Who Will Rush The Passer?

ThisYearsModel

Sure...makes total sense and like I said in my previous post...I'm not even going to argue that we have a true natural pass rusher...we dont.

The only problem I have with your take here, is that the Steelers and Green Bay who have beastly pass rushers...still deploy similar blitz schemes as the Jets. They overload and send a bunch, letting their best guys come free and use zones while sending extra pass rushers.

So even teams that do have serious pass rushing threats (Matthews, Harrison) they still send numbers to actually get to the Qb and hurry the pass. Its not like Rex runs that different of a defense here as he didnt Balt with Suggs. My point is, even with a beastly pass rusher...or defense is going to drastically change.

Wait...I thought Rex was a defensive genius who came up with blitz packages that no one could ever fathom.

You're telling me that the Steelers and Packers run the same blitz packages? And, not only that, but that they have superior personnel?

Wait...I thought Tanny was a genius when it came to personnel.

Sure...makes total sense and like I said in my previous post...I'm not even going to argue that we have a true natural pass rusher...we dont.

The only problem I have with your take here, is that the Steelers and Green Bay who have beastly pass rushers...still deploy similar blitz schemes as the Jets. They overload and send a bunch, letting their best guys come free and use zones while sending extra pass rushers.

So even teams that do have serious pass rushing threats (Matthews, Harrison) they still send numbers to actually get to the Qb and hurry the pass. Its not like Rex runs that different of a defense here as he did in Balt with Suggs. My point is, even with a beastly pass rusher...or defense isnt going to drastically change.

No, you're right the schemes themselves will not drastically change, but the Steelers and Packers, while they blitz frequently, almost never blitz as many as the Jets becuase the employ a lot of zone coverage which requires more coverage in the secondary, as opposed to the Jets who play almost exclusively "man to man" press.

There in lies the difference.

Same pass rush, less people rushing, more people in coverage.

But I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Wait...I thought Rex was a defensive genius who came up with blitz packages that no one could ever fathom.

You're telling me that the Steelers and Packers run the same blitz packages? And, not only that, but that they have superior personnel?

Wait...I thought Tanny was a genius when it came to personnel.

Boring...

No, you're right the schemes themselves will not drastically change, but the Steelers and Packers, while they blitz frequently, almost never blitz as many as the Jets becuase the employ a lot of zone coverage which requires more coverage in the secondary, as opposed to the Jets who play almost exclusively "man to man" press.

There in lies the difference.

Same pass rush, less people rushing, more people in coverage.

But I guess we'll agree to disagree.

We played almost exclusive zone in the playoffs. I think Rex is good enough to do whatever it takes to win.

Overall, I see your point. A beastly pass rusher would give us the flexibility to drop an extra DB in coverage. Another thing to remember though, is that the Steelers and Green Bay are also pretty formidable up front...which makes life easier on Harrison/Matthews types. I'm hoping we see Pace step it up with some youth and size up front this season.

That said, LeBeau and Capers definitely send similar overloads, but you're right, not as frequently. Which made me look up where their sacks came from last season...and even with great pass rushers...they still had a bunch of DB sacks too...much more with GB than the Steelers..

Archived