Mason chooses #nyj

Jetkid94

Glad he chose the Jets. I dont care what anyone says, assuming Mark Sanchez takes the next step, the Jets are going to be very difficult to defend. A top 5 Oline, a stacked backfield, stacked at WR, a versatile TE...what are teams going to do when they are looking at Holmes and Plax on the outside, Mason in the slot, Keller at TE and Geene or LT in the backfield?...in the red zone? Thats deadly dude. Mark Sanchez is stoked right now.

I'm liking this ^^^^ Definitely puts things into perspective.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad he chose the Jets. I dont care what anyone says, assuming Mark Sanchez takes the next step, the Jets are going to be very difficult to defend. A top 5 Oline, a stacked backfield, stacked at WR, a versatile TE...what are teams going to do when they are looking at Holmes and Plax on the outside, Mason in the slot, Keller at TE and Geene or LT in the backfield?...in the red zone? Thats deadly dude. Mark Sanchez is stoked right now.

Yeah, on paper. Unfortunately the NFL isn't always Madden. Chemistry and familiarity are a part of the game. Burress won't learn the playbook and get in rhythm with Sanchez in game 1. If you expect that then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Mason will likely be the 4th option here (behind Holmes, Burress and Keller). Will he be content with that?

I think it's safe to say that he's more content with it than Cotchery was.

Burress won't learn the playbook and get in rhythm with Sanchez in game 1.

Same thing was said about Holmes and he'll probably do alright. One thing you know about Burress is that you know he'll be in shape. What else is there to do in prison besides trying not to get raped, eat the food they give you, and work out?

One thing you know about Burress is that you know he'll be in shape. What else is there to do in prison besides trying not to get raped, eat the food they give you, and work out?

You'd be doing my laundry, Ms. Kitty.

Mason is a good addition to this team. Yeah, it comes on the heels of the disappointing release of J-Co, however, anyone that has paid equal attention to the NFL as they have the Jets the past decade will know just how good this guy is.

He fought his way off of special teams when he emerged as Steve McNair's go-to-receiver... and for over a decade has been the #1 WR on both the Oilers/Titans and Ravens with no real second threat to draw coverage away from him. He is consistent as they come, plays with a lot of fight... I said it already when the rumors started flying, Jets fans will grow to love this guy.

Mason is a good addition to this team. Yeah, it comes on the heels of the disappointing release of J-Co, however, anyone that has paid equal attention to the NFL as they have the Jets the past decade will know just how good this guy is.

He fought his way off of special teams when he emerged as Steve McNair's go-to-receiver... and for over a decade has been the #1 WR on both the Oilers/Titans and Ravens with no real second threat to draw coverage away from him. He is consistent as they come, plays with a lot of fight... I said it already when the rumors started flying, Jets fans will grow to love this guy.

Agreed :D

Its like the jets demons re-arose to ensure we never win a superbowl again this offseason. Made the jets FO decide to fck up all our chemistry on offense. Yay Derrick Mason, didnt he retire already? nope, whoops thats just how bad he's been lately didnt even know he still played in the league. I personally prefer Holmes,Turner,Kerley,and S.McKnight as our starters at WR.

Its like the jets demons re-arose to ensure we never win a superbowl again this offseason. Made the jets FO decide to fck up all our chemistry on offense. Yay Derrick Mason, didnt he retire already? nope, whoops thats just how bad he's been lately didnt even know he still played in the league. I personally prefer Holmes,Turner,Kerley,and S.McKnight as our starters at WR.

It's actually more like the Jets Demons re-arose to ensure that our fan base would be the biggest bunch of whiny crybabies in the history of pro-sports fandom. This has gotten beyond pathetic. I'm starting to feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of Dolphags fans.

Our chemistry on offense? Are you sh*tting me?

The Jets offense resembled a bunch of palsy victims attempting to play football at times last year, especially in the red zone.

Why do you and stoic seem to be under some delusion that the Jets had some kind of high powered offense last year?

Our chemistry on offense? Are you sh*tting me?

The Jets offense resembled a bunch of palsy victims attempting to play football at times last year, especially in the red zone.

Why do you and stoic seem to be under some delusion that the Jets had some kind of high powered offense last year?

