Erik Coleman Article

Smizzy

Fifty-six players topped $100,000 for '04

By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

Len Pasquarelli Archive

Halfway through the weightlifting segment of the Washington State pro day workouts on Wednesday, in a small area of the football complex filled with sweaty draft prospects laboring to impress the NFL scouts, the near-silence was suddenly shattered by a scream.

The only other noises in the room were the grunts of guys straining to hoist the standard 225-pound weight in the bench press drill, the clang of metal on metal and the mumbles of league talent evaluators as they noted the number of repetitions for each player, and so the gleeful squeal was certainly incongruous. Then again, given the news that elicited it, the joyful outburst was understandable.

New York Jets free safety Erik Coleman, fresh off a terrific rookie season and back on campus to finish his degree work and to visit with his former Cougars teammates, had dropped by to watch the workout. And he had just received notification of an unexpected financial windfall. Coleman could barely hear agent Doug Hendrickson on his cell phone and so he asked him to repeat the message.

Sure enough, when the numbers Hendrickson read to him didn't change the second time, Coleman couldn't help himself.

"Yeah, I screamed so loud, everyone turned and looked at me," said Coleman. "It was a little bit embarrassing. And then honestly, I almost cried, I was so happy."

The source of all this emotion: Coleman is the big winner for the 2004 season (to the tune of $227,625) in the NFL's "performance based pay" program.

Play for pay

Fifty-six players received "performance based pay" bonuses of $100,000 or more for the 2004 season. Earning $130,000 or more were:

Player -- Team -- Amount

FS Erik Coleman, Jets, $227,000

OT Shane Olivea, Chargers, $171,000

OG R. Wells, Cardinals, $151,000

C A. Stepanovich, Cardinals, $149,000

CB Kelly Herndon, Broncos, $147,000

CB Randall ***, Patriots, $145,000

FS Will Demps, Ravens, $143,000

OG Jacob Bell, Titans, $136,000

SS Willie Pile, Chiefs, $136,000

C Daniel Koppen, Patriots, $135,000

OT David Diehl, Giants, $133,000

CB Terrence McGee, Bills, $133,000

LB Scott Fujita, Chiefs, $132,000

FS Brian Russell, Vikings, $132,000

OT Seth Wand, Texans, $131,000

Implemented as part of the 2002 extension to the collective bargaining agreement, the purpose of the PBP program was to establish a fund (with the money coming from league revenues) that primarily supplements salaries of players whose playing time in a given season is disproportionate to their compensation. And certainly Coleman, a fifth-round pick in the 2004 draft and a guy who performed well beyond that middle-level status in his first season with the Jets, was a worthy poster child for how the system functions.

Coleman started all 16 games and registered 100 tackles, four interceptions, nine passes defensed and two sacks. He played 77.8 percent of the Jets' defensive snaps, far more than he had ever anticipated when he reported to his first training camp. And because of that performance, and the PBP program, he raised his total compensation for the season by nearly 60 percent.

"My first agent [ian Greengross] had actually told me about this program when I signed my first contract," said Coleman, who inked a five-year deal that included a signing bonus of $165,000 and standard rookie minimum base salary of $230,000. "So I kind of knew, as the season went on, and I was playing so much, that I had some money coming to me. But I was thinking, like, well, more in the area of $60,000. Maybe $70,000 at the most. So when [Hendrickson] told me how much it really was, I freaked out. He said, like, 'Hey, can I get a loan?' And I said, 'What do you mean?' Then he told me that I was getting that much money, and, wow, I just exploded."

What really exploded this season is the size of the payments the PBP program is making to players leaguewide.

In its first season, 2002, the PBP doled out $472,000 per franchise. That number rose to $1 million in 2003 and then to $1.784 million for the 2004 campaign. Not surprisingly, the size of the payments to players has skyrocketed exponentially as well.

