Jets News 10-13

flgreen

Mason comments on Rex, Jets

October, 12, 2011

Oct 12

10:10

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

On his first day with the Texans, Derrick Mason sounded like a man thrilled to be starting over. He called it a "breath of fresh air," insisted he still can be a productive player and claimed he's done talking about the Jets.

"I come to a situation (with) a team that’s winning, a young team, an exciting team," Mason told the Houston media Wednesday, describing what his old team -- the Jets -- are not.

Mason didn't take any parting jobs at the team that traded him after only five games.

“I’m done, I just want to put that behind me as quickly as possible," he said." They can continue to talk about it if they want, but I’ve got a job to do, and that’s to come here and play good football. I can’t worry about what happened in New York. I enjoyed my two months there, if it was that. I enjoyed Rex (Ryan). I’ve been knowing Rex for a long time, but things just don’t last.

"Sometimes you go in with one thought as an organization and then you come out with another, so I think it was a win-win for everybody. I’m not upset. Like I said, I’m going to put it behind me as quickly as possible and move on.”

Mason disputed the Jets' contention that he wasn't getting it done on the field.

What I’m able to do out there on the field hasn’t diminished; the numbers may have, but if you watch me week-in and week-out, it’s the same guy," he said.

Sullivan: Rex sends message to underperforming Jets

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

By TARA SULLIVAN

RECORD COLUMNIST

FLORHAM PARK – Every coaching playbook comes with this call, a break-glass-in-emergency move designed to wake up a locker room coasting on its own comfortable casters. Goes something like this: create a diversion, find a scapegoat, and make an example.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan watches the action on the field during a recent game.

Rex Ryan went for his Jets’ jugular Tuesday night, dumping underachieving veteran wide receiver Derrick Mason for the NFL’s version of garage sale pricing, all but smacking the rest of his roster upside its collective head. The message is clear: A 2-3 record amid a hyped-up Super Bowl quest isn’t going to cut it, so watch out. If you’re expendable, we might cut you.

Mason wasn’t actually released by the Jets, but with player after player incorrectly describing the 15-year-veteran’s exile that way Wednesday at the Jets’ practice facility, he might as well have been. General manager Mike Tannenbaum made a late-night Tuesday swap, sending Mason to Houston in exchange for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.

Tannenbaum insisted the deal only happened because Houston called his office with a proposal, that he wasn’t shopping the underachieving, over-complaining player, but once his management signature completed the trade, it was his coach who reaped the benefit.

Not because it subtracted one of the more obvious culprits for a struggling offense; not because it elevated an exciting young rookie in his place. Ryan needed this move because he is desperate to regain control of a season careening too quickly into oblivion. And with a cold, bloodless axing of a man he personally convinced to relocate from Baltimore, he made it clear how far he is willing to go to reverse the Jets’ malaise.

“Anybody can be gone in this locker room,” All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis said. “I never thought we would cut him.”

Ryan and Tannenbaum were in full-spin cycle Wednesday, echoing each other’s assertions that Mason was not fired for causes that included a lack of knowledge of the offense, public comments that said offense had major “cracks” in the wake of the Oct. 2 bomb-out in Baltimore, or general locker room disruptiveness. Whatever shortcomings showed up in Mason’s play, no matter how good Jeremy Kerley played in his place Sunday in New England, this was about ringing an alarm, not retooling a roster.

“I think it has to,” said safety Jim Leonhard, another of Ryan’s Ravens imports. “If you’ve been around this long enough you realize stuff like this happens, and veterans are let go. Leaders in the locker room are let go. To have it happen right now, it’s definitely tough and a shock, but if they felt like a move needed to be made they obviously went out and made one. We can’t get caught up in that. We’ve got plenty of issues on the field to deal with.”

Indeed they do, with a defense that can’t stop the run and an offense that can’t find a groove. But perhaps the bigger concern is the byproduct of that badness — a loss of identity for a franchise that has reshaped itself in Ryan’s image, one full of bravado backed up by performance. Three losses in a row have ripped away a layer of confidence, and Ryan aims to scare it back into his team.

“This season is not over,” he said. “People want to throw dust on us, but we can affect the way this thing ends. … Any time you lose three games you’re miserable. We can’t wait to play and we have confidence we can get us a victory.”

In another move smacking of coaching savvy, Ryan makes this transaction before his team’s most winnable game in weeks. Baseball managers are famous for calling team meetings the night before their ace is on the mound, and you don’t see Ryan shocking his roster the week he heads north to New England, the game that immediately followed Mason’s bad night in Baltimore and the one in which it was apparent he’d already lost his starting job.

No, he saved this one in advance of a visit from the last-place Miami Dolphins, a Monday night home game that his team absolutely has to win. Ask yourself, would this have happened if the Jets were 4-1?

“It’s a good question,” Revis said. “I don’t know. If we’re 4-1, everyone is a little happier. But our record is what it is now and Derrick Mason is not the reason we have that record.”

Yet Mason takes the most obvious fall. While offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer got a vote of confidence on Monday, the player who reportedly complained to Ryan about Schottenheimer’s play-calling got nothing but a handshake and a plane ticket. Off-season overhauls that included choosing Mason to replace respected locker room presence Jerricho Cotchery (who asked for and received his release) look suspect now, with the receiving trio of Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Buress and Mason all struggling to find their place in Mark Sanchez’s world.

Ryan fired his warning shot Tuesday, greeting his team in Wednesday morning’s meeting with news of Mason’s exit. He exhorted his players to set a new foundation with old-school methods, building “brick by brick.”

“You have to start stacking bricks on Wednesday,” he told them. “You just don’t stack them on game day, and that’s it. That’s how we get better.”

Lay the bricks or hit the bricks. The new Jets way.

E-mail: sullivan@northjersey.com

NY Jets still talking about Darrelle Revis' chase and tackle of Wes Welker; Mangold misses practice

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, October 13th 2011, 4:00 AM

When Patriots receiver Wes Welker whipped past Jets safety Eric Smith and cornerback Darrelle Revis while running a route on the opening play from scrimmage in the second half last Sunday, he darted downfield, nothing between him and the end zone.

"He turned it into another gear," Revis said of Welker.

Revis revved his own engine, catching Welker at the 8-yard line and pulling him down at the 7. The Patriots eventually scored, but Rex Ryan recognized it as a display of a future of Hall of Fame cornerback refusing to submit.

"I took the Ferrari and stepped on the pedal," Revis said. "I was flying."

There will be no need for motivation Monday night when the Jets play the Dolphins. In August, Dolphins cornerback Vontae Davis declared that he and teammate Sean Smith were the best cornerback pair in the NFL. Revis, who is friendly with Davis, smiled away the challenge to him and Jets corner Antonio Cromartie.

"Vontae's the loudest guy on the Dolphins," Revis said. "I don't take it personal."

Revis, meanwhile, expects winless Miami to bring its best.

"We know this is going to come down to a dogfight," Revis said.

MANGOLD MISSING

Center Nick Mangold did not practice yesterday, working out with trainers on agility drills off to the side instead. Mangold returned to the starting lineup last Sunday after missing two games due to a high right ankle sprain. Ryan said he expects Mangold to play Monday night against the Dolphins.

NEW RECRUITS

The Jets signed WR Michael Campbell and DB Tracy Wilson to the practice squad. DL Martin Tevaseu was signed to the active roster from the practice squad.

PITOITUA SITS OUT

DT Ropati Pitoitua did not practice. He hurt his knee on the same play on which he recorded a sack against the Patriots. He had an MRI on Monday but doesn't expect to miss much time.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/13/2011-10-13_revis_gets_raves_for_island_hop.html#ixzz1afKr2tkk

Jets notes: Wayne Hunter up-and-down season on upswing

Thursday, October 13, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

FLORHAM PARK — Wayne Hunter had a good preseason and plenty of confidence heading into the regular-season opener against Dallas — his first opener as a starter.

But on the Jets’ first play from scrimmage, the right tackle gave up a sack to Dallas’ DeMarcus Ware.

"It messes you up mentally," Hunter said Wednesday. "This is my first go-round as a starter and it was hard for me to learn how to shake that off and move on."

But he did. Hunter also was somewhat shaky in Week 2 against Jacksonville — "average, at best" he called his performance — but has steadily improved.

"I just want to keep this going," he said.

He’ll have that chance Monday against Miami when he again matches up with outside linebacker Cameron Wake, who beat Hunter for two sacks in the Jets’ 10-6 loss to the Dolphins last December.

However, Hunter entered as a sub after then-starter Damien Woody reinjured a knee.

This time, he is able to prepare all week to face Wake, who already has three sacks this season.

"

It is better from a mental standpoint," Hunter said, "and even physically. I can go out there and work on techniques that I know Cameron is going to do. … It’s a lot easier knowing you’re the guy going into the game so you have a whole week of preparation."

"There’s no question, I think Wayne’s been playing pretty good," coach Rex Ryan said. "We know the kind of ability Wayne Hunter has. So I’m not surprised that he’s playing well."

MANGOLD SITS OUT: The Jets returned to practice with a light workout Wednesday and will practice today, Friday and Saturday in preparation for the Dolphins. Because they play Monday, the Jets were not obligated by NFL rules to give a practice report Wednesday, but Ryan provided what he called "bonus coverage" by admitting C Nick Mangold did not practice.

