Why today was a failure

Jetme23

Let me start that these are all being overhyped and that this is just my "same ole' jets" mentality kicking back in.

1. We got played like a fiddle

2. even if we resign cro, he did sh*t last year. Teams were picking on him a lot, especially inside.

3. Braylon looks like he isnt coming back.

4. Our defense isnt exactly young

5. We put too much effort into one free agent and let too many good, young, players get signed.

6. nate clements is garbage and old.

7. Regardless of what people think, Chad johnson and albert haynseworth make a difference on a young pats team.

8. Miami, even without a decent qb has played us tough.

9. We aren't as a complete team as people make us out to be

10. Sanchez still has a lot to prove (Even though I have faith in his abilities)

11. Shonn is a good young rb, but I dont think he makes it through a season with 20+ carries a game.

12. Holmes is definitely the better reciever out of the three, but a big part of it was the threat that opposing defensive cordinators had to account for in edwards.

13. Kyle wilson has a lot to prove.

14. we have no pass rush

15. 1 of the two draft picks to address the previous issue could be deported

16. lets not forget we barely got in with the team we had last year.

One thing I do have to say about this team is that we have attitude. All thanks to a great coach. Ryan offsets a lot of our issues but he can only do so much.

Nice post by the OP, btw.

But, you forgot the root cause of the disaster: Arrogance.

Rex and Tannenbaum thought they could walk up to the most coveted free agent on the market and dazzle him with Rex's charm, Woody's money, and Tanny's accounting skills. Alas, at the end of the day they got absolutely schooled by the NFLs big boys. So much for populist charm and funky bookkeeping.

Rex and Tannenbaum thought they could walk up to the most coveted free agent on the market and dazzle him with Rex's charm, Woody's money, and Tanny's accounting skills. Alas, at the end of the day they got absolutely schooled by the NFLs big boys. So much for populist charm and funky bookkeeping.

Like weve talked about before, sometimes a humbling experience can be good. The Jets got schooled these last few days about believing their own PR machine. They disappointed a ton of fans and came out looking bad around the NFL. If they do lose Edwards and Cromartie there will be a ton of talk about them being losers this offseason and having a terrible gameplan. I dont think Id agree with it, and Im a huge Edwards supporter, but the Jets are going to get ripped the next few days for coming out of this with nothing except another Aussie punter.

Like weve talked about before, sometimes a humbling experience can be good. The Jets got schooled these last few days about believing their own PR machine. They disappointed a ton of fans and came out looking bad around the NFL. If they do lose Edwards and Cromartie there will be a ton of talk about them being losers this offseason and having a terrible gameplan. I dont think Id agree with it, and Im a huge Edwards supporter, but the Jets are going to get ripped the next few days for coming out of this with nothing except another Aussie punter.

I agree with you. In truth, I figured they were going to get it done all the way up until Jerry Jones got involved. For all the crackpot stuff that he does, Jones is still a major leaguer who you'd have to figure would cut anyone he had to off his roster to pull in any guy that he wants. Tannenbaum walked in there with too few dollars to spend, I think, tried to sell Nnamdi on the whole Rex experience as being worth leaving a few mil behind and, like a drunken gambler getting killed in a poker game, ran back to the ATM to try and find a few extra bucks to stay in the game. Like you said, humbling for all of them.

Hey T0m, shut up... I love you dude.... but shut your ******* pie hole.

Your conjecture is nothing more than salt in the wounds for some fans that don't see the big picture. The Jets may not have gotten Aso, but they didn't lose anything today. Not one thing. So talking like a loser is ******* pathetic. The reality is that Aso going to the Eagles is the best thing for the Jets. Your top 2 CBs shouldn't be making more individually than your QB. Today represents nothing more than the Jets doing what they could, WITHIN REASON. I'm happy Aso is not a Jet. NOTHING is won in July. **** the Eagles. **** the Cowboys. **** anyone else that thinks the Jets lost out on something beyond a Madden transaction today.

Take that ******* money and put it towards some combination of Braylon, Cromartie, Cullen Jenkins, James Jones, a safety and another CB like Randall Gay.

Build the team... and the team will win.

Sorry if this is dopochy. I'm quite drunk. :D

I'll be rooting for the Giants to win the NFC East, and meanwhile I'm not really worried about the Jets at all. They will handle business.

