Practice Report: Tone, Plax and Mase

flgreen

Practice report: 'Tone, Plax and Mase

August, 8, 2011

Aug 8

7:52

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

After much anticipation, the Jets' Big Three at wide receiver finally lined up together in a practice.

In the first team rep, at precisely 3:42 p.m., Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason entered the huddle and fist-bumped their new teammates. Mason lined up in the slot, with Burress and Santonio Holmes on the outside. On the first play, Mark Sanchez completed a short pass to Mason, who beat nickel back Kyle Wilson.

Over the next five plays in the first session, the WR reps were divided this way: Holmes five, Burress three, Mason three, Jeremy Kerley three and Logan Payne three.

In the next team session (eight reps), Burress sat out. The WR reps were divided like this: Kerley five, Mason four, Michael Campbell three, Holmes two, Payne two and Patrick Turner one. At the end of practice, in the two-minute drill, the starters rested, with Kerley, Payne and Turner receiving the bulk of the reps.

Mason caught two passes, one from the slot, one from the outside. (Holmes also saw some time in the slot.) Burress didn't catch any. After practice, Mason said he felt good, but he admitted that his legs started to feel the fatigue about midway through the three-hour session.

FASHION STATEMENT: Mason wore pink cleats during practice. He got razzed by LB Bart Scott, his old friend from Baltimore, but there was a reason for the odd choice of footwear. Mason did it to honor his mother, who is battling breast cancer. She's in remission. Mason said he received permission from the coaches to wear the shoes.

BRINGING THE HEAT: Just because it's practice doesn't mean it doesn't get competitive between offense and defense. During a two-minute drill, when the pace is fast and tempers are short, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer berated an official for a bad spot on a sideline pass to LaDainian Tomlinson. I mean, Schottenheimer was hot. (He later apologized to the official.) Even mild-mannered Tom Moore, an offensive consultant, said a few words to the official.

Moments later, after a Sanchez-to-Payne completion over the middle, Schottenheimer yelled for a timeout. He also barked, "Get him some water" -- presumably meaning Sanchez.

Scott, on defense, snapped back, "Water is for b------!"

To which Schottenheimer fired back, "You want two-a-days, you got it" -- a reference to Scott's pre-camp comment about the NFL going soft by eliminating two-a-days.

Gotta love it.

KERLEY STRIKES AGAIN: The rookie from TCU enjoyed another strong performance. He made the catch of the day, a diving grab on an 18-yard out from Sanchez. The cornerback in coverage was none other than Darrelle Revis. Impressive stuff. In another drill, working with the second team, Kerley caught a couple of balls on Wilson.

Fellow rookie WR Scotty McKnight (seventh round, Colorado), working with the second group, scored on a 35-yard TD pass from Mark Brunell.

ODDS AND ENDS: Revis picked off Sanchez, jumping a slant route by Campbell. Overall, Sanchez was 4-for-10 in team drills, plus 3-for-8 in the two-minute ... RB LaDainian Tomlinson dropped a fourth-down pass in the two-minute drill ... Nick Folk went 3-for-4 in FGs, making from 33, 37 and 39 and missing from 48. Challenger Nick Novak was 4-for-4, making from 35, 39, 41 and 48 yards ... S Jim Leonhard (leg) participated in some team drills.

I know it's very early in camp, and D's always have an early advantage, but Sanchez has to get his % up to make the next step

and he was throwing to 2 guys practicing for the first time ever as jets

down tiger

KERLEY STRIKES AGAIN: The rookie from TCU enjoyed another strong performance. He made the catch of the day, a diving grab on an 18-yard out from Sanchez. The cornerback in coverage was none other than Darrelle Revis. Impressive stuff. In another drill, working with the second team, Kerley caught a couple of balls on Wilson.

This is pretty impressive. I know its only one play but you know that Revis is not just LETTING people make plays on him. Kerley is gonna make some noise this year.

I wouldnt be too worried about Sanchez's completion percentage. Thats why there's training camp, he needs to get some reps with these guys. This was the first day of practice together.

This is pretty impressive. I know its only one play but you know that Revis is not just LETTING people make plays on him. Kerley is gonna make some noise this year.

I wouldnt be too worried about Sanchez's completion percentage. Thats why there's training camp, he needs to get some reps with these guys. This was the first day of practice together.

I understand that. IMO the one thing that is separating Sanchez from being a top QB is his percentage.

If he can get it 60+%, and these WR's play at potential-------------------

I'm just very anxious to see that happen.

I understand that. IMO the one thing that is separating Sanchez from being a top QB is his percentage.

Same here and I think he'll do it this year! Just want the preseason to start already!

I know it's very early in camp, and D's always have an early advantage, but Sanchez has to get his % up to make the next step

There's an interview on nyjets.com with Sanchez and you can tell he's frustrated with his inconstancy and kept talking about how good the defense looked and they were basically ready to play. He kept saying how great it was for him to go up against competition like that...but I'm with ya, you'd hope to start hearing better numbers. I dont care who he's throwing to.

There's an interview on nyjets.com with Sanchez and you can tell he's frustrated with his inconstancy and kept talking about how good the defense looked and they were basically ready to play. He kept saying how great it was for him to go up against competition like that...but I'm with ya, you'd hope to start hearing better numbers. I dont care who he's throwing to.

I've heard the interview, and the good news is, He gets it. he knows what he has to do. I'm actually fairly confident he can do it.

Just impatient

I agree. I'm stating to bye into the Kerley hype. Another thing that's very interesting is "the mascot" Scotty, is playing with the #2's, not the camp fodder guys. he's also made some nice plays.

This could get interesting. I know, I know it's only been two pads practices.

"Scott, on defense, snapped back, "Water is for b------!" <- LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though Scott is highly paid, for the Jets he is worth it. He gives the D an attitude.

In his presser Rex said, to paraphrase, "We got pushed around by Pittsburgh in the first half, that won't happen this year, we got some big boys now. Six of them". Scott's the guy that brings the fire.

I agree. I'm stating to bye into the Kerley hype. Another thing that's very interesting is "the mascot" Scotty, is playing with the #2's, not the camp fodder guys. he's also made some nice plays.

This could get interesting. I know, I know it's only been two pads practices.

Scotty looked really good as the returner in some special teams drills i saw.

Scotty looked really good as the returner in some special teams drills i saw.

His path to making the team is thu special teams. It's not like Patrick Turner has a lock on a roster spot, or that it's impossible for the Jets to carry 6 WR's this year.

I'm psyched to see this Kerley kid play next Monday, though. I think the Jets might get more production out of their #4 WR than they're used to.

I agree with you Jimmy. Yes Sanchez is practicing with these guys for the first time but his inconsistency is what keeps him in the middle tier of QB's. He gets his percentage up and he will take his place among the better QB's. Combine that with his ability to make plays in big game and we will have a QB that can get wins for us. But for now your spot on my brother.

His path to making the team is thu special teams. It's not like Patrick Turner has a lock on a roster spot, or that it's impossible for the Jets to carry 6 WR's this year.

I'm psyched to see this Kerley kid play next Monday, though. I think the Jets might get more production out of their #4 WR than they're used to.

Absolutely agree on all counts. Assuming there isn't any major disparity in offensive performance, the last WR who makes the roster is probably going to be the one who can fill Brad Smith's gunner spot more so than anything. With McKnight's emergence as a gunner late last year it doesn't need to be someone fantastic, but just someone to play on the other side and good enough to hold their own and do the job properly. McWhite would be smart to make sure he becomes Westhoff's new best friend.

Archived