Nnamdi Asomugha wasn't worth 12 million per season to begin with.

JetsFanFromQueens

Would Aso have improved our entire defense this season? Absolutely. Revis and Asomugha had the potential to form the greatest cornerback tandem since Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes of the Raiders back in the 1980's, but I'm sorry, a 30 year old CB isn't worth that type of money when it's all said and done with. In the long run, the Jets just saved about 60 million with a chance to improve our overall roster in other ways.

Lets start by locking up Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie and Davis Harris long term. That's a good start.

The only CB who should be making anything near that type of money is Darrelle Revis, at least Revis has gone man-to-man against opposing teams #1 wide outs, while Aso has always made a living off of blanketing lesser #2's on the right side of the Raiders defense. He's never done what Revis has done for the Jets, therefore he's not worth the type of money that the Eagles coughed up.

If the Eagles force Asomugha to play on an island, in man coverage, against #1 WR's... I can almost guarantee that he'll fall flat on his face when compared to what Revis has done over the years.

Would Aso have improved our entire defense this season? Absolutely. Revis and Asomugha had the potential to form the greatest cornerback tandem since Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes of the Raiders back in the 1980's, but I'm sorry, a 30 year old CB isn't worth that type of money when it's all said and done with. In the long run, the Jets just saved about 60 million with a chance to improve our overall roster in other ways.

Lets start by locking up Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie and Davis Harris long term. That's a good start.

The only CB who should be making anything near that type of money is Darrelle Revis, at least Revis has gone man-to-man against opposing teams #1 wide outs, while Aso has always made a living off of blanketing lesser #2's on the right side of the Raiders defense. He's never done what Revis has done for the Jets, therefore he's not worth the type of money that the Eagles coughed up.

If the Eagles force Asomugha to play on an island, in man coverage, against #1 WR's... I can almost guarantee that he'll fall flat on his face when compared to what Revis has done over the years.

You make a very good point.

As good as Aso is, he is a "one sided" player that teams can avoid by moving their #1 WR to the other side of the field.

Revis is a "traveler" which allows the Jets to always mark #1 with their best corner.

Not saying Aso can't do that, but he generally hasn't, so alot of those statistics that say teams don't throw at him are somewhat misleading.

I always thought he was overkill for the Jets. Get a good #2 CB, lock up Braylon, and maybe we can get a pass rusher some other way via either a trade or a late release.

The Eagles are idiots. They will sign an overpriced CB they didnt need before they pay their best player who is currently holding out.

Agreed. And now they have Samuel, Rodgers-Cromartie and Aso. Just didnt seem necessary.

The Eagles are idiots. They will sign an overpriced CB they didnt need before they pay their best player who is currently holding out.

Agree. How would you like to be DeSean Jackson. Some of the money you were hopi g would goto you goes to a guy that wasn't part of your team.

As we all know, we need an outside pass rusher opposite of Calvin Pace. What could have been with Vernon Gholston. Due to VG's lack of productivity, we're still looking for our franchise pass rusher of the future, but lets not forget, Mario Williams of the Texans is scheduled to become a free agent next offseason. Chances are the Texans hit Williams with the Franchise tag, but if not, it'll be nice knowing that we didn't break the bank on a 30 year old CB once Mario hits the open market. He'll be 27 next offseason and 28 the year after. To make a long story short, Aso won't be the last big name free agent that we're interested in.

You make a very good point.

As good as Aso is, he is a "one sided" player that teams can avoid by moving their #1 WR to the other side of the field.

Revis is a "traveler" which allows the Jets to always mark #1 with their best corner.

Not saying Aso can't do that, but he generally hasn't, so alot of those statistics that say teams don't throw at him are somewhat misleading.

I always thought he was overkill for the Jets. Get a good #2 CB, lock up Braylon, and maybe we can get a pass rusher some other way via either a trade or a late release.

You heard that on the NFL Network.

let's see what we pay for Cro before saying Aso isn't worth 12 M.

If we pay anything more than 6 M, I'd rather have paid Aso 12.

Was really dissapointed with Cro last year. Besides for a few games early in the year, he was average at best.

I'm just pissed that Aso held us hostage for so long, we probably would've got Joseph if he didn't.

• 3 months later...

As I stated with my original post, a 30 year old CB such as Aso was never worth $12,000,000 per season, especially considering the fact that he's never been a true #1 corner; such as our very own Darrelle Revis. While Aso has always made an NFL living off of blanketing lesser #2 WR's on the right side of Oakland's defense, he's now been exposed with the Eagles, as being nothing more than an above average, to good; but far from 12M per season type of greatness. Heading into week 10, I'm just thankful we went with Cromartie over an overrated #2 CB such as Aso. I think we all are.

