Mason chooses #nyj

Jetkid94

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a problem because he's not going to amount to anything.

I ******* hate Jets fans.

As I posted in another thread....

Do people not remember only a few years ago in 2008 Cotch, Coles and Stuckey were our starters and the year before it was Coles, Cotch, McCairens and Smith? You are seriously acting like the world is over when we have Holmes, Plax, Mason and Kerley? Kerley is already better than Stuckey and I liked it when we drafted him. Plax is a question mark but its not a huge leap of faith to assume that he will be able to produce as a #2 WR and at worst he is an awesome redzone target which we have never seemed to have. Mason is better then Cotch end of story.

Seriously you people are acting like we suddenly have the worst WR group in the history of football when just a few years ago it was much much worse.

A 5th round rookie who wont have a full training camp (like all rookies) is NOT a guy you want to start in the slot. I hope this kid is awesome but everyone needs to settle the F down with this guy. He's had a good week of practice, thats it.

Thats fine and I get that we shouldn't overvalue him right now but playing a rookie at the slot isn't exactly the end of the world. It happens all the time. The Patriots had two rookie TEs last year nobody was talking about the sky falling for them especially when they became two of their big receiving targets.

Like it or not it is what it is and if this is the receiving core we are fielding this season then they have my full support backing them 100%. My main concern is not whether he can bring it on the field, which I think he will do no problem only being a #3, it is if he can keep his mouth shut if things don't go the way he wants them to go. As long as he knows he's #3 on the depth chart unless something happens to the #1 and #2, then I'm totally committed to backing him. You will not see me sporting a Jets jersey with his name on the back though, but I'll be cheering for him.

With this signing today, and the way the team is now (no major injuries so far in practice, ect;) do you think we are done on the free agent market this season and if not who or what other position can you see them wanting to sign?

Bottom line FACTS in 2010 Edwards Had 53 receptions with 904 rec yards and 7 TD and a fumble we are replacing that with Mason who had 61 Receptions 803 Rec yds and 7 TD with no Fumbles. I would say statistically comparable. Now for all the Penny fans that are allays the "intangibles" but I don't see this a a big drop off.

Bottom line FACTS in 2010 Edwards Had 53 receptions with 904 rec yards and 7 TD and a fumble we are replacing that with Mason who had 61 Receptions 803 Rec yds and 7 TD with no Fumbles. I would say statistically comparable. Now for all the Penny fans that are allays the "intangibles" but I don't see this a a big drop off.

FACTS Derrick Mason is 37 Braylon Edwards is 28. Statistics from last season mean nothing. Its whats done this year what counts.

FACTS Derrick Mason is 37 Braylon Edwards is 28. Statistics from last season mean nothing. Its whats done this year what counts.

Look any one can tell you I was one of BE's most staunch supporters all summer and really wanted him back.

But ok let talk about this year Braylon is looking at a suspension THIS YEAR. I watched allot Mason's games last year because he was on my FF team and IMO the guy is a baller. But we will wait and see how the season plays out.

Agree. We all knew we were not signing all three of Holmes, Cro and Edwards. The FO played it correctly IMO after losing out on the corner they targeted. As for Cotchery, class guy who at times came up big in the clutch but wanted out when our staff did not consider him a #2 WR.

Look any one can tell you I was one of BE's most staunch supporters all summer and really wanted him back.

But ok let talk about this year Braylon is looking at a suspension THIS YEAR. I watched allot Mason's games last year because he was on a FF team and the guy is a baller. But we will wait and see how the season plays out.

Agreed.

Agree. We all knew we were not signing all three of Holmes, Cro and Edwards. The FO played it correctly IMO after losing out on the corner they targeted. As for Cotchery, class guy who at times came up big in the clutch but wanted out when our staff did not consider him a #2 WR.

Plus we add Plax to that mix.. I will always be a J-Co fan and hope he lands on his feet. I will NEVER forget that catch in Cle last year.

I wish everybody would just shut the hell up.

This team has no holes. NONE. There is barely a question mark on the team. They still have flexibility to sign Ellis or make a splash if some later camp casualty shakes loose. Biggest question marks at this time are Moore's injury and the punter. Can you imagine? This team is stacked and you people are whining like it's 2006. We are going to be caving in heads this year.