Mangold, who returned to action at New England on Sunday after missing two games with a high ankle sprain, implied Monday on a conference call that he was sore the day after the game, so that’s likely why he was rested.

Jets' OL Hunter improving after rough start

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:53 AM, October 13, 2011

Posted: 3:16 AM, October 13, 2011

You might think Jets tackle Wayne Hunter has nightmares about Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware, but Hunter actually wants another crack at him.

"If I had a chance to go against him again, I'd love to just because you always do better the second time around," Hunter said yesterday.

Ware bullied Hunter in the season opener, beating him for a sack on the first play of the game and taking off from there. That performance put a target on Hunter as one of the problems on the Jets offense, but he has quietly improved his play since then.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

"For me personally, it was rough," Hunter said of the Cowboys game. "I had a pretty good preseason so going into the first game I felt comfortable. Then, the first play of the game you give up a sack and that sort of messes up everything. I was finally able to get past that and go to Oakland and get my mind right."

Hunter replaced Damien Woody as the starting right tackle, and admits he felt the pressure.

"I think it was a little overwhelming just to know you're the guy," Hunter said.

Hunter said he feels like he hit his stride in Week 3 against the Raiders and has played well since.

Even in the offensive line's brutal performance in Baltimore, Hunter was not one of the main culprits.

"I think Wayne's been playing pretty good," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "We know the kind of ability Wayne Hunter has. I'm not surprised he's playing well."

Cornerback Darrelle Revis received plenty of text messages after chasing down Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker Sunday after Welker's 73-yard reception. Revis prevented a touchdown, showing remarkable closing speed.

"I haven't run that fast in so long," Revis said. "I was happy my hamstring was OK.

"Once I got home people were texting me, saying 'You were flying.' "

Revis agreed with their assessment, saying he knows Welker is not as fast as him.

"He did turn it into another gear, but I started the Ferrari and pressed on the gas a little more," Revis said.

Because the Jets don't play until Monday, they do not have to provide an injury report, but center Nick Mangold (ankle), DE Ropati Pitoitua (knee), CB Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) and CB Donald Strickland (head) did not practice.

Ryan said he expects Mangold to play Monday.

The Jets signed DT Martin Tevaseu to the active roster from the practice squad.

They added safety Tracy Wilson and WR Michael Campbell to the practice squad.

-- Additional reporting by Mark Cannizzaro

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/hunter_improving_after_rough_start_MWytzotKpsTB79u0vRkE4I#ixzz1afODXFaV

Smith has ‘no regrets’ leaving Jets for Bills

Jets Blog

By BART HUBBUCH

Posted: 1:48 AM, October 13, 2011

BUFFALO — The Bills hardly use Brad Smith, but the ex-Jets receiver, Wildcat quarterback and return ace still feels like he made the right move. Jumping within the AFC East feels even smarter to Smith now that his new team is 4-1 while his old team is 2-3 and under siege.

“Nah, no regrets,” Smith told The Post yesterday as the surprising Bills prepared to visit the Giants on Sunday. “I’m just excited to be with a team that’s winning games.”

Though that sounded like a zinger aimed squarely at the struggling Jets, Smith said he “isn’t that kind of person,” and that he doesn’t think about his former club aside from staying in contact with ex-teammates Eric Smith and Bart Scott.

Brad Smith does admit to being startled by the Jets’ three-game skid after they lost just six games all last season and are coming off back-to-back appearances in the AFC title game.

“They have more talent than that,” Smith said. “You don’t expect to see them there [near the bottom of the division].”

But the Jets' woes are none of Smith’s concern since he bolted to Buffalo for a five-year, $15 million contract. The Jets didn’t consider him a priority with the new kickoff-return rules expected to limit Smith’s effectiveness, and so far, coach Rex Ryan’s gamble in this particular instance is looking smart.

Not only does Smith have just four kickoff returns for just 82 yards in the first five games, but he also has only 11 carries for 44 yards and one pass attempt (an incompletion) out of the Wildcat formation. His receiving numbers are even more minuscule: two catches for 25 yards and no TDs.

When Chan Gailey will try to unleash the versatile Smith has become a big question here, but Smith isn’t asking it.

“I’m just going to stay patient and know my time will come eventually,” he said. “Everything’s fine when you’re winning.”

bhubbuch@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/bills_smith_has_no_regrets_seef2zt0zo6CZxCjK2VSWO#ixzz1afOwGUqD

Jets now have to count on Kerley for catches

Jets Blog

By MARK HALE

When Jets rookie wide receiver Jeremy Kerley received word of the Derrick Mason trade on Twitter on Tuesday night, he took it with a grain of salt. After all, Kerley said he doesn’t always consider Twitter reliable. It wasn’t until around 10 or 10:30 that night that the reality sunk in, when Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum called him.

“He was just like, ‘Are you ready to be the man in the third [receiver] spot?’” Kerley said yesterday.

“And I put 2 and 2 together. That’s how I was told.”

Mason is now with the Texans, and Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan said one of the factors behind the deal was Kerley’s progress. Though that might be just organizational spin, Kerley is going to become the team’s third receiver.

That’s a gamble because Kerley, who did not have a catch in the Jets’ first four games, is a rookie fifth-round pick from TCU who was taken 153rd overall in this past April’s draft. In fact, Kerley didn’t have one in last Sunday’s first half against the Patriots. In the second half, he grabbed three balls for 35 yards and a touchdown.

The Jets are built to win now, and they are entrusting a key job to a rookie. Are any of his teammates concerned about that?

“There’s rookies starting all over this league,” guard Brandon Moore said. “I don’t think it’s that big of an issue.”

“He knows the offense. He knows what to do,” cornerback Darrelle Revis said. “We have a lot of confidence in him.”

Said Kerley, “I’m definitely ready.”

The offense might change with Kerley in the lineup, and Ryan said his presence allows the Jets to put more reverses in the playbook.

“He is definitely a big speed guy, but Derrick Mason is by no means a slow guy,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “I think everybody is going to be surprised by how productive he is going to be.”

“Kerley is a rising star,” right tackle Wayne Hunter said.

Kerley has been the Jets’ punt returner as well, and said he still thinks he will perform that duty, despite his increased offensive role.

He also is planning on a celebratory dance for his next NFL touchdown. Kerley had it choreographed for last week when he scored, but he forgot all about it.

— Additional reporting by Mark Cannizzaro.

mark.hale@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/now_here_comes_kerley_WVV4b2ieAAwm7AOS1gf58N#ixzz1afPRVZfx

Jets not telling whole story on trade

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 8:49 AM, October 13, 2011

Posted: 1:47 AM, October 13, 2011

Body language can sometimes be as easy to read as a children’s book. The letters are big, there aren’t many pages and the storyline is simple to comprehend.

In the case of the reeling 2-3 Jets and their three-game losing streak, their story was easy to read in coach Rex Ryan’s body language yesterday.

While addressing the reason the Jets traded veteran receiver Derrick Mason, a move that flies against the Jets’ win-now existence, Ryan looked like he rather would be undergoing a colonoscopy than answering the barrage of questions regarding the curious matter. He spoke in circles, and the tone of his usually booming voice was monotone.

This is not to say that Ryan was lying when addressing why Mason, an accomplished veteran receiver who Ryan knew well from their days together in Baltimore, was traded away for a seventh-round draft pick. Let’s just say Ryan wasn’t delivering the actual truth.

The truth is when a husband tells his wife he went out for a few beers with the guys. The actual truth is that he was having those beers with the guys at a strip joint.

Ryan and Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum insisted Mason was dealt because of his poor production on the field — he left with 13 receptions, a paltry 8.8-yard average and no TDs. But they left out part of the actual truth.

Every bit of the way Ryan, who usually works a room with the aplomb of a seasoned comedian, fidgeted in front of reporters and the fact that, in a rare maneuver, Tannenbaum offered himself for an impromptu briefing told you there’s much more to the story than a player merely being traded away for poor production.

Where the actual truth really lies is up to our analysis and your interpretation.

Was it a message to the locker room that no one’s safe with the season in jeopardy of slipping away? Sure it was.

“Anybody in this locker room can be cut,” cornerback Darrelle Revis said.

“I look at it and say take care of your job because they’re not opposed to cutting anybody,” safety

Jim Leonhard said.

Did the trade have anything to with the comments Mason made about “cracks” on the team after the Jets’ blowout loss in Baltimore?

Though it’s true Ryan allows players to express themselves more than any NFL coach, that had to rankle him because it poked at his core as a coach, which preaches total team unity, and had to have some effect in the decision despite the denials.

Ryan was uncharacteristically mum when asked about the conversation he had with Mason before the New England game.

Tannenbaum was in full spin cycle, insisting that the move purely was based on poor production and the “emergence” of rookie receiver Jeremy Kerley, who caught his first three career NFL passes and TD Sunday at New England.

It’s true, Mason has been a non-factor and Kerley is a player with promise. But the way Tannenbaum and Ryan talked up Kerley yesterday made you wonder if Jerry Rice should be enjoying his records while they last.