Your conjecture is nothing more than salt in the wounds for some fans that don't see the big picture. The Jets may not have gotten Aso, but they didn't lose anything today. Not one thing. So talking like a loser is ******* pathetic. The reality is that Aso going to the Eagles is the best thing for the Jets. Your top 2 CBs shouldn't be making more individually than your QB. Today represents nothing more than the Jets doing what they could, WITHIN REASON. I'm happy Aso is not a Jet. NOTHING is won in July. **** the Eagles. **** the Cowboys. **** anyone else that thinks the Jets lost out on something beyond a Madden transaction today.

Take that ******* money and put it towards some combination of Braylon, Cromartie, Cullen Jenkins, James Jones, a safety and another CB like Randall Gay.

I'm not really worried about the Jets at all. They will handle business.

I agree with the drunk Optimus Primate :D

I just don't understand what we're doing. We missed out on Aso, OK, now what? We sit on our thumbs all day? We have money to spend, why are we letting this time pass with no action?

That said... I trust in Mike T and know that he will pull off some good things before all is over. It's just that the wait is tough.

I'll be rooting for the Giants to win the NFC East, and meanwhile I'm not really worried about the Jets at all. They will handle business.

:D Love you too, dude!!

All I'm saying is, it didn't go their way for the first time in the Rex-Tannenbaum Era. They learned a lesson today. Good times.

I just don't understand what we're doing. We missed out on Aso, OK, now what? We sit on our thumbs all day? We have money to spend, why are we letting this time pass with no action?

That said... I trust in Mike T and know that he will pull off some good things before all is over. It's just that the wait is tough.

If not FIRE his a$$! :angry:

:D Love you too, dude!!

All I'm saying is, it didn't go their way for the first time in the Rex-Tannenbaum Era. They learned a lesson today. Good times.

Did they learn a lesson? Not sure... sounds like more fan conjecture and lamentation. They didn't get the #2 guy on their list. Holmes was #1, they got him. Now they will round out the roster and ******* move on towards winning games. No biggie. They emerged from the day as the front-running team that did NOT overpay for a free agent... seems to me that they played their cards right. The flip side of this is that they got half the team to consent to restructuring... so we should be fine to add players at will now.

Aso was a hindrance to moving into 2011, and a Madden-esque pursuit. There a ton of teams that havoen't gone after a sh*t ton of free agents so far... including teams like the Packers, Steelers, Colts, and Chargers... we're fine. Now we can spread money around and talent around.

Aso would have been a nice coup, for those wanting to win July... and maybe 1 Lombardi... I want sustained success that extends to when Brady either gets crippled or retires.

Also, Asomugha in Philly is like putting purified water in a douche and ramming it up a whore's pussy... I couldn't hate that thugnuts team more and they had to add a player I used to respect... ******* Raiders East. Good job Numbnuts Assomoa... you travelled 2000 miles to play for the same team.

The funniest part about it was all those posters with their long gushing odes to Rex Ryan and how everyone wants to come play for the Jets now. haha...sure, sure. The Jets can't even get Randy Moss to come in.

Nnamdi showed that he is full of crap with wanting to play with Revis and be on the Jets, obviously used the Jets to drum up interest and thinks the Eagles have a better shot. Revis will probably throw a fit that he doesn't make the most money...again...and this time I don't think a last second meeting with Rex will work.

The one guy that really wanted to be here and would take the discount is the last guy the franchise wants apparently, and nobody is completely sure why or what happened or is happening.

The vaunted 1st round draft pick from last year is an apparent bust and nobody seems to want him to start. Meanwhile our pick this year could be a felon and get deported or something.

Rex looks like a goof now. He hypes up players who then all think they're better than they are and haven't even won anything. Win a SB first, then tear apart the team, come on. Nobody should have ever talked up Revis, the guy already has a giant ego why are people reaffirming it?

I don't think the Jets necessarily need to sign anybody, but making such a fuss over Asomugha is what put the Jets in that situation. The Eagles hype up players and then pawn them off somewhere else, and then get the FAs they want without tipping off who they're going after either. The Jets are definitely being given a lesson by the big dogs.

Next year we better not draft another CB in the first round. We need offensive firepower or a pass rusher. Also both lines need to be maintained/get picks for depth at least. Fortunately I think the Jets at least keep a focus on O-line so we should be fine. Mangold, Brick and Moore should be staples for most of the next decade, but it never hurts to keep getting guys anyway just in case. I assume Ducasse and Slauson will fill the other 2 spots. If Keller isn't the TE we need, let's grab another one and that should be enough. He probably isn't good enough, for some reason he doesn't try to catch anything.

