Chris Johnson continues holdout

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6846737/chris-johnson-tennessee-titans-ignores-deadline-report

Chris Johnson continues holdout

Tuesday is the deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs in order to earn an accrued season toward free agency. That apparently isn't enough to motivate Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson to end his holdout.

Johnson did not report Tuesday, continuing his training camp absence, which has reached 12 days.

Johnson, who has two years left on his contract, appears determined to secure a lucrative long-term deal, rather than an accrued season toward free agency.

By contrast, Philadelphia Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, who has one year left on his contract, reported to training camp Monday and is eligible to become a free agent after this season.

Johnson said in 2010 he wanted a new deal with $30 million guaranteed. The Titans revised his contract by boosting his 2010 salary by $1.5 million to $2.05 million to convince the running back to report.

Johnson is heading into his fourth season and due to make just $800,000 in base salary. The final two years of his deal can max out at roughly $2.7 million.

The Titans have said they are willing to talk with Johnson about his contract, but want him to report before those discussions can take place.

Johnson can be fined $30,000 for each day of camp missed, but he wants to be rewarded for his production from his first three seasons. He became only the sixth man in NFL history to run for at least 2,000 yards, when he ran for 2,006 yards in 2009, and the first to rack up 2,500 yards with 500 yards receiving.

He followed that by running for 1,364 yards in 2010, despite finishing the season with a bruised thigh. He has started 46 of the 47 games he has played since being drafted 24th overall in 2008 out of East Carolina.

Johnson has 4,598 career yards, averaging 5 yards per carry, and also has 1,008 yards receiving.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

I don't have the same animosity when a RB holds out. Guy racked up 2500 friggin' yards in a single season. As likely as not, he's going to get a severe injury or the carries are simply going to take their toll on him before he's able to cash out on a deal worth tens of millions of dollars.

Rookie RB contracts should have had their own special category, like a max of 3 years and can't be franchise or RFA tagged. Their careers are so friggin' short. Even if they're longer they are hardly ever elite playmakers for a long time.

Different from Revis IMO in that way. No one's going to keep Chris Johnson in a well-paying contract into his 30s. Without a new deal he's not going to be a UFA until he's 28 and then he'll get franchised if he's still anywhere near what he is or has been.

I understand where CJ is coming from but its gonna be hard to get what he wants when you consider how the RB position has evolved and been devalued. RB is now a committee position and they don't last as long as they used too especially if you use them as much as they did to CJ last year.

Sperm your right, RB should have its own special category since their shelf life is the shortest.

I don't have the same animosity when a RB holds out. Guy racked up 2500 friggin' yards in a single season. As likely as not, he's going to get a severe injury or the carries are simply going to take their toll on him before he's able to cash out on a deal worth tens of millions of dollars.

Rookie RB contracts should have had their own special category, like a max of 3 years and can't be franchise or RFA tagged. Their careers are so friggin' short. Even if they're longer they are hardly ever elite playmakers for a long time.

Different from Revis IMO in that way. No one's going to keep Chris Johnson in a well-paying contract into his 30s. Without a new deal he's not going to be a UFA until he's 28 and then he'll get franchised if he's still anywhere near what he is or has been.

I felt that's what the NFLPA should've been fighting for for all players, not just RB's. Three year contracts, and no RFA at all in exchange for the rookie cap. The league made out well with the four + one deal they got.

And, of course, good for Chris Johnson. He deserves a big deal. It'll be interesting to see what he gets. The Titans know all about RB careers, too, and will probably continue to be reluctant to pay.

I felt that's what the NFLPA should've been fighting for for all players, not just RB's. Three year contracts, and no RFA at all in exchange for the rookie cap. The league made out well with the four + one deal they got.

And, of course, good for Chris Johnson. He deserves a big deal. It'll be interesting to see what he gets. The Titans know all about RB careers, too, and will probably continue to be reluctant to pay.

See, I don't really agree with that. Teams often put more time and training investment into other positions where the players mature more slowly but last longer. RB's are more likely to burst onto the scene right away but they fizzle out the fastest.

