Packers Release Darren Sharper

Smizzy

Watch what you wish for, when I was doing the Packers free agency thing for the draft site, I saw a couple scouts say Mark Roman and Darren Sharper where the absolute worst safety tandem in the NFL last season...

Roman was horrendous (beyond bad), but Sharper wasn't all that much better--even before his minor injury...

You might be a paying a boat-load for a player the Packers want to get down close to the minumum....due to declining performance.

Sharper was almost as bad as in 1999 in 2004....That's saying a lot, considering he single handedly lost 2 games in 1999 with easy missed tackles that went for TD's and basically was the single biggest reason Ray Rhodes got fired after 1 season.

Not saying the Jets shouldn't look at Sharper. But he's going to be over 30 soon and make no mistake about it--the Packers can afford his salary, but just want to whack his salary much lower or push him out the door--due to "average play".

Jets may want to be careful before they break the bank on him. If he can bounce back he'd be a steal; if not, he's worthless and harms your cap.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/p..._20147951.shtml

Thank God for Riggins. Sharper is also in the middle of every big defensive blunder the Packers have made the last five years. NFC Championship game, Steve Young to TO--right in front of Sharper. Eagles 4th and 26, McNabb to Mitchell, right in front of Sharper.

Watch what you wish for, when I was doing the Packers free agency thing for the draft site, I saw a couple scouts say Mark Roman and Darren Sharper where the absolute worst safety tandem in the NFL last season...

Roman was horrendous (beyond bad), but Sharper wasn't all that much better--even before his minor injury...

You might be a paying a boat-load for a player the Packers want to get down close to the minumum....due to declining performance.

Sharper was almost as bad as in 1999 in 2004....That's saying a lot, considering he single handedly lost 2 games in 1999 with easy missed tackles that went for TD's and basically was the single biggest reason Ray Rhodes got fired after 1 season.

Not saying the Jets shouldn't look at Sharper. But he's going to be over 30 soon and make no mistake about it--the Packers can afford his salary, but just want to whack his salary much lower or push him out the door--due to "average play".

Jets may want to be careful before they break the bank on him. If he can bounce back he'd be a steal; if not, he's worthless and harms your cap.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/p..._20147951.shtml

Watching the Bears, I get a good look at their opponents.

Sharper is not what you think he is.

R44 is right. Sharper has definetly fallen off. I would not completely write him off, because he is not old, but his injuries have increased. I'd be very careful.

Someone will definetly take a chance on him, though. I know the Rams are talking about moving Pisa Tinoisamoa from linebacker to saftey, and moving Adam Archuleta to FS. Sharper might help, but the question is, how much would someone have to pay for him?

I have to believe that we will be looking to the draft to find our answer at SS, assuming that Rashad Washington is not our man. After the success of Erik Coleman, I think this is the way to go. I just hope we find a guy who can lay the wood, not a guy who's a pure cover safety in the mold of Herman Edwards' liking.

Someone will definetly take a chance on him, though. I know the Rams are talking about moving Pino Tiniososopa(sp?) from linebacker to saftey, and moving Adam Archuleta to FS. Sharper might help, but the question is, how much would someone have to pay for him?

Bingo Miami! That's my point exactly. Not saying he isn't worthy, but he's not a "slam dunk" improvement as some think...Matter of fact, he could make things worse if you throw too much money at him.

TS, is also right, no one around lets up all the big plays he does...His missed tackles have also been a bad deal.

If the Rams move Pisa to start at safety, coupled with Martz signing a 215 pound/washed-up Coakley and a slow Claiborne, mark them down for the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL.

Not even David Pollack's intensity will save their a$$es as the media thinks in Mizzu.

R44 beat me to the punch.

Sharper will land somewhere next season. Hopefully, It's not here.

Reggie Tongue vs Darren Sharper- 5 years ago. Sharper wins hands down.

Now, I'd rather have Tongue.

The only thing in defense of Darren is that he was surrounded by alot of poor players the last two years.

R44 beat me to the punch.

Sharper will land somewhere next season. Hopefully, It's not here.

Reggie Tongue vs Darren Sharper- 5 years ago. Sharper wins hands down.

Now, I'd rather have Tongue.

The only thing in defense of Darren is that he was surrounded by alot of poor players the last two years.

YJF, lot of awful players were around him and he had some injuries....fellow safety Mark Roman, some said, was the worst player in the NFL last season....Packers thought he'd be ideal, because he was "big CB", who was a step slow....figure move him to FS and he'll shine---not even close, he stunk....Don't even want to get started on Batman Carroll awful season :twisted:

Let fat Teddy throw big money at him in Minnesota....what kind of losers get Napeleon Harris as the NFL player in a deal for the best WR in a long time--Randy Moss?

Raiders had already demoted Harris to backup :o

Would you rather have Sharper or Darius? I'd take Darius,. strictly because of his hitting.

I would rather have Darius. Sharper can play SS and is a upgrade there but is a better FS. Darius is in the mold of R Harrison and other great hitting SS's. I hate the guy for the hit he put on Fergeson but he plays full speed and with a lot of guts.

Bingo Miami! That's my point exactly. Not saying he isn't worthy, but he's not a "slam dunk" improvement as some think...Matter of fact, he could make things worse if you throw too much money at him.

TS, is also right, no one around lets up all the big plays he does...His missed tackles have also been a bad deal.

If the Rams move Pisa to start at safety, coupled with Martz signing a 215 pound/washed-up Coakley and a slow Claiborne, mark them down for the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL.

Not even David Pollack's intensity will save their a$$es as the media thinks in Mizzu.

44, we have both watched this guy, and I think we both beleive he can still bring it. I just don't want to overpay for the guy. He has something left, but he would not be worth a truck load of cash.

I will also give him the benefit of the doubt, since Green Bay's D has been on the decline, and just fell off the past two years. No wonder their coaches got fired.

With former Fins DC Jim Bates in town now, maybe their D improves, but maybe Sharper was let go because Bates did not like what he saw on film? They do need better players there, and I think Sharper would be ok with us. Ok, not great.

Someone will overpay for him. I have a feeling he'll end up in St. Louis.

Jim Bates will help the defense Miami, just by being there. What they could really use, is some players that play hard at all times, much more than they need "workout warriors"....Sherman doesn't seem to get that.

How weak is GreenBay?

They desperately need a MLB, yet they let Hunter Hillermeyer go to Chicago...

How good did he play when Urlacher was out?

He also did well at the OLB spot....

Point? I guess talent evaluation may be a bigger problem.

I agree with the Rams angle...They are definitely looking.

Archived