Shaun Ellis a Patriot

JonEJet

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate the front office and the coaches not the player.

Jets offered Ellis the vet minimum to be a backup, because they don't need an old player, who has lost a step, to start for them.

Pats offered Ellis more money than the Jets, to bring Ellis in as a starter.

I'm not sure how this makes the Jets FO look bad? All through the 2000's the Jets were the ones scooping up players when the Pats were done with them and already gotten their best years out of them. The tide has turned here.

The Pats signed Ellis because he has always killed them. It makes sense from that persepctive alone. Hes probably pissed we offered the league minimum. Damn could we not have offered him 1.5 mil to get away from that "League Minimum" tag thats equivelant to a slap in the face of a player who played hard here for years.

The Pats signed Ellis because he has always killed them. It makes sense from that persepctive alone. Hes probably pissed we offered the league minimum. Damn could we not have offered him 1.5 mil to get away from that "League Minimum" tag thats equivelant to a slap in the face of a player who played hard here for years.

Agreed.

Hate the front office and the coaches not the player.

The front office and coaches are Jets, the player is a Patriot. The only reason to hate on the former and not the latter is the never-ending need for some people to complain about everything, and any time things don't get exactly the way they want it to, it has to be due to the gross incompetence of the Jets, despite there being absolutely no basis for that stance whatsoever.

+1 all of this. IMO if Belicheat thought he was 'done' there's no way the Pats sign him, Ellis has been nothing but class and a hard worker as a Jet.

Sad day for me as a Jets fan.

Jets offered Ellis the vet minimum to be a backup, because they don't need an old player, who has lost a step, to start for them.

Pats offered Ellis more money than the Jets, to bring Ellis in as a starter.

I'm not sure how this makes the Jets FO look bad? All through the 2000's the Jets were the ones scooping up players when the Pats were done with them and already gotten their best years out of them. The tide has turned here.

Lost a step... again a meaningless phrase. Shaun Ellis has lost a step but Derrick Mason hasn't?

The Jets did what they thought was best for their organization. You can't hand out contracts based on past performance, loyalty or worst of all, to keep guys away from the Patriots. If he signs with any other team, this is a non-issue. But if you want to keep treating Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards and Shaun Ellis like ex-girlfriends, go right ahead.

Too bad. I always liked Ellis, but he was being phased out last year and was shopped around. I cant blame him for signing with the team that is going to offer him more money. The Jets were likely going to only offer the minimum to him and he was going to have no guarantees of starting anymore.

He'll get more playing time on the Pats, too.

this kills me...it's just wrong for him to be in another uniform, especially the Pats

The Jets seem to have no loyalty to their older/veteran players...Ellis can still play imo, and he will definitely help the Pats this year.

I wouldn't be surprise if he made a few big plays against us

This really sucks, my whole Sunday is shot now

Loyalty? What the hell is that?

Good teams let older players go, and replace them with younger/cheaper/better players. That's how they stay good. Jets drafted two DL high this year, and have Pitoitua coming back. DeVito, Pouha, and Wilkerson will start, KEllis, Pito, and Dixon/Gilbert/Kroul will supply depth.

He might very well be, but from a salary cap perspective, it makes a lot of sense for teams to offer league minimum deals to vets penciled in to fill backup roles. That $910K minimum deal would only count $525K against the cap, but a $1.5M deal would count in full against the cap. That's a $1M difference that the Jets are probably thinking they can put to use somewhere else.

Shaun Ellis is dead to me. He's put in 11 years of blood sweat and tears for the Jets, he would have went down as my all-time favorite Jet behind only Curtis Martin, the man was the heart and soul of our defensive line dating back to them John Abraham days; but this is like your brother sleeping with your wife... He's dead to me. Some say "it's only business", but my favorite Jet signing with the NE Patriots is personal from a fans perspective. I wish the worst upon Ellis on the football field, I'd love to see him have a non-productive season and I'd love to see the Jets run the football down his throat for 4 quarters strong. I'm not about to cry over spilt milk, the man is 34 years old and has been on a steady decline for 3 years now. Yes, he had a monster game against the Patriots during the playoffs, but that was the best game Ellis has played in YEARS. 60 tackles and 8 sacks in 08, 53 tackles and 6.5 sacks in 09, 36 tackles and 4.5 sacks last year. If that trend continues? The Patriots will be lucky to see 20 tackles and 2 sacks out of Shaun Ellis this up coming season. His best football is behind him, it's all down hill for the big cat from here on out, and to be honest with you? I CAN'T WAIT to see Ellis struggle! Jet fans have seen the best out of Shaun Ellis, I'm thankful to say that NE fans can never and will never say the same. Rant over, I've already moved on. I gave my Shaun Ellis jersey to a homeless man at McDonalds by the name of Smitty and I've marked Sunday, Oct 9 2011 on my calendar. I've washed my hands clean.

