Schottenheimer Jr will not scrap our wildcat formation.

JetsFanFromQueens

Schein on Jets Nation says Shotty has made public that the wildcat will stay, with Joe McKnight at the helm.

The Jets averaged 7 yards a play running the Wildcat last season. The most efficient team in the league. I'm amped to see what Joe McKnight can bring to the table when running our wildcat formation, for the simple fact, he could turn out to become a better in between the tackles runner when compared to Brad Smith. McKnight, Greene and Tomlinson could become a force when Shotty calls for the wildcat.

Yeah, not particularly surprising at all. I've been saying all offseason to those celebrating the death of the Wildcat that it will still be alive and well with McKnight, as well as Kerley, at the helm. Schotty hasn't learned anything in his 5 years with the team, not sure why anyone would think he'd start now. :-P

LT can throw the football too.

stats may show he's thrown for 7-8 TDs, but ever seen him throw? It better be near the goal line and it better be a good fake.. He was able to throw for TDs because he was scoring 20 a season, so when he got the rock, teams over committed.

I thought the only reason to have the wildcat in the first place was to occupy some of the limited practice time teams have during the week. Are there any teams out there right now (besides the Bengals) that are really perplexed by the wildcat?

The wildcat isn't all about the threat of throwing the football as some make it out to be. It's about keeping the defense off balance and behind our offensive line? Shotty Jr has used it to our advantage. I have no problem with us running the WC formation a good 2-3 times per game on 2nd and 4, 3rd and short, 1st and 5 types of situations. It's all about keeping our opponents off balance with productive plays.

Have McKnight under center, Shonn Greene running in motion pre-snap, fake the handoff to L.T and watch McKnight rumble through the L.O.S breaking off a run that leads to a 1st down. The defense had to focus on Greene being in motion while having to read and react with Joe faking the handoff to L.T. We could also have McKnight under center, with Shonn Greene running in motion, hand the ball off to Greene in stride and allow Greene to take advantage of the defense due to either confusion or hesitancy on the D's part or simply great run blocking by our offensive line. We could use Greene in the same types of ways that Miami featured Ricky Williams. We have plenty of offensive fire-power, I hope to see us use it every which way possible.

Yes, Sanchez is heading into his 3rd year as our franchise QB, but he's still a little raw and it's our coaching staffs responsibility to protect Sanchez, but this go around? Without the handcuffs. We can still use the wildcat as a way to keep opposing D's off balance, protect Sanchez, while still allowing Sanchez to come into his own with a larger role in our offensive scheme.

To make a long story short, it would have been foolish for an offensive coordinator to scrap a formation out of the playbook, a formation that averaged 7 yards per carry. Believe me, Brad Smith isn't that good. He's not a 7 yards per carry type of all-world talent. No one is. He's good, but our offensive line is better. McKnight will enjoy some success rushing behind our front 5. All the TC reports have it, that Joe McKnight has been outstanding thus far. He'll get his chance to shine this up coming season.

I thought the only reason to have the wildcat in the first place was to occupy some of the limited practice time teams have during the week. Are there any teams out there right now (besides the Bengals) that are really perplexed by the wildcat?

It got 7 yards per carry last year. :D

Also I haven't looked at the Jets early opponents with new defensive coordinators but the wildcat is something a lot of them won't have time to prepare for. Not prepare like they would like to...

I tolerated it over the years because Smith was such a dynamic weapon that I was just happy to see him get touches. He was surprisingly tough to bring down and made quick, great decisions and reads. I'm a little more apprehensive using it with McKnight if they plan on using it in the same way. If they want to just get him the ball quicker with a direct snap than that's fine, but using him as an option QB is something I don't really want to see that much.

I'd rather the team actually learned how to run a successful screen every now and then instead of spending time installing the Wildcat with McKnight.

Terrible news. The wildcat held us back all year. It only worked when Smith turned the play into megayards. He had that one big run back against the Bengals, which brought up the average for the year to 7 yards, when in reality, 75% of the time the WC got 2 yards max. It's not like we actually gained 7 yards each wildcat play. That stat is very deceptive as it failed most of the time and if not for that one TD by Brad Smith, the average would be 2, maybe 3 yards absolute max.