This is bullsh*t I want Cowher! Everyone's thinking it and I'm going to say it. It's time to clean house. Rex is a fraud, Tanny's a god dam pillow biter who's taking from our owner who's name might was well be Penis Cockson. I mean Jesus Christ his last name is Johnson and the guy decides to call himself Woody? I've had enough, I'm wiping my hands clean of all of this. Call me when this organization gets it's sh*t together

This is bullsh*t I want Cowher! Everyone's thinking it and I'm going to say it. It's time to clean house. Rex is a fraud, Tanny's a god dam pillow biter who's taking from our owner who's name might was well be Penis Cockson. I mean Jesus Christ his last name is Johnson and the guy decides to call himself Woody? I've had enough, I'm wiping my hands clean of all of this.

:rl:

Damn, you and visa would get along real well...

Visa hates me.

However, I consider myself a moderately intelligent football fan... and in the long run Aso to the Eagles, might be the best thing for the Jets.

Glass half full. Lots of FA's out there... upgrade all over, instead of one position. Its the hand we've been dealt.

This is not full on panic mode, after all we did make it to the afc championship game.

Im just saying that putting so much effort into one guy that wasnt going to make THAT big a difference in terms of wins was stupid.

They need to make up for it and work some magic. I wish they had some quick kind of double side deal action to pull if nnamdi didnt sign. And Quick as in, the minute he said **** you to rex they pulled the trigger and stole the headlines from philly.

The funniest part about it was all those posters with their long gushing odes to Rex Ryan and how everyone wants to come play for the Jets now. haha...sure, sure. The Jets can't even get Randy Moss to come in.

Nnamdi showed that he is full of crap with wanting to play with Revis and be on the Jets, obviously used the Jets to drum up interest and thinks the Eagles have a better shot. Revis will probably throw a fit that he doesn't make the most money...again...and this time I don't think a last second meeting with Rex will work.

The one guy that really wanted to be here and would take the discount is the last guy the franchise wants apparently, and nobody is completely sure why or what happened or is happening.

The vaunted 1st round draft pick from last year is an apparent bust and nobody seems to want him to start. Meanwhile our pick this year could be a felon and get deported or something.

Rex looks like a goof now. He hypes up players who then all think they're better than they are and haven't even won anything. Win a SB first, then tear apart the team, come on. Nobody should have ever talked up Revis, the guy already has a giant ego why are people reaffirming it?

I don't think the Jets necessarily need to sign anybody, but making such a fuss over Asomugha is what put the Jets in that situation. The Eagles hype up players and then pawn them off somewhere else, and then get the FAs they want without tipping off who they're going after either. The Jets are definitely being given a lesson by the big dogs.

Next year we better not draft another CB in the first round. We need offensive firepower or a pass rusher. Also both lines need to be maintained/get picks for depth at least. Fortunately I think the Jets at least keep a focus on O-line so we should be fine. Mangold, Brick and Moore should be staples for most of the next decade, but it never hurts to keep getting guys anyway just in case. I assume Ducasse and Slauson will fill the other 2 spots. If Keller isn't the TE we need, let's grab another one and that should be enough. He probably isn't good enough, for some reason he doesn't try to catch anything.

Asomugha talked about being a Jets for 2 years.

You are kidding yourself if you think this outcome is on Rex... this is all about agents doing what they do. Driving up price by driving up ego. If I'm the agent for Aso, there is no way in hell I let him go to a team offering less than disgusting to be the #2 CB.

Ego is an easy means to the end in making coin for agents. Aso went to a team that can win it all, sure. He also went to a team that could pay a gratuitous contract and make him the #1. Ego.

Rex and Tanny losing out on him... is actually a good example of them doing their job well. To say otherwise is ignorant. This team came into the offseason with a HUGE amount of FA's... the fact that they stuck with Aso this long was amazing. Fun ride... but really, not ideal for a team with a lot of holes to fill.

It'll work out in the end.

Asomugha talked about being a Jets for 2 years.

You are kidding yourself if you think this outcome is on Rex... this is all about agents doing what they do. Driving up price by driving up ego. If I'm the agent for Aso, there is no way in hell I let him go to a team offering less than disgusting to be the #2 CB.

Ego is an easy means to the end in making coin for agents. Aso went to a team that can win it all, sure. He also went to a team that could pay a gratuitous contract and make him the #1. Ego.

Rex and Tanny losing out on him... is actually a good example of them doing their job well. To say otherwise is ignorant. This team came into the offseason with a HUGE amount of FA's... the fact that they stuck with Aso this long was amazing. Fun ride... but really, not ideal for a team with a lot of holes to fill.

It'll work out in the end.

