D dept. : defensive coordinator, new D-backs coach go way back ~ ~ ~

kelly

Dennis Thurman has about "10 different looks."

Each facial expression has a meaning, a purpose. And over the course of their decades-long friendship, Tim McDonald has figured out just about all of them.

That's because Thurman has used most of them on his former pupil.

"You know when you're screwing something up," McDonald, the Jets new secondary coach said in a sit-down interview along with Thurman. "He just gives you that look, so you've got to get it fixed." . . . I've noticed they've changed over time. They've gotten a little grumpier," he added, eliciting a laugh from Thurman. "And it just depends on how he tilts his head and which eye goes up, or which eyebrow goes higher."Thurman -- who possesses a rare talent for delivering blunt honesty and a well-timed one-liner at the same time -- ran the Jets secondary the past four years. But now, following his promotion to defensive coordinator this offseason, he's happy to fade into the background. Now, the stage is set for McDonald, 48, to improve upon the foundation laid by Thurman and Rex Ryan.On the surface, the personalities of the seemingly-reserved McDonald and the straight-talking Thurman appear to clash. "But once he gets to know you, we're much more alike than we are different," Thurman said. "He thinks he's a comedian actually and he doesn't realize he'd be starving if that was his job."

Jets players are quick to point out that it's impossible to compare anyone to Thurman. But McDonald's NFL credentials speak for themselves: 13 seasons, six Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl championship in 1994 with the 49ers."He commands immediate respect," second-year safety Josh Bush said. "Whatever he says, you're going to listen to right off the bat."But before McDonald was hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, he was in St. Louis and later, Tempe, Ariz., under the tutelage of Thurman, then a position coach for the Cardinals starting in 1988.The Cardinals traded defensive backs Leonard Smith to Buffalo that year in order to get McDonald, the 34th overall pick in the NFL draft, into the starting lineup."Not saying Leonard wasn't easy to coach," Thurman said. "But Tim was easier."And from there a bond was born.Asked to share what he's learned from Thurman over the years, McDonald replies with a smile. "The game, pretty much," he said.When Thurman, 57, describes his friendship with McDonald, two simple words come to mind.

"Powerful," he said. "Inspirational.

"He listens. It's important that if you're going to talk to someone that they're listening and your conversation can go back and forth. It's never been one-sided."After coaching two years at his alma mater, Edison High School in Fresno, Calif., McDonald coached Fresno State's secondary in 2012. But when former Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine bolted for Buffalo, McDonald called Ryan to interview for the position. In January, he was hired.Soon after, McDonald called up Thurman to tell him the good news. "I'm coming to New York to take a bite out the apple," he said.But the defensive coordinator is adamant McDonald was on the Jets' radar because of his credentials, not their friendship."It wasn't just, 'OK, we're friends. You get the job,' " said Thurman, who helped mold future Hall of Fame safety Ronnie Lott during their playing days at USC. "He had to go through the process and in going through the process, he didn't just impress me. I knew what he was made of. But he obviously impressed Rex and the new GM and the other people he had come in contact with. So he earned the job."

Though the Jets ranked second in pass defense (189.8) and eighth overall in 2012, McDonald has inherited a secondary with just three players (Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Isaiah Trufant) with three years of experience in the system.The new position coach also doesn't have the luxury of a healthy Darrelle Revis at his disposal."Don't get me wrong, Darrelle Revis is a great, great player and will go down in history as one of the best players to ever come through here. But this defense was pretty good last year," McDonald said. "There's some good football players here and we will respond in the ways that we need to respond."But, you know," he added with a laugh, "I thought he would be here. I thought [safety] LaRon Landry would be here. But I do understand this: in the NFL, the only thing that stays the same is change. No one is immortal . . . As long as we can get the most out of the guys, I really believe that we have a chance to be pretty good."

So they say does rookie Dee Milliner.

Despite the former Alabama standout being sidelined since his March shoulder surgery, the coaching staff sees potential in the 21-year-old."Talent; athleticism; the ability to do all the things that you want done," Thurman said. "Some guys that go out now and play corner, they just want to cover people. He doesn't mind tackling, he doesn't mind getting involved in the run game . . . When you look at him, you have the thought in your head that this guy can become one of the better corners in this league because he has the ability."McDonald cautioned Milliner won’t be the next Revis, but "he's going to be a special player in his own right. The kid can do it all. He was the No. 1 corner in this draft for a reason: He's long, he's rangy, he's cat-quick and he'll make his share of plays. And eventually we'll be talking about, hopefully down the road, somebody trying to replace Dee Milliner."As Thurman had a hand in molding Revis' career, McDonald will serve in the same capacity with the rookie corner. And Thurman has already taken a step back, allowing his successor to shape the secondary as he sees fit.