Without Brad Smith, our offense is better sticking with its top guns. Sanchez, Holmes, LT and Greene. I trust them on a 2nd and 8 much more than the stupid WC offense.

The first thing I thought to myself when I saw the title of this thread was McKnight. I think he's going to blow up this year. He was great in the Buffalo game and played fantastic on ST's during the playoffs. Might take until several weeks in to the season, but the capability is that obvious. Looked like a couple lights went on toward the end of the year and with Smith and Leon gone, combined with LT having just a year left, there's such an opportunity for the team to capitalize on him.

Terrible news. The wildcat held us back all year. It only worked when Smith turned the play into megayards. He had that one big run back against the Bengals, which brought up the average for the year to 7 yards, when in reality, 75% of the time the WC got 2 yards max. It's not like we actually gained 7 yards each wildcat play. That stat is very deceptive as it failed most of the time and if not for that one TD by Brad Smith, the average would be 2, maybe 3 yards absolute max.

Without Brad Smith, our offense is better sticking with its top guns. Sanchez, Holmes, LT and Greene. I trust them on a 2nd and 8 much more than the stupid WC offense.

If you take out Brad Smith's long run for the year (53) last year, his average was still 6.6 ypc. If you take out his long run the year before he goes from over 11 to 8.8 ypc.

Can you use it every play, every series? Hell no.

But for the Jets it has proven to be a nice change of pace. The average is misleading because of how few carries Smith actually had. In 5 seasons he has 767 rushing yards in total.

If you take out Brad Smith's long run for the year (53) last year, his average was still 6.6 ypc. If you take out his long run the year before he goes from over 11 to 8.8 ypc.

But for the Jets it has proven to be a nice change of pace. The average is misleading because of how few carries Smith actually had. In 5 seasons he has 767 rushing yards in total.

Great post. After 5 years with the Jets, he's put up 98 rushing attempts for 767 rushing yards... Which comes out to an average of 7.826. Kind of throws out the clueless claims by Barcsit that we "failed most of the time and if not for that one TD by Brad Smith, the average would be 2, maybe 3 yards absolute max". Brad Smith was explosive, but his big runs were also a product and result of one of the best offensive lines in all of football. Joe McKnight should be fun to watch. Just like the Denver O-Lines of the 90's... Lose one back, plug in another. That's what we're on the verge of doing from Brad Smith to Joe McKnight.

I wasn't talking about Smith or his career. Those posts justify exactly what I was saying. Smith is great. I was talking about the success rate of the wildcat play itself run by the Jets last year. All in all, it rarely gave us the first down or more than 2-3 yards. I gotta try and find some stats about the exact success rate of the wildcat, because yes due to Smith making big time plays, the average gets manipulated. I want success rate percentage (times when the WC gained more than 3 yards).

And what are Sanchez' stats after each of those? What are the results of the drives the Wildcat is used generally?

To me it looks like a momentum killer and I usually watch Sanchez struggle due to these types of dopey decisions. Again, Tom Moore will be vehemently against its use.

The first thing I thought to myself when I saw the title of this thread was McKnight. I think he's going to blow up this year. He was great in the Buffalo game and played fantastic on ST's during the playoffs. Might take until several weeks in to the season, but the capability is that obvious. Looked like a couple lights went on toward the end of the year and with Smith and Leon gone, combined with LT having just a year left, there's such an opportunity for the team to capitalize on him.

Completely agree on this. I think people write off the last game because it was Buffalo, but the kid still put up the second highest rushing total they gave up to a back all season, behind a line featuring the likes of Vlad Ducasse and with feared passer Mark Brunell under center. But what caught my eye even more so is what you alluded to, his play on special teams. The guy worked his way onto the field in large part by getting into the good graces of Mike Westhoff, which tells you a whole lot. Given the rough start he had, I think it speaks volumes about the kind of hard work he put in to break the game day roster on special teams and not only that, do a fantastic job at it. By season's end, McKnight was even beating Brad Smith to the punch as a gunner, and that's saying something. I'm definitely pumped to see what he can bring to the field on offense, because it's been made abundantly clear the Jets plan to make sure he gets his opportunities this year.