Let’s not forget how thin this trade leaves the Jets’ receiving corps, which hasn’t been productive in general anyway.

All of this extracurricular chatter is characteristic of a team in turmoil. And whether the Jets want to admit it or not, that’s what they are — with no identity on offense and a defense that looks in the mirror and sees Hugh Jackman but in real life has looked more like Ordinary Joe.

“Yeah, we’re desperate,” right guard Brandon Moore said.

Ryan’s message in the team meeting, according to Tannenbaum and some players, was about “stacking bricks” in an effort to rebuilt their season, beginning with a win over the Dolphins on Monday night.

Defensive tackle Sione Pouha described Ryan’s mood in the meeting as “optimistic and realistic.”

“It’s going to be just us,” Tannenbaum said. “We’re all we have.”

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/team_talks_around_the_actual_truth_KjTalpokzyk51RygDMytWN#ixzz1afRA9vCj

Jets' Burress isn't buying explanation for Mason trade

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:58 AM, October 13, 2011

Posted: 1:48 AM, October 13, 2011

Two months ago, the Jets talked about Derrick Mason catching 100 passes and being like a third starting wide receiver.

Yesterday, they tried to explain why they dumped him eight weeks later, trading the wide receiver to the Texans on Tuesday. But the spin coming from the Jets did not even seem to be believed in their own locker room.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan delivered the company line, making rookie Jeremy Kerley sound like the next Jerry Rice, saying the Texans bowled them over with the offer of a conditional seventh-round pick and reiterating that their decision had nothing to do with Mason’s critical comments two weeks ago in Baltimore.

“Things didn’t work out on the field with Derrick,” Tannenbaum said. “We were committed to try to make it work and get him to play better on the field at a level he was accustomed to and at a level we were expecting. We got an opportunity when Houston called.”

Told that Tannenbaum had said Mason was traded because of his production, receiver Plaxico Burress scoffed.

“My production hasn’t been all that great either,” Burress said. “Santonio [Holmes’] production hasn’t been all that great either. You can’t just point at one guy. You can’t just say it was his production.”

Burress sounded like he believed Mason was an easy target because of how vocal he has been.

Mason ripped the team after the loss to the Ravens, saying there were “cracks” that no one wanted to address.

“Derrick happened to be the guy that was let go,” Burress said. “There’s been guys shuffled in and out for the last five weeks. When you’re a guy like Derrick Mason who wears what he thinks on his sleeve and speaks his mind, whatever people want to say about you, he kind of gets to be ‘that guy.’

But he’s a great teammate, great to be around.”

Burress said he was surprised to see Mason on the scout team last week, a move Ryan made after a conversation with the receiver the coach wishes to keep private. Mason then saw limited action Sunday against the Patriots, catching just one pass.

“I had a private conversation with Derrick and it will remain that way,” Ryan said. “He was not benched because of comments he made in the media and all that. That is not true.”

Mason told the Houston media he was not upset about the trade and did not get into details.

“They can continue to talk about it, if they want, but I’ve got a job to do, and that’s to come here and play good football,” Mason said. “I think it was a win-win for everybody. I’m not upset.”

Ryan, who knew Mason from their time together with the Ravens, struggled to explain the team’s decision. He kept leaning on the idea that Kerley has blown the coaches away and repeatedly said how much respect he has for Mason. The Jets spoke about Kerley’s three-catch performance Sunday like it was his first step toward Canton.

“I was probably the most excited guy in the building when Derrick decided to sign here,” Ryan said.

“For whatever reason, it hasn’t happened. We weren’t getting the balls to him or whatever it is. It’s hard to say.”

Sources said the Jets were frustrated with Mason’s grasp of the offense. They expected an easy transition for him since the Ravens’ offense is similar, but it never happened.

The Mason drama comes in the middle of a critical week for the Jets. After three straight losses, they are trying to fix what ails them before Monday’s game with the Dolphins.

“We’re 2-3. They’re all critical,” guard Brandon Moore said. “At this juncture to be 2-3, we’ve got to win our next two games. We’ve got to win a lot more after that. There’s a sense of urgency.”

Ryan gave a speech to the team yesterday that they can’t build a house on gameday without “stacking bricks” at practice.

“He made a point that you don’t build a house in one day,” Moore said. “You put the bricks on top of each other. Each day you’re improving and building upon it. That’s the way we have to approach this week.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/burress_doesn_buy_mason_explanation_SjTP3n3T2wDUNRHqPXkBMO#ixzz1afS3nOVq

Mike Tannenbaum & Rex Ryan try to explain Derrick Mason trade, Rex's player-friendly image takes hit

Filip Bondy

First Mike Tannenbaum, then Rex Ryan Wednesday tried their hardest to convince everyone that a conditional seventh-round pick from Houston was an irresistible lure, and that the Jets were all but forced to deal Derrick Mason out of love for Jeremy Kerley.

They mentioned Kerley, and the Jets' budget, and the salary cap and, of course, that great conditional draft pick. They said Mason wasn't a special teams guy, which made him more expendable. They insisted the Jets had enough depth at receiver, even though they don't.

They denied, with straight faces, that this trade had anything to do with Mason complaining with other receivers to Ryan about the offense, as reported in the Daily News, or Mason's critical comments about the offense after the Baltimore loss.

"It's not like we're singling out anybody ...," Ryan said. "It wasn't that he wasn't buying in ... I was the most excited guy in the building when Derrick signed here. For whatever reason, it wasn't working."

The Jets keep looking dumber and dumber on this, denying the existence or impact of events that surely influence their decision-making process. Ryan, as much as he hates to admit it, turns out to be like most other pro football coaches when the temperature flares. He has his limits. And the Jets are not so very different from the other members of the No Fun League after all, despite the happy talk and the be-yourself rhetoric.

Cross them, lose too many games, and maybe someone else gets your locker. Might as well be the Giants. How's that for a message to Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes? In the course of two weeks, Mason went from starter to scout team to Houston.

"You play 15 years in the league and they put him on the scout team," Burress said Wednesday.

"That had to be a surprise to him."

Burress had contacted Mason already, said his ex-teammate wasn't too upset about any of this, that it was just business. If the Jets were supposed to disown Mason, that wasn't going to happen. Jim Leonhard called Mason a warrior, said he saw the receiver play with a dislocated shoulder when they were teammates in Baltimore.

That doesn't make Mason Wes Welker. There were legitimate concerns with Mason, beyond his expressed discontent. He reportedly was having some trouble with the playbook and he was going home two days a week according to a preseason agreement with Ryan. He had just 13 receptions for 115 yards in five games - while working on a two-year contract that pays $1.3 million this season.

Mason was no great bargain. Then again, Mason was signed midway through camp as the team's projected No. 3 receiver. He was employed on only about half the snaps, and produced the stats you might expect from that situation. Even if Kerley has great potential and deserves this promotion, the Jets might have kept Mason around as insurance.

Instead, they dumped him. More importantly, they just might have forfeited the image, nurtured through three seasons with Rex, as the area's alternative-lifestyle franchise. It's bad enough they're losing these days. Now there is a little less charm to the Jets today, knowing they operate a very much like the other teams in the NFL.

"I understand where that conjecture comes from, it may look one way, but we can't control that," Tannenbaum said. "It has nothing to do with that. The hallmark of our program is that everybody has to be themselves. Rex wants to let guys be who they are. We're a merit-based organization."

Maybe they are, but now we know Ryan can be as cutthroat as any of his peers. It's part of the job description, if only he'd admit it. It's OK to be mean in the NFL. It's practically a prerequisite for a head coach in this league.

The Jets have this must-win game Monday night against the Dolphins, who have been terrible. Then they face three straight opponents who are all at 4-1. They are also now one injury away from an emergency at the receiver position.

Three straight losses, a trace of disharmony, it's suddenly not so much fun to be a Jet anymore.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/13/2011-10-13_mike_tannenbaum__rex_ryan_try_to_explain_derrick_mason_trade_rexs_playerfriendly.html#ixzz1afXuGunp

Man the press is making a big deal out of nothing again.

The guy wasn't productive, and decided to run his mouth during a bad run. You can get away with that if you are a productive player, not when you are ancient, and there is a 23 YO waiting for some snaps.

I hated the signing to begin with. Glad he's gone. Lets see what Kerley can do

Rex Ryan & Mike Tannenbaum point to Jeremy Kerley as one reason for NY Jets trading Derrick Mason

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Rex Ryan talks about the reasons for trading Derrick Mason, which include the veteran's inability to grasp the playbook and the emergence of rookie wide receiver Jeremy Kerley.

Howard Simmons/News

Rex Ryan talks about the reasons for trading Derrick Mason, which include the veteran's inability to grasp the playbook and the emergence of rookie wide receiver Jeremy Kerley.

Whether the Jets were in spin mode or telling the truth Wednesday behind their decision to trade Derrick Mason, here's the reality for a team at the crossroads: They must win on Monday night against the Dolphins to avoid a full-fledged free-fall.

Despite Mason's critical comments two weeks ago about "cracks" in the offense and a Daily News report that the veteran wide receiver expressed his displeasure about the offense to Rex Ryan in recent weeks, the team's brain trust insisted that the decision to deal him to the Texans for a conditional seventh-round draft pick was based on his disappointing performance.