What a bunch of friggin' crybabies. What the hell has "loyalty" (which apparently around here people think means sacrificing the good of the team for the good of one player) ever gotten an NFL franchise? Just take a look at the early 2000s Jets for the answer to that. While teams like the Patriots and Steelers were ejecting older, life-long members of their team left and right, the Jets were filled with a bunch of highly over-paid, over the hill, washed up has beens destroying their cap until they retired and were spending every other year in rebuilding mode thanks in part to that. I liked Ellis a lot and would've been thrilled to get him back, but you know what, the Jets made the guy an offer valued based on what they saw him as, a past his prime veteran who would be a backup at a position at which they had a good bit of some serious young talent. Between the Cotchery and Ellis deals, it's like some people around here would rather the Jets were a worse team, just so that way those two would be good enough to be starters here. But you know what, they're not good enough to start for the Jets anymore and both sides knew it, so the Jets weren't going to pay them like they were and the players would much rather go to another team where they were good enough to start. That's life in the NFL for you. There's nothing to hold against either side (outside of the fact that I will most certainly be rooting full on against Ellis, just as I will every other member of the Patriots roster), because the move made perfect sense for both of them.

Loyalty = 42 years with no Super Bowl. We are now in the business of winning and letting players go a year too soon rather than a year too late. I was a huge Ellis fan, but I am a Jets fan first and foremost. Thanks for your service Shaun, but the page has been turned, time to move on.

Don't get it.

I'm not a fan of keeping aging players on the team for sentimental value as their skills decline, but Ellis isn't in that category. I believe he was tied for the team lead in sacks. That's pretty good for a 3-4 DE. Not like we don't need a pass rush from up front. IMO Ellis has at least a year, and probably 2 left as a productive player. If we can sign a 34, and 37 YO WR off someone else's roster, why not keep a productive vet from our own?

Yes, we have drafted two promising rookies, but they are both major ?. As all rookies are. These guys have not even had any class room time due to the lock out. They have a few weeks to get ready for the Boys. Doesn't it make sense to keep a productive vet around, you know, just in case they aren't ready, which they won't be.

I don't know who this signing is that they are hoarding all this money to sign is, but he better be damn good.

Yes, we have drafted two promising rookies, but they are both major ?. As all rookies are. These guys have not even had any class room time due to the lock out. They have a few weeks to get ready for the Boys. Doesn't it make sense to keep a productive vet around, you know, just in case they aren't ready, which they won't be.

We will have at least two veterans starting on the D-line (Pouha, DeVito), and our two rookies have the best 3-4 D-Line coach in the business coaching them up in Rex Ryan. We'll be fine.

I'm also very excited to see what Ropati will bring to the table.

Don't get it.

I'm not a fan of keeping aging players on the team for sentimental value as their skills decline, but Ellis isn't in that category. I believe he was tied for the team lead in sacks. That's pretty good for a 3-4 DE. Not like we don't need a pass rush from up front. IMO Ellis has at least a year, and probably 2 left as a productive player. If we can sign a 34, and 37 YO WR off someone else's roster, why not keep a productive vet from our own?

I don't know who this signing is that they are hoarding all this money to sign is, but he better be damn good.

flgreen I agree Ellis had a few more productive years left in him. He played pretty damn good in last years playoffs which tells me hes far from done if he could go a full gruling season then be productive in the playoffs as well. Funny how a player like Mason is OK yet ran out of gas at the end of the season and did 0 in the playoffs .

@Slats I didnt know that league min counted that little towards cap. I still think I might have forked over the cash to Ellis since were around 10 mil under right now. Apparently the offer was a slap in the face to a player who never complained about salary and worked hard for years. If he was washed up then by all means dump him but I think we know hes not washed up.

Don't get it.

Agreed... rookies with no time to learn the system starting on the d-line? We are going to get run all over!

Lost a step... again a meaningless phrase. Shaun Ellis has lost a step but Derrick Mason hasn't?

Lost a step = old players.

The Jets offered both Ellis and Mason the veteran minimums, because they are old players. Mason took the deal, Ellis did not. My point is that the Jets have historically been the ones who over-pay for veteran Pats players, and in this case, we see the Jets being out-bid by the Patriots for an old Jets player.

Its a nice change of pace... we get younger... and the Patriots commit the same fan-foul by signing Ellis, as the Jets did when they signed Jason Taylor.

Lost a step = old players.

The Jets offered both Ellis and Mason the veteran minimums, because they are old players. Mason took the deal, Ellis did not. My point is that the Jets have historically been the ones who over-pay for veteran Pats players, and in this case, we see the Jets being out-bid by the Patriots for an old Jets player.

Its a nice change of pace... we get younger... and the Patriots commit the same fan-foul by signing Ellis, as the Jets did when they signed Jason Taylor.

Young, old, either way you need depth. I like some of these moves but we have lost a ton of depth.

I think it's worth pointing out that most of the cheesesdicks lauding the Jets for dumping Ellis and Cotchery were also the same ones shredding Revis for holding out.

I'm a Jets fan, I care about the team more then the players. I understood Revis hold out and won't call him an a$$hole for it like some did but it sucked donkey balls for the team.

Archived