If used properly I think it can certainly be a benefit, but more than anything, it's about eliminating the instances of awful timing of those plays. If you're looking for a spark and to get things going when the offense isn't getting it done, by all means give it a shot. But when you're driving down the field and Sanchez is hitting his rhythm, it's absolutely infuriating to see him get pulled off of the field. As serphnx mentioned, there's definitely been a number of instances where Sanchez walks back out onto the field and is completely thrown off, particularly in the instances where the wildcat play fails. Even when things are going well, too often Schotty just tries to get too cute, and it backfires way more than is even remotely acceptable. When the normal offense is moving along well, there's no reason to go and change anything.

If used properly I think it can certainly be a benefit, but more than anything, it's about eliminating the instances of awful timing of those plays. If you're looking for a spark and to get things going when the offense isn't getting it done, by all means give it a shot. But when you're driving down the field and Sanchez is hitting his rhythm, it's absolutely infuriating to see him get pulled off of the field. As serphnx mentioned, there's definitely been a number of instances where Sanchez walks back out onto the field and is completely thrown off, particularly in the instances where the wildcat play fails. Even when things are going well, too often Schotty just tries to get too cute, and it backfires way more than is even remotely acceptable. When the normal offense is moving along well, there's no reason to go and change anything.

Good point, as Sanchez matures the need for the wildcat is diminished.

Tom Moore is going to be like WTF in the first coaches meeting when it comes up. Why would you use that. Uh, Tom because we don't have Peyton Manning on this team...

Here's a blog talking about the Wildcat used in 2010, with some stats as it related to Smith QBing it for the Jets. Worth a lookse:

http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-jets/2011/07/05/around-the-web-new-york-jets-brad-smith-was-the-best-wildcat-back-in-2010/

The best wildcat quarterback in 2010 was by far the lesser-known Brad Smith. The backup receiver ran the ball from the wildcat 30 times for 212 yards and a touchdown … 7.1 yards per run. Half the time he handed the ball off, and the Jets other rushers had 4.0 yards per carry and a touchdown.

He didn’t try to pass often, but did complete a pair on three attempts for 3 yards each; one of them going for a touchdown. As the season progressed, the Jets used Smith in the wildcat more and more often. In Week 17 against the Bills, when the Jets had their playoff spot secured, they used him at QB 13 times, and in those plays he managed runs of 20 and 40 yards.

If McKnight can step in that role and be effective, then yea I think it has a place on this offense. There's no need to give up on something that has been effective in the past for us. Yes we lost our WC QB, but it is definitely worth a shot to plug someone else in there first before giving up on it. AT least let McKnight have a go at it first before dismissing it. The more tools and looks this offense can give to opposing D's the better. Anything that will help Sanchez out, I'm all for. If there's one thing we need to do this season is to start scoring more points...especially in the the first three quarters. I believe besides the blowout to The Patsies, the rest of our losses were all close, with a few being withing four points. Anything that can close that gap and put points on the board I'm happy with them trying.

You mean you don't enjoy the times when Schotty runs three straight times from the 5 yard line or calls for three straight throws from the 1-yard line?

I dont mind the wildcat so much but I do mind how Shott uses it. Too many times when Sanchez just seems to be getting in a rhythm Shott calls a wildcat play which seems to gain some yards but you dont call it at the opponents 20 or 30 yard line when the offense is rolling and the defense is in tight. Personally I think it should be called on the other side of the 50 yard line with big play capability in mind when the defense may be more spread out. I would also like to see some wrinkles like putting Mark in the backfield rather than lining him up wide putting him out there wide just accomplishes nothing.

I dont mind the wildcat so much but I do mind how Shott uses it. Too many times when Sanchez just seems to be getting in a rhythm Shott calls a wildcat play which seems to gain some yards but you dont call it at the opponents 20 or 30 yard line when the offense is rolling and the defense is in tight. Personally I think it should be called on the other side of the 50 yard line with big play capability in mind when the defense may be more spread out. I would also like to see some wrinkles like putting Mark in the backfield rather than lining him up wide putting him out there wide just accomplishes nothing.

What about when T.Rich lines up wide? That usually scares the crap out of the defense.

What about when T.Rich lines up wide? That usually scares the crap out of the defense.

