Thurman Munson 32 years Later...

SoFlaJets

Still remember my Dad coming to tell me that. Sad day. RIP

Meeting Thurman Munson was the weirdest way to ever meet one of your heroes. I was in the Yankees lockeroom-had to be 1971 and I'm sitting there and Thurm comes walking around the corner right towards me stark naked after getting out of the shower-what do you say to a guy?

One of the worst moments of my childhood. Thurman was my 1st sports hero. I was Thurman Munson every year for Halloween from the time I was 5 until I was 12. I played catcher my entire childhood because of Thurman Munson. I wore #15 because of Thurman Munson. #15 will live forever in our memories.

I can still see Reggie crying in right field the day they buried him.

Meeting Thurman Munson was the weirdest way to ever meet one of your heroes. I was in the Yankees lockeroom-had to be 1971 and I'm sitting there and Thurm comes walking around the corner right towards me stark naked after getting out of the shower-what do you say to a guy?

Is that a baseball bat or are you just happy to see me.

Hello Mr Munson... I see your athletic supporter and cup are working just fine.

That was the day I found out why they called Dick Howser Dick instead of Rick-he was sitting on a backward chair holding court with some of his teamamtes-naked and his flesh covered Louisville Slugger was scraping the floor. It was no wonder why his pretty blonde wife always had a little smile on her face...

Dont blame me blams SoFla for his T.M.I story.

It's weird but that's one of the first things I think of when I remember Thurm...that and how I was at a double header his rookie season and he made it back in time from his part time military service unit to pinch hit a game winner against the Orioles.

as to the other content-remember where you guys are-this IS Jet Nation and these kinds of things are accepted if not encouraged here.

It certainly has taken an odd turn for a thread commemmorating a man's death.

Someone should change the thread title...

//waits for Jif to come in an tell a story about how he saw alonzo morning's wang after dunking on him in a pickup game

I can remember that day as if it were yesterday. The news brought an entire neighborhood of kids playing wiffleball to tears as well as a bunch of moms and grandparents. Terrible day. RIP Thurm.

Wow what a coincedence I was playing Wiffel ball as well when the news came out.

He ran into the wall in Kansas City in 1978 playing the outfield and separated his shoulder. HE PLAYED THE WHOLE SEASON WITH A SEPARATED SHOULDER. never cried once and quietly had surgery in the off season after the Yanks won the world series. my favorite player growing up.

He ran into the wall in Kansas City in 1978 playing the outfield and separated his shoulder. HE PLAYED THE WHOLE SEASON WITH A SEPARATED SHOULDER. never cried once and quietly had surgery in the off season after the Yanks won the world series. my favorite player growing up.

First it was The Mick then Bobby Murcer and when Thurm came along he was right up there with Murcer for me

Archived