matt jones got his 4th TD reception this past weekend

afosomf

I thought he was supposed to win the MVP this year, too? Shatter receving records? I think he's been a bust so far (according to your preseason hype).

this kid is no bust, he is doing better than any rookie WR. He plays on a real conservative Delrio Offense.

4tds in last 5 games!

I never said MVP and i said probowl within 3 years, he may do it next yea

I think Jones struggled early, but he's really coming on strong....ESPN recently reported, despite the slow start, he's got the best stats of all rookie #1 picks at WR, by far.

Jax started him off slow, running 4 or 5 plays a game for him -- mostly short routes.

But now they seem to have taken the leash off him and he's doing much better....And, he's doing this in a very bland Jax offense.

Imagine if Jerry Jones of Dallas had the courage to draft this kid (as many thought) and he had Bledsoe winging the ball downfield to him on every play?

Everybody knows about Jones' workout speed (blinding for a man his size), but realize he dropped only 1 throw in several hrs. of workouts in front NFL scouts last spring......It was the last throw of his final workout and he was visably upset.

If he doesn't get injured, he'll be a very good NFL player....Dare I say star?

Here's my favorite DD.com feature from last spring, done by GJ & Ham =D>

http://draftdaddy.com/prospects/mattJones.cfm

I think Jones struggled early, but he's really coming on strong....ESPN recently reported, despite the slow start, he's got the best stats of all rookie #1 picks at WR, by far.

Jax started him off slow, running 4 or 5 plays a game for him -- mostly short routes.

But now they seem to have taken the leash off him and he's doing much better....And, he's doing this in a very bland Jax offense.

Imagine if Jerry Jones of Dallas had the courage to draft this kid (as many thought) and he had Bledsoe winging the ball downfield to him on every play?

Everybody knows about Jones' workout speed (blinding for a man his size), but realize he dropped only 1 throw in several hrs. of workouts in front NFL scouts last spring......It was the last throw of his final workout and he was visably upset.

If he doesn't get injured, he'll be a very good NFL player....Dare I say star?

R44- we are on the same page! This kid will be the next TO without the tude!

Here's my favorite DD.com feature from last spring, done by GJ & Ham =D>

http://draftdaddy.com/prospects/mattJones.cfm

I was not referring to you specifically afosomf- it just we tend to throw these titles around loosely like busts or all-pros too soon

i am going out on the limb here, I wanted Jets to trade up for him, I believe he will be the Big Toe

if you catch my drift.

And that's the fact Jack.

What movie for 5 bonus points

this kid is no bust, he is doing better than any rookie WR. He plays on a real conservative Delrio Offense.

I think Jones will be real good, but playing devil's advocate, how much of him having the best rookie numbers is the fact that his coach is actually putting him on the field?

I'd be interested to see how his number of plays stacks up against Braylon Edwards, Mike Williams, Troy Williamson, Mark Clayton, etc. I give DelRio a lot of credit for working him into the lineup early.

He's also, other than Williamson (pre-Culpepper getting hurt), got the better QB by far of any of the rookie WRs.

I think Jones will be real good, but playing devil's advocate, how much of him having the best rookie numbers is the fact that his coach is actually putting him on the field?

I'd be interested to see how his number of plays stacks up against Braylon Edwards, Mike Williams, Troy Williamson, Mark Clayton, etc. I give DelRio a lot of credit for working him into the lineup early.

He's also, other than Williamson (pre-Culpepper getting hurt), got the better QB by far of any of the rookie WRs.

Hello..... this is matt's 1st year as a WR, the other stiffs have been doing it their whole career. and Matt DNP play much in his 1st 5 games.

The Kid is going to be a Freakin Superstar and we had a chance to trade up for this kid? what did we get? JolleyRoger and a kicker who has sucked wind so far.

Hello..... this is matt's 1st year as a WR, the other stiffs have been doing it their whole career. and Matt DNP play much in his 1st 5 games.

The Kid is going to be a Freakin Superstar and we had a chance to trade up for this kid? what did we get? JolleyRoger and a kicker who has sucked wind so far.

Did you miss where I said he'll be real good? He's made an incredible transition to WR. I was agreeing with you, just not ready to leap to "he's going to be a superstar" level hyperbole. Declaring him a Pro Bowl player in year 2 lowers the credibility of your argument.

Whether or not Edwards and Williams have been doing it their whole lives, if Crennel and Mariucci and the rest don't put them on the field, how are they going to put up numbers? Thats why I brought up the possibility of PT differences.

As R44 said, DelRio made a concerted effort to get the kid 4-5 plays a game (hell the kid had 4 catches against us in week 3, and 3 the week after) so the whole "he didnt play much the first 5 weeks" doesnt wash. He's had no less, and probably more PT than the others as far as I can tell. Hell, they were running pass plays and runs for him early on, which again speaks to Delrio actively getting him involved.

I'm trying to figure out how he's having a better year than Braylon Edwards in your estimation. He's got 4 TDs - great - Braylon Edwards has more catches per game, more total yards (in 2 less games), more yards per game, more yards per catch, and more yards after the catch.

Hell, I feel dirty even comparing WRs by the numbers they put up without looking at offenses, the QBs they play with, the rest of the talent on the team. If you want to look at 4 TDs in a vacuum and proclaim him the next TO, go ahead, but I think you'll be the only one.

If you want to say he's got a bright future and is having the best season of any WR who played QB in college, I will agree 100%.

Sure Jax has a conservative offense, but its got to be easier to succeed as a rookie WR with Leftwich, a vet like Jimmy Smith, and a coach willing to put you on the field.

4tds in last 5 games!

I never said MVP and i said probowl within 3 years, he may do it next yea

No, you very clearly said MVP, Pro Bowl, All Pro, and HOF'er, all with in the first five games of his career, during his pre-draft hype. You made your man crush on him very clear. I'm not saying he's not good. I'm saying that he's still a rookie. Can he end up as a HOF'er? Sure, why not? Will he? I dunno. Never seen the kid play.

But, to say he's going to be a pro bowler, then to give him a crutch, saying he's in a conservative offense... that's a load of crap. You're giving him an excuse, just in case he doesn't live up to your hype.

i am going out on the limb here, I wanted Jets to trade up for him, I believe he will be the Big Toe

if you catch my drift.

And that's the fact Jack.

What movie for 5 bonus points

Lets all have a round of appluase for our bestest buddy, and biggest toe...SGT Hulka.

Bill Murray. stripes. Next best line: "Either of you two ever been convicted of a felony?"

"Convicted? No, no. Never covicted"

"Are either of you homosexual?"

"No. But we are willing to try."

Before we put Matt Jones in the HOF is the same way we want to call guys bust after 10 games played in their career.

Faba, i really like Jones. I wanted him to fall to the Steelers soooooooo bad and was disappointed when it appeared we hadda settle for Heath Miller. Well now that i actually have proof that the TE can be included in our passing game (no lie, TE used to stand for Tackle Eligible for us) i have no problem at all with the Miller pick. But given the choice, i'd still pick Jones though cause he has that speed that ya just can't coach.

Archived