Jerricho Cotchery ASKED out of New York. Right now he's physically unable to perform, last season Jerricho had 10 dropped passes 10 of them-how many passes were even thrown his way maybe 56-60? Derrick Mason doesn't drop passes I don't care if he's 40-he will NOT drop half as many as Cotchery did last year-this is a good signing and a good stop-gap player to help mentor Jeremy Kerley along-stop whining Jets fans-Stupid a$$ Braylon Edwards with all his talk of "I want to be here next year and am willing to take less money to do so" in the end takes 1/10th of what he was asking the Jets to pay him. Rex Ryan made a public plea two days in a row in his press conferences to Braylon to please come back. He chose to go to San Francisco...the frigging 49ers for a million bucks and for him to get to the 3.5 that he is hoping for will have to catch 90 balls and make the pro bowl-he's NEVER going to see those numbers-he's an idiot and we ALL loved him and we ALL wanted him back but he let his ego get in the way to play for a team that won't even sniff the playoffs. Derrick Mason will catch 45 passes and score 5-6 TDs. M<aybe we wouldn't need a slot guy to produce but our TE is shaky and inconsistent and will never be a pro bowler at that position

The biggest question mark is Mark Sanchez. And we just brought in a guy who can help him do his job better. Oh, but I forgot, our front office is terrible and doesn't know what its doing.

How dare you question mark Sanchez!

(Get it, get it! "question mark", "Question Mark Sanchez", "question Mark Sanchez". I'll take that post of the week, thank you very much.)

we're supposed to be overjoyed with 2 new geriatric Wide receivers? Yeah we just won the SUperbowl, NFL superstah Derrick Mason is the missing piece to a ring! Hallelujah

Mark Sanchez is that missing piece to a ring.

It doesn't matter if its a pair if rookies he's throwing to, or Andre Johnson and Megatron. If Sanchez is improved this year the WR moves are irrelevant.

Jerricho was placed on the physically unable to perform list by team doctors due to an offseason back surgery in February trying to correct a herniated disk. Who's to say he'll ever return to form? Unlike a 29 year old Cotchery, Mason doesn't have any back problems and hasn't been forced to miss 4 games over the past two seasons due to injury related issues either. Jerricho was starting to break down right before our own eyes. For those of you who aren't a fan of the Mason addition, I'd like to ask you... Do you judge a players value on age or overall productivity on the football field? It's clear to see that Mason is an upgrade to our offensive passing attack. When most experts/analysts judge a player, they usually look into their previous three seasons of production, as well as their previous years body of work. Mason has Cotchery beat on both counts. Over the past 3 seasons...

Mason: 48 games, 214 receptions, 2,867 receiving yards, 19 TD's and 159 first downs

Cotch: 44 games, 169 receptions, 2,112 yards, 10 TD's and 113 first downs. Last year...

Mason: 16 games, 61 receptions, 802 receiving yards, 7 TD's and 44 first downs.

Cotch: 14 games, 41 receptions, 433 receiving yards, 2 TD's and 26 first downs.

Cotchery is the much younger player, but he's never been able to outperform a much older WR in Mason. That's because Mason has always been, and is still a much better WR when compared to Cotchery.

Jerricho was placed on the physically unable to perform list by team doctors due to an offseason back surgery in February trying to correct a herniated disk. Who's to say he'll ever return to form? Unlike a 29 year old Cotchery, Mason doesn't have any back problems and hasn't been forced to miss 4 games over the past two seasons due to injury related issues either. Jerricho was starting to break down right before our own eyes. For those of you who aren't a fan of the Mason addition, I'd like to ask you... Do you judge a players value on age or overall productivity on the football field? It's clear to see that Mason is an upgrade to our offensive passing attack. When most experts/analysts judge a player, they usually look into their previous three seasons of production, as well as their previous years body of work. Mason has Cotchery beat on both counts. Over the past 3 seasons...

Mason: 48 games, 214 receptions, 2,867 receiving yards, 19 TD's and 159 first downs

Cotch: 44 games, 169 receptions, 2,112 yards, 10 TD's and 113 first downs. Last year...

Mason: 16 games, 61 receptions, 802 receiving yards, 7 TD's and 44 first downs.

Cotch: 14 games, 41 receptions, 433 receiving yards, 2 TD's and 26 first downs.

Cotchery is the much younger player, but he's never been able to outperform a much older WR in Mason. That's because Mason has always been, and is still a much better WR when compared to Cotchery.

+1 good post

plus last year... mason was guarded like a #2 he'll be looked at like a #3 or even #4 with plax, keller, and holmes running around which gives mason a better chance to be a big asset.

Glad he chose the Jets. I dont care what anyone says, assuming Mark Sanchez takes the next step, the Jets are going to be very difficult to defend. A top 5 Oline, a stacked backfield, stacked at WR, a versatile TE...what are teams going to do when they are looking at Holmes and Plax on the outside, Mason in the slot, Keller at TE and Geene or LT in the backfield?...in the red zone? Thats deadly dude. Mark Sanchez is stoked right now.

If he wasn't content with the situation, he wouldn't have signed with the Jets.

Also, it's not a guarantee that Plaxico beats out Mason as our #2 WR to begin with. I have high hopes for Burress but I also understand it's been 33 months since his last game back in 2008. If it takes Burress a while to adjust to the speed of the game, we could very well see Holmes and Mason on the outside with Kerley coming out of the slot week one against the Cowboys.

Archived