Sign in to follow this  
JonEJet

Sawx Make 1st Big/Huge splash.......

GREAT MOVE BY THE SOX IF THIS GETS DONE. I'VE NEVER BEEN A BIG FAN OF NOT DEALING "CAN'T MISS" PROSPECTS. SANCHEZ & RAMIREZ ARE VERY HIGHLY RATED, BUT I THINK LOWELL WILL HAVE A BIG YEAR AT FENWAY AND BECKETT IS A STUD. IF THEY KEEP MANNY & DAMON IT WILL BE A VERY GOOD OFF SEASON FOR THEM.

Right now this trade looks lopsided for Boston with them getting two major league players and not giving up a major league player.

Still Lowell looked lost last year at the plate and beckett has always been frustrating- great stuff but not putting it all together- so you never know Ramirez could be as good as his minor rep

Good trade. About time they realized Schilling isn't the answer. The payroll is a concern though. It is a shame that some teams can just buy whatever players they want.

Beckett pitched lights out in the 2003 postseason. He was dominant in game 6; the Yankees couldn't touch him. He's been up and down since, but the arm and his stuff are the same. If they could get Schilling to point him in the right direction(as Clemens did to him) and he puts it altogether, he could be a major pickup.

Great deal, I hope it comes to fruition. The Sox NEED pitching. Now, lets hope that this Manager by Committee does not deal Manny.

BTW - Damon is as good as gone. He's looking for a 7 year deal. Who will give him that?

Great deal, I hope it comes to fruition. The Sox NEED pitching. Now, lets hope that this Manager by Committee does not deal Manny.

BTW - Damon is as good as gone. He's looking for a 7 year deal. Who will give him that?

The NY Mets... :lol:

The Sox are about to pick up a bull who will be their ace for the next 10 years and the Yanks have their sights set on an aging right fielder to be their every day center fielder.

Brilliant.

Who the hell is the red sox GM making this move? LOL

Good trade for the sox, but Lowell blows. Beckett if he stays healthy is just filthy, damn I dont like this, the Yankees shouldnt let this happen.

If the Yankees asked about Beckett, we'd have to give up Cano, Wang, Duncan and Hughes. But the red sox, just like in the schilling deal, give away just 1 good prospect and a bunch of fillers that will never ammount to d***.

Yankees are gonna have to answer this one in a big way. I dont like the Yankees starting staff much, but this doesnt make it better. Maybe we go after AJ Burnett.........that being said Beckett is not some completely proven stud, he's shown flashes, with alittle more success than Burnett, but Beckett has alot of DL problems and has never thrown 200 innings. Still, a steal for the sox, hanley ramirez was never gonna do crap jmo.

I aint saying SH*T until the deal is done...

Not a peep! Really...I mean it!!!

Filthy, legit ace to head the rotation for years!!!

Oops.

Marlins got raped, rawdog!

Oops again.

Young stud, bona fide Yankee killer...world series tested!!!

Doh!

I better go to bed ASAP.

Good trade. About time they realized Schilling isn't the answer. The payroll is a concern though. It is a shame that some teams can just buy whatever players they want.

Good one Max - your funny.

Schiling was never a long term replacement. I said a few years ago, he was signed to bridge the gap until they land their next "Pedro Martinez" to carry the team for the better part of the next decade. If he can stay healthy, this is an excellent move.

Schiling was never a long term replacement. I said a few years ago, he was signed to bridge the gap until they land their next "Pedro Martinez" to carry the team for the better part of the next decade. If he can stay healthy, this is an excellent move.

All the need is someone to pitch games 2 - 5 now and they will be competitive. :D

Nice deal for Sox.

Florida is in total dump mode if they went to Bostons' deal over taking on Blalock 3mill salary from Texas.

Lowell is one bad year removed from his norm of a consistent 25-90 player. I like him to rebound in Fenway if the SOX don't move him.

Becket if he avoids the blister problems should be the real deal.

Like Burnett though, for all the hype Beckett has only had one above average year.

At 25 though well worth the price Sox gave up.

Gives the Sox two starters who have no fear of the Bronx in October.

Excellent move for the Bosox. In spite of Beckett's 7 trips to the DL in the past 4 seasons, and the fact that he never pitched in more then 29 games, or some 180 innings, he is a stud. Sox give up Sanchez, and 2 dudus.

