Ducasse Appears on the Cusp of Doing Big Things

flgreen

LOL nice Clerks reference

let me also add

Drob was a 4 pick, Gholston was a 6 pick and Vlad Ducasse was picked 61 overall. But it's a trilogy of failure.

next you're gonna tell me that the Scotty McKnight pick will doom the franchise

Drob shouldn't be in that group. At least he made a contribution here.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and let me also add Drob started 80+ games, 32 in his first 2 years, including 2 playoff wins, he had over 100 tackles and an avg of 3+ sacks a year until he left the Jets, which he did after his knee basically wore out. As far as draft picks go there are worse draft picks than Drob. For example Jon Sullivan taken 2 picks after Drob was out of the league in less than 3 years.

Even Gholston you guys spent hours bashing about how worthless he was, he got signed to the Bears in about 5 minutes after free agency started, and there were other teams in the hunt. I remember threads on this board saying he'd never get another job.

Why wouldn't Gholston get signed right away? He's a former top 10 pick that got cut in three years. He was healthy and in shape. That will 100% guarantee you get a second chance in the NFL. You follow the NFL closely, and you know this. Aaron Maybin will likely get picked up by someone else. Andre Wadsworth got a look from us because he was a former first round pick, does that mean something to you in the long-term? Teams were interested in Jamarcus Russell but didn't bring him in because he's a lazy fat-a$$. It's usually by the time your second chance is over that your draft status becomes irrelevant.

+1

He's not sure of what he's doing, and as a result looks much slower on the field than he actually is.

I'm not one to pile on young players, and I'm not going to start with Ducasse. The guy was drafted as a project. He didn't even know what a football was until he was in 11th grade. No one was hurt more by the lockout than Vlad. This guy is in serious need of intense one-on-one coaching. The Jets may've drafted him too high, but that will result in him sticking around beyond this season to get a chance to prove he was worth the pick.

In the meantime, I certainly agree that he's not ready for primetime. The Jets definitely need to find additional depth on the waiver wire.

Which begs the question, why the hell did the Jets invest a 2nd round pick on such a massive project. What's actually scary is that the Jets were rumored to be considering taking him in the 1st.

All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

Speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.

Speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.

Exactly. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.

and let me also add Drob started 80+ games, 32 in his first 2 years, including 2 playoff wins, he had over 100 tackles and an avg of 3+ sacks a year until he left the Jets, which he did after his knee basically wore out. As far as draft picks go there are worse draft picks than Drob. For example Jon Sullivan taken 2 picks after Drob was out of the league in less than 3 years.

Even Gholston you guys spent hours bashing about how worthless he was, he got signed to the Bears in about 5 minutes after free agency started, and there were other teams in the hunt. I remember threads on this board saying he'd never get another job.

:rl:

Listen, call me if this guy makes the final roster in Chicago. I suspect all those other teams in the hunt are going to get another crack at him. I'm sure they were devastated when the Bears outbid them with their ginormous 1yr/$1M contract offer.

Which begs the question, why the hell did the Jets invest a 2nd round pick on such a massive project. What's actually scary is that the Jets were rumored to be considering taking him in the 1st.

I don't disagree, but I do think Ducasse could be one of those players who all of a sudden just switches on and plays lights out. I'm also very sure the Jets will give him the time he needs to flick that switch.

Vlad's problems are technique not his physical gifts. I think there is still potential in this player. Whether Callhan and rex can make him meet his potential, we shall see.

Matt he seems to have no peripheral awarerness-that last sack he gave up he didn't even notice the guy coming outside and was blocking the RG's man and then said oops and it was already too late

my point is why does everyone remember the 2 bad draft picks but we take the 10 good ones for granted?

And my point is that you consistently make side points that have nothing to do with the topic of how much you suck at trying to convince everyone that bums aren't bums. Kid's a bum. It's that obvious.

I don't disagree, but I do think Ducasse could be one of those players who all of a sudden just switches on and plays lights out. I'm also very sure the Jets will give him the time he needs to flick that switch.

I don't see it slats-the guy has no football sense-any of us would know to block the guy to our right-Ducasse has no peripheral vision or awareness it seems-I was watching him last night in slo-mo and he is REALLY bad-REALLY REALLY bad-he is endangering the other players out there bad. Like working with a drunk on the other side of a scaffold dangerous since we're using work metaphors here today-I worked on swing stage scaffolds for years

He's going to get ...or give another job ... like Steve Martin in The Jerk ...

C'mon bit - I watched the Bears pre-season opener and Gholsten got his big chance after Corey Wootton went down on the opening kick-off.

He played maybe about 3% above his standard Cigar Store Indian imitation. The Chicago rags are saying today that Wootton going down may be VG's chance to make the 53. Too bad Wootton will be back in 4-6 weeks. But then all those other teams that lost out in the big hunt can sign this beast.

Ducasse should never be allowed on the same field as Mark Sanchez.....