Mason, 37, had just 13 catches for 115 yards through the first five weeks. GM Mike Tannenbaum and Ryan maintained that Mason's comments following the loss to the Ravens in Week 4 had nothing to do with the move.

"The hallmark of our program is that everyone has to be themselves," Tannenbaum said. "Clearly, that's the environment we have here. ... He just didn't play at the level that he had hoped and we had hoped."

A source told The News that Mason's criticism of the offense coupled with his inability to grasp the playbook led to his ouster. Ryan, who was on the Ravens staff for nine years - including 2005-08, when Mason was also with Baltimore - cited rookie Jeremy Kerley's potential as the primary reason for the Jets' decision to move on from the veteran receiver.

Tannenbaum maintained that Mason "would have been here for the balance of the season" if the Texans didn't call him Tuesday night. However, Ryan admitted that it would have been difficult to permanently demote Mason, who played only a handful of snaps against the Patriots on Sunday, to the No. 4 wideout spot since he isn't a special teams contributor.

"It's a fine line," Ryan said. "We're trying to win now. And (Kerley's) a young player that's actually going to ascend. We're excited about Jeremy Kerley, and I think maybe that's the thing that's getting lost here."

Ryan's bottom line was relatively simple. "The best players play," he said.

The general manager wasn't overly concerned about the perception that Mason's mouth forced the deal. The Jets saved money by finding a trading partner to pick up Mason's two-year contract rather than cutting him.

"It may look one way. We can't control that," Tannenbaum said. "What we can control is what's best for the Jets. ... We're a merit-based organization. When you deserve to play, we want to get you out there. Hopefully, that's the message that comes out of this."

Of course, very few offensive players have performed well during the Jets' three-game losing streak.

"My production hasn't been all that great either," Plaxico Burress said. "Santonio's production hasn't been all that great either. So you can't just point at one guy."

Most players weren't shocked when they heard the news that Mason was gone.

In five games for the Jets in 2011 Derrick Mason catches just 13 passes. (Andrew Theodorakis/News)

"Anybody in this locker room can be cut," All Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis said. "You've got to perform. We're a winning program. We want to win. That's all we want to do: Win games and be one of the best teams in the league and get Lombardi Trophies in here."

At 2-3, the path to the franchise's second Lombardi Trophy seems much more difficult.

"People want to throw some dirt on us," Ryan said. "Well, we can affect how this season ends."

Gang Green hosts the Dolphins and Chargers before its bye week.

"We got to win our next two games," right guard Brandon Moore said. "We got to win a lot more after that. So, there's a sense of urgency."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/13/2011-10-13_rex_ryan__mike_tannenbaum_point_to_jeremy_kerley_as_one_reason_for_ny_jets_tradi.html#ixzz1afaPZNgg

Transcripts: Tannenbaum & Ryan 10/12

by Bassett on October 12th, 2011 at 11:20 pm

General Manager Mike Tannenbaum, 10.12

On what precipitated the Derrick Mason trade…

Suffice to say, things didn’t work out on the field with Derrick. With that said, going back to what Rex (Ryan) addressed the other day, we were committed to try and make it work and get him to play better on the field, at a level that he was accustomed to and what we were expecting. We got an opportunity when Houston called yesterday. When we make these decisions, we look at a lot of things, obviously, the on-field performance of how he was playing, but the opportunity to get a draft choice. Obviously, a really big factor was the emergence of Jeremy Kerley and an opportunity to get him on the field in our three-receiver set. When we looked at all those factors last night, we’re always going to make the decisions that are best for us, and that’s the decision we arrived at.

On whether any off-the-field matters played a part in the Mason trade…

What’s been great for me working with Rex and Woody (Johnson) every day, I think the hallmark of our program is everyone has to be themselves. Clearly, that’s the environment we have here. What (Mason) said after the Baltimore game had nothing to do with the decision we made last night.

Obviously, the performance on the field wasn’t where he had expected it to be or where we expected it to be. What our program stands for, I think it’s a disciplined program, but it’s also a program that lets guys be who they are, let their personalities come out. We’re always going to make decisions, what’s best for the team, based on what we thought was going to give us the best chance to win on the field.

On whether he’s surprised that a veteran like Mason did not catch on to the offense sooner…

Why he wasn’t successful on the field, there’s probably a lot of factors that do go into that. Suffice it to say, he just didn’t play at the level that he had hoped and we had hoped. Going back to what’s best for the team, getting Kerley on the field we saw as a real positive, and that’s why we made the decision. Also, from my perspective, when you run the team, you look at things like budgets and salary caps and potential for draft choices and what you could do with those, so there are other factors that go into it, but Kerley was obviously a big factor in this.

On whether Mason’s influence in the locker room had any impact on this decision…

Not at all. The great thing for us was that Rex was with this guy for a long time in Baltimore. Here’s a guy that’s closing in 1,000 catches and he’s been productive for a long time. He would’ve been here had not Houston called. He was here for the balance of the season. He has a contract for next year.

The fact that Rex knew him is one of the reasons that we went after him. We made this decision based on what was going on on the field.

On whether he is concerned that he tinkered with the wide receiving corps too much by not brining

back Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery go in the offseason…

Where our offense is right now, we’ve certainly been inconsistent. I’m really encouraged by what’s going on in the building. I think those inconsistencies are going to be addressed. At times, our offense has looked productive, efficient, and other times, we’ve all seen it, it hasn’t been to the level we hoped or expect. With that said, I believe in the guys in the locker room, I believe in our coaching staff, the same coaches that have developed this quarterback and brought us to two AFC championship games. We have to get those inconsistencies addressed and it needs to happen soon, and we expect it to.

On whether he expects to look for another wide receiver…

We did add Michael Campbell to the practice squad today.

On whether he expects to add a wide receiver to the 53-man roster…

I wouldn’t rule anything out. We’re going to keep evaluating that situation and we’ll see. We also did sign (DB) Tracy Wilson to the (practice squad).

On the perception that trading Mason was a punishment…

I understand where that conjecture can come from. I’m fortunate to have this position, and my responsibility, with Rex and Woody every day, as great people to work with, is what’s best for the New York Jets. If it may look one way, we can’t control that. What we can control is what’s best for the Jets. Houston called us yesterday. We thought for a number of reasons, but principally, because we thought it was an opportunity to improve the play at that receiver position, we made that decision. The fact that how it lines up from a timing standpoint, I understand your point, but again, you’ve got to still make what’s in your mind, the best decision for the team.

On whether if a message is being sent to the team by trading Mason…

More importantly, what is the message is that when young guys ascend and deserve the right to play. Moving on from Alan Faneca was difficult, but we were encouraged by Matt Slauson. Moving on from Thomas Jones was difficult, we were encouraged by Shonn Greene. Quite frankly, (there was) a little leap of faith drafting Muhammad Wilkerson and not re-signing Shaun Ellis. Those guys were Jets and they did great things for us. Those are the tough judgment calls to make. For us, (we were) really encouraged by Jeremy (and) what he did through an abbreviated offseason. Look what he did in the Patriots game. We’re really excited about it. He’s earned that right. We’re a merit-based organization. When you deserve to play, we want to get you out there. Hopefully, that’s the message that comes out of this.

On whether he had tried to trade Mason before Houston called…

Let’s face it. The trading deadline’s a few days away. Conversations happen a lot this time of year, so I’m not going to go into any specifics. They called us yesterday and things moved quickly.

On what Mason’s reaction was to being traded…

Rex and I had a good conversation with him last night. I think he was initially surprised, but it was a good conversation. He’s a pro. You look at the man’s production. You don’t play for that long and that high (of a) level without being a pro who works at his craft. I think he’s going to do really good things down there. (He’s) obviously going to a very good offense.

On why the team didn’t keep Mason as the fourth wide receiver and promote Kerley…

We felt, given that position group, getting Jeremy on the field, getting a draft choice, looking at other things with all of the information, that was the best decision for us. Given the four receivers that we have now, with Patrick Turner playing, Logan Payne still hurt, it’s a position we’ll keep evaluating. If we need to address it, we’ll do that.

On Mason getting permission to go home to see his family every week…

I’m not going to go into all of the specifics of that except to say that when he came here everybody was on the same page of the expectations. The on-field performance wasn’t to the level that he had hoped (and) that we hoped, and I’ll just leave it at that.

On if he came to Mason to ask him not to make trips home…

Those conversations, I wouldn’t have those during the season. Those would be with Rex. I don’t know of any of those conversations, you would have to ask Rex about that.

On if there was a point in time when he knew it wasn’t working with Mason…

For me, it’s always about time, effort and energy to solve problems and make things better and try to improve the performance of the team. And he was here until he wasn’t, which was last night, so there was never a point where it wasn’t going to work in my mind, it was just when this opportunity came along and we looked at budgets and salary caps and Kerley and another draft choice, all those thing, and that’s when we made the decision. I think it’d be irresponsible of me to ever flip a switch and say, ‘Well, we can’t solve this problem, let’s just throw our hands up.’ That’s not our DNA, that’s not our personality and it’s incumbent upon us to take our resources and let’s improve the team the best we can and get these guys going.