For 2002, there were three players who received bonuses of $40,000 or more. In the '03 season, 82 players received checks for $50,000 or more, and 20 of them earned more than $70,000, with three players topping the $100,000 mark. For 2004, though, 56 players will get bonuses of $100,000 or more, 15 earned more than $130,000, and Coleman became the first $200,000 recipient under the program.

All but three franchises in 2004 had at least one player qualify for a PBP supplement of $100,000 or more and the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers had four each. Only one team did not have a player earn a PBP payment of at least $70,000. Certainly the money went precisely where it was supposed to, as nearly all of the 56 players who got $100,000 bonuses were players earning minimum salaries, but who started in more than half the regular-season games and performed in a manner exceeding those minimum base salaries.

Every player in the league who participates in at least one snap receives something from the PBP pool, which does not increase a player's salary cap charge. The pool to fund the PBP supplements is deducted from the overall leaguewide salary cap funds and it was essentially created by slowing the annual increases in base salaries and by blunting the increases in the annual rookie allocation pool.

NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw pointed out last year, in explaining the PBP program, that every team in virtually every season has at least one or two youngsters who out-perform their contracts. And the PBP is a mechanism by which those disparities can be addressed.

"Sometimes those players spend years, maybe their entire careers, trying to catch up salary-wise," Upshaw said. "This is a way to reward those players."

The PBP program is certainly one of the best concepts to come from the partnership of the NFL and the NFLPA. While it won't ever eradicate a compensation system in the NFL that often rewards players with lucrative contracts before they ever step onto the field, and is based on playing time and not statistical comparisons, it is very effective. And the overall PBP pool, and, thus the size of the payouts, will continue to increase.

"It's a little like getting the special Christmas gift you hoped for but knew in your heart that your parents couldn't afford," said New England cornerback Randall ***, who not only made the Patriots roster as an undrafted college free agent, but ended up starting in nine regular-season games and three postseason contests, including Super Bowl XXXIX. "For a guy just starting his career, and making the minimum [base salary], it can be a big boost and allow you to do some things."

*** earned a PBP supplement of $145,000. Along with his playoff payments, it meant he actually banked more in add-ons than in regular-season compensation.

For the gleeful Coleman, who had to explain his yelp of joy to his former teammates following the wrap-up of pro day, the record $227,625 payment probably translates into the new home for which he has been saving.

"I'm not too [frivolous] with my money," Coleman said. "I'm more a saver. Even when I got my signing bonus, I went out and bought a used truck instead of a new one. Maybe I'll treat myself to something small with this, but I'm not going to just [squander] it. This is like found money and I want to put it to use. I've been wanting a house pretty bad, back here in this [seattle] area, and this means I'll get it a little sooner than expected."

Which would be sufficient reason, it seems, for anyone to squeal.

I'm curious. I'd like to know whose call it was to select Coleman. Was this under Henderson's advice or someone else?

I'm curious as to whom Heimerdinger and Henderson like in this draft. Do we go with HMiller, or with Rogers/JMiller if available? Who do they have rated higher?

I would love to know what their draft board looks like :twisted:

EC will be going to the Pro Bowl in 05, even though he should've gone last year as well.

And what player should he have replaced that was selected?

Why do Jets fans think that every player who has a "decent" year should go to the Pro Bowl? Even though he had a great season, he was no where near a Pro Bowl caliber player.

Take off the green-colored glasses.

And what player should he have replaced that was selected?

Why do Jets fans think that every player who has a "decent" year should go to the Pro Bowl? Even though he had a great season, he was no where near a Pro Bowl caliber player.

Take off the green-colored glasses.

Why would you say "every jets fan " when you know damn well after trolling 2 jets MB only a handfull really feel this way?

Those old lame jokes don't hold to much water here tx,they are better suited for the newbies somewhere else :wink:

Why would you say "every jets fan " when you know damn well after trolling 2 jets MB only a handfull really feel this way?

Those old lame jokes don't hold to much water here tx,they are better suited for the newbies somewhere else :wink:

Did I say "every Jets fan"?

Did I even quantify a number?

124 has more on the ball to make a stupid comment like that.

And what does "trolling" mean?

Archived