Schottenheimer Jr will not scrap our wildcat formation.

JetsFanFromQueens

I see. I'm not a huge football fan so I wasn't aware of the Wildcat until Miami pwned us. Just because Smith didn't throw doesn't mean he couldn't have if he needed to, right? If you have a guy who can throw, the D has to stay honest. I guess Wildcat is ok when done sparingly. I just don't like it because it usually telegraphs the run.

The wildcat style plays work on the Jets because they've used elusive runners in the QB role with a solid line in front of them. That's it. There's not a lot of trick to it. A direct snap is just a faster way to get the ball to your primary ball carrier. Then, rather than being a threat to throw, he'll be a threat to pitch it back in an option play. That fake pitch can be enough to freeze a defender and gain more yards.

Does anyone have stats for the wildcat separated out by the defenses it was played against? It is nice to say it gets 7 YPC, but how much does it get if you remove the stats from the game against the Bills, for example?

Does anyone have stats for the wildcat separated out by the defenses it was played against? It is nice to say it gets 7 YPC, but how much does it get if you remove the stats from the game against the Bills, for example?

Forget the Bills, I'm pretty sure on average the Bengals give up about 50 YPC to Wildcat plays.

Seriously though, it's definitely very hit or miss on a game by game basis, but it really is more than just a game or two of success. If you're really curious, just look at Brad Smith's game log, and there's plenty of 10+ YPC games, but also a number of 2 YPC games.

http://www.nfl.com/player/bradsmith/2506916/gamelogs

He was 5 for 60 in that game against the Bills. Certainly a good game, but even removing it entirely doesn't cripple his average. His rushing average for the season was 7.9 ypc, without the Bills game it's 7.2.

He's a good player, and the play work itself works.

He was 5 for 60 in that game against the Bills. Certainly a good game, but even removing it entirely doesn't cripple his average. His rushing average for the season was 7.9 ypc, without the Bills game it's 7.2.

He's a good player, and the play work itself works.

I'm not trying to denigrate Smith (he had a couple good runs against the Pats too). I just have a hard time making conclusions about other teams' players based off any X per Y stat, when I don't want them play regularly. It is easy for those stats to be skewed by a couple really good or really bad games.

I'm not trying to denigrate Smith (he had a couple good runs against the Pats too). I just have a hard time making conclusions about other teams' players based off any X per Y stat, when I don't want them play regularly. It is easy for those stats to be skewed by a couple really good or really bad games.

I thought BSmith was a great jack of most trades guy while he was here, and I loved having him. I'm also happy the Jets didn't give him his 4/$16M deal.

I do wish he was out of the division, though, and do think he'll be a pain in both our arses. Chan Gailey made Kordell the original Slash. He's going to get everything he can out of BSmith. His averages will probably be down, but his totals will be up.

Archived