On critics saying cutting veterans is the reason why the Jets are struggling right now…

Those are always the most interesting discussions when you sit down. From my perspective, you want to of course win for today and develop for tomorrow, and I think we’ve done a really good job of that. You look at the great organizations, Baltimore, New England, Philadelphia, the sustainable success. That’s what we want to be about and we want to just keep laying one successful season after another. And you can’t keep them all. In a free agency system, you can’t. So, we’re fortunate to have a great coaching staff that Matt Slauson could hit the ground running and Shonn Greene working with Anthony Lynn every day and that’s our challenge. Taking Muhammad Wilkerson in the first round and never looking back. Those are difficult decisions, but you have to weigh trying to win for today and develop for tomorrow, and those are the judgment calls, that to me, you have to make the right ones, which sometimes are difficult, but that hopefully will allow you to keep sustainability down the road.

On if he feels the team is thin at wide receiver…

Right now, we’re comfortable with what we have. We expect Logan Payne to come back at some point. Again, not a household name, but (he is) somebody we feel good about. We’ll keep evaluating that position with everything else as the season goes on, and we’ll see where we go.

On how he feels about this team right now…

Like everybody else, (I am) disappointed with the three-game losing streak, but I really believe in our program, the people, the work ethic and the fact that the attendance the last two days has been so good for these voluntary workouts. That’s kind of what we’ve been. That’s the environment that Rex has created, where guys want to be here, they want to get coached, they want to get developed and we just have to play more consistently. I think we’ve seen, at all three phases, levels of good performance. Now, we have to put it together and we have a great opportunity on Monday night to try and do that.

On if he is concerned about the character and leadership in the locker room…

I feel really good about it. The LaDainian Tomlinsons of the world, the Bart Scotts, the Darrelle Revises and the David Harrises, we have a battle-tested group in there that’s been through it. It’s just us. That’s all we have, and that was part of Rex’s message today. Let’s go stack one brick on top of the other and have a good practice. Again, we have a great opportunity Monday night to show what we can do and I’m expecting a good week of preparation, but that locker room is filled with a lot of great guys.

On if Coach Ryan’s confidence and bravado make this losing streak more challenging…

I love Rex, but it’s like I said a few minutes ago, he is who he is. He is abundantly confident in this group and the preparation. That’s who he is, and that’s why these guys love to play for him. He won’t change and I wouldn’t want him to. Woody Johnson wouldn’t want him to. We have to go play better. We have to play more consistently. We all know that, but he’s a positive leader who really believes in what we’re doing.

On whether Mason would have remained on the team if Houston did not call yesterday…

Yes.

On whether Mason had requested to leave the team at any point…

We had one conversation with him last night after we made the trade, but (beforehand), no, he did not.

On if Mason was worried that comments he had said in the media led to his trade…

Not to my knowledge. Rex spoke to him for the most part (last night), so I would defer to Rex. My conversation with him was pretty short. I just thanked him and wished him well.

On if Mason asked him why he was traded…

No, in fairness, Rex had spoken with him for most of the conversation. By the time I got in, it was kind of towards the end.

New York Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan, 10.12

Opening statement…

We made the trade, Derrick Mason going to Houston. (Here are a) just a few thoughts that I had on Derrick. I have a ton of respect for him, one of 18 receivers in the history of this game to go over 12,000 yards. He’s closing in on 1,000 receptions. I’ve always had a ton of respect for Derrick, and still do, as a player and a person. With that, though, we made the decision to move on from Derrick (and) trade him. I think that gives more opportunity. It shows we feel really good about (Jeremy) Kerley (and) what he did in that Patriot game. We saw it coming on the practice field. It was hard to ignore, the kind of plays he’s making, so we’re excited about Jeremy.

On what did not work with Mason…

I’m not sure. As we know, I’m on record, saying he’s going to catch 80 balls, because that’s the kind of respect I have for Derrick. I know the kind of player that I knew in Baltimore and here. (I was) excited to bring him in. It’s just one of those things. He was targeted 10 times in I think the Oakland game, a bunch of catches and things. He’s still got a lot of ability. I think what we saw on the practice field was that Jeremy Kerley, I think, has a lot of ability. When you look at it, even this past week, we wanted to feature Jeremy in there. He was impressive. He was targeted three times, three catches.

You can run reverses, you can do different things with Jeremy. At the end of the day, Houston gave us a call, and we’re like, “You know what, let’s go with Jeremy.” And that’s what we did.

On the perception that there was turmoil between Mason and the coaching staff…

I thought I answered it back then. I had a private conversation with Derrick and it’ll remain that way, but he was not benched because of comments that he made in the media. That is not true.

On whether Mason bought in 100% to the program…

I mean, buying into what? Most guys want to play. In that particular game plan, we were much more— and you guys have all the numbers, I know you do—more regular personnel and two tight ends and things like that. Guys want to play. There’s no question. And then, when you look at it, Jeremy had the 18 reps, and I think, Derrick had six or seven reps I’m guessing, or something like that. It wasn’t that he wasn’t buying in. It was just that we saw a lot of Jeremy and we got excited about that.

On why he would give up on Mason after a slow start…

The one thing I wanted to make sure is clear (is) how much respect I have for Derrick. Always – before, during and after him being a Jet and everything else. As I’ve said, (he is) a tremendous player and a tremendous person, but we’re excited about moving forward with Jeremy. I don’t know how else I can tell you that. I think when you see him out there he’s doing a great job as a punt returner. He’s doing a great job as a third receiver.

On why he didn’t make Kerley the number three receiver and keep Mason…

You could do a lot of things.

On whether it would have been a difficult situation having Mason as a fourth receiver…

I think you’re right. That’s a valid question. It is. Your fourth receiver primarily is a huge contributor on special teams. Right now, we’re kind of hanging our hat on special teams. That unit is playing spectacularly. They’re playing great. Generally, you want a Patrick Turner, a Brad Smith, Wallace Wright-type guy in your fourth spot, in your fourth and fifth receiver. That’s really what you look for on your team.

On whether Kerley exceeded his expectations…

I think that’s a fair statement. I think that’s what’s being lost a little bit in this. Jeremy, and we all saw it. I know you guys saw it in training camp. He was impressive from the day he got here and it’s just getting better and better. We’re really excited about Jeremy.

On why the team singled out Mason for his poor performance when the offense as a whole has underperformed…

It’s not like we’re singling out anybody. Quite honesty, I’ve been happy with Plax (Plaxico Burress). I just think he’s actually going to (ascend). I mean, he hasn’t played football for two years. I think he’s (improving). Like I say, I’ll go back to what I said about Derrick. I was probably the most excited guy in the building when Derrick decided to sign here. For whatever reason, it didn’t happen. We weren’t getting the balls to him or whatever it is. It’s hard to say. It was more the emergence of Jeremy (Kerley). It’s a fine line. We’re trying to win now and he’s a young player that’s actually going to ascend. We’re excited about Jeremy Kerley and I think that’s maybe the thing that is getting lost here.

On if Mason wasn’t around enough to grasp the playbook…

No, I just think we understood that his home was in Nashville. We were going to allow him to miss Mondays and Tuesdays. The players’ day off is Tuesday. A lot of teams have Mondays off, as well. We were giving him that time to go back home, so that is true, but we did that before we ever signed him.

On his thoughts on the wide receivers so far…

Look guys, as a football team we’re 2-3 right now. We’re not happy with that obviously. We have higher expectations of ourselves. So that’s the way it is. This team needs a win and the thing that I like about our team is that we put it on our own shoulders. We have a quarterback that puts it on his shoulders. You have a receiver that puts it on his shoulders. The defense puts it on theirs, and that’s it. But it’s collectively (that) we have to improve this thing.

On if an example was made out of Derrick Mason…

No, I mean one message I think, I’ve had great players in the past that I’ve had to bench. Chris McAllister was a great player, wasn’t playing well and we had to bench him. We made that tough decision. Last year when Kyle (Wilson) was struggling, you know what, we had Drew (Coleman) play. So I think that’s what it is. One thing is, the best players play and that’s a thing that we’ve always stood by, and that’s what we believe in.

On Mason’s reaction upon learning his role against New England would be diminished…

I’m going to keep my conversations private between Derrick and I.

On if he said anything to Kerley…

Nope. That was an easy answer wasn’t it? (joking)

On if he is concerned about the depth at wide receiver…

Well, I think I can certainly understand the concern. You have four receivers, with Patrick Turner, as well as Kerley as the backups. You have Logan Payne, if we can ever get that cast off of him. He’s working out great, hopefully it won’t be long and maybe he’ll have an opportunity, and we’ll see.

On the extra roster spot and if there is an idea of what would happen…

Not really, because one thing about us, we’re always trying to see about getting our team better, (and) all that. I know Mike (Tannenbaum) and the Pro Personnel department, they’ll always be looking, trying to develop guys off our own roster. So we’re not going to do anything with that roster spot right now, but we’re not putting a timetable on when we’ll fill that spot.

On if this open roster spot is there for a potential trade…

I would say that we can leave ourselves open for a lot of possibilities.