See, I don't really agree with that. Teams often put more time and training investment into other positions where the players mature more slowly but last longer. RB's are more likely to burst onto the scene right away but they fizzle out the fastest.

The players have a union, and a union needs to treat all the players the same. Everyone understands that QB's might make a little more out of the chute, but they don't have special rules (i.e.: contract lengths) to go along with that. If the union were to propose a special deal for RB's, I'm sure the league would want longer contracts for QB's as a part of it (or something else).

The players have a union, and a union needs to treat all the players the same. Everyone understands that QB's might make a little more out of the chute, but they don't have special rules (i.e.: contract lengths) to go along with that. If the union were to propose a special deal for RB's, I'm sure the league would want longer contracts for QB's as a part of it (or something else).

I'm not saying I don't see the problem with it, but you know as well as I that all positions are not the same.

I'm not saying I don't see the problem with it, but you know as well as I that all positions are not the same.

Yup.

When the Jets drafted kicker Mike Nugent, he was paid more than the average 2nd rounder because his agent argued that he'd be an immediate starter and Terry Bradway cleverly agreed.

True story.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6852667/tennessee-titans-great-eddie-george-backs-chris-johnson-holdout

Eddie George: Pay Chris Johnson

Updated: August 11, 2011, 9:34 AM ET

ESPN.com news services

Unhappy with his contract, running back Chris Johnson still hasn't reported to Tennessee Titans training camp. Eddie George, the franchise's all-time leading rusher, said Wednesday that Johnson has a point.

"I look at the organization and most of the onus is on them, because they told him they would take care of him after last year," George told the (Nashville) Tennessean. "From Chris Johnson's perspective, I don't blame him for not being there. He has to do what he has to do because he is one of the top backs in the NFL and the window for a running back is small. He has to get his deal now where he has leverage.

"Chris shouldn't have had to hold out because there has been ample time to get a deal done, and you can't hide behind the fact the CBA was the holdup. To me, it's unfortunate Chris is even having to go through this because I know he wants to be there practicing with his teammates."

George, a four-time Pro Bowl player who is atop the Titans' rushing list with 10,009 yards, said it's "uncalled for" that the Titans have put themselves in this position as new coach Mike Munchak is trying to prepare his team for the season.

"Mike Munchak is doing all he can to put his thumbprint on the organization and Chris is his best player," George told the newspaper.

Johnson said last year that he wanted a new deal with $30 million in guaranteed money. The Titans revised his contract by boosting his 2010 salary by $1.5 million to $2.05 million to convince the running back to report.

Johnson is heading into his fourth season and due to make $800,000 in base salary. The final two years of his deal can max out at roughly $2.7 million.

Johnson can be fined $30,000 for each day he misses camp, but he wants to be rewarded for his production from his first three seasons. He became only the sixth man in NFL history to run for at least 2,000 yards, when he ran for 2,006 yards in 2009, and the first to rack up 2,500 yards with 500 yards receiving.

He followed that by running for 1,364 yards last season, despite finishing the season with a bruised thigh. He has started 46 of the 47 games he has played since being drafted 24th overall in 2008 out of East Carolina.

Johnson has 4,598 career yards, averaging five yards per carry, and also has 1,008 yards receiving.

"It definitely behooves everybody to make him happy so everybody can win," George told the newspaper. "Does he deserve a new contract? Absolutely he does. He has outperformed his other one. It's now time to stop messing around and get the deal done."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Chris Johnson HAS to get his money now. RB's typically only last until they are 30 years old. Johnson is holding all the cards here. There is absolutely no incentive for him to show up and earn 800k this year. If he gets hurt he makes nothing. Even if he sits out the entire year he's still gonna get a contact next season that will be so lucrative that it would be worth sitting out rather than risking injury. The Titans either need to pay him or trade him, and if they feel they can't pay him they are best served to trade him now while his value is still high.