Great move. Can't argue the facts.

Now, if they dump Schilling and Foulke, and replace them with even average guys, they will be the team to beat.

But we will. The Yankees always find a way. :wink:

Oh please.

I give Beckett 3 good months until Veritek and Nixon turn him into just another generic white dude on the Sox, complete with dirty hat, nappy beard and beer gut. He'll be lobbing up softballs in Pawtucket by the end of the summer.

The raping of Marlins has officially begun.

Beckett has just wicked stuff. As long as he keeps away from the blisters he should be real good. Problem though is that he hasn't been able to stay away from the blister issue.

Lowell is nothing more than 18 million dollar steroid casualty who the Sox HAD to take to get Beckett.

H.Ramirez will become the Marlins everyday SS since it does not look like they will resign Alex Gonzalez.

Yanks should go out right now and make a push for Juan Pierre.

The raping of Marlins has officially begun.

Beckett has just wicked stuff. As long as he keeps away from the blisters he should be real good. Problem though is that he hasn't been able to stay away from the blister issue.

Lowell is nothing more than 18 million dollar steroid casualty who the Sox HAD to take to get Beckett.

H.Ramirez will become the Marlins everyday SS since it does not look like they will resign Alex Gonzalez.

Yanks should go out right now and make a push for Juan Pierre.

Great point. One article said 9 of his 11 trips to the Dl is for blisters.

Max -

Hopefully, with a full offseason to recover and workout, Schil can be in better shape. Plus, with Clement as a third, probably does not have the make-up to be a top of the rotation guy, the Sox have a nice 1-3. Plus, if they can fanagle something for Manny or if this ends up "Manny being Manny" and he returns, the Sox should have the bats and arms to be a legitmate contender. Unlike the abomination that took the field this year.

who is this Theo dude that we keep hearing about?

He built a World Series winning team. You guys won't need anyone like him for another 83 years or so.

:P

Youre damn right we wont be needing him...especially if Larry Lucchino has more no-brainer, a-few-prospects-for-stud-pitchers moves in his back pocket.

It's been too long since we've had a "Legendary Larry" in this town.

I hope when Garb reads this, she throws up in a bucket!

Josh Beckett = Jaret Wright

Made a big splash in the post season as a neophyte flame-thrower, so everyone foresaw a brilliant career, but all that really followed were some periodic episodes of success and a gazillion stints on the DL

Just like Wright, this kid has basically lived on the DL since he made a name for himself as a pup ... how many times has he been on the DL, nine?

Heck, that even beats Jaret Wright's pace

So no, this move doesn't worry me in the least ... Beckett has talent, as did Wright, but this kid is an injury waiting to happen ... brittle as rice paper ... and young pitchers who can't stay healthy don't suddenly become horses as they get older {See: Jaret Wright}

MARK IT DOWN ... If those prospects amount to anything, EVEN ONE, Boston will rue the day

You won't be able to Judge this trade for two or three years, after Beckett's career falls apart and the prospects emerge {or not} ... but I believe this deal will prove disasterous for the Red Sox over the long haul

BTW, I'm Glad the Yankees didn't get sucked into this one and go dealing Phillip Hughes and Eric Duncan for this walking MASH UNIT ... better the Red Sox than us :wink:

Ham you are a wise baseball man except when it comes to anything that isn't a positive for the Yankees.

Becket's problems have been blisters.

He still won 15 last year and has never had a era in the 4's.

See Pavano for bad moves.

Can the blisters be a problem? Sure but well worth the risk when you consider A young ace starter with stud potential and down-but-not-out third baseman for a Double-A shortstop prospect who hit just .271 with six homers and a pair of pitchers who have never thrown a big-league pitch.

We all know that if this was a Yankee deal you would be entertaining us with a brilliantly written post full of Beckett is "big game tested", "can handle the Bronx", "no stage is too big for this 26 year old flame thrower" adjectives.

05-06 Off season standings.

Mets 1.5 (If Delgado done deal)(Cameron deal = so-so)

Sox 1

Yanks 1 (Matsui was a must sign from the dollars in generates perspective.)

Ham you are a wise baseball man except when it comes to anything that isn't a positive for the Yankees.

