Jamaal Westerman

Lupz27

Thomas may may be cut, but it's far from a certainty.

If he should be Westerman is an interesting question. Guy showed some flashes in 09, but last season was MIA. Might be because Jason Taylor was on the team, or it might be because he isn't that good.

It would be nice if he can play

whats his effect on the cap, Thomas that is?

No cap penalty if cut and his cap number is around 3.5 mill I would be shocked if he wasn't cut Thursday at 4:01. Won't rule him out coming back thoubat a lower number.

No cap penalty if cut and his cap number is around 3.5 mill I would be shocked if he wasn't cut Thursday at 4:01. Won't rule him out coming back thoubat a lower number.

I shouldve worded that differently, i wanted to know how much money he'd free up from the cap if he were cut. Sounds good to me, he's a JAG

I shouldve worded that differently, i wanted to know how much money he'd free up from the cap if he were cut. Sounds good to me, he's a JAG

About 3.5 mill.

I wouldn't call him a JAG cause he is very good in run stuffing, but not great in coverage or getting to the QB so he is expendable.

I dont like cutting Thomas with no obvious replacement. Westerman may or may not be able to play. the last time we saw him he was roughing the punter. We don't know that this guy can play specials let alone real defense. In his favor he's got a great skillset and the potential is there... but he's super raw. I'd rather they kept Thomas, they really don't have anyone better. It would be different if they drafted Brooks Reed or Akeem Ayers (maybe in that scenario they'd have to keep Shaun Ellis)

I dont like cutting Thomas with no obvious replacement. Westerman may or may not be able to play. the last time we saw him he was roughing the punter. We don't know that this guy can play specials let alone real defense. In his favor he's got a great skillset and the potential is there... but he's super raw. I'd rather they kept Thomas, they really don't have anyone better. It would be different if they drafted Brooks Reed or Akeem Ayers (maybe in that scenario they'd have to keep Shaun Ellis)

I agree but the money just doesn't work for him considering there is zero cap penalty in cutting him.

Same goes for LT and Brunnell

Cutting BT would be beyond idiotic. Like Bit said we have absolutely no replacement and you are all way overvaluing Westermann for no apparent reason. Our pass rush was bad enough with him last year do you realize how much worse it gets with no replacement in site? Plus he is good for stopping the run so he isn't completely useless on the field.

if they cut BT on Thursday he'll be starting for the Pats on Friday.

That's something we will just have to deal with if we want to get a WR, S, RT (Woody it's the worst kept secret in football) and a nickel back signed.

Ray Rice is just awful

Oh wow one success story from the school who was a hyped 2nd round pick compared to an anonymous undrafted free agent! By your standards Northern Colorado must be a regular football factory since Vincent Jackson went to school there.

Whats that rational behind cutting him? Dont get this at all.

You dont cut your starting OLB with absolutely nobody behind him.

Being able to sign a WR, S, RT, nickel back maybe a 2nd WR, all who will add more contributions then Thomas. If he reworks his deal to take a significant pay cut the great but if not him LT and Brunnell have to go.

Oh wow one success story from the school who was a hyped 2nd round pick compared to an anonymous undrafted free agent! By your standards Northern Colorado must be a regular football factory since Vincent Jackson went to school there.

Kenny Britt is a good player. You seem to have a beef with Rutgers, for whatever reason.

What conference Westerman played at in college has zero to do with his ability to play at the NFL at this point.

Thomas plays a position where you'd expect him to be making plays and hearing his name often. That never happens.

I thought he played really well last year, he didnt see as many snaps as the year before with JT and Pryce here...he was really only playing OLB when we were showing 3-4 as oppossed to year before when he'd put a hand down quite a bit. He still ended up with 6 sacks and about the same number or tackles

Kenny Britt is a good player. You seem to have a beef with Rutgers, for whatever reason.

What conference Westerman played at in college has zero to do with his ability to play at the NFL at this point.

No but the fact that he has done nothing in his career so far except show flashes during preseason or training camp does. I only spoke about Rutgers because someone mentioned his stellar career there as if that had anything to do with how he would do in the NFL. If anyone thinks its a good idea to replace BT as our starter who is average but not stellar with someone who has rarely played and proven nothing needs to get their head examined. If he is your best idea for replacing BT you don't get rid of BT.

I'm an SEC guy and this is ridiculous.

Ray Rice

Kenny Britt

Devin McCourty

Gary Brackins

Shaun O'Hara

Anthony Davis

Eric Foster

all are good to very good players in the NFL. Just cuz dudes from Rutgers doesnt mean he cant hack it in the NFL.

Where did Jerry Rice go to school again?

I'm an SEC guy and this is ridiculous.

Ray Rice

Kenny Britt

Devin McCourty

Gary Brackins

Shaun O'Hara

Anthony Davis

Eric Foster

all are good to very good players in the NFL. Just cuz dudes from Rutgers doesnt mean he cant hack it in the NFL.

Where did Jerry Rice go to school again?

Again my initial point, someone said he had a good career at Rutgers. I argued that means nothing when it comes to the NFL, someone replies solely with Ray Rice, I reply sarcastically.

If anyone thinks its a good idea to replace BT as our starter who is average but not stellar with someone who has rarely played and proven nothing needs to get their head examined.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that this is a move that should be made in and of itself. The point is that the 3M put to use elsewhere may be worth more to us than the difference between Thomas and whoever his replacement would be.

Being able to sign a WR, S, RT, nickel back maybe a 2nd WR, all who will add more contributions then Thomas. If he reworks his deal to take a significant pay cut the great but if not him LT and Brunnell have to go.

I dont see Thomas, LT or Brunnell playing for a different team next year.

Seems like a bit of cutting of your nose despite your face scenario...we're a defensive team.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that this is a move that should be made in and of itself. The point is that the 3M put to use elsewhere may be worth more to us than the difference between Thomas and whoever his replacement would be.

3 million is pretty minimal especially since teams can go past this years salary cap by that amount. Our strength is in our defense, for 3 million you shouldn't be getting rid of a starter unless you have someone you know will be equal. Westermann is no sure thing and getting rid of Thomas would also kill depth at OLB if Westermann is all of the sudden the starter. We are losing Jason Taylor as well this year most likely and he was very useful taking snaps for us, we really shouldn't be getting rid of LBs like its no big deal.

Again my initial point, someone said he had a good career at Rutgers. I argued that means nothing when it comes to the NFL, someone replies solely with Ray Rice, I reply sarcastically.

Gotcha.

Thats the point but I do think its a bit of what I said above. I'd guess there would be other avenues we could take without cutting our starting OLB and nobody adequate behind him. Plus, with the constraints coaches have on time and practice, guys like Thomas who know the system can be invaluable.

No but the fact that he has done nothing in his career so far except show flashes during preseason or training camp does. I only spoke about Rutgers because someone mentioned his stellar career there as if that had anything to do with how he would do in the NFL. If anyone thinks its a good idea to replace BT as our starter who is average but not stellar with someone who has rarely played and proven nothing needs to get their head examined. If he is your best idea for replacing BT you don't get rid of BT.

So, if you apply this logic to the whole team... we'd have to field a complete team of semi-proven veterans. No rookies. No developmental players. No youth at all.

Every year new, young players take over as starters for veterans. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't... there's not much anyone can do about it, its sort of a necessity until the fountain of youth is discovered.

Archived