On if the burden of expectation is proving too heavy for the team…

No, I think it’s good to have expectations on your team because you don’t sneak up on anybody in this league. No matter what’s said, yes, we did have a rookie quarterback. You might surprise people (for) a week or two, but you’re not going to do it throughout a season. And with us, you want to be the team that has the five nationally televised games, you want to be the team that has high expectations from your fans, from the national media, from everybody because that means you’re good. That’s how we look at it. Now, we haven’t performed to our expectations, our fans’ expectations and all that. We certainly understand that, but this season’s not over. And people want to throw some dirt on us. Well, we can affect how this season ends.

On injuries to Ropati Pitoitua and Nick Mangold…

I know this is bonus coverage or whatever. Both of them weren’t in practice today. They were off on the side doing things, but both of them seem to be doing pretty well.

On if there are any other injuries…

Well, I think the other injuries, you have (Donald) Strickland had the head deal, and he seems to be doing fine. He passed the how many fingers (test). How many fingers and all that stuff today. Kidding, but he seems to be doing alright. And then Ropati (Pitoitua) has a little knee type thing that he got on a sack. He finished the game.

On if there is a story behind Eddie Jones being waived so quickly…

No, I think Eddie was doing good, it’s just sometimes you make moves, up and down guys on the roster, whether they’re active or practice squad. You’d like to get Eddie on the practice squad. The way that is, it’s kind of a floating spot.

On if there is a difference from this three-game losing streak to the ones in 2009…

No, I think anytime you lose three games, you’re miserable and that was the case then. The other thing is though, just like in those games, you couldn’t wait to play, and we have confidence that we can get us a victory. So that’s where it’s all the same.

On if he expects Mangold to play…

I expect him to play.

On Isaiah Trufant’s injury…

Isaiah, that’s one too. He has the hamstring, so I don’t expect Isaiah to play this week.

On if Wayne Hunter has shown signs of improvement…

There’s no question, I think Wayne’s been playing pretty good. We know the kind of ability Wayne Hunter has. So I’m not surprised that he’s playing well.

On if he thinks these next two home games represent a crossroads for this team…

We’re just looking at this game. Quite honestly, you’re talking about a caged animal, to sort of speak, in the Miami Dolphins and they’re looking at one when they see us. Both teams have not performed to expectations and can’t wait to play this game, so it should be a physical game.

On how Darrelle Revis’ closing speed on the play when he chased down Patriots WR Wes Welker…

The great thing is we always say they’re not in there (end zone) until they’re in there. He makes that great play, then we have the, what we thought, was a fumble that was not a fumble. That just shows you that if you get him down, you have opportunities to make a play. They are not in there.

You don’t make that play that Darrelle made if you don’t have that belief, and that was what was encouraging to me. We, obviously, blew a coverage and Welker made a great play, but Darrelle did (chase him down). I think Darrelle is faster than people give him credit for. Everybody knows how physical he is and everything else, but he’s got a lot of speed, as well.

On people not noticing how fast Revis is…

This guy can run with any of them. How many guys do you actually see get on top of him? He’s the best in the business.

On what his main message was to the team today…

It’s just that you have to start stacking bricks on Wednesday. You just don’t stack them on game day, and that’s it. That’s how we get better. We will get better by how we hit that practice field and then in the class room.

Transcript: WR Jeremy Kerley 10/12

by Bassett on October 12th, 2011 at 11:00 pm

On if he was surprised by the Derrick Mason trade…

It’s still somewhat news to me, I heard it at 10 o’clock last night. So yes, I’m surprised, but Derrick Mason was a good player, he’ll be a great player in Houston, but it’s the business.

On if he learned from Mason when he was in New York…

Definitely, he was a teacher on and off the field, so he definitely helped me out on my game.

On if it is strange that he was part of the reason for Mason being traded…

It’s a part of the business, I wish him the best of luck. He’s a great player, like I said, he’ll be great other places. I’m just glad I could step up and be the man in the third spot.

On how he heard about the trade…

To be honest, I really heard about it on twitter at first. I heard about it on twitter, you can’t believe everything on twitter. (General Manager Mike) Tannenebaum gave me a call about 10, 10:30 (last) night, (and) that confirmed it.

On if he is ready to be the third wide receiver…

Definitely. Camp was tough and I got through that and I feel like it helped me out. I’m definitely ready.

On it never seeming like things were too big for him…

Like I’ve always said, this is a game and it’s the game of football. It’s something we wake up and we love to play every day. So I just try to go out there and have that in the back of my mind. When things get tough, when things get hard, that’s the first thing I think about, just having fun, playing the game.

Transcript: WR Plaxico Burress 10/12

by Bassett on October 12th, 2011 at 11:05 pm

On if Derrick Mason was surprised by the trade…

I wouldn’t say surprised. He’s going to a beautiful situation. The situation he’s going into he can’t really be too upset going there. He’s going to a place where they’re going to feature him. He’s going to get the ball and he’s going to do very well.

On where Mason’s absence leaves the receiving corps…

We’re going to be just fine. We have guys that can go out and make plays. It’s a business, those kind of things happen. Like I said, I wanted Derrick around as a teammate because I love him as a person, his personality and different things like that. He’s a playmaker. He goes out and competes week-in and week-out. He’s been one of the most consistent players at his position over the past 15 years and it’s more of a business thing than anything. But as far as us as receivers, we’ll be good.

On if the trade was a wakeup call for the team…

It’s not a wakeup call to me. It’s not the first time that it’s happened. Like I said, I’ve been around this business for a long time and I’ve seen some of the best come and go. And we’ll keep on playing football.

Transcript: TE Dustin Keller 10/12

by Bassett on October 12th, 2011 at 11:10 pm

On if Jeremy Kerley paid his own way out to their Jets West camp…

I think so. I’m probably giving him more credit than he deserves (joking), but he was out there, regardless. He was out there and he spent the time. He just got drafted and he really didn’t know any of the guys well, but he came out and he put in the work.

On if there is anything that Jeremy Kerley does for the offense that Derrick Mason did not…

Obviously, (there is his) speed, with the package where he’s coming in for the quarterback and all that stuff. He does a great job with that and that was really most of his role the first three games. Now, I think we get to see a little bit more of him. He is definitely a big speed guy, but Derrick Mason is by no means a slow guy. I think everybody is going to be surprised by how productive he is going to be.

On whether he expects to be double-teamed in the future like he was against New England…

When you get into a tough look like that and the team is pretty successful at it, you expect to see that over and over until you show that it doesn’t work against you, so I’ll be going into each game with the mindset that that is how they’re going to play me. This week, we’re just going to really practice against those looks and (I’ll) just get off of them and do the best that I can.

Morning take: Williams, Mangold ailing

October, 13, 2011

Oct 13

8:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Thursday morning in the AFC East:

Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Kyle Williams could miss the game against the New York Giants with a foot injury.

Morning take: Williams quietly battled this injury since training camp. He hasn't looked like his usual self this season. Maybe sitting a game will help.

New York Jets center Nick Mangold (ankle) missed Wednesday's practice.

Morning take: Mangold came back sooner than most from a high-ankle sprain. The Jets' medical staff has to monitor this closely to make sure he doesn't have a chance for re-injury.

Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor talks about his next game against the New York Jets.

Morning take: Taylor played on the other side with the Jets for one season, which toned down the hatred. But Taylor is a Dolphin first and his team needs to end their winless streak.

Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was the last to control the New England Patriots' offense.

Morning take: Ryan coached the Browns' defense in 2010 when they beat New England, 34-14.

Expect a similarly aggressive scheme from Dallas to come after and try to confuse Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Jason changes view of Jets

October, 13, 2011

Oct 13

9:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Jason Taylor used to hate the Jets. Then he joined the Jets. Now he's back to ... well, hating them less.

"The rivalry is still there. I understand who I play for. But do I view the [Jets] organization a little differently? Actually, I do see them in a very different light having been around some of the people," Taylor told South Florida's Sun-Sentinel.com. "But again, on Sunday it's the opponent, the enemy, the rival. The fire is still there to beat them."

Actually, it's Monday night, the Dolphins visiting the Jets. It'll be a weird dynamic in play. For years, Taylor, who never missed an opportunity to insult Jets fans, was vilified in New York. He shocked everyone last year by actually signing with his No. 1 enemy, and he gradually was accepted, if not embraced by Jets fans.

Taylor was a situational player for the Jets, but he saw a considerable amount of playing time and finished with five sacks. He was released in February, not a surprise.

Inside the Jets' trends

October, 13, 2011

Oct 13

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Okay, here we go, another look inside the Jets, with help from ESPN Stats and Information:

SANCHEZ TO BURRESS: NOT CLICKING

QB Mark Sanchez has targeted WR Plaxico Burress 20 times on passes of 11+ yards downfield.

Unfortunately for the Jets, they're not hooking up. Sanchez has completed only eight of those attempts.

Worst Completion Percentage (passes 11+ Yards Downfield)

Freeman-Williams 23.8

Ryan-White 37.5

Sanchez-Burress 40.0

Manning-Nicks 47.6

Analysis: Maybe Burress is right. He's not producing up to expectations

THE JETS' DECLINING PASS RUSH

In Rex Ryan's first year, the Jets were known as one of the most blitz-reliant teams in the league -- and they were hell on quarterbacks. Not anymore. Since 2009, they've fallen into the bottom half of the league in terms of pass-rushing aggressiveness.