Maybe each rookie contract should have a "Holy dogsh*t this guy is freakin great clause?" If a rookie makes it to being top 3 at his position before his contract is up they should get some extra cash.

And if they end up JaMarcus Russell they need to pay some money back, right?

Chris Johnson HAS to get his money now. RB's typically only last until they are 30 years old. Johnson is holding all the cards here. There is absolutely no incentive for him to show up and earn 800k this year. If he gets hurt he makes nothing. Even if he sits out the entire year he's still gonna get a contact next season that will be so lucrative that it would be worth sitting out rather than risking injury. The Titans either need to pay him or trade him, and if they feel they can't pay him they are best served to trade him now while his value is still high.

TRADE FOR THIS BEAST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0SwmvhBko

Actually if he doesn't show up at all he loses a year of eligibility towards becoming a UFA. It's # of years played, not # of years since he was drafted. Next summer would be the same as this summer except he'll be a year removed from playing. He does not hold all the cards. In fact, he doesn't hold too many cards at all - outside fan and FA backlash - since no one expects the Titans to be contenders this year anyway. Unfortunate, but true.

Actually if he doesn't show up at all he loses a year of eligibility towards becoming a UFA. It's # of years played, not # of years since he was drafted. Next summer would be the same as this summer except he'll be a year removed from playing. He does not hold all the cards. In fact, he doesn't hold too many cards at all - outside fan and FA backlash - since no one expects the Titans to be contenders this year anyway. Unfortunate, but true.

He already passed that date, so that is no longer in play. It was never a serious issue though because he has zero interest in becoming an FA, he's looking to get paid now.

They really should just pay him. I think what will happen is they will secretly work out a deal with him beforehand, then he will show up to camp and him and his agent and the team will all go sit in a room for a few hours and chill. Afterwards they will all claim they came to a quick agreement after CJ reported and everyone is happy with it.

The Titans will never admit they had the deal worked out beforehand so it doesn't look like they caved, whilst CJ2k will basically claim the deal was worked out insanely quickly showing how much the team valued him after all. Both sides claim victory and only the fans buy into any story.

He has no intention of being a FA in two years. I highly doubt TEN is going to let this go longer than this full season just to be jerks. They'll eventually cave and pay him or trade him. Johnson's only move was to hold out.

He already passed that date, so that is no longer in play. It was never a serious issue though because he has zero interest in becoming an FA, he's looking to get paid now.

They really should just pay him. I think what will happen is they will secretly work out a deal with him beforehand, then he will show up to camp and him and his agent and the team will all go sit in a room for a few hours and chill. Afterwards they will all claim they came to a quick agreement after CJ reported and everyone is happy with it.

The Titans will never admit they had the deal worked out beforehand so it doesn't look like they caved, whilst CJ2k will basically claim the deal was worked out insanely quickly showing how much the team valued him after all. Both sides claim victory and only the fans buy into any story.

Wow did I lose track of time.

I agree I think that is the most likely scenario. We've all seen this movie before.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hguWKOI2Q-2w1eCEAKXLARaXW0jA?docId=12afec7c29e74dcbb7dffc8a62547042

Titans GM: Ready to make CJ NFL's highest-paid RB

By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The Titans are ready to make Chris Johnson the highest-paid running back in NFL history — all he has to do is show up at camp so they can finalize the deal.

General manager Mike Reinfeldt told The Associated Press on Thursday that Johnson's agent was the first person they called once the NFL's lockout was lifted. The Titans reworked Johnson's contract a year ago to give him more money in 2010 and promised to talk to him again a year later.

But the Titans want Johnson in training camp before completing a new extension.

"Even though he has two years left on his contract, we'd like him to go in," Reinfeldt said. "He could go to meetings, get to know the new coaches, he can learn the scheme. He doesn't have to practice, but it's something we want to get done.

"Again, we're willing to make him the highest paid running back in the history of the NFL. That's kind of where we are."

The running back's agent, Joel Segal, was not immediately available. The agent has declined to comment during the contract negotiations, and Johnson did not immediately respond to text messages to his cell from the AP.