"The most important thing I can do to help Tim is to back away," said Thurman, who also stands off to side while Ryan leads the defensive installs during practice. " . . . If I'm hovering over in his meeting room or hanging around every one of his drills,then it'll look like I'm still doing it. I don't want that. I want them to understand who their coach is."But every now and then, Thurman shoots McDonald one of those "looks." And it feels just like old times.

Said Thurman: "Whether we're working together or apart, we're still going to be great friends."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-defensive-coordinator-new-d-backs-coach-go-way-back-1.5492724

more re our D  :

This week marks a one-year anniversary that Kenrick Ellis
would like to forget. On June 15, 2012, he started a 45-day jail
sentence for assault, stemming from a 2010 incident in college. The nose
tackle served his time, and now he's looking forward to a season with
nothing but football on his mind.

"A year ago at this time, my body was here, but my mind wasn't,"
Ellis said at the conclusion of last week's minicamp. "You know the
situation. I don't want to talk about it. Not having to worry about it,
I'm finally starting to be me. I don't have to be all tense and all
scared. It's all football and life. I'm happy. Everything is good right
now."

ny_a_ellis1x_300.jpg
Kenrick Ellis is heading into his third NFL season.

Ellis
went from minicamp last June directly to a jail cell in Hampton, Va. He
was released in time for training camp -- it was a split sentence --
but 23 days behind bars took its toll on his conditioning. It's too bad
because, despite the distraction of looming jail time, he was impressive
last spring, according to Rex Ryan.

"I was like, 'Wow, this guy may end up winning our starting job,'"
Ryan said. "I was really pleased with him. When he came back in the
summer, he wasn't quite to that level and then he got injured early in
the season. ... [He] never really hit his stride until late in the year,
but now is the time for him to step up. I think he understands that the
opportunity is right there in front of him and I believe the young man
is going to do a tremendous job for us."

Ellis, 25, is expected to replace Sione Po'uha
as the starting nose tackle. This is a big leap for Ellis, who played
only 233 defensive snaps (22 percent) last season. The former
third-round pick didn't contribute much in his first two seasons,
admittedly relying too much on his natural talent.

"Being a small-school guy -- a small-school, black-college guy -- I
was here off my athleticism," said Ellis, who played at Hampton
University.

Ellis (6-foot-4, 345 pounds) believes he has sharpened his mental
approach to the game, learning how to read blocking schemes and
understand tendencies. He also has honed his technique, especially hand
placement. The jail experience also taught him a life lesson.

"Be grateful for your situation, because somebody always has it
worse," he said. "If it's dark, there's always day. There's always a way
to get out. Keep persevering, keep pushing. This is all I know. This is
easy now."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/23971/in-body-and-mind-ellis-ready-for-big-year

~ ~ Despite the loss of star Darrelle Revis, who was traded to the

Tampa Bay Buccaneers this offseason, there is not much to be

concerned about at cornerback for the Jets. New York still has

veteran cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who made the Pro Bowl

last year, and there is depth with first-round picks Kyle Wilson

(2010) and Dee Milliner
(2013). Wilson may start early, but both young corners will play

a key
role on defense, especially in sub packages. New York’s major

question
in the secondary is at safety. The Jets could not afford to keep

Pro Bowl safety LaRon Landry, who signed a multiyear contract

with the Indianapolis Colts. Instead, the Jets signed his cheaper,

less talented brother -- Dawan Landry -- as a replacement. The

other starting position at safety is wide open, with players such

as Antonio Allen, Jaiquawn Jarrett and Josh Bush
vying for playing time. Look for Jets head coach and defensive

whiz Rex
Ryan to find clever ways to cover up New York’s deficiencies at

safety
this year

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/60446/eight-in-the-box-secondary-status-check

• 3 weeks later...

more re our D...

~ ~  Antonio Garay used to scoot around San Diego in a little, red Smart Car with huge Hello Kitty faces decorating each door.

The funny photos of the former Charger and current New York Jets nose tackle squeezing his 6-foot-4, 320-pound frame into the attention-grabbing but environmentally friendly vehicle were all over the Internet a year ago.But, new Jets teammate Quinton Coples had no idea -- until he was shown the proof.