(5+ pass rushers, percent of opponent dropbacks, 2009-2011 Seasons, NFL rank)

2011 -- 30.9 -- 17th

2010 -- 44.8 -- 3rd

2009 -- 52.4 -- 1st

Analysis: The Jets allowed 14 TDs on such rushes last season, tied for 4th most in the league, but have yet to allow one this season.

NOT EASY BEING GREENE

The Jets got back to Ground & Pound last week against the Patriots, their true identity. So far, their new featured back -- Shonn Greene -- isn't getting it done on inside runs.

As a team, the Jets are averaging just 2.7 yards per rush up the middle this season, but Greene has rushed the ball the majority of the time in those situations. Greene has 37 of Jets’ 57 rushes up the middle and has picked up just 6 first downs.

(Fewest Yards/Rush up the Middle - Minimum 20 Rushes, 2011 Season)

Rashard Mendenhall -- 2.1

Shonn Greene -- 2.8*

Peyton Hillis -- 2.9

Mike Tolbert -- 3.0

*Averaged 4.1 yards/rush in 2010

SANCHEZ: BALL-SECURITY ISSUES

Sanchez is tied with Sam Bradford and Ben Roethlisberger for the most lost fumbles this season (4).

All told, Sanchez has committed nine turnovers, one of the highest totals in the league.

Turnovers This Season (NFL rank)

Lost fumbles -- 4 -- T-1st

Interceptions -- 5 -- T-10th

Total giveaways -- 9 -- T-3rd

Analysis: Can't use the young-quarterback excuse anymore.

Practice Squad

By Jets Media Relations Department

The New York Jets have signed linebacker Eddie Jones to the practice squad. The announcement was made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Jones (6'3", 260) spent training camp with the Jets and joined the practice squad Sept. 28 before being signed to the active roster Oct. 8 and making his NFL debut at New England last Sunday. He was waived by the team Tuesday.

In 50 career games (eight starts) at Texas, Jones totaled 111 tackles and 13 sacks. He was named All-Big 12 honorable mention as a senior in 2010 after he notched 52 tackles, six sacks, 10 tackles for loss and one forced fumble. He was an All-American at Kilgore (Texas) High School and participated in the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Palladino: Getting Rid Of Trouble

October 13, 2011 10:55 AM‘From the Pressbox’

By Ernie Palladino

Ernie Palladino is the author of “Lombardi and Landry.” He’ll be covering football throughout the season. This is his first column.

The Jets dumped Derrick Mason on the Texans and then claimed the move was spurred by Mason’s non-production and the team’s desire to get Jeremy Kerley seriously into the wide receiver mix.

If it wasn’t for the silliness of that stance, all would be well. Teams move struggling players to the bench all the time, sometimes even off the team. But the fact that the Mason trade came after his critical comments about offensive Brian Schottenheimer after the Baltimore game a scant two games ago makes the whole thing wreak of vindictiveness.

Of course, general manager Mike Tannenbaum would never admit to anything like that, even as reporters grilled him Wednesday on his motives.

“I think the hallmark of our program is everyone has to be themselves,“ Tannenbaum said. “Clearly, that’s the environment we have here. What (Mason) said after the Baltimore game had nothing to do with the decision we made (Tuesday) night. Obviously, the performance on the field wasn’t where he had expected it to be or where we expected it to be.”

Tannenbaum also reiterated he and Rex Ryan pride themselves on running a program where players are allowed to be themselves.

Apparently, that only goes so far. Whether they want to admit it or not, Mason was not only not producing, but he was flapping his gums while not producing. So drop the act and come out and say it.

Derrick Mason had become a problem. Clearly. And the Jets needed to deal with it.

And guess what? There’s nothing wrong with that, unless you live in Jetsland, where no negative connotation is ever shrugged off as the price of doing a very public business. What the organization must realize — and what the Jets never really have — is that the Mason move is hardly a unique one. It’s all been done before, even by that other Big Blue squad that shares a stadium with them.

In 1990, Lionel Manuel had become just such a problem child. The leading receiver of 1988 had suddenly become unproductive, which would have been enough of a sin in Bill Parcells’ book to bench him. But he also had fallen into this nasty habit of coming late to meetings or missing them entirely.

What happened? Cut. Right smack in the middle of a 13-3 season. Though the move raised eyebrows around the clubhouse, it didn’t particularly hurt that squad. And by the time they raised the Vince Lombardi Trophy in Tampa that postseason, Manuel was just a bittersweet memory.

The Jets are in an entirely different situation, of course. They’re 2-3 by way of a three-game losing streak, and their whole season could fall off the cliff if they lose to Miami Monday night.

They could use big performances from both Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes against an 0-4 Dolphins team that goes in without its starting quarterback. But they’ll also need production from Kerley, a rookie who caught his first three career passes last week against New England. He drew raves in training camp, and now that Mason is gone, he should see some targets, especially if the Jets can’t get their running game going.

They’ve put themselves in a tough position by resting their hopes on an untried rookie.

Tannenbaum and Ryan had best hope it works out. Otherwise, they’re going to be facing a season of uncomfortable questions about the slumping veteran wide receiver they traded for next to nothing.

Again, nothing wrong with that. They’d just better be right.

AFC East Week 6 X factors

October, 13, 2011

Oct 13

11:00

AM ET

By James Walker

All four AFC East teams will be in action this weekend. The division is heating up, with the Buffalo Bills (4-1) and New England Patriots (4-1) leading the pack with eight combined victories.

Here are some underrated X factors who could make an impact in Week 6:

Patriots (4-1)

X factor: OT Matt Light

Analysis: New England's three-time Pro Bowler will draw a tough matchup against the Dallas Cowboys. Light will see a lot of five-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, who has five sacks in four games. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady noted his concerns about Ware this week. Look for Brady to get rid of the football quickly to his receivers this week. If Light can help neutralize Ware coming off the edge, New England will have an easier time going vertical downfield.

Bills (4-1)

X factor: WR Naaman Roosevelt

Analysis: Buffalo deep threat Donald Jones suffered a high-ankle sprain against the Philadelphia Eagles. Jones will be out for at least a month. That opens the door for Roosevelt. He played surprisingly well last week in relief of Jones and recorded five receptions for 41 yards. David Nelson moves outside, while Roosevelt takes the slot, which is an important position in Buffalo's spread offense. Roosevelt's production in the middle of the field will be key against the New York Giants (3-2).

Jets (2-3)

X factor: RB Shonn Greene

Analysis: If "ground-and-pound" is truly back in New York, Greene has to continue to raise his production. Green had his best game of the season in the Week 5 loss to New England, rushing for 83 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries. New York's offensive line has struggled, but Greene hasn't helped, either. He hasn't broken many tackles this season and his longest rush is for 15 yards. Jets coach Rex Ryan is adamant about giving Greene and the running backs more opportunities to carry the offense. So expect Greene to see the ball a lot Monday against the Miami Dolphins.

Dolphins (0-4)

X factor: WR Brandon Marshall

Analysis: Marshall, the Dolphins' best receiver, could do new quarterback Matt Moore a huge favor by having a solid game. Marshall's assignment will be tough. He will be matched up against Jets corners Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie — a duo against whom very few receivers have success. But Marshall always is capable of making big plays; if he gets a few against the Jets, Miami has a chance for the upset.

Pressure mounts for sack-less Miami Dolphins defensive line

If the Dolphins plan to get their first win and beat New York, they will have to get to Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez, who has been sacked 13 times this season.

By MANNY NAVARRO

If the Dolphins have learned anything about the New York Jets after five games it’s that they don’t run the ball nearly as well as they used to and getting to quarterback Mark Sanchez isn’t nearly as difficult as it once was.

The Jets, losers of three consecutive games and Monday Night Football hosts for the Dolphins next week at MetLife Stadium, once pummeled teams with their ground and pound rushing attack of LaDanian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene.

But since leading the league in rushing in 2009 (2,756 yards on 607 attempts), the Jets have relied more on Sanchez (he has thrown 173 passes against 117 rushing attempts this season) and their running game has fallen to 30th in league (76.2 yards a game).

Sanchez, meanwhile, has been sacked 13 times through five games — tied for ninth most in the NFL. He was sacked a total of 28 times last season.

So could the sputtering Jets be the perfect remedy for a struggling Dolphins defense?

“Playing versus the Jets on Monday Night Football, if you can’t get up for that, you have no pulse,” said defensive end Kendall Langford, who was among four players last season who helped sack Sanchez six times in the team’s 10-6 win on Dec. 12 — the Dolphins’ last win.

“As a defense, we can be better,” Langford said. “We’re definitely not where we were last year and we know that. It’s one of the biggest things we’ve focused on during the bye week. We’re ready to come out swinging.”

The Dolphins ranked sixth in overall total defense in 2010 (seventh against the run and eight against the pass). This season they are 28th overall in total defense this season —14th versus the run and 31st versus the pass.

The secondary, which should see cornerback Vontae Davis return from a hamstring injury against the Jets, has obviously provided the biggest let down. But up front, the lack of a pass rush hasn’t helped matters, either.