But Johnson told The Tennessean he was surprised to hear that Reinfeldt said that he would make him the highest paid running back ever. Johnson said neither he nor his agent has received any offer from the Titans.

"Maybe they talked, but I guarantee we never received any offer," Johnson told The Tennessean.

Johnson was the 24th overall pick in 2008. But he has more yards rushing (4,598) than any other running back in the NFL over the past three years, was the sixth player in league history to run for at least 2,000 yards in 2009 and is a three-time Pro Bowler. Johnson is due more than $1 million instead of the $850,000 scheduled originally thanks to the Titans' revisions in 2010.

He has refused to report until he gets a new contract, though he did take part in a two-day player-organized minicamp in June. Johnson mentioned he'd like $30 million guaranteed for his new contract back in 2010. He missed his 11th day of practice in camp Thursday, and the Titans open the preseason Saturday night against the Minnesota Vikings.

Carolina recently gave DeAngelo Williams a five-year deal valued at $43 million with $21 million guaranteed. Adrian Peterson of Minnesota is in the final season of his original five-year contract, earning more than $10 million this season. Steven Jackson got a six-year deal worth $44 million with more than $20 million in bonuses in August 2008.

Reinfeldt said they already have talked about the framework of this new deal for Johnson and think the extension could be wrapped up in a couple weeks. Tennessee has a new coach in Mike Munchak after parting with Jeff Fisher in January, and that means a new offensive coordinator as well.

The Titans and Johnson's agent have had discussions this week. But the Titans want Johnson to report for camp before diving into final negotiations.

Johnson's holdout has been a hot topic among fans since training camp opened on July 29. Some have called the Titans cheap on talk radio, Twitter and message boards for not paying Johnson what he wants; others point out Johnson is under contract and should show up.

Munchak said after practice that he's just looking forward to getting it all worked out.

Fullback Ahmard Hall was excited to hear of Reinfeldt's comments. Hall said he talked to Johnson two days ago and planned to call him Thursday night thinking this latest development will give the running back incentive to come to Nashville.

"I think he'll come in," Hall said. "As long as they're expressing they're willing to give him something, I think he'll come on in."

Tennessee officials generally do not talk about contract negotiations and never confirm salary information. Reinfeldt said they don't want to poison any relationships.

"The reality is you hope those players are with you for 10 years and what you don't want to do is destroy a 10-year relationship over a two-week contract negotiation," Reinfeldt said. "People get upset at some point, we all come back, we're all family.'

The general manager was in the Seattle front office when left tackle Walter Jones held out for all of training camp, reported on the Friday before the Seahawks' season opener before starting all 16 games and earning a Pro Bowl berth. But Reinfeldt said the new coaching staff is key here.

"With his position, it's important he's here meeting people," Reinfeldt said. "I don't think he needs to carry the ball 30 times in the preseason to be ready for the regular season. For a running back, it's more important he's here to learn his teammates and learn the offense. Beyond practice time, he's got the natural ability."

Follow Teresa M. Walker on Twitter at www.twitter.com/teresamwalker

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

• 2 weeks later...

Trade for this beast?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/08/titans-chris-johnson-nowhere-near-a-deal/1

Titans, Chris Johnson nowhere near a deal

By Jim Wyatt and David Climer, The Tennessean

Aug 21, 2011

The Tennessee Titans still haven't made an offer to RB Chris Johnson, who is holding out for a new deal with two years left on his contract.

The two sides aren't even in the same ballpark on parameters of a deal, Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said.

"We've discussed parameters. If we can't agree on the parameters, there's no sense making offers," Reinfeldt said Saturday night before the Titans played the Rams. "If your parameters are different … and if you are talking a different language then you are wasting your time.

"We've talked to his agent and will continue to talk to his agent."

Johnson is scheduled to make a little more than $1 million this season. He has missed the first three weeks of training camp and two preseason games.

Johnson returned to Nashville for personal business and has no meetings planned with the Titans, said sources familiar with the situation.