LOL no kidding. Its like we're telling the defense , "hey guys dont worry about this side of the field"

No worries JIF this year will be lining that Speed demon John Connor out wide.

Can McKnight throw? The wildcat is counterproductive without a mobile quarterback imo. The only reason it worked for Miami for a while is that no one had seen it in the pros before. I don't care how many ways you can run the ball; if the guy taking the snap can't throw the ball, the defense has a lot less to worry about.

Can McKnight throw? The wildcat is counterproductive without a mobile quarterback imo. The only reason it worked for Miami for a while is that no one had seen it in the pros before. I don't care how many ways you can run the ball; if the guy taking the snap can't throw the ball, the defense has a lot less to worry about.

False. The Jets were running it long before that a$$ whipping the Dolphags put on the Patriots a couple of years back...we just never used it exclusively like they started to.

And Smith rarely threw out of that formation...but I agree, its kind of stupid if there's no threat to throw. Kerley threw a TD pass in college, but to answer your question...I have no idea if McKnight can throw, my point is...its doesnt really matter because we barely threw it to begin with.

While I agree to an extent, Brad Smith couldn't throw for sh*t either, so I'm sure they're not particularly worried about it. Granted he was a college QB, but his passes were horrid and he threw a grand total of what, like 5 times in his entire Jets career? It was certainly not what opposing teams were keying in on when he was under center, at least not after the first year they did it once teams realized he was running 99% of the time. If anything, my guess is they'll be using McKnight in that spot the same way they did Leon a couple of years ago, while using Kerley in more of the Smith role, as he was a high school QB as well as running those types of plays in college. That said, either way I hope we see a whole lot less of it.

And what are Sanchez' stats after each of those? What are the results of the drives the Wildcat is used generally?

To me it looks like a momentum killer and I usually watch Sanchez struggle due to these types of dopey decisions. Again, Tom Moore will be vehemently against its use.

This is my main issue with the way it's been run. A change of pace type play is called for when you are not satisfied with the pace you're on.

Sanchez, like many young QB's is (or was) very streaky. When his throws are on, you keep him behind the center. A disproportionate number of our WC plays seemed to come after Sanchez hit someone for a key reception. Then instantly he's pulled for Brad Smith and the wildcat. That, to me, is just dumb. More often than not, it was a small gain and instead of taking a snap after he'd just completed a first down pass, Sanchez was then taking a snap on 2nd & 8.

I wonder what percentage of the time that happened and the chains never got moved again on the drive.

When we do that, to me it's like having a starting pitcher get 3 up 3 down, then the next strike out the first batter of the next inning on 3 pitches, then bring in your quirky submarine pitcher to face the next batter for a change of pace (say, putting the starter in RF for that one batter), then after that batter gets a 2-0 count on him you put the starter back on the mound. Not the most perfect analogy as no one does that in baseball, but you get the idea.

Anyway I'm fine using it as we've had a lot of success with it. I'm just not a fan of using it while our streaky QB is on a hot streak.

False. The Jets were running it long before that a$$ whipping the Dolphags put on the Patriots a couple of years back...we just never used it exclusively like they started to.

And Smith rarely threw out of that formation...but I agree, its kind of stupid if there's no threat to throw. Kerley threw a TD pass in college, but to answer your question...I have no idea if McKnight can throw, my point is...its doesnt really matter because we barely threw it to begin with.

While I agree to an extent, Brad Smith couldn't throw for sh*t either, so I'm sure they're not particularly worried about it. Granted he was a college QB, but his passes were horrid and he threw a grand total of what, like 5 times in his entire Jets career? It was certainly not what opposing teams were keying in on when he was under center, at least not after the first year they did it once teams realized he was running 99% of the time. If anything, my guess is they'll be using McKnight in that spot the same way they did Leon a couple of years ago, while using Kerley in more of the Smith role, as he was a high school QB as well as running those types of plays in college. That said, either way I hope we see a whole lot less of it.

I see. I'm not a huge football fan so I wasn't aware of the Wildcat until Miami pwned us. Just because Smith didn't throw doesn't mean he couldn't have if he needed to, right? If you have a guy who can throw, the D has to stay honest. I guess Wildcat is ok when done sparingly. I just don't like it because it usually telegraphs the run.

Archived