LOL. I'm thinking the same thing.

It's like in those action movies with a team of mercenaries or guys on a mission and 1 of them is an absolute nutjob who you know is going to eventually screw everything up. You keep wondering why the hell they bring him along? That's Ducasse. The Jets are playing russian roulette with Sanchez with him in there.

They even had him on the the right side where the QB can see the pressure, but the QBs were still getting crushed.

I played o-line back in the day and your first responsibility is the inside gap on pass protection. that being said, maybe vlad thought that he had a RB to pick up the LB blitz. I dont know why I am defending him, he played like shiz, just know that play could have been someone elses assignment.

just sayin...

LOL. I'm thinking the same thing.

It's like in those action movies with a team of mercenaries or guys on a mission and 1 of them is an absolute nutjob who you know is going to eventually screw everything up. You keep wondering why the hell they bring him along? That's Ducasse. The Jets are playing russian roulette with Sanchez with him in there.

They even had him on the the right side where the QB can see the pressure, but the QBs were still getting crushed.

SMC-I was watching him in slo mo and he is clueless out there as a football player. I mean it's really a simple game we all played sandlot ball and you KNOW when somebody points and says "you got that guy" Ducasse has no football sense of awareness-it's actually scary to watch

Ducasse is on the cusp of being this years Vernon Gholston on the offensive side of the ball.

he's more dangerous that Vernon Gholston EVER was vj-he's so bad he endangers his teammates Gholston never even did that-he's just get stood up like a cigar store indian play after play

I leave a better record than yours in the bowl every morning. Then I have coffee. No coffee for you.

Max should start a forum called the Hater's forum you, Rut, Bleed, and other haters can hang out there, bashing everything, contributing nothing

whens the last time you made a call Aten, one way or the other?

here's how these threads work, Vlad makes mistakes in preseason game 1, it's 9 pages of gloom and doom

eventually he becomes a starter and plays ok, no one says boo

we've seen this before countless times

if a guy isn't instantly good, everyone says he sucks

im willing to wait and see

Max should start a forum called the Hater's forum you, Rut, Bleed, and other haters can hang out there, bashing everything, contributing nothing

And to think, I have gone out of my way to avoid getting tied up in this nonsense with you lately, but since you felt the need to drag me into it, here it is. Your problem is you're an arrogant prick, and no matter how wrong you are, you treat everyone who dare disagree with you like they're a damn idiot. There is absolutely no reasonable discussion or debate possible with you. You act like everyone should bow down before your opinions because you're some bullsh*t amateur scout and god forbid you're ever right about a player it somehow justifies that we have to endlessly hear why everyone is wrong about how awfully bad other players who you inexplicably endlessly defend clearly are. I'm wrong about players and all sorts of things NFL-related plenty of times, the difference is I can actually admit it, and I don't act so vastly superior to everyone else every time I get something right. The best part of all, is you absolutely refuse to ever actually justify your stances and when others do, you completely disregard all facts and arguments that don't fit in with your point of view. You are simply right and they are wrong because you say so.

Ever think that maybe, just for a second, the reason you have issues with so many different posters might have at least just a little something to do with oh, I don't know... you?

SMC-I was watching him in slo mo and he is clueless out there as a football player. I mean it's really a simple game we all played sandlot ball and you KNOW when somebody points and says "you got that guy" Ducasse has no football sense of awareness-it's actually scary to watch

He's slow because he's clueless. He has a steeper hill to climb mentally than most. He does have god given size and athletic ability. I believe he's the kind of guy who can switch on one day. I really do. Obviously, sooner would be better than later, but I definitely believe the Jets will be willing to wait being that they've already spent a 2nd rounder on the guy. The only thing he really costs the team going forward is a roster spot.

He's slow because he's clueless. He has a steeper hill to climb mentally than most. He does have god given size and athletic ability. I believe he's the kind of guy who can switch on one day. I really do. Obviously, sooner would be better than later, but I definitely believe the Jets will be willing to wait being that they've already spent a 2nd rounder on the guy. The only thing he really costs the team going forward is a roster spot.

which will obviously be the case anyway bro-we all know the Jets never cut bait on their draft picks until the very last moment-especially high picks. The Pats, hate them as we all do are NOT afraid to do that. The bad part about our way is it can cost you a pretty good player and that player can come back to hurt you-we saw it with Danny Woodhead last year...it's just the way it is and I'm not saying we shouldn't have kept Joe McKnight but it is what it is-maybe we could have not had like 11 crappy TE's on the roster and made way for 1 more tailback

if a guy isn't instantly good, everyone says he sucks

im willing to wait and see

Bears DE Vernon Gholston "hasn’t shown a lot" in training camp.He was similarly invisible in the Bears' preseason opener on Saturday. The epic 2008 draft bust will get a few more chances to prove himself at defensive end in the Bears' 4-3 defense, but the odds he makes the roster are low. Aug 14, 12:38 PMSource: Chicago Tribune

Archived