The Dolphins, who ranked 10th in the NFL with 39 sacks last season, have produced six sacks in four games (30th in the NFL). Linebacker Cameron Wake has three of them. The others belong to veteran Jason Taylor, safety Reshad Jones and reserve linebacker Marvin Mitchell. The defensive line? It has none — making the Dolphins the only team in the NFL without a defensive lineman with a sack.

Of course, that doesn’t mean Langford, right defensive end Randy Starks, and third down pass rushing specialist Jared Odrick haven’t come close to getting a sack. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Langford ( three sacks, 21 pressures in 2010) has seven QB pressures in 168 snaps, Starks ( three sacks, 24 pressures in 2010) has five QB pressures in 174 snaps and Odrick has five QB pressures in 147 snaps. Defensive tackle Paul Soliai ( two sacks in 2010) has one pressure in 129 snaps.

Among 3-4 outside linebackers in pass rushing situations, here is how the Dolphins rank according to PFF (the group is 26 players deep): Wake is third (12 QB pressures in 244 snaps); Koa Misi is 18th ( one QB pressure in 105 snaps); Jason Taylor is 24th ( four QB pressures in 147 snaps).

In the Jets’ last three games, Sanchez has been sacked, hit or pressured plenty. Against the Ravens, he was hit eight times and sacked twice. Against the Raiders, he was sacked five times and pressured seven times. And against the Patriots, Sanchez was sacked twice. New England forced eight three-and-outs in the game.

While the Jets have talked about becoming more committed to the run, it hasn’t happened yet.

The Dolphins defensive line has done fairly well against the run, save for Langford, who actually ranks 28th out 28 defensive ends in a 3-4 scheme against the run, according to ProFootballFocus.com. Starks, who ranks third overall behind the 49ers’ Justin Smith and Ray McDonald as the best defensive end in a 3-4 scheme, ranks No. 1 against the run. Odrick ranks 20th. Soliai ranks 19th versus the run out of 81 nose guards/tackles in 3-4 schemes.

“We’ve heard some things about they’re going to go back to running the ball. It will be interesting to see if that’s what they’re really going to do,” Starks said. “Either way, we know we have to stop the run.”

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/11/2448029/pressure-mounts-for-sackless-miami.html#ixzz1ag2PVPGQ

New York Jets get set for Miami Dolphins

AUTHOR: Marc A. Greenberg | I

It’s Monday Night Football and no better time for the New York Jets to face a division rival.

This week features a team with a losing record, who can’t score, has a terrible offensive line and a question mark at QB.

And we also have the 0-4 Miami Dolphins with the same troubles.

Looks like a comparable game and a perfect opportunity for the Jets to right the ship and start the chase for the Playoffs.

Here are some quick hits on the Dolphins:

1. The Fins have won 4 of the last 5 meetings, including 3 at the Meadowlands/MetLife Stadium.

2. With the season ending injury to Chad Henne, QB Matt Moore will make his first start of the season (newly signed Sage Rosenfels will be the backup). There is absolutely no excuse if the Jets don’t blitz and pressure Moore all night. A perfect opportunity to Rex and Jets to get back some of their swagger.

3. The Dolphins offensive line, including the play of Marc Columbo, has been ten times worse than the Jets line.

4. The Dolphins defense may be worse. Allowing 414.5 yards per game and currently ranked 30th against the pass, do the Jets go with the Ground and Pound or let QB Mark Sanchez throw it again this week?

5. The Dolphins offense has scored 6 Touchdown in 4 games this year and newly signed Reggie Bush has been more disappointing than Shonn Greene by a mile. With 119 yards on 40 attempts, Bush’s 3.0 avg is not going to cut it.

6. Welcome back, Jason Taylor. Oh, how we missed you. For his part, Taylor tried to stir the pot a little in describing the rivalry between the two teams. “The rivalry is still there. I understand who I play for. But do I view the [Jets] organization a little differently? Actually, I do see them in a very different light having been around some of the people,” Taylor told the Sun-Sentinel.”

7. Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano is playing for his job. Look for some interesting calls during this game.

Outsider’s View: Miami Dolphins – 2011 Week 6

by Bassett on October 13th, 2011 at 9:25 am

I know some of you are fond of Football Outsiders, (as am I) so once the season gets underway and trends start developing, looking at an opponent’s rankings on Football Outsiders helps to give fans some perspective on the Jets opponent for this weekend and what to expect.

(As a heads up, negative percentages are good on defense, bad on offense & specials)

Pass Offense: 14.6% (16th)

Rush Offense: 6.2% (11th)

O-Line Ranking: Run 7th / Pass 28th

Analysis: The Miami offense is average at best right now, and probably a little worse than it’s stats indicate since Matt Moore has taken over at the helm for the injured Chad Henne. With Revis and Cromartie, the Dolphins might take it to the ground to try and beat the Jets. The Jets pride themselves on their run defense, but it’s been rough going so far this year as the Jets have struggled so far in stopping opponents’ running games. Daniel Thomas has been a valuable part of the offense providing high-value on a per play basis for the Dolphins, so the Jets would be wise to key in on Thomas: to limit Thomas is to limit the Dolphins.

As far as passing the ball, the name of the game is to play disciplined football to get the Dolphins off the field. Two points of special interest. First, Matt Moore is completing his passes at a 65% clip, which is commendable for a backup. He’s making the smart reads and throws, so the Jets will need to defense some of his passes to get off the field during their drives. Second, the Dolphins pass protection has been terrible this season ranking 28th in the league. Jake Long who has always been praised for his pass protection has already allowed four sacks this season to opposing defenses. Look for the Jets to dial up the pressure early in the game to rattle Matt Moore.

Pass Defense: 35.2% (31st)

Rush Defense: -4.7% (24th)

D-Line Ranking: Run 28th / Pass 27th

Analysis: This summer, Vontae Davis put a target on his back when he declared that he and Sean Smith were “the best tandem in the league." So far this season Miami is ranking 24th against top wideouts and 28th against second wideouts. It looks like there are some room for improvement for Davis and Smith.

n 2010, the Dolphins were one of the best teams in terms of stopping the run and this year it’s been much more difficult for them to repeat that feat. Stopping the run is just as important a part of a good pass protection unit as having capable defensive backs, as Davis & Smith are learning. For teams to get opponents off the field on third down, they need to keep them in longer down and distance situations and force them to pass on third down – making the feat that much tougher.

Unable to stop the run, one of the Dolphins best players, Cameron Wake, is ineffective.

Here’s me throwing down the gauntlet. A month back when the Jets played Jacksonville, it was clear that the Jets had to have a convincing day. After a month of inconsistent performance by this offense if the Jets cannot put together a good game against a reeling Dolphins defense, then this team is in more trouble than anyone could have imagined. At its most simple, there’s no excuses to not easily win this game. Shonn Green should run wild, and Mark Sanchez should be able to pick apart this Dolphins secondary.

Special Teams: -2.6% (26th)

Analysis: The Dolphins are worst teams in the league when it comes to field goals. If the Jets can keep the Dolphins out of the end zone, it might be just as good as turnover on downs or two for the Jets. The Dolphins also struggle in returning kickoffs, so look for Joe McKnight and Josh Mauga to have big games in their coverage duties.

Rex Ryan: Jets still Super Bowl bound

October, 13, 2011

Oct 13

12:00

PM ET

By James Walker

New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan is not backing down from his Super Bowl prediction. Ryan said in a conference call with Miami reporters Thursday that he believes the Jets (2-3) are still going to the big game in February, despite New York's three-game losing streak.

"Yeah, I definitely think we are," Ryan said, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.

"But facts are facts. We have lost three games in a row. There's no question about that. And we've been there before.

"Unfortunately, this is my third year in a row. My first year we actually had two three-game losing streaks so I know what it feels like. But I also know we can get out of this. We have to this week."

Ryan has made a lot of bold predictions in his three seasons in New York. Most of the bravado was legit after making it to the AFC title game in back-to-back years.

But this year's Super Bowl guarantee is on shaky ground. The product on the field hasn't resembled anything close to a team ready to win a championship. In New York's three losses, the team has been outscored 98-62.

"I can guarantee you we're going to chase it, that's for sure," Ryan said of the Super Bowl. "Do I think we'll win it? Yeah, absolutely."

Ryan is correct that the Jets have been resilient under his leadership. New York has been a wild card two consecutive years and came within a game of the Super Bowl both times. If the Jets plan to turn things around this season, it starts Monday in a must-win game against the Miami Dolphins (0-4).

Mangold Misses Practice Again, Expected To Play

posted by: Site Admin | Injuries

Mangold Misses Practice Again, Expected To Play

C Nick Mangold missed practice for the second straight day, but head coach Rex Ryan said that he expects him to start on Monday against the Miami Dolphins. He should be able to practice tomorrow on a limited bais. Both DL Ropati Pitoitua, who suffered a knee injury against New England, and CB Isaiah Trufant, who suffered a hamstring injury, did not practice either.

DB Donald Strickland (consussion) was back in practice but did not participate in any contact drills. RB LaDainian Tomlinson (calf) was also limited but is expected to play.

Archived