David Harris Signs Long Term Deal

nj meadowlands

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they wanna open up the offense we really need another WR. Smith could be good on the cheap. Maybe a similar impact to Holmes last year.

Yep. Edwards is my number one to bring back but the pool is getting to be slim pickins.

Also, as far as OLB depth I wonder about Bobby Carpenter in this system. I dunno. Might be a decent guy to give a shot to.

What a stupid contract. Harris is good but he's not worth $9M/year with 75% of the contract guaranteed. We were better off keeping him franchise-tagged.

No we're not. He'd play out his franchise year and then get a better deal next year.

Plus, unlike Mangold, Brick, and Revis, Harris played out the final year of his rookie deal for $1 mil. Thus, Harris essentially signed a 5 yr $37 mil contract.

Most insane deal I could ever imagine. I have no idea what the Jets are thinking unless the parameters of this deal were set last season and they are literally paying him for last year making this essentially a 5/37 deal. Thats the only way this even remotely makes sense unless the Jets are just out to make crazy headlines with contracts. This is definitely the only team in the world to have this kind of money tied up in ILBs and CBS, while paying low costs up front. I also have no idea what the reasoning is behind frontloading these deals. Maybe the Jets are going to bring back Braylon or get involved in a trade for someone.

You beat me to it Jason, this is exactly what popped into my mind as soon as I read the numbers of this contract. I feel like the Jets are paying Harris for last year in this deal, as he was the only guy who they couldn't make good on their promise to re-sign due to the uncapped year rules. Not sure I necessarily get the size of this contract, but whatever, the Jets have him locked up for the next 4 years and some money to make more moves this offseason (which are certainly needed).

What a stupid contract. Harris is good but he's not worth $9M/year with 75% of the contract guaranteed. We were better off keeping him franchise-tagged.

Yes...contract doesn't make sense. Especially with $29.5 guaranteed(and no bonus?) Unless you're asking Harris to take a very small 2011 payday. Like somewhere between $1 to $2.5 Mil. That would result in adding $8-9 Mil to the Jets CAP space.

I smell some big moves brewing here. Like adding Edwards at say $6 Mil per year(but taking only about $3 Mil in 2011). Then trading Cotchery and his $3.8 Mil CAP hit for 2011.

And when this dust clears...Jets could still end somewhere up between $7 - $10 Mil under the CAP. Plenty of room to go make more blockbuster moves. Like adding Kevin Boss and edge rusher.

Maybe this all sounds crazy...but so does $29.5 in guaranteed money on a $36 Mil contract.

Yes...contract doesn't make sense. Especially with $29.5 guaranteed(and no bonus?) Unless you're asking Harris to take a very small 2011 payday. Like somewhere between $1 to $2.5 Mil. That would result in adding $8-9 Mil to the Jets CAP space.

I smell some big moves brewing here. Like adding Edwards at say $7 Mil per year(but taking only about $3-4 Mil in 2011). Then dumping Cotchery's contract, and his $6+ Mil CAP hit for 2011.

And when this dust clears...Jets could still end somewhere up between $10 - $14 Mil under the CAP. Plenty of room to go make more blockbuster moves. Like adding Kevin Boss and edge rusher.

Maybe this all sounds crazy...but so does $29.5 in guaranteed money on a $36 Mil contract.

That's not happening, but if it does, we all need to get on our knees and praise Mike T.

I smell some big moves brewing here. Like adding Edwards at say $6 Mil per year(but taking only about $3 Mil in 2011). Then trading Cotchery and his $3.8 Mil CAP hit for 2011.

And when this dust clears...Jets could still end somewhere up between $7 - $10 Mil under the CAP. Plenty of room to go make more blockbuster moves. Like adding Kevin Boss and edge rusher.

Trading Cotchery doesn't clear anywhere near $3.8M on the cap. Maybe $2M. And he'd still count another $1.7M next year also. Cotchery's prorated bonus is what makes his cap number higher, not his annual salary (which is quite reasonable).

All this cap space that is being "created" is nothing of the sort. It still comes off the cap later. I will concede that if the cap absolutely skyrockets to the tune of $30M then it probably won't matter much but that isn't going to happen for a few more years if it does. It's still a dumb contract, as Harris is being overpaid by more per year than we'll clear by the $2M you're reveling that we'd "save" by moving Cotchery. The word "save" is in quotes because that money doesn't disappear; it will be replaced by another player getting paid even more base salary in addition to Cotchery's prorated bonus still counting $1.7M this year and next whether he's here or not.

You don't try to clear up about $5 million of cap room for one year by overpaying a player by $4M for the next 3 and then doubling down on that by effectively guaranteeing the whole thing. If he counts $4M this year then that's $32M that has to come off the cap for the next 3 years ($11M/year). Ridiculous for a second ILB who, while very good and I'm glad we have him, certainly isn't some amazingly great player to warrant this type of payout. Also consider how many other new (or newly renegotiated) contracts have moneys pushed to hit big beyond 2011 like Holmes and Sanchez and Cromartie.