Also, as I mentioned with my 2nd post of this thread, it'll be nice knowing that we didn't break the bank on a 30 year old CB, especially if elite talents such as Mario Williams, Matt Forte, Dwayne Bowe or Jermichael Finley hit the open market.

The Texans will likely slap the franchise tag on Mario Williams if they cannot sign him to a long-term contract. However, if he somehow slips through the cracks? Williams would then become the biggest name available on defense. Could you imagine a healthy Mario Williams as an outside pass rusher under a Rex Ryan led defense? Potential greatness.

Having Forte and Greene as a 1-2 punch is just a dream, I can't see the Bears not signing Forte long term, or allowing him to become a free agent without first hitting him with the franchise tag. But, you just never know.

The Chiefs brought in Steve Breaston and drafted Jon Baldwin in the first round. If Bowe hits the market, he'll become a hot commodity. Could you imagine a WR trio of Bowe and Holmes on the outside, with Kerley coming out of the slot? Talk about explosive weapons for Mark Sanchez.

And, I understand we have Dustin Keller, who's a very good pass catching TE... But we need to surround Mark Sanchez, our franchise QB, with as many offensive weapons as possible. You think NE has something special with Gronkowski and Hernandez? Could you imagine a two TE set that features both Keller and Finley?

To make a long story short, after watching Aso struggle with the Eagles, I believe we're all pleased we went with Cromartie after Aso left us high and dry. Come the offseason, we'll be on cloud 9 knowing that Aso went to the Eagles, while some of these FA's could be had.

I'll admit that I rarely saw Nnamdi play, but how is it all the experts thought that he was close to Revis? Not only is Revis obviously better, but at this point I'm starting to wonder whether even Cromartie of all people is a better corner. So either he was always overrated or he's just taken an absolutely preposterous nose dive this season because the dude is nothing to write home about.

I don't even know how much you can put on him at this point. Trying to compare how he's doing now in that complete sh*tshow of a defense, especially amongst the CB's, and how organized this secondary has shown to be is kind of pointless. That said, it still doesn't excuse the missed tackles, but I can't imagine he'd be struggling like this under Rex.

I don't even know how much you can put on him at this point. Trying to compare how he's doing now in that complete sh*tshow of a defense, especially amongst the CB's, and how organized this secondary has shown to be is kind of pointless. That said, it still doesn't excuse the missed tackles, but I can't imagine he'd be struggling like this under Rex.

This. Doesn't Philly play a lot of zone?

This. Doesn't Philly play a lot of zone?

That, and they just put a ton on his shoulders straight off the bat. Revis-esque actually, and Revis is the only guy in the league capable of that. Nnamdi is hands down the 2nd best CB in the league, but Philly looks to be the worst possible fit for him. He needs to be playing man. Asante is very inconsistent and DRC is nothing short of a non-communicative moron on the field, it makes it all that much worse. He's been doing this weird thing all year where he passes off his man and then just backpedals to the sideline in confusion. Just a terrible fit. I still see nothing that proves he wouldn't be awesome in this D. Philly's such a mess, say what you want about Tannenbaum, but at least he went out and got Rex a bunch of corners who can function in press coverage and fit Rex's D. If Reid wasn't going to change things up to fit his players, I don't get what the point of acquiring DRC and Aso was.

Fwiw he was actually pretty awesome in the Dallas and Skins games.

Probably not as bad here, but I think part of the problem is his reputation comes from the 2006 thru 2008 seasons when he was 25-27 years old (even though he wasnt recognized by the media until 2008 as is pretty standard when young guys come out of nowhere). During that time he was still primarily playing 1s and shutting people down. Things kind of changed in 2008. Number 1s weren't lining up on him anymore starting in 08 and by 09 teams just went away from him putting much lesser receivers on him. I believe if you look at the FO stats they were ranking like 1 or 2 in the NFL from 2006-2008 against number 1s. By 2009 they were middle of the pack across the board. I think there is something to be said for never being challenged for a few years and then assuming that the player can turn it back on again after essentially a 3 year layoff. Plus he never has had to play in any kind of pressure situation since the Raider stunk when he made a name for himself. Even though the defense isnt the best fit for him I think there is more going on than just a bad fit. I personally think he will do much better next year since good corners normally have a long shelf life and he has a year under his belt of actually playing competitive football again.

Archived