I still wanna burn a bag of sh*t on their porches for this. If it isnt a loss in the AFC CHmpionship its losing out on free agents. Its been a long day. ;)

I didn't want the guy and I'm glad we didn't get him-as I said last night in a thread that got merged it was a luxury aquisition and we were tying up way too much money on essentially one position. I said I wanted us to spread that money around and make improvements in 3 or 4 other positions. The good news is we can still do that.

I still wanna burn a bag of sh*t on their porches for this. If it isnt a loss in the AFC CHmpionship its losing out on free agents. Its been a long day. ;)

Understandable.

It feels like a loss now, but its July... don't forget that. Teams that win and lose in July, don't win in January.

Understandable.

It feels like a loss now, but its July... don't forget that. Teams that win and lose in July, don't win in January.

Not signing Braylon Edwards is a mystery. He worked well with this offense. What is Rex and Tanne thinking on this?

Nnamdi Asomugha - DB - Eagles

The Jets reportedly had no idea the Eagles were in the hunt for Nnamdi Asomugha "until near the end."

The Eagles cold-played 'em. The Jets believed they had "some sort of understanding" with Asomugha if not necessarily a deal, according to CBSSports' Mike Freeman. The Eagles brain trust swooped in with a "phenomenal plan" developed by GM Howie Roseman and president Joe Banner before free agency began. "(The Jets) didn't pull out," one source said. "(The Jets) lost."

Hmm... what a scumbag organization. I actually feel sorry for Donovan McNabb for wasting his career there... where they didn't pull out of the SB, they lost.

Johnathan Joseph - DB - Texans

Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer expressed extreme frustration that the team let CB Johnathan Joseph leave for Houston.

"I was pretty much told we were going to get him back," said Zimmer. "I’m upset, disappointed, frustrated. It’s disappointing. You get good guys off the field, they work hard in the weight room and on the practice field. And you kind of mold them what you want them to look like and they get out of here."

We weren't the only ones burned in this ridiculous free agency period. ******* lockout. I bet without it, we landed Aso, and had time to fit in other key role players.

Oh well.

This sh*t is rigged like WWE anyway.

Yes! Who would want to play for the Jets?

There's a short list:

-Those who want to be in the biggest city in the country with the most fun stuff to do.

-Those who want to be in the the spotlight

-Those who want to play for the unanimous pick for funniest coach in the NFL today

-Those who want to play for a team committed to spending top dollar to reach their goals

-Those who want to play for a team with a young franchise quarterback

-Those who want to play for a team with a sure bet to be a top 5 defense

-Those who want to play for a team who averages 2 playoff wins per year under the current coach (I.E. players who want to win)

-Those who want to use a top notch training facility and play in a brand new stadium

-Those who want to play for a team looking to the future, not set in the past.

Besides that, I can't think of many other reasons to sign with the Jets.

Nnamdi showed that he is full of crap with wanting to play with Revis and be on the Jets, obviously used the Jets to drum up interest and thinks the Eagles have a better shot.

Not obvious. Nnamdi showed that money played at least SOME factor in his decision, as it SHOULD.

Revis will probably throw a fit that he doesn't make the most money...again...and this time I don't think a last second meeting with Rex will work.

He has a no lockout clause, chicken little.

First time we will somewhat agree on something but you're kidding yourself if you think Braylon is the ONLY guy who wants to be on this team.

The vaunted 1st round draft pick from last year is an apparent bust

I don't see how you are a bust just because you don't shine in your first year. Ridiculous claim. He is not Gholston.

Rex looks like a goof now.

Rex looks like a coach that constantly puts his team in a position to succeed, and who came in and led a rookie QB to the AFC championship game, then again to the AFC championship game in year 2. Rex is one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL. PERIOD.

He hypes up players who then all think they're better than they are and haven't even won anything.

Absurd once again. Getting to the AFC Championship two straight years isn't "not winning anything." This phrase "anything" is stupid. If you want to say "haven't won a Superbowl" then say THAT. Then only 1/32 teams win "anything", so being one of the 31/32 isn't really shameful, hate to have to tell you that. Especially when you're consistently 1 of the FOUR.

Win a SB first, then tear apart the team, come on.

Who is tearing apart the team?

Next year we better not draft another CB in the first round. We need offensive firepower or a pass rusher.

Keep hearing we "NEED" a pass rusher. No, it would be a luxury to have one. We were 8th in the league in sacks. No team in the top 10 "NEEDS" a pass rusher. Again, it's some crazy concept people have that says coverage sacks are different than regular ones. THEY AREN'T. A sack is a sack is a sack. Pressure is pressure. Doesn't matter how it's applied.

Also both lines need to be maintained/get picks for depth at least.

Our offensive line is one of the most solid lines in the NFL today. Plus, we have depth on it.

Archived