"Wow," a laughing Coples said, shaking his head in disbelief. "That says a lot right there. I need to speak to that guy about this, like ASAP!"The 33-year-old Garay is one of the newest, most-experienced -- and, perhaps, most fun-loving -- members of the Jets' revamped and close-knit defensive line that is considered perhaps New York's biggest strength heading into training camp in a few weeks."I've been trying to keep a lot of that on the down-low," said a smiling Garay, in his second stint with the Jets after signing as a free agent in March following four seasons with the Chargers. "I've been downplaying the car and all that -- because they told me that Quinton Coples is a big Pikachu fan, so I didn't want to steal any of his thunder."

Well, he no longer has the Hello Kitty car, but Garay still drives a Smart Car, a red and black one that defensive line coach Karl Dunbar says is "about the size of my desk."All the jokes and jabs -- such as Garay begging rookie first-rounder Sheldon Richardson to leave his T-shirt on at all times -- have made for some lighthearted moments among the Jets' defensive linemen this offseason."You never know what you're going to get when you walk into that room because we have a bunch of comedians in there," Dunbar said. "It's a pretty good room, we're having fun and there's already a lot of camaraderie with that group."

That's even after allowing Mike DeVito and Sione Po'uha, both respected and productive team leaders, to leave as free agents.

There are rising stars such as Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson, the savvy and silly vet in Garay and youngsters such as Richardson, Kenrick Ellis and Damon Harrison looking to make their marks.Dunbar is also interested in seeing how a few others such as Lanier Coleman, Jake McDonough, Junior Aumavae and Tevita Finau perform in camp in Cortland, N.Y."I'm excited about the group I have," Dunbar said. "I'm not going to try to sit here and downplay it."Dunbar certainly knows talent when he sees it. Now in his second season on Rex Ryan's staff, Dunbar spent the previous six years in Minnesota and helped turn the Vikings' defensive line into arguably the best in the NFL with Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Ray Edwards and Jared Allen leading the way.

Minnesota allowed the fewest rushing yards in the NFL during Dunbar's tenure there, and the Vikings were the first team since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 to lead the league in rushing defense for three straight years. The Jets finished a disappointing 26th against the run in Dunbar's first year, but now the goal is to be No. 1."When we assessed our defensive line after the season was over and after free agency and we lost a couple of guys, we decided that, if you have big guys who can run, this defense could be phenomenal," Dunbar said. "I think we did that by adding Sheldon with the 13th pick and then adding Garay, I really like where we stand right now."

Added Harrison: "It's crazy, man. The athleticism of this line is so scary. This season is going to be fun."And it all starts with Wilkerson, the team's first-round pick in 2011 who has consistently improved in his first two seasons and played well enough last season to garner Pro Bowl consideration. Individual success will come, Wilkerson believes, because of the way the defensive line expects to play."We know Coach Dunbar had dominant guys (in Minnesota) and we want to be dominant -- not like them, but in our own way," Wilkerson said. "We want to be one of the most dominant fronts in the league."

Coples will be sliding from the defensive end spot he mostly played as a rookie last season to alternating between outside linebacker and the line. Last year's first-round pick led the team in sacks with a modest 5 1/2, and he and the Jets are expecting more this season."I'm just looking at getting to the quarterback and I think that's what this team looks for from me," Coples said. "And I want to make sure that each and every day I'm working at that, whether it's playing D-line or outside linebacker."

http://www.sunherald.com/2013/07/07/4781975/jets-defensive-line-features-mix.html#

The last time the Jets had a player with double-digit sacks was 2005 as John Abraham paced the club with 10.5 QB takedowns.  In fact from 2000-’05, New York’s AFC representative had at least one player rack up double-digit sack totals. 

Abraham, who had 13 sacks in 2001, 10 in 2002, 9.5 in 2004 and 10.5 in 2005, was a unique athletic talent who opposing offensive coordinators had to gameplan for.  While Rex Ryan and new defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will devise plans next season featuring various pressure and assimilated pressure packages, do the Green & White have a player or players who will keep opposing QBs up night ? Under Ryan, the Jets have averaged 34 sacks a season.  While they finished tied for 8th in sacks in 2010 with 40, the numbers have dipped each of the past two years as the Green & White tied for 17th in 2011 with 35 and tied for 25th in 2012 with 30. In 2009, the Jets fielded a historically stout defense.  But that unit amassed 32 sacks — a number that ranked tied for 18th as OLB Calvin Paceicon-article-link.gif led the way with eight.  Sacks don’t win or lose games alone, but you have to disrupt the QB in the modern-day NFL that is dominated by passing.