Do you know how many more TD's the offense scored from 09-10? 1. 1 more TD.

Thats how much continuity, and blah blah blah made the Jets better offensively, 1 friggin TD.

Do you know how many more TD's the offense scored from 09-10? 1. 1 more TD.

Thats how much continuity, and blah blah blah made the Jets better offensively, 1 friggin TD.

Not sure, but I don't ever remember being able to score a TD in the first quarter of a single game last year either. This team is way too slow starting off games.

Not sure, but I don't ever remember being able to score a TD in the first quarter of a single game last year either. This team is way too slow starting off games.

Agreed. Way to slow. Hopefully Sanchez can change that...especailly after the playoffs. They let him get into a rhythm early and it seemed to help him along throughout the game. I'm hoping we see more of that.

Which leads me back to my point...the offense improved by 1 TD from 09-10...so while I think continuity with QB/WR is important...it didnt do anything to help the offense score more with the only 2 new pieces being LT and Holmes...which should have helped, not hindered.

You know what will help all this, Sanchez getting better.

the better question is how old are those highlights? any from last season in there? maybe its 08 Flaccos rookie year and Mason has fell off since then.

I'm sure their acquisition of Anquan Boldin had nothing to do with the fact that his #'s (yards) were down. Because his TD total and yards per reception remained where they typically were. Not to mention his DVOR and DYOA are not too shabby for some guy who has fallen off so precipitously. But hey, let's not let #'s get in the way of such deep analysis like "chemistry" and "locker room morale".

I'm sure their acquisition of Anquan Boldin had nothing to do with the fact that his #'s (yards) were down. Because his TD total and yards per reception remained where they typically were. Not to mention his DVOR and DYOA are not too shabby for some guy who has fallen off so precipitously. But hey, let's not let #'s get in the way of such deep analysis like "chemistry" and "locker room morale".

V-89: after watching and listening to Derrick Mason PC from yesterday the thing that jumps out and the thing that he gives credit for still being good at his age is that he's never sustained any injuries to the lower half of his body-=this is a BIG upgrade over Jerricho who never was a true slot receiver to begin with-Derrick Mason fits the role perfectly and will have a big impact and NOT drop 10 passes like J-Co did last year

V-89: after watching and listening to Derrick Mason PC from yesterday the thing that jumps out and the thing that he gives credit for still being good at his age is that he's never sustained any injuries to the lower half of his body-=this is a BIG upgrade over Jerricho who never was a true slot receiver to begin with-Derrick Mason fits the role perfectly and will have a big impact and NOT drop 10 passes like J-Co did last year

Mason isn't a downfield threat but what he is a more reliable possession receiver. Mason can still get downfield, but he's not an every down threat so like you just said, he can help contribute just based on the fact he drops less than Cotch. Cotchery had a 48% catch rate and Mason had 61% catch rate and also so more passes on a team that runs as much if not more than us. To me that means, when he gets a pass, he's going to make it count. I loved Cotch, but people who think we have downgraded at that position are missing the point IMO. Mason also provides a reliable option at 2 if Plax has health issues.

JiF said it already and so have others. Forget the receivers, this year is on Sanchez.

Mason isn't a downfield threat but what he is a more reliable possession receiver. Mason can still get downfield, but he's not an every down threat so like you just said, he can help contribute just based on the fact he drops less than Cotch. Cotchery had a 48% catch rate and Mason had 61% catch rate and also so more passes on a team that runs as much if not more than us. To me that means, when he gets a pass, he's going to make it count. I loved Cotch, but people who think we have downgraded at that position are missing the point IMO. Mason also provides a reliable option at 2 if Plax has health issues.

JiF said it already and so have others. Forget the receivers, this year is on Sanchez.

Yep. The offense will sink or swim based on Sanchez's progress. Not to mention that if Kerley actually shows promise he'll get playing time. It's not like our depth is horrible. We have veterans who know what they are doing albeit older and young guys with talent.

Yep. The offense will sink or swim based on Sanchez's progress. Not to mention that if Kerley actually shows promise he'll get playing time. It's not like our depth is horrible. We have veterans who know what they are doing albeit older and young guys with talent.