Clearly Tannenbaum is planning something else, as it would make zero sense to backload a guaranteed contract otherwise, but I don't know that WR is going to be part of it. Cotchery's on PUP coming off a very down season so we're not going to get much of anything except clearing cap room (basically the equivalent of cutting him). And as great as it may look on paper or on a Madden screen to dump Cotchery for whomever it is you can imagine (since it's doubtful it would be Edwards), so far Mark Sanchez hasn't shown to be a good enough QB to swap out all but 1 of his WRs from the past year -- particularly when practices don't get started until August and this new mystery WR and/or TE isn't practicing here yet anyway.

I like Tannenbaum a ton. This is not one of his genius moves.

Most insane deal I could ever imagine. I have no idea what the Jets are thinking unless the parameters of this deal were set last season and they are literally paying him for last year making this essentially a 5/37 deal. Thats the only way this even remotely makes sense unless the Jets are just out to make crazy headlines with contracts. This is definitely the only team in the world to have this kind of money tied up in ILBs and CBS, while paying low costs up front. I also have no idea what the reasoning is behind frontloading these deals. Maybe the Jets are going to bring back Braylon or get involved in a trade for someone.

+1

I think the answer to the frontloading is a simple one....Pay them for their best years up front, and since this is the NFL when they're cut or traded they'll have earned their highest salary.

That's my thinking anyway...could be wrong. I'm not a fan of having 2 highly paid ILBs, but what's to be done now...

This is what I think - I think Bart Scott will be 31 in a week or so, and the Jets already asked him to take a pay cut for this year. Next year, they can cut him for a minimal cap hit (and/or ask him to take another pay cut), and the following year (at age 33) they can release him for significant cap savings.

This very expensive four year deal for Harris basically locks him up for his prime (ages 27-32), leaving the Jets the option of whether or not they want to pick him up beyond that or let him walk with no cap hit and a potential compensational draft pick - like what a team like the Steelers might do. The guarantee is great for Harris injury-wise, but as long as he's healthy, the Jets were likely to honor the contract, anyway. I think the large guarantee helped them get him to sign for a low cap number this season. Same thing with Homes' deal.

Outside of that, I really don't buy the concept of the Jets essentially paying him for last year (the 5/37 model). There is no benevolence in this league. They had him tendered at over $10M, making negotiating for anything less than that difficult. The guy's a 94 on Madden, so he knows he's good.

I also like that Sperm is all over this deal.

This is what I think - I think Bart Scott will be 31 in a week or so, and the Jets already asked him to take a pay cut for this year. Next year, they can cut him for a minimal cap hit (and/or ask him to take another pay cut), and the following year (at age 33) they can release him for significant cap savings.

This very expensive four year deal for Harris basically locks him up for his prime (ages 27-32), leaving the Jets the option of whether or not they want to pick him up beyond that or let him walk with no cap hit and a potential compensational draft pick - like what a team like the Steelers might do. The guarantee is great for Harris injury-wise, but as long as he's healthy, the Jets were likely to honor the contract, anyway. I think the large guarantee helped them get him to sign for a low cap number this season. Same thing with Homes' deal.

Outside of that, I really don't buy the concept of the Jets essentially paying him for last year (the 5/37 model). There is no benevolence in this league. They had him tendered at over $10M, making negotiating for anything less than that difficult. The guy's a 94 on Madden, so he knows he's good.

I also like that Sperm is all over this deal.

They can't cut Scott next year. The pay cut deal for this year included guaranteeing his salary for next year. Unless he does it out of the goodness of his heart, the Jets will have no leverage to ask Scott to take a pay cut again next year even if he becomes the worst player in the NFL.

And you like Sperm all over everything. Frickin' homo.

They can't cut Scott next year. The pay cut deal for this year included guaranteeing his salary for next year. Unless he does it out of the goodness of his heart, the Jets will have no leverage to ask Scott to take a pay cut again next year even if he becomes the worst player in the NFL.

And you like Sperm all over everything. Frickin' homo.

I did not know that.

Next year would've been a cap wash, anyway. It's the following year that releasing him at age 33 can net big cap savings. I'm still right, that's the important thing.

And I have no idea why I have yet to be approached for modhood.

I did not know that.

Next year would've been a cap wash, anyway. It's the following year that releasing him at age 33 can net big cap savings. I'm still right, that's the important thing.

And I have no idea why I have yet to be approached for modhood.

Max is a capitalist pig and you're not.

Best I got at 8am.

I am just glad he is signed.

