Cromartie returns to Jets (MERGED)

Vicious89x

So Cro joins the Tony Sparano club.

Gee we tried damn hard to replace you but but but........heres a contract, welcome back.

Not even close. Sparano was already the HC. Cromartie was a free agent. Also being a team's 2nd choice after a still-in-his-prime, future-HOF Nnamdi Asomugha isn't the same as being the 4th choice (at best) that Sparano was after Cowher and Gruden and even Harbaugh who's never coached a single game at this level yet.

The Jets can tell Cro, "Hey he's friggin' Nnamdi Asomugha. So what if we think he's better than you are. With the possible exception of Revis, he's better than everyone and the whole world knows it."

The Dolphins had to tell Sparano, "Well, no one else wants this job so you can still keep it."

Tanny is the man. Just an amazing job. They're loaded with Nickle and Dimes now too. Need Kyle Wilson to step up and become the man now in the slot. But Strick was also a nice signing and Cole has huge Dark Horse potential. Throw in Lowery and I really really like this group. F U Aso.

Very nice to hear. Frankly all I'm hoping for at this point is a safety who can at least compete for a starting job and there will be little to be unhappy about with this offseason (even as much as I wanted Braylon back). The Jets were in a tough spot this offseason with so many free agents and with having your biggest moves being re-signing guys, there is the definite stigma that you're just standing pat and not improving, but when you're talking about a number of very high end talents with big contract demands, the fact that they've got Harris, Holmes and Cromartie all still on the team is definitely impressive. Now it's time to fill out the roster with some solid / role players at positions they may have been lacking a bit at (again, namely safety) and they should be in pretty good shape.

There is still more moves to be made. Hopefully the next one is giving Harris a longtearm deal because his Franchise Tag is hindering the cap ($10 mil) and a new deal will free up some more money.

We all got kinda pulled into the Aso talks, but going into the offseason if you told me we'd resign two of Holmes, Cro, and Braylon i'd be more than happy with it. We were very talented last year, had the defense simply tackled someone in Pittsburgh and had Sanchez not sh*t the bed in the first half, we might be talking about a team that made a super bowl.

I expected Cro to want more than Joseph (around 10 mil per) if he in fact took 8 per this is a good deal IMO.

Me to. I thought he was going to act disrespected due to the Aso chase, and be a jerk.

In the end he did the smart thing, and took fair money. FO did a good job in salvaging a bad situation

Not even close. Sparano was already the HC. Cromartie was a free agent. Also being a team's 2nd choice after a still-in-his-prime, future-HOF Nnamdi Asomugha isn't the same as being the 4th choice (at best) that Sparano was after Cowher and Gruden and even Harbaugh who's never coached a single game at this level yet.

The Jets can tell Cro, "Hey he's friggin' Nnamdi Asomugha. So what if we think he's better than you are. With the possible exception of Revis, he's better than everyone and the whole world knows it."

The Dolphins had to tell Sparano, "Well, no one else wants this job so you can still keep it."

Jets got used by Asshomugger.

Dolphs got played by Harbaugh.

Not much bottom line diff imho.

FWIW I am happy we resigned Cro. Im thinking 2nd year in he should be even better.

Jets CB Antonio Cromartie has 'chip on his shoulder' coming into this season

Published: Monday, August 01, 2011, 4:57 PM Updated: Monday, August 01, 2011, 6:29 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Follow 0

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

Saed Hindash/The Star-LedgerAntonio Cromartie said he has a chip on his shoulder this season to prove he's a top-flight cornerback.

Antonio Cromartie said he didn't go near a television Friday during the tail end of the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes and found out from his wife that the free-agent cornerback signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

He also harbors no hard feelings toward the Jets, who went after Asomugha first. Though, Darrelle Revis said that "everyone in this building" knew Cromartie felt like "Plan B."

Video: Jets beat reporters Jenny Vrentas and Conor Orr discuss the goings on at day 1 of Jets training camp

Conor Orr and Jenny Vrentas, Jets reporters out at Jets training camp in Florham Park as the Jets took the field for the 1st day of camp as Jenny and Conor discuss Plaxico Burress, Antonio Cromartie and the goings on at Jets camp. (Video by William Perlman/The Star-Ledger)

Watch video

But Cromartie, who signed with the Jets early this morning, does have a chip on his shoulder. This much he admitted to the media today when talking about the free agent process.

"At the end of the day I still feel as though I’m a No. 1 corner, I feel like we have two No. 1 corners on this team. Do I feel like Nnamdi is better than me? No. Do I feel like any other corner is better than me? No. But that’s the confidence I have in myself but at the end of the day I have a chip on my shoulder just to prove to everyone the ability that I have and the faith that this organization has put into me to give me a four-year deal."

Cromartie said he's out to prove the Jets right and prove everyone else — perhaps teams that passed on him and teams that thought of Asomugha as a better option — that he is a top tier player at his position.

Last year, playing opposite Revis, he finished with three interceptions and 17 passes defensed.

He reiterated several times that he didn't feel alienated by the process. Instead, he acted the same way as the Jets did and used the opportunity as a time to test the market. He said he was not close to signing with any other team.

More coverage:

• Complete Jets coverage on NJ.com

"No, I didn't have a point (where I thought it wasn't going to happen)," Cromartie said. "I just thought that both sides wanted to test the market to see what was out there and at the end of the day it's not where you started it's where you finished."

Cro has his tackling issues, but no one can argue that he is the physically most gifted CB out of Revis, Nnamdi, and himself. He's also a hard worker. Unfortunately, he's not very smart. Regardless, if he uses that self-professed "chip on his shoulder" to get maximize that insane talent, then he could be in a 1a, 1b, 1c discussion.

Archived