Pretty much. I'm at the point I don't want excuses. I'm not asking for a pro bowl season. Just good QB play with consistency.

It's actually more like the Jets Demons re-arose to ensure that our fan base would be the biggest bunch of whiny crybabies in the history of pro-sports fandom. This has gotten beyond pathetic. I'm starting to feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of Dolphags fans.

It amazes me. But I liken Jet fans to the liberated Hebrews. The Hebrews were a bunch of whiny crybabies who gave Moses absolute sh*t after he led them out of Egypt. He probably coined the cliche: "No good deed goes unpunished."

Two straight AFC title games, one of the best defensive minds in all of football as a HC, and a young, big game QB.

I think the Jets are fine at WR and DLine. I think the passing defense will be better now that Cro has had a full yr in the system. It was a shock to him to be targetted so much last year and he has been able to adjust.

My main concerns are:

Sanchez being in the regular season what he is in the postseason

Wayne Hunter doing it for 19 games

Schitty

Health

It amazes me. But I liken Jet fans to the liberated Hebrews. The Hebrews were a bunch of whiny crybabies who gave Moses absolute sh*t after he led them out of Egypt. He probably coined the cliche: "No good deed goes unpunished."

Two straight AFC title games, one of the best defensive minds in all of football as a HC, and a young, big game QB.

I think the Jets are fine at WR and DLine. I think the passing defense will be better now that Cro has had a full yr in the system. It was a shock to him to be targetted so much last year and he has been able to adjust.

My main concerns are:

Sanchez being in the regular season what he is in the postseason

Wayne Hunter doing it for 19 games

Schitty

Health

Not enough. I HAVE WAITED XXXXX YEARS WITH SO MUCH HEART ACHE HOW CAN YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THEY ALWAYS DO THIS.

Look at you getting all numbery, you sexy thing!

I agree with all of this. I think Mason is a solid possession receiver. Holmes is our downfield threat. Burress is a capable target. The Jets replaced some shaky hands over the past two seasons with a couple veterans who can definitely catch. They will eventually have to get younger at the position -probably as soon as next year- but these three starting WR's should help improve Sanchez' comp% number. That's a big key for him.

Burress is the biggest question mark of the group. His production was noticeably down the year he shot himself in the leg. He was having his worst yards/game season since his rookie year at the time of his incident. If he's stronger and more motivated after a couple years away, that won't be a problem. If he was simply that he's in decline, it might be, but even a declining Burress is still 6'6", and a threat in the red zone. Still, having a guy like Mason here to be able to jump right into the #2 position is very valuable.

If either of these guys show signs of slowing down during the regular season, the Jets always have promising rookie Jeremy Kerley to start picking up slack. Kinda like the way Shonn Greene's production increased at the end of his rookie season into the playoffs.

Look at you getting all numbery, you sexy thing!

I agree with all of this. I think Mason is a solid possession receiver. Holmes is our downfield threat. Burress is a capable target. The Jets replaced some shaky hands over the past two seasons with a couple veterans who can definitely catch. They will eventually have to get younger at the position -probably as soon as next year- but these three starting WR's should help improve Sanchez' comp% number. That's a big key for him.

Burress is the biggest question mark of the group. His production was noticeably down the year he shot himself in the leg. He was having his worst yards/game season since his rookie year at the time of his incident. If he's stronger and more motivated after a couple years away, that won't be a problem. If he was simply that he's in decline, it might be, but even a declining Burress is still 6'6", and a threat in the red zone. Still, having a guy like Mason here to be able to jump right into the #2 position is very valuable.

If either of these guys show signs of slowing down during the regular season, the Jets always have promising rookie Jeremy Kerley to start picking up slack. Kinda like the way Shonn Greene's production increased at the end of his rookie season into the playoffs.

That for me was the scariest thing of this signing. The type of guy he is (knucklehead) it's hard to determine if it was sheer laziness or if he was declining.

Oh and:

tumblr_lpku96hywq1qhgj0q.gif

That for me was the scariest thing of this signing. The type of guy he is (knucklehead) it's hard to determine if it was sheer laziness or if he was declining.

Oh and:

tumblr_lpku96hywq1qhgj0q.gif

you're gonna get me fired, I busted out laughing @ that Gif.

Archived