It takes Jets fans to complain about signing one of the core players of our team. I mean wow. I am sure you will not be thinking about these contracts if we can get over the hump and get to the Superbowl this year. So why worry about it now. Maybe it is an overpayment, but so what. I think Tannenbaum has considered the money and the ramifications of the structure of the deal. He has not done anything in my mind to violate anyone's trust when it comes to handling the money.

So give it a rest......

in the last 3 years, everytime there was a trade deal brewing

the other team would always ask for David Harris.

That's why this is a great deal. The dude is awesome.

His pick of Tom Brady was a game changer. Even tho it didn't lead to points, and he never made it to the EZ, after that play the Jets D were like rabid dogs. it ended Brady's ridiculous 500+ attempts without an INT streak (or whatever it was)

in the last 3 years, everytime there was a trade deal brewing

the other team would always ask for David Harris.

That's why this is a great deal. The dude is awesome.

His pick of Tom Brady was a game changer. Even tho it didn't lead to points, and he never made it to the EZ, after that play the Jets D were like rabid dogs. it ended Brady's ridiculous 500+ attempts without an INT streak (or whatever it was)

Harris is very good. He is not awesome.

Ray Lewis is/was awesome.

So basically, Harris sucks, we signed him for way too much, Tanny has no clue what he's doing and the Jets are now ****ed for years to come.

I'm glad I post here to get this type of insite...otherwise, I'd just continue believing that Tanny and Rex know more than the common fan.

I'm glad I post here to get this type of insite...otherwise, I'd just continue believing that Tanny and Rex know more than the common fan.

Sperm Edwards, slats, and Jason are more than your common fan. But I agree with you. The sky is not falling, and I'm very pleased with our offseason to this point.

Sperm Edwards, slats, and Jason are more than your common fan. But I agree with you. The sky is not falling, and I'm very pleased with our offseason to this point.

Truth, they are super fans and should be submitting their resumes to the Jets when Rex and Tanny are fired for making such stupid decisions. Smash and Visa too. Smash would make a great GM. Visa would make a great DC.

So basically, Harris sucks, we signed him for way too much, Tanny has no clue what he's doing and the Jets are now ****ed for years to come.

Yeah, I think the reaction to this is just a tad overboard. I can certainly see how some people might be surprised by the value of the contract, and it's certainly more than I expected, but the fact is the Jets locked up the last of their very good to great home grown talents, which is a great thing to see. Tanny and Rex clearly thinks Harris is a very important part of the team, and considering he was voted by his teammates as Team MVP this past year, I'd imagine they agree with that as well. Not to mention, Tanny has a track record of rewarding the "good soldiers" (Revis being the obvious exception to the rule), and I think Harris won himself a lot of good will with the front office by how he handled his situation last year. When there were other players all over the place talking about new contracts, he flatly stated that he knew he was waiting until this year to get his contract because of the uncapped year and was completely fine with that and would play under the deal he had without any complaints.

Yeah, I think the reaction to this is just a tad overboard. I can certainly see how some people might be surprised by the value of the contract, and it's certainly more than I expected, but the fact is the Jets locked up the last of their very good to great home grown talents, which is a great thing to see. Tanny and Rex clearly thinks Harris is a very important part of the team, and considering he was voted by his teammates as Team MVP this past year, I'd imagine they agree with that as well. Not to mention, Tanny has a track record of rewarding the "good soldiers" (Revis being the obvious exception to the rule), and I think Harris won himself a lot of good will with the front office by how he handled his situation last year. When there were other players all over the place talking about new contracts, he flatly stated that he knew he was waiting until this year to get his contract because of the uncapped year and was completely fine with that and would play under the deal he had without any complaints.

His contract is alarming, but we only know the numbers...we dont know what else was discussed last season, this season and we dont know what the intentions of the contract mean toward aquiring more talent. I'd say overboard is a good word.

I'm all for good banter and questioning decision making but some folks just take it to the next level as if they actually know more about how to manage a team than Tanny...Bradway...yeah, I get it...but Tanny has shown that he's more than competent and clever when it comes to creating space. I've been hearing for years how said contract was going to cripple the Jets and I've yet to see us have a hard time finding money to acquire or retain talent.

The insight that keeps me coming back is that Tannenbaum and Rex are above the reproach of us commoners, even those capable of basic math.

The insight that keeps me coming back is that Tannenbaum and Rex are above the reproach of us commoners, even those capable of basic math.

Please, I'm not saying that at all and I think you know I'm not that guy.

See my above post. My point is simple, I've been hearing the "math" for years now and how its going to come back and bite us in the a$$...and it never does. The guy finds a way...and I'm confident that this contract didnt cripple us as others are implying.

Maybe I'm just sick of all the sky is falling, what is our FO doing talk. People are seriously coming off as if they could do a better job, and for some reason, I find that hard to believe.

Archived