The Green & White believe they are better equipped to get after people in 2013 and for good reason.  Quinton Coplesicon-article-link.gif led the team with 5.5 sacks in his first pro season and he will play a hybrid OLB/DE position for the Jets in Year 2.

“I think it gives me a head start on getting to the quarterback,” Coples said of standing up.  “It also gives me a head start on seeing the pass as far as if I have seam flat or if I’m able to check with a three-receiver hook.  It just depends on the play call. I can see the receivers when I’m standing up and I can see things going on — their formation and how they’re operating, and the things they can run out of it a lot better than I can with my hand in the dirt.”

“Here’s a guy that has all the physical tools to be the best player out on the field and that’s what we need him to be,” said Ryan of Coples.

After getting his feet wet in Year 1 and really coming on in the second half of the season, a motivated and an engaged Coples has the potential to reach double-digit sack totals.  The only player on the roster to accomplish that feat on the pro level is former Chargers OLB Antwan Barnesicon-article-link.gif.The Jets quietly scooped up Barnes in free agency and this is a speed rusher who amassed 11 sacks with the ‘Bolts in 2011.  Editor-in-chief Randy Lange also pointed out this week, Barnes “erupted for 18.5 sacks in 38 games as a Charger since ’10.”  Barnes, who already knows the system since he began his career with the Ravens, is explosive off the edge and he should thrive in sub packages.“He’s not as well-known as he should be, but in the time that he’s played and the numbers that he’s put up — the guy has some serious talent,” said OLB Calvin Pace.  “He got talent enough to be playing in Hawaii at some point in time.”

In five seasons with the Jets, Pace has totaled 28 sacks.  After being released in a cost-cutting move, the club was happy to bring their jack of all trades back to the mix at OLB.“That was a big signing for us because it’s not just that he’s kind of like the glue,” Ryan said.  “We’re doing a lot of different things with him. We’re moving him all over the place.”Pace, whose eight sacks in Ryan’s inaugural season as head coach was a career-high, is a versatile cog who gives the Jets flexibility.  He still can get up the field, but his reliability setting the edge along with athleticism to cover means sometimes other players are going to get the glory.  Garrett McIntyreicon-article-link.gif has a good motor and Ricky Sappicon-article-link.gif will also look to push for playing time on the outside.But everything will start up front because the Jets have a few players who should demand double teams and there will be an opportunity for a better push up the middle.  Many pundits and fans were bewildered by the Jets’ second Round 1 selection on Draft Weekend — Sheldon Richardsonicon-article-link.gif.  

Some wondered if the selection of the Missouri DT was a wasted pick because the Jets have traditionally used a 3-4 as their base defense.  But the Green & White will continue to be multiple with their fronts and this Rex Ryan/Dennis Thurman led defense is not all two-gapping.  The tackle position, the Rush ‘Backer and the Will Backer are all 4-3 type positions. “To get him at 13, we thought was somewhat of a steal. The guy brings a lot of passion, a lot of energy to the game and to the position,” said defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman. “He will give us some inside presence as a pass rusher. We feel like with the drafting of (Quinton) Coples last year and Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif the year before and big Kenrick Ellisicon-article-link.gif, we have a defensive front we can be proud of and get pressure on the quarterback without necessarily having to blitz.”

“Half our defense was played in a 4-3, at least,” added Ryan.  “It doesn’t matter. Our thing is, just give us a good football player and this system will make a good player great.”Quarterbacks hate pressure up the middle and Richardson has the ability to make passers uneasy.  You now have the ability to pair up Richardson and Ellis in the middle, Wilkerson and Coples down at DE, David Harrisicon-article-link.gif at middle linebacker, Demario Davisicon-article-link.gif at the Will and Pace becomes the Sam ‘backer. 

If any team fails to put two men on Wilkerson, they are playing with fire.  He is a do it all talent who had five sacks last year despite commanding multiple people in the trenches.  Harris, who has 22.5 career sacks, is a sound rusher and the fast Davis will be an intriguing blitzer for the Jets as well.

