and nnamdi eliminates that need.i still dont understand why you dont understand the numbers game.and like another poster posted,nnamdi is real.ngata & ware are purely fantasy

Jets played man with both CB's with Cromartie. This "needing safety help" on #2 WR's is a bunch of BS.

There's no logical reason to sign Asomugha. None. How does he help the team when they're playing the Pats three times a year for the division and in the playoffs? I don't think either CB is going to stop Welker from getting his 80 yards on 10 catches, and I think Wilson could probably do a decent job handling Branch. So what do we do? Put our second $12M CB on a TE?

Or should the $12M be spread out amongst a standard fare #2 CB, pass rusher, and safety? Which actually helps the Jets more?

Jets dee shut down the Colts in the dome with Cromartie at the #2 spot. They shut down the Chargers' high powered offense on the road two years in a row. What great advantage does Nnamdi bring to this team?

Nobody's downplaying that. Ok, great so the defense gets even better, but what good does that do if we can't score a touchdown? I'm sorry but offense is priority this off season, not defense. It has been our weakest link for a while now. Rex isn't going to want to sacrifice almost our entire scoring game just to get another top CB. We have one of those and that's all we need. Cro won't get nearly close to the same money as Asa, plus he comes with plenty of baggage, which reduces his market value. This rumors are simply absurd because of that. Our defense ain't getting better if we can't sign Harris, and our offense isn't going to get better if we lose Holmes, Edwards, and more.

But 30 teams in the league DO NOT have Revis. Revis was consistantly covering #1 receivers all year, because he takes them out of the game. Putting him on #2 then doubling the #1 defeats the purpose of even having a shutdown corner. We were pretty good with Revis covering #1 and Cro covering #2 WITHOUT needing to double. We were still 4th best defense in the league with this setup, although we did have some pass rushing issues, but that is separate from our CB tandem.

this entire post is one way thinking crap

why is this? didnt scott sign a contract to 8m per? do you thing harris would take a dime less?

This has been in the back of my mind... I am worried signing Harris could be tougher than people think...

Archived