Johnson, who has spent the past few months working out in Orlando, Fla., also has a residence in Nashville. His agent, Joel Segal, could not be reached for comment.

Reinfeldt has said the Titans are willing to make Johnson the highest-paid running back in the NFL. Johnson wants a contract that would rank with the game's "elite" playmakers.

So far, the two sides have been unable to get on the same page about things, including signing bonus or guaranteed money. Johnson, however, now has another deal to reference.

WR Larry Fitzgerald agreed to an eight-year, $120 million contract with the Cardinals on Saturday. The deal reportedly includes $50 million guaranteed.

Johnson greeted news of the deal on Twitter: "Congrats to @LarryFitzgerald god is good." Fitzgerald responded "thanks CJ you up next my guy."

Fitzgerald is now tied with Raiders DT Richard Seymour for the fifth-highest average salary in the NFL. The top four belong to quarterbacks — Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers.

agreed they are considered washed up at 30, and it is legal to blast them helmet to helmet on every play

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821ac33b/article/status-update-johnson-flying-to-nashville-to-titans

Status update: Johnson flying to Nashville to talk with Titans

Holdout running back Chris Johnson said he will fly to Nashville Tuesday night for a Wednesday meeting with his agent, Joel Segal, and Tennessee Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt.

"Flying out to Nashville tonight to meet with Joel and the GM in the morning to see which way were going. Could get better or worst," Johnson wrote on his Twitter page.

Johnson, who recorded 1,609 yards from scrimmage and 12 total touchdowns last season, has stayed away from Titans camp while he waits for a new long-term deal that would rank him with the NFL's "elite" playmakers.

He has two years left on his contract and is scheduled to make a little more than $1 million this season instead of the $850,000 originally scheduled, thanks to the Titans' revisions last season. Johnson, meanwhile, has maintained since last year he would like $30 million guaranteed in his new deal.

Johnson returned to Nashville this weekend for personal business, sources told The Tennessean, but left Sunday without meeting the Titans. NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi reported that Johnson's agent, Joel Segal, sent a new proposal to the Titans before Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald's eight-year, $120 million contract was announced late Saturday.

Reinfeldt revealed to The Tennessean on Saturday that the sides are so far apart that the organization hasn't even made an offer to Johnson.

"We’ve discussed parameters. If we can't agree on the parameters, there's no sense making offers," Reinfeldt told the newspaper. "If your parameters are different -- and if you are talking a different language -- then you are wasting your time.

"We’ve talked to his agent and will continue to talk to his agent."

The Titans open the season Sept. 11 against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

After the lockout ended not many focused on how much the players gave in to the demands of the owners and how owners walked away with a lot of their very lofty demands.

I know most fans do not like Roger Goddell and rightly so but he did the owners bidding very well in the last lockout!

Right now CJ does not hold a lot of cards except fan pressure. IMO it would have been different if he was playing in the NYC market as compared to say Tenessee.

I dont think there is any issue with him holding out, but how reasonable the holdout is depends on what is being offered and what he really is seeking. I wrote a little something on him just because I was curious about the RB market the other day since this is likely one of the last 2 really big deals we see at the position for the foreseeable future (I guess Gore could get a big deal to, but I think that will be more funny money than anything else). He should get the 30 million or so guarantee, but he cant get an annual amount per year on the whole deal that comes close to approaching the Williams deal or anything else. Those numbers have to be factored into the deal somewhere. I think a fair number is around 10.3M per year but thats new money on the extension years of the deal(either 4 or 5) not just handing him a 6 year 65 million dollar deal.

I was curious about the RB market the other day since this is likely one of the last 2 really big deals we see at the position for the foreseeable future (I guess Gore could get a big deal to, but I think that will be more funny money than anything else).

AP's rookie deal expires after this season, unless I'm mistaken.

The loss of a year was unimportant in this case no matter what. Hes on a 5 year deal and only needs 4 years to become unrestricted under the new rules. So the loss of a year does not effect his free agency in any way, shape or form.

Archived