While the tendency for us is to get caught up in the various fronts and reps for each player, the packages, personnel groupings and alignments are going to change week-to-week.  If the Pats and the Saints spread the Jets out and they counter with sub packages, Barnes might never come off the field.  But the Titans could play a lot of two-tight ends or jumbo packages and you might not see that much of Barnesy.

One of the great features of a Ryan-led defense is opportunity and he has promised to be more aggressive in 2013.  The Jets have a lot more speed in the front seven and they love their coverage ability on the outside.  So sit back and watch the overloads, the simulated pressures and the stunts — the Jets are going to bring the heat.  And don’t be surprised if a defender reaches a double-digit sack total for the first time since 2005.  

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-insidewithea/Is-a-Jet-in-Line-for-Double-Digit-Sacks/e60124e4-bf9e-4bad-a494-ab53a1e3ff04

We continue our Jets summer Q&A series with defensive back Aaron Berry. A one-time short-term replacement for Darrelle Revis, Berry looks to find his place on a roster that now includes Dee Milliner. His coverage skills, especially in man coverage, should help that process, though, as Rex Ryan places cover corners at a premium.

What's it like to be in your first offseason program with the Jets ?

It's great, finally getting back into the swing of things. It's great to get to know the defense to a T. Now I'm getting excited for training camp, I just want to get this thing rolling.

Do you see a spot you're pushing for in particular? Maybe the Nickel job, or somewhere else ?

Everything is up for grabs. You can't go into it thinking anyone has a solidified position you just have to go out there and play your game. You have to control the things you can control. Once you start worrying about all the other things, that's when you can't play your game. But if you can get out there and control what you can control, you're going to be fine.

Now that all the injuries are by the wayside, what's it like to run around out there ?

It's great, man, just to be around and be with the guys, it was great to be in the weight room working out with Justus (Galac) and getting back into the swing of things. The meeting room helped me out tremendously understanding the defense as a whole."

How do you like Tim McDonald, the new secondary coach ?

I love him, man. Tim is a great guy. He'll joke with you but when it comes time to get down to business, he means business. He understands us, he played 14 years in the league so he knows what to expect from us. He knows when to turn it on, and knows when to dial it down. So it's great to have a player/coach out there.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/07/jets_summer_qa_with_db_aaron_berry.html

• 2 weeks later...

Position: Secondary

ny_a_millinerd_200.jpg
Will Dee Milliner be ready to start by Week 1?

Projected starters: Antonio Cromartie, Dee Milliner, Dawan Landry, Josh Bush

Projected reserves: Kyle Wilson, Aaron Berry, Ellis Lankster, Antonio Allen, Darrin Walls, Jaiquawn Jarrett

New faces: Milliner, Landry, Jarrett

The departed: Darrelle Revis, LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Eric Smith

Player to watch: Milliner, naturally. He was the ninth overall pick in the draft and, ostensibly, will replace Revis. He will eventually replace Wilson as a starter, allowing Wilson to return to his nickel role. Whether that happens by Week 1 remains to be seen. Milliner, who underwent shoulder surgery in March, missed the entire offseason. When he's up to speed, Milliner has a chance to be special. He's fundamentally sound and not afraid to tackle. He doesn't have elite ball skills, but his cover skills should translate nicely in the Jets' man-to-man schemes.

Potential strength: Depth at cornerback. The Jets traded the best cornerback in the NFL to the Bucs -- Revis, in case you didn't know -- but they will survive because of Cromartie, Milliner and Wilson. Nowadays, you need three good corners in the pass-happy NFL. The Jets should be able to line up against any team without having to be afraid -- assuming Cromartie can duplicate last season's performance as the No. 1 corner.

Potential weakness: The Jets overhauled the safety position, letting LaRon Landry and Bell walk out the door. The replacements are Dawan Landry (LaRon's older brother) and ... well, that's a good question. Bush and Allen, both second-year players, are the leading candidates for the other starting job. Take your pick: Bush is better against the pass; Allen is the better run defender. Neither is a blue-chipper. Maybe new DBs coach Tim McDonald, a former All-Pro, still has something left in the tank.

Wild card: Rex Ryan and new defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, a former secondary coach, are smart cookies when it comes to camouflaging weaknesses. Maybe, just maybe, they can coach around the safety issue, using extra corners in the sub packages. That's not a far-fetched idea, considering their three AFC East opponents employ spread offenses. The back end of Ryan's defenses is built around the corners, not the safeties.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/24394/camp-preview-secondary-3

Archived