He's been taking lessons from EB. :wink:

To be fair, Beckett has been shut down twice with shoulder tendonitis. Luckily the Sox didn't have to give up Lester or Papelbon, those two would have hurt much more. Anibel Sanchez will be a good pitcher, though.

The blister problem can be fixed, see Derek Lowe.

GS, Beckett has been on the DL "NINE TIMES" since his coming out party in the post season

NINE TIMES!!

And you think it's a Great trade for the Sox to deal a bunch of prospects for someone who injures himself getting out of bed in the morning?

Okay, we'll see ... I say the Sox get burned

The Jaret Wright analogy was perfect .. Beckett is the same guy .. from his big post season as a kid {as a hard throwing neophyte}, to the high expectations that followed, to his never-ending processions of stints on the DL

So we'll see ... time will tell who's right

But it won't take long ... Beckett will be right back on the DL in 2006 ... bet the ranch on it

Youre damn right we wont be needing him...especially if Larry Lucchino has more no-brainer, a-few-prospects-for-stud-pitchers moves in his back pocket.

It's been too long since we've had a "Legendary Larry" in this town.

I hope when Garb reads this, she throws up in a bucket!

Zippy, you are a dip.

First, 'Lyin Larry HAD to make this deal. Damage control and PR magic.....watch that sleazy lawyer show his face when the officially announce the signing. Funny how he has been incognito since the Theo debacle. Anyone who trusts this man is truly sick. You sick, Zippy?

Second, 'Lyin Larry and his little "manager lambs by committee" should thank THEO for this trade. It was THEO who rebuilt a barren farm system into one of the best. This trade could not have happened without excellent minor league prospects.

Sorry Ham....trade was a no brainer.

The Sox now have not one, but two Aces who have proven without a shadow of a doubt that they can stand on the mound in the Bronx for a big game and absolutely piss all over the Yankees Fantasy Baseball Line-up.

who is this Theo dude that we keep hearing about?

Theo never would have dealt a slew of prospects for this walking MASH UNIT

You'll wish he was there to prevent this mistake when Beckett is right back on the DL, for the 10TH TIME, in 2006

Theo never would have dealt a slew of prospects for this walking MASH UNIT

You'll wish he was there to prevent this mistake when Beckett is right back on the DL, for the 10TH TIME, in 2006

Slew of prospects =

a Double-A shortstop prospect who hit just .271 with six homers and a pair of pitchers who have never thrown a big-league pitch.

Oh and besides a 26 yr old stud they also got a 3rd baseman one year removed from being a perrenial 25-90 guy with a glove to boot.

Sorry Ham....trade was a no brainer.

The Sox now have not one, but two Aces who have proven without a shadow of a doubt that they can stand on the mound in the Bronx for a big game and absolutely piss all over the Yankees Fantasy Baseball Line-up.

1. This lineup is entirely different than the one he faced in the WS ... at least 6 new faces and maybe 7

2. What Good is your ability when you live on the DL ... when the doctors and nurses call you by your first name?

Dude has been on the DL 9 times over the past two seasons ... 10, 11 and 12 are just around the corner

1. This lineup is entirely different than the one he faced in the WS ... at least 6 new faces and maybe 7

2. What Good is your ability when you live on the DL ... when the doctors and nurses call you by your first name?

Dude has been on the DL 9 times over the past two seasons ... 10, 11 and 12 are just around the corner

I dunno the guy you say lives on the DL just won 15 games while Wright-Pavano and Wang were injured.,,Never mind the projected shelf life for Randy.

I like the move. Beckett is one of the best right now and who knows what hanley Ramirez will turn out to be. A lot of people felt Freddie Sanchez was the SS of the future but he was moved for Suppan or Sauerbum, or some other scrub from Pit.

It's a move made about timing as well. Sox fans down just like they were in 03 after losing the ALCS. Then the team landed Schilling around Thanksgiving. It's 05 and Sox fans are bumming after losing the ALDS and Theo and they land Beckett and Lowell around........ Thanksgiving.

You can't predict the future, but the Red Sox are off to a good start to making the future look bright and interesting if nothing else.

I see in finalizing the trade Boston got G. Mota relief pitcher- he could be a steal in this trade if he can control his emotions. another guy